Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Visiting Myrtle Beach's Most Successful Amusement Park!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:19 am

Parque de Atracciones de Madrid

On the way home from Europe, I had a layover in Madrid. Most would take in the sights. Instead, I visited two Parques Reunidos parks. :lol:

Both Parque de Atracciones de Madrid and Parque Warner have enough attractions to fill a day. However, in order to fit both parks, I needed to make a speed run through both.

Ultimately, I figured it was safer to start with Parques de Atracciones de Madrid since they didn’t appear to offer a skip-the-line pass. Appear is the key word as they had one available for sale at the park. However, it wasn't needed. In fact, I had the opposite problem.

Park Entrance (Far).JPG

Abismo Testing 2.JPG
The park was already testing things over an hour before the park opened. A+ for them!

The park was empty. Usually that’s an enthusiast’s dream, but not if the park requires a full train. This proved to be an issue on the park’s two signature coasters- Abismo and Tornado.

Tornado Station.jpg
I don't even think there are 23 other people in the park yet...

Until crowds picked up, I knocked out the other five coasters. My first stop was Tarantula, the Maurer spinner with an odd layout. Most spinners focus on spinning, hairpin turns, and helices. This one had barely any of that.

Instead, this one felt much bigger since it’s located on a hill. As a result, the focus is on sizable drops. These drops are particularly good if you’re traveling backwards. Mix in two nice horseshoe turns and you have a well above average spinner (even though it barely spins). 7 out of 10

Tarantula Drop.JPG
All those big drops are weird but awesome.

I then then trekked across the park and walked onto Vertigo. The top section was your typical wild mouse, but the second half was a bit uncomfortable. I’ve always wondered what would happen if the second half was unbraked. And now I know.

As expected, you get good air on the drops. It just so happens the airtime becomes a bit painful due to the lap bars. So it’s hard to say if I’d prefer the brake there. 5 out of 10

Vertigo Brake Run.JPG
Say hello to the only brakes on the entire ride.

My only wait was for TNT Tren de la Mina, which can best be described as a mash-up between a mine train and a Vekoma roller skater. The helices were forceless, but this was a very smooth ride.

And it had some airtime I wasn't expecting. Now I only got one ride and was directed towards the middle of the train, but even in that seat, I still got 2-3 weak pops of air. I imagine there may possibly be more air towards the front or back. 6 out of 10

TNT Tren de la Mina Overbank.JPG

Sad and pathetic me of course rode Patrulla Canina. Half the Zamperla kiddie coasters are smooth. Half are not. This is in the latter half. The 3 laps couldn’t end soon enough. 1 out of 10

Patrulla Canina.JPG
If a dog has to pee, I hope it hits the coaster instead of the fire hydrant.

Next door was the odd Padrinos Voladores. This is one of those suspended Zamperla mini mice. While it looks cool to have another suspended coaster, you barely swing since the ride tops out at like 5 mph. It may be a snoozefest, but it’s perfectly comfortable for an adult. 2 out of 10

Padrinos Voladores Swinging.JPG
Who needs Eagle Fortress when you have this bad boy?

Since it was now an hour past opening, I figured there’d be enough thrill seekers in the park for me to ride Abismo. And I was right. By this point, Abismo had 3-4 train wait, but I was able to board immediately when they called for a single rider.

Sky Loops are fairly rare clones, but I had ridden one previously at Skyline Park. As I remembered, the hangtime on the lift and barrel rolls is incredible. But the rest is what differentiates Abismo.

Rather than returning right to the station, Abismo rockets through forceful overbank, a camelback with some major and sustained ejector airtime, and a smaller hill with some good floater airtime. Then came the brakes.

Except unlike the other 99% of coasters out there, that brake takes place on a vertical lift. This causes the awkward lap bar to punch you in the gut. It’s an unfortunate end to an otherwise smooth and thrilling coaster. 7.5 out of 10

Abismo Overview.JPG
The rare and unique extended sky loop.

Abismo Camelback.JPG
I can feel the airtime just looking at this photo.

Last but not least, I was able to ride Tornado. After camping by the entrance for 10 minutes, we had enough people to fill a train. I only got one ride in the back and consider myself lucky to have even ridden it.

I got some good whip on the first drop and both vertical loops had some solid force. But the highlight was the extremely snappy corkscrew over the midway. I was expecting a second corkscrew afterwards, but the rest of the ride just had some ok helices.

I was intrigued how a traditional Intamin invert would ride (RIP Volcano). And it’s somewhere in between a B&M invert and a Vekoma SLC. There’s light headbanging throughout, but it’s not the endless assault of a SLC. 7 out of 10

Tornado Corkscrew.JPG
I hope everyone has secured their loose articles.

I also need to take a moment to commend the park on its beauty. Most of the park is covered by trees, but the few open areas are populated with gorgeous flowers and fountains. You can tell this park takes landscaping seriously.

Fountains.JPG
What a gorgeous park!

While none of the park’s coasters are true standouts, Parque de Atracciones de Madrid had an odd and enjoyable coaster lineup. If I only had one day in Madrid, I’d personally pick Parque Warner on a return trip. But first timers should consider what I did in order to get a flavor of both parks.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Nickelodeon Universe (MN) & Family Kingdom

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:10 pm

Late to the party but love your reports! I also went to Walibi Holland while in Europe and I loved both the park and Untamed. We did a nighttime visit during their Halloween event and the temperatures dropped into the high 40s, so Untamed ran a little less crazy for us, likely due to the temperature. But we thought it ran perfectly and it reminded me of a love child between Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers, in the best way.

One of these days I have to visit Efteling, likely in 2021 when we do a trip to Walibi Belgium for their new Intamin Megacoaster, and we'll likely go back to Walibi Holland again then, too. I just wish I could have ridden Bob before it got taken down, as now the only two Intamin Swiss Bobsled coasters remaining are the ones here in the states, and they're both the cloned Sarajevo Bobsled model.

I've also always wanted to ride a traditional-style Intamin Invert, as they look incredible. I definitely trust your judgment when you say there's head-banging though. Looking forward to seeing your report from Parque Warner Madrid, that park has always intrigued me.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Tarantula is definitely underrated! It's so great the speed at which it takes the drops and corners and it's nice to have such a unique layout!

Postby bert425 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:38 pm

you take some amazing pics!

I always love seeing your updates.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:12 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Late to the party but love your reports! I also went to Walibi Holland while in Europe and I loved both the park and Untamed. We did a nighttime visit during their Halloween event and the temperatures dropped into the high 40s, so Untamed ran a little less crazy for us, likely due to the temperature. But we thought it ran perfectly and it reminded me of a love child between Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers, in the best way.

One of these days I have to visit Efteling, likely in 2021 when we do a trip to Walibi Belgium for their new Intamin Megacoaster, and we'll likely go back to Walibi Holland again then, too. I just wish I could have ridden Bob before it got taken down, as now the only two Intamin Swiss Bobsled coasters remaining are the ones here in the states, and they're both the cloned Sarajevo Bobsled model.

I've also always wanted to ride a traditional-style Intamin Invert, as they look incredible. I definitely trust your judgment when you say there's head-banging though. Looking forward to seeing your report from Parque Warner Madrid, that park has always intrigued me.

Thanks! I definitely visited Untamed on a warmer day and the track was slick too from the rain.

Bob felt identical to Alpine Bobsled, just in a more wooded setting. And I feel like that ride will meet a similar fate to Bob in the next few years.

Tornado definitely wasn't as good as a B&M invert in terms of forces or smoothness, but it still was a fun ride.

SharkTums wrote:Tarantula is definitely underrated! It's so great the speed at which it takes the drops and corners and it's nice to have such a unique layout!

Absolutely. The only other spinner I can think of that focuses on drops that big is Dragon's Fury.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 pm

bert425 wrote:you take some amazing pics!

I always love seeing your updates.

Thanks! Coasters are about the only thing I can photograph correctly. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:51 am

Parque Warner Madrid

After a week of cool and rainy temperatures, I was in for a rude awakening at Parque Warner Madrid. I had already started to melt earlier that morning at Parque de Atracciones Madrid, but that park had lots of shade. Parque Warner Madrid did not, which was a problem on a 100+ degree day.

I was actually stunned to learn this used to be a Six Flags park. It looked far too nice! The only things reminding me of Six Flags were the DC and Looney Tunes characters.

Park Entrance.JPG

Fountain.JPG
This park looked too nice to have once been a Six Flags park.

Coches de Choque Arena.JPG
Even the bumper cars are very well themed.

Pressed for time, I grabbed a skip-the-line pass and immediately ducked into Aventura de Scooby-Doo for some glorious air-conditioning. It was also a decent shooter. It wasn’t too long, but all the targets worked.

This was essentially Boo Blasters. The funny part is that the Cedar Fair Boo Blasters started as Scooby-Doo dark rides. I always thought those rides must have stripped out a ton of theming when they were converted, but it was indistinguishable from this ride. 6 out of 10

Scooby-Doo Sign.JPG
Ruh roh Raggy.

The AC was refreshing, but I needed a more permanent solution. So I took a ride on Rapidos ACME. As a river rapids ride, this ride is a failure. The rapids do nothing. In fact, the most powerful rapid is oddly located in the station itself.

But it succeeds as a soaker. Rather than using rapids, this one uses Looney Tunes themed sprayers and waterfalls. I actually prefer this approach for the uniqueness. Story Land does something similar with Dr. Geyser’s, but this one was considerably longer, wetter, and better themed. 9 out of 10

Rapidos ACME.JPG
Usually I'm praying the waterfalls miss me. Not today.

Soaked to the bone, I figured it was a good time to ride the junior coasters. Adults dread sitting in wet seats, but kids eat that sort of thing up. So I felt no guilt riding them. :lol:

Correcaminos Bip Bip surprised me. I was expecting something along the lines of a roller skater, but this thing had some good yank on the first drop and a pop of air midway through. Plus, it’s themed to Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote so it gets bonus points from me. 6 out of 10

Correcaminos Drop.JPG
Silly coyote, you can't catch the Road Runner.

Tom y Jerry is your typical Zierer Tivoli, but this one is dressed up quite nicely. Since you’re supposed to be the size of a mouse, you weave through and around all sorts of oversized items. 4 out of 10

Tom y Jerry Carton.JPG
Too much pulp.

Up next was my most anticipated ride in the park, Rio Bravo. And it didn’t disappoint. I was always fascinated by this flume. It looked massive and was tucked inside a faux mountain like all my favorite flumes. But the highlight was a surprise element in that mountain.

SPOILER

I knew this flume went backwards. And per usual, the backwards section began with a drop. What I didn’t know was that there was an airtime hill with a bonafide pop of ejector airtime. Keep in mind this occurs in total darkness and you have zero restraints.

END SPOILER

Most of the course is extremely well themed. The outdoor bits pass through a western town and all the indoor bits (except the 2nd lift) have props to look at. The ride also mixes in a few rapids. In fact, I’d say the rapids on this flume are better than those on the park’s river rapids ride. :lol:

Last but not least, the climactic final drop was quite good. You really felt the size and it even delivered a tiny pop of air. And the splash was just what the doctor ordered on a hot day. It was soaking! This flume is the complete package. It has thrills, spills, and theming. 10 out of 10

Rio Bravo Drop 2.JPG
This looked like a cross of Splash and Big Thunder Mountain.

If you’ve read my reports, you know I can tolerate almost any wooden coaster. Taking a look at the worst coasters on TPR’s 2018 poll.

Hades 360? Amazing.

Predator and Zeus? Great.

Grizzly, Wilde Beast, & Mighty Canadian Minebuster? Not good, but smooth enough.

Bandit? Bumpy, but rideable.

I finally hit my limit. Coaster Express is the worst coaster I’ve ever ridden.

The scariest part is that Parque Warner knows this thing is brutal. They’ve pulled out all the stops to slow it down. Trims? Of course. Slow lift? Better, you come to a complete stop at the top before crawling over it. But none of this matters. This ride will destroy you.

I always thought Coaster Express was another Cyclone clone. But this is something much worse. It’s a 120 foot, 4500+ foot long twister. I can't recall any specific element, I just remember the constant jackhammering and concussive blasts.
I never rode Son of Beast, but I have to imagine Coaster Express is like that ride minus the loop.

In a weird twist of fate, one of the biggest issues are the beloved Intamin T-bar restraints. On a smooth ride, these minimalistic restraints are incredible. But on a ride that constantly jackhammers, it's a major problem. My legs mercilessly kept slamming into the center bar.

I’d say Coaster Express needs to burn in the Spanish sun and combust into flames, but I’m holding out hope RMC can do something with this colossal structure. 0 out of 10

Coaster Express Camelback.JPG
I now know the true meaning of pain.

I needed the glass smooth ride of a B&M, so I boarded Batman: Arkham Asylum. For those who thought running Batman backwards was too much, what about putting VR on the Caped Crusader?

The thought of greyout-inducing vertical loops, oppresive heat, and a phone screen an inch from my face did not sound appealing, so I rode Batman in its original state.

This Batman was every bit as forceful as the ones stateside, but it had this weird, audible rattle. I never felt a rattle, I just heard it. SFFT’s Goliath does the same thing. 8 out of 10

Batman Queue Board.JPG
VR on a Batman coaster was not for me.

Compare that to Superman la Atraaccion de Acero. There, the rattle is very tangible. I always heard this was one of the best floorless coasters, but I think it’s one of the worst.

The one thing Superman did well was airtime. Unlike most B&M loopers, this one had a straight drop with floater air more reminiscent of a hyper coaster. The drop off the MCBR and the final bunny hill also had great floater airtime.

Beyond the rattle, the inversions on Superman simply are not good. And that’s a problem for a ride that goes upside-down 7 times! The zero-G roll had some decent hangtime, but the other 6 inversions were unbelievably forceless. Superman is still fun, but it was quite a disappointment. 6 out of 10

Superman Overbank.JPG
I'd say the sun messed with this photo, but Superman's track is really that faded.

Usually I don’t look forward to riding a clone featured at my home park, but I was looking forward to Stunt Fall. If you’ve ever perused the SFNE thread, you’re almost guaranteed to find someone whining about the Premier trains on Goliath.

And you know what? It’s 100% warranted. Those trains blow. They turned a smooth and enjoyable coaster into a painful and unreliable mess. Meanwhile, Stunt Fall still had the original Vekoma trains.

And the result? I enjoyed it! It wasn’t perfect since there was some headbanging throughout, but I’m willing to accept that for such an intense ride. I particularly love the first drop on these giant inverted boomerangs. 6 out of 10

Stunt Fall Spike.JPG
100% free of Premier Rides trains. Thank the Lord.

I was running out of time, so I made my way back to the Wild West for one last ride on Rio Bravo. But then, a dangerous thought crossed my mind.

“Just how rough could Coaster Express be in the back row?”

I was morbidly curious. I knew I was basically putting a hand to a hot stove, but I just had to know. I didn’t think Coaster Express could get any worse, but it did.

The front was non-stop pain. But at least the pain stopped when the ride ended. In the back, it felt like I broke my back. That’s exactly what I wanted to feel like before boarding a 7 hour flight home. :lol:

Road Runner Pillow.jpg
I needed this pillow after Coaster Express.

I definitely wished I had more time at Parque Warner. I love parks that go all-in on the theming like Parque Warner. Except unlike most parks that do this, Parque Warner focuses on thrill rides.

The lack of a signature coaster is the park’s biggest weakness, but they have a structure ready to be converted into a top 10 ride. Please Parque Warner. Get Alan Schilke and RMC on the phone.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:39 am

I really like Parque Warner Madrid. Is it fair to say they don't have a signature coaster when they have two really decent B&M's!?!? I mean for a park in Spain that's not Port Aventura that seems pretty great. Did you get to eat any food while there or were you too busy? We found air conditioning and good food which was a nice surprise at a park like this that we also felt would be very corporate and similar to a US Six Flags/Cedar Fair park from the 90's.

And yes, burn Coaster Express to the ground. The supports don't even deserved to be reused for a good coaster, just kill it with fire!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:17 am

^ For me the star was that log flume. But from a coaster perspective, I found Superman just ok (not sure if I rode it on a bad day) and a Batman clone is always great (just not unique). Maybe Coaster Express could get the Gwazi treatment where hardly anything was reused. :lol:

I didn't have time to eat since I only had a limited amount of time before returning to the airport. That's good to know if I make it back.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:12 pm

Bandit and Coaster Express were mixed up in my mind too. Wow that truly looks like the worst coaster ever. I'd have so many conflicting feelings riding with that Intamin T bar because those are glorious lap bars.

Speeding through parks isn't something you do very often, is it? Kudos though, if you have the opportunity to visit, go for it!

Signed, a one time 5pm-12am Disneyland parkhopper. :lol:
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!