Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Hersheypark- Reese's Cupfusion and Breakers Edge reviews
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:02 am

bert425 wrote:wonderful report, Canobie.

El Toro, sadly, still sits (near the top) of my bucket list coasters. (it's in a park i've not been to, yet)

but over the past years, I've been making some progress on that list (TPR 2018 USA trip most certainly helped). . .and I'll knock a couple of biggies off my list later this year.

so goal in 2020 are: Dollywood, Magic Mountain, and SFGA.

Thanks! Those 3 parks (along with being great on their own) have three of my favorite coasters in Lightning Rod, Twisted Colossus, and El Toro. Those rides alone are worth the trips.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am

Great El Toro trip report! ;)

I've been obsessed with El Toro since I first rode it in 2009. It has sat solidly as my #1 wooden coaster because of the airtime on that first drop and the first few hills. I totally agree about your assessment of it. The middle section does feel less interesting compared with the intensity of the beginning and end, but it's at least a moment to catch your breath. However, when it's colder, the last half (and consequently the RT hill) are less intense.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks!

I thought the Rolling Thunder hill had plenty of airtime and the twister section seemed as wild as ever. I just noticed the return hills into the brake run (which don't do much even on a good day) were really slow.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Coasternerd3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am

What even is the goal of GongFu? lol

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 pm

The goal is to hit the gong hard enough to reach a certain decibel threshold.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Coasternerd3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:The goal is to hit the gong hard enough to reach a certain decibel threshold.

Sounds painful, but oddly satisfying. :lol:

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby i305isdaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:05 pm

It's great to hear that El Toro is still running like a bat out of hell.... after seeing the heavy trims added to the rehabbed Colossus this year I was scared that Six Flags might get some $-saving ideas.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:16 pm

Coasternerd3 wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:The goal is to hit the gong hard enough to reach a certain decibel threshold.

Sounds painful, but oddly satisfying. :lol:

As a player, sure. But just imagine the poor employee. :lol:

i305isdaddy wrote:It's great to hear that El Toro is still running like a bat out of hell.... after seeing the heavy trims added to the rehabbed Colossus this year I was scared that Six Flags might get some $-saving ideas.

I have to give Six Flags credit where it's due, but they have been doing a very good and proactive job retracking El Toro over the years. On most visits early in the season, I can spot fresh wood. I saw a lot of it in the twister finale this year.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:48 pm

I have to fully agree with you on Toro. I’m glad I’m not alone. No RMC I’ve ridden has matched the absolute insanity of El Toro’s airtime. The only one that has come close was Storm Chaser.

Granted, I’ve only been on four total. :lmao:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:04 pm

RMC airtime tends to be super strong pops as opposed to sustained airtime like Intamin hypers and pre-fabs. Both have their pluses so I'm glad I have both within driving distance of me.

Like you mentioned, Storm Chaser is one that does have sustained air. The camelbacks on Twisted Timbers do a great job of it as well. Same with those two big hills at the start of Steel Vengeance.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!