Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Islands of Adventure and the Hagrid's Line from Hell
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 am

coasterbill wrote:Great report. I really want to go to Enchanted Forest just because of how weird it is.

Thanks! Enchanted Forest really is one-of-a-kind.

Plus the Portland area has a ton of other interesting stuff nearby like a 600 foot waterfall, Mt. Hood, and (if you want to drive 1.5 hours) Fascination and Lusse skooters.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Halloween Horror Nights & Universal Studios Florida

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:24 am

The Power Surge was flippin' awesome.

Back when Cypress Gardens still had all of its fair rides, I used to spend a significant amount of time riding their Power Surge. That is one heck of a flat ride!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 am

I agree. I love Power Surges, especially when they have all the motion going. But it's rare to find one with the rotating base now.

Postby bert425 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:43 am

I love your reports. . you get to the most interesting places!

how in the world do you find the time?

and you take some amazing pictures too!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks!

I'm fortunate to do a lot of traveling for work. In the past year, I've had trips to my company's other sites (both US and international), vendor sites, conferences, and customer sites. And since I'm usually stuck on a plane for most of those trips, I can easily write these up while they're fresh on my mind and save them.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:43 am

Oaks Park

My favorite documentary of all-time is PBS’s Great Old Amusement Parks. If you haven’t seen it, stop what you’re doing right now and go watch it. One of my bucket list goals has been to hit every (operating) park featured in this program. Oaks Park was one of the places featured.

Oaks Park was shown as a well-shaded park with a set of Lusse Skooters and a wooden roller rink. But what would I find on my visit 20 years later?

Oaks Park Train.JPG
I'm going out on a limb and guessing these are oaks.

My next stop was the Skooter. Due to time constraints, I had to cut out the Knoebels Skooters on my visit earlier this year. So the Oaks versions seemed like a worthy consolation prize.

Seemed was the key word. As I approached the bumper car arena, I encountered this abomination.

Cosmic Crash.JPG
What are you and what have you done with my Lusse skooters?

I haven’t followed Oaks too closely over the years, but a quick search online reveals the Lusse cars have been gone for almost a half decade. It was a sad sight to see.

The roller rink was exactly as advertised though. Since I skate as well as Golden Horse designs roller coasters, I took a pass. But I have to admit the atmosphere was infectious with the music and disco ball.

Roller Rink.JPG
Derek Zoolander couldn't do this. They're all going left.

The classic Carousel was a mixed bag. On one hand, the wood-carved animals were absolute eye-candy. I was particularly enamored with the rare creatures like frogs and pigs. But it had one major drawback- the music.

I get that not every park still has a band organ. When that isn’t the case, I just ask that the park plays clear, crisp music. Oaks didn’t do that. I’m sad to say the audio was quite choppy and muffled. 6 out of 10

Carousel Selfie.jpg
Woohoo a kangaroo!

One replacement I agree wholeheartedly with was the addition of Adrenaline Peak. I never rode Looping Thunder, but I have to imagine a snazzy new Eurofighter is better than a Pinfari death machine.

Adrenaline Peak is the star attraction Oaks needed. Even though this ride has an almost identical layout to my home park’s Eurofighter, Arenaline Peak is far better for one reason- lap bars. Being able to enjoy the compact layout without headbanging is so refreshing.

And the lap bars make the ejector air on the first drop and hangtime on the inversions even stronger. Just don’t put your hands up. Oaks is very strict about this. 7 out of 10

Adrenaline Peak Drop (Day).JPG
I love the paint scheme!

Adrenaline Peak Loop.JPG
It's an upgraded Untamed. The lap bars are godsends.

The other coaster had the longest line of anything in the park. Zoom boasted a whopping 10 minute wait. I went in expecting a mundane kiddie coaster, but this thing actually had some balls. Not full balls, but puberty balls.

The drop into the helix had some real whip to it. And the finale felt like a bucking bull. It felt like a more intense RMC pre-lift. I bet you didn’t expect me to compare a kids coaster to an RMC. :lol: 4 out of 10

Zoom Coaster.JPG
Zoom, zoom, zoom brought to you by Mazda.

The park’s most thrilling flat is the Scream’n Eagle frisbee. While the spinning pulled some good Gs and the max swing had some awesome floater, there was a problem. Notice how I said max swing and not max swings. The ride only had one max swing. That’s just a tease.

It’s also worth noting this ride may have some of the most violently lowering restraints I’ve ever seen. I’m pretty sure this things are spring-loaded to launch downwards, so be ready for that. 5 out of 10

Scream'N Eagle.JPG
The midway really came alive at night.

As the sun began to set over Portland, I climbed aboard the Ferris Wheel for a bird’s eye view. While I got a great view of the park, I didn’t have the best view of the city.

Oaks Park has the same issue as Canobie’s Ferris Wheel, the view is blocked by giant trees. While I was able to see some skyscrapers poking in the distance, I feel like a few extra feet would have made a major difference here. 6 out of 10

Portland Sunset 2.JPG
Skyscrapers and a sunset.

I ended the night with a few more laps on Adrenaline Peak. I could only ride it 1-2 more times since I had a bad headache (not from the ride) and the Gs at the base of the drop were a bit too much to take. But I was able to enjoy the stunning lighting package.

Adrenaline Peak Lift (Night).JPG
Now this is a lighting package!

Adrenaline Peak Barrel Roll (Night).JPG
The track changes colors as the train passes over it.

Oaks Park is a survivor. It’s a rare city park that hasn’t bit the dust, so they must be doing something right. Oaks Park isn’t exactly a place I’ll be rushing back to, but it’s great for what it is. And judging by all the happy families, I think they’ve satisfied most of their customers.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:59 am

A Eurofighter with lap bars sounds wonderful! :lover:
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby bert425 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:01 am

the Kangaroo on the Carousel is awesome.

was it at least Carousel Music?

(still will never get over the stain of riding the SFOT carousel that was blasting Will Smith's "Getting Jiggy Wit It"

bleh)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:11 am

jedimaster1227 wrote:A Eurofighter with lap bars sounds wonderful! :lover:

They are. It's so nice not having to ride defensively.

bert425 wrote:the Kangaroo on the Carousel is awesome.

was it at least Carousel Music?

(still will never get over the stain of riding the SFOT carousel that was blasting Will Smith's "Getting Jiggy Wit It"

bleh)

Yes it was carousel music at least. The audio quality just wasn't there.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:54 pm

Thanks for the report! I've missed Oaks during my Portland visits, good to know what they have to offer.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!