Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Dutch Wonderland- Merlin's Mayhem and a lot of charm
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ Thanks! So I'm guessing you went to Story Land or Coney Island afterwards? :lol:

I'm glad the red train was running fine for you. I'm just glad the supervisor thought the same on the blue train at least for my visit so I know I'm not going crazy.

Haha, apparently that where we separate for our seasonal trips. Despite growing up in the Northeast, I have yet to do Coney Island, Story Land, and even your namesake Canobie. A few times I've tried to plan out a trip to hit Story Land, Canobie, and Funtown Splashtown, but it's just never panned out. One of these years for sure!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:37 pm

^ If you fly to Logan, Canobie is way easier to get to than SFNE. Basically all the big New England parks outside of SFNE have a good wooden coaster and charm.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:41 am

Six Flags New England- Redemption

If you read my previous installment from SFNE, then you’ll know I only rode Goliath. I still can’t believe it myself. My short visit coincided perfectly with temporary breakdowns for all the park’s signature attractions.

It was an unfortunate series of events (like that live action Jim Carrey movie) on the way to Lake George. So I needed to redeem myself on the way home.

I figured an hour and a half would be plenty of time to ride both Wicked Cyclone and Superman. But I quickly learned I lost an hour. Originally the park had 10 pm closings on Sundays this summer. I learned they were cut back to 9 pm.

Ranking coasters is something I enjoy doing. Others dread it. But in this scenario it was important. Superman or Wicked Cyclone? I only had time to ride one.

Put a gun to my head (or in this case the clock), I’ll answer Superman. I’ll take Wicked Cyclone in any seat over Superman in every seat but the front. But Superman’s front row reigns supreme.

As I made my way towards DC Superhero Adventures, I saw a sight for sore eyes. Superman operating! There were four trains ahead of me, so I figured I could comfortably get my front row ride and maybe even a bonus ride.

Superman Lfit (Sunset).jpg
Almost nothing was going to stop me from a front row ride.

But I was counting my eggs before they hatched. Superman went down. You could say I was experiencing a case of deja vu. Except this time, there was no way I was going to ride that green abomination.

The cause for the delay was a twisted seatbelt. It took maintenance 15 minutes to unravel the knot, but eventually Superman reopened right before closing. My odds of a front row ride looked bleak until I found a fellow single rider and paired up with them. Score!

It ended up being the second to last train of the night. I felt triumphant as the train ascended the lift to the Superman theme. This wouldn’t have been possible had I not blown past every rest stop on the way home. :lol:

Superman was fantastic. The rush of wind mixed with powerful airtime was the perfect way to end the weekend. 9.5 out of 10

Superman Night.jpg
I felt like I had won the Super Bowl. To the Patriots, that's called February.

I did get a bonus ride though…just not on Superman. You see, Six Flags New England has been doing something really cool and unexpected this year. They have been keeping the Carousel open past closing.

And it’s not because it has had an hour wait. That’s what goes on at Harley Quinn. Rather out of the goodness of their heart, SFNE keeps the Carousel open since its located right next to the park exit.

Carousel (Entrance).jpg
Two thumbs up for Six Flags keeping this open past closing.

My next visit to Six Flags New England should be longer. And it will hopefully include a few rides on Superman and Wicked Cyclone. But it will undoubtedly not include a ride on Goliath.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 am

Glad you got that late ride in on Superman! That honestly is such a great coaster, it was running excellent when I rode last week, I even got airtime in the little twist-hills between the helices and before the second tunnel. My trick is usually to ride in row 2, as it's the same car and you get basically the same effect as row 1, but a much shorter wait.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:09 am

It has always run great in the heat, but the news wheels has had it running great all year (albeit loudly).

I have ridden Superman in row two. While the airtime and the forces are the same, I miss the rush of wind making my eyes water.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Chasehat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:29 am

I feel like I’m one of the few people who prefer Superman in the back seat. While the airtime is a tick better in the first half towards the front, the drop is obviously much better in the back and I’ve always felt the hills in the spaghetti bowl have much better airtime towards the back.
Top 10 coasters
1. El Toro 2. Superman (SFNE) 3. Steel Vengance
4. Skyrush 5. Maverick 6. Millennium Force
7. Wicked Cyclone 8. Storm Chaser
9. Boulder Dash 10. Fury 325

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:20 am

I think the airtime may be a bit more abrupt in the second half towards the back, but I'll still take the rush of wind over that.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:22 am

Brockton Fair

What did you do as a kid during a car ride? Sleep? Play Game Boy? Ask “are we there yet” until your face turned blue? I was an odd duckling. I’d spend my car rides combing the skyline for carnivals.

My parents were so unbelievably understanding. Almost every time I saw that portable Ferris Wheel, they agreed to stop so I could ride the Gravitron for the umpteenth time. But they drew the line at one carnival, the Brockton Fair.

And like any child, I of course wanted the thing I couldn’t have. So I bided my time, patiently waiting until I had my own car and health insurance until one day I could visit the Brockton Fair.

Brockton Fair Sign (2019).JPG
There she is in all her glory.

Brockton isn’t exactly the best neighborhood. So I definitely understand my parents’ viewpoint now that I’m older. The fair specifically is usually home to at least 1-2 fights per year. For that reason, I always make sure to visit during the day when the crowd is predominantly families.

2019 marked my second visit to the Brockton Fair. Before my visit, I consulted the Reithoffer Fairs mobile app (yes that’s a thing) to see the ride lineup. It looked like they copy and pasted the lineup from 2017.

However, that ride lineup was laughably inaccurate. We’re talking Six Flags wait time inaccurate. I’d estimate only half the rides were correct. On the bright side, this meant there were two surprise coaster credits waiting for me.

Giraffe Upright 1.JPG
They also had animals, but I wasn't a fan of the enclosures.

Soak the Bloke.JPG
No bloke to soak today.

The first was the Wild Cat. This is one of those Interpark galaxy coasters that have taken the US fair circuit by storm. If you thought Morey’s Rollie’s Coaster had unnecessary OSTRs, wait until you see the restraints on the Wild Cat. You have a seatbelt, lap bar, and comfort collars.

Unfortunately, this was one of the single car models. As a result, the drops didn’t have any airtime and the coaster really crawled through the helices. 3 out of 10

Wild Cat Station Hill.JPG
Wild Cat was declawed. It really crawled through the course.

The second new credit was far more embarrassing, the Wacky Mouse. The most noteworthy thing about it was the fact that one of the employees stood in the middle of the layout while the train cycled. Oh how I love carnies. 2 out of 10

Wacky Mouse Employee.JPG
I'm glad everyone kept their hands inside the train. Otherwise, they would have hit that poor carny.

I also rerode the Indy 500, which is a portable flitzer. If you remember my 2017 report, you know I got stuck on the lift of this ride and was rescued by a carny pounding the wheels with a block of wood.

My ride this year was far less eventful, as I crested the lift with ease. Flitzers aren’t particularly forceful, but the twisted, headchopper-filled layout is enjoyable. 5 out of 10

Also, what exactly is the blocking mechanism on a flitzer? I noticed several cars on the circuit at once, but no mid-course brake sections.

Indy 500 Overview (2019).JPG
The ride was naked this year.

Indy 500 Drop.JPG
Sneaking a peek at the backside.

Indy 500 Turn 2.JPG
Is this the last Flitzer in the US?

But the stars of the show were the flat rides. My personal favorite was Speed, the KMG booster. Usually these rides have the same short cycle- 3 rotations one way and 3 rotations the other way.

Speed was different. It had 10 consecutive rotations in the same direction. I sort of liked this better because there was no reprieve from the craziness. Flipping wildly while diving towards the ground is quite the thrill. 9 out of 10

Speed Overview.JPG
It wasn't on the wristband, but it was well worth it considering the long cycle.

Stinger was my second favorite. This is a portable version of that insane Mind Warp ride at Fantasy Island. All you need to know is that this is one of the most bizarre frisbees out there.

The initial swings produce some airtime, but that’s all you get. Usually that would be a black mark for a frisbee. However, Mind Warp isn’t about the airtime. The first half is all about the insane positive Gs on the downswings and hangtime over the top.

But the second half is what truly makes Stinger insane. By this point, the ride stops inverting. Then the magic happens; the seats unlock. Just imagine bolting a zipper cage to a frisbee and you have Stinger. The whipping and snapping was simply out-of-control. 9 out of 10

Stinger Inverting.JPG
It looks like a normal frisbee. And at first it acts like a normal frisbee.

Stinger Rocking.JPG
But then the seats unlock and the profanities start.

I then got a bird’s eye view of the fair from atop the Sky Flyer. This wasn’t a particularly tall model, but it was about as good as you’re going to get from a fun fair in the US. 5 out of 10

Sky Flyer Base.JPG
The ride was dispatched with the op still in the base of the ride.

The fair also had some IP-themed fun houses. The first was the Hero Zone. I think this is the first ride in the world to combine both Marvel and DC characters. Hmmm, I wonder how they managed that…

Superhero Raiders.JPG
When Avengers and Justice League collide.

The other was the Ice Palace, a fun house with a Frozen facade. Curiosity got the better of me and I went inside. And I now have a new number one, a new worst fun house!

The effects themselves would have been ok; however, almost all of them were broken. Fortunately, it looks like they were trying to fix them. Why else would there be hard hats on the floor? :lol: 1 out of 10

Ice Palace (Exterior).JPG
If you thought this fun house would be good, let it go.

Ice Palace (Interior).JPG
Note the hard hat in the bottom right.

It took me about an hour to make a lap around the fair and that was plenty of time. I got the new coaster credits, rerode the fair’s two craziest flats, and escaped unharmed.

Last but not least, anyone who wanted to learn firsthand what it’s like to work at a carnival missed their opportunity. Reithoffer was offering patrons $12 per hour to help dismantle rides later that night. These signs were posted at every single ride. :lol:

Help Wanted (Close Up).JPG
I kid you not. And I'm sure you get paid under the table too.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby CenturyFlyer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:39 pm

I love me some sketchy fair goodness. I'll be riding my first Flitzer in about a week in Ocean City, MD. I have EXTREMELY high hopes. ;)

Those fun houses don't even try to avoid copyright like some do with airbrush designs - I mean, the Frozen characters look like they were copied and pasted!
There is only one true Blue Streak!

Postby bert425 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:18 pm

your fair pics are fantastic, thanks for sharing.

and I'm envious as all hell that you got a carousel ride in the post-park-opening hours! So Jelly!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!