Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Hersheypark- Reese's Cupfusion and Breakers Edge reviews
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby gardyloo! » Thu May 09, 2019 10:42 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ Most of these are written at the airport or on the plane. Usually I've already seen the "new releases" on the plane's entertainment system.

Still impressed dude. It's great to read through them!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 09, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks, glad people enjoy them!
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 10, 2019 5:25 am

Parc Asterix

Parc Asterix was neck and neck with Disneyland Paris for the most anticipated park on my trip. Few parks can match a Disney for me, but there’s one archetype that can- a well-themed park with top-end thrill rides (ex. Silver Dollar City, Busch Gardens, etc). And boy did Parc Asterix deliver.

I had zero familiarity with the Asterix comics going into my visit. And in no way did that negatively impact my visit. After my visit, I found that Asterix is to ancient history as Veggie Tales is to religion. The cartoonish twist on history presented a very unique and cheery atmosphere.

Main Street.jpg
Parc Asterix was gorgeous.

I started with Vol D’Icare on the way to Zeus and it took my breath away…just not in the good way. This coaster’s restraints are bizarre; it’s a sliding t-bar like a bobsled coaster. MCBR 1 did nothing. MCBR 2 did nothing. MCBR 3 tried to give me a vasectomy. Calling the stop abrupt is an understatement. The stop on a Schwarzkopf Wildcat is abrupt. This was just brutal. The t-bar delivered a direct shot to my nuts.

Outside of that, Vol D’Icare is your average family coaster. Just be careful it doesn’t prevent you from having a family. 4 out of 10

Vol D'Icare Overview.jpg
Guys, wear a cup for this one.

No more messing around, it was time for the panty-wearing Zeus. And I have to be honest, I was both nervous and excited to ride Tonnerre de Zeus. On one hand, I knew Zeus in peak form was a world-class coaster, as evidenced by multiple first place finishes in the Mitch Hawker poll. On the other hand, I’ve heard Zeus is temperamental and can run like absolute doggy doo doo.

Zeus (Under).jpg
Laugh at my panties and I will strike you down.

The verdict? It definitely wasn’t running in peak form. Some of it may have been attributed to it being a cooler day, but the ride sounded like death. The screeching was so bad I can still hear it all the way back in Boston. 2019 POVs are coming in about 10 seconds slower than older POVs. Yikes! But even a hobbled Zeus is still a great wooden coaster.

The first drop is arguably the best of any traditional wooden coaster. This one runs a rare 7-car PTC train. The yank combined with the drop’s steepness provides some insane ejector air. There's also another drop after the big helix with airtime rivaling Raven's 5th drop. Zeus didn't have as many airtime moments as expected, but those present were awesome.

Where Zeus truly shined was the laterals. I know Zeus is the God of Thunder, but you could convince me he’s the God of Laterals too. The sustained lats in the 540 degree helix aren’t far behind the Legend’s famous double helix. You also have great lats on several turnarounds and there are a few sneaky hills with kinks on the drop.

Zeus was bleeding speed and screeching quite loudly after the big helix. Those bunny hills in the middle of the ride looked ripe for airtime, but there was none to be had. Fortunately the drops off the turnarounds and on-ride photo drop still provided nice pops of ejector air simply because of how steep they were.

I also want to note that I didn’t find the coaster rough at all. That included multiple rides in wheel seats. I’ve noticed a lot of wooden coasters with aggressive, lateral-heavy layouts often are misclassified as rough. Zeus is one of those woodies. Sure it’s bouncy at points, but there was a time before RMCs.

As I experienced it, Tonnerre de Zeus was a great coaster capable of so much more. Zeus at its best is right up there with the best of the best. This ride has some serious laterals and ejector air. I just wish it was able to maintain its speed all the way through. 8.5 out of 10

Tonnerre de Zeus Overview.jpg
Zeus is a difficult ride to photograph. Most of it takes place in a backstage area.

Tonnerre de Zeus Finale.jpg
Unfortunately Zeus was crawling by this point, but it was a nice photo op at least.

Normal disk’os are enjoyable flats, but not must rides for me. I always make a point to ride disk’o coasters. No I’m not a credit whore. Well I am, but you know what I mean. I don’t count disk’o coasters :lol: And Parc Asterix has one of the best in Discobelix.

These rides all seem to have the same cycle and forces. What differentiates this one is the location on the pond and two neat effects- a synchronized splashdown effect and a flamethrower. Just be sure to ride this one early since it gets one of the longest queues in the park. 8 out of 10

Discobelix Overview.jpg
The disk'o coasters are way better if you ask me.

Discobelix Splashdown.jpg
It also helps when they have water.

Discobelix Fire.jpg
And fire.

Discobelix Bins.jpg
Parc Asterix so ridiculously efficient. For example, on Discobelix they put up a temporary barrier after each ride. This prevents the usual most-pit of people boarding of exiting. They also have two separate wheelie bins that go back and forth to expedite loading.

The park’s newest coaster is Pegase Express, an out-and-back version of Firechaser Express. And this may just be one of the snappiest family coasters out there. This coaster is loaded with quick changes of direction. There’s no airtime on these, but they can keep even a seasoned enthusiast on their toes. This is particularly true during the wild backwards segment.

The highlight is undoubtedly the finale. I don’t want to spoil the show scene, but I will say it would make Universal proud. Gerstlauer needs to make more of these family coasters. They have super low height requirements and do a little bit of everything. 7 out of 10

Pegase Express Launch.jpg
This looks like your usual family coaster.

Pegase Express Turn.jpg
As does this.

Pegase Express Overview.jpg
But this looks like a legit coaster. And Pegase Express is quite good for all ages.

Goudurix. It’s the name that shall not be said among coaster enthusiasts. Rumor has it, just saying the name causes coaster enthusiast to crap worse than a patient during colonoscopy prep. I felt like I was walking into my own funeral as I boarded the train in the back row no less.

I also want to note that Goudurix’s Rapidus entrance is a royal pain to find. On all the other rides, it was located adjacent to the main entrance. For Goudurix, you need to loop around the kiddie plane ride and head down this nondescript, dirt path for the hotel. Maybe it’s Asterix saying you don’t want to ride this. :lol:

Goudurix Entrance.jpg
Oh boy, Goudurix time.

Goudurix Rapidus 2.jpg
FYI this is how you get to the Goudurix Rapidus Pass entrance.

The first drop was enjoyable. It delivered a nice pop of air. The airtime felt like the last meal of a patient on death row. Then came the butterfly. I closed my eyes in fear, but something was amiss. There was no headbanging. Instead I was blown away by a ridiculously forceful element.

Then came the batwing. Lightning couldn’t strike twice, could it? By Zeus it did! Yes there was a rough jolt exiting the element, but that was the only rough spot on the entire ride. By this point, I relaxed my guard and fully enjoyed the forceful vertical loop and snappy corkscrews, which were also fairly smooth.

I actually liked Goudurix. WTF? And my ride wasn’t a fluke either, I rode it multiple times! I came to the conclusion this cannot be the same Goudruix everyone else has ridden. I have no clue what they did- retracking, new trains, sold their soul to the devil- but whatever they did, it worked. 7 out of 10

Goudurix Overview.jpg
It looks like death, but it rides like a dream.

Goudurix Drop.jpg
I think I only hit my head once. I couldn't believe it.

B&M’s best and worst inverts are usually pretty consistent. Best- Nemesis, Montu, or Pyrenees. Worst- Silver Bullet, Patriot, or OzIris. The latter always surprised me because of the insane level of theming. It looked like a next level Montu. So I figured the ride itself must be really bland.

OzIris simply wasn’t good…it was exceptional.

It all began with the first drop. And what a first drop it was! It started with bonafide ejector air (on an invert!) and then transitioned to some wicked laterals. This drop felt wildly out-of-place on an invert and it immediately showed me that OzIris had balls.

The entry into the dive loop provided another surprise pop of air before dishing out the heavy Gs trademark of an old-school invert. That’s followed by a snappy overbank and a powerful vertical loop. I thought all the new B&Ms were supposed to be forceless? Even the Immelmann had some force and the final helix was reminiscent of Silver Bullet.

But what separated OzIris was the airtime. I already mentioned the first drop, but there were 2 other sizable drops and 2 bunny hills with air. The drop before the zero-G was even ejector air for good measure. If you prefer hangtime, you get that in the traditional zero-G roll and this overstretched corkscrew.

Call me crazy, but OzIris is my new favorite invert. Epic drop, forceful loops, leg-numbing helices, floaty zero-G rolls, airtime, and immersive theming. It really is the complete package. I’m not sure what Parc Asterix has been feeding OzIris, but it was running like a bat-out-of-hell. 10 out of 10

OzIris Loop.jpg
If you told me I'd like this more than Tonnerre de Zeus, I'd call you crazy.

OzIris Immelmann (Far).jpg
If you told me I'd like this more than Nemesis, I'd call you crazy.

OzIris Trench 2.jpg
Well I guess I better call you crazy because OzIris was awesome!

OzIris Overbank.jpg
I knew it'd be well-themed, but it packed a mighty punch too.

OzIris Zero-G 2.jpg
Ok I still can't figure out if this is a zero-G roll or a drawn out corkscrew.

SOS Numerobis was one of the rare attractions that was a walk-on. Needless to say I hopped aboard for the credit. It’s one of those small Zierer coasters with the comically long train. It gave not one, not two, but three laps and was heavily wooded. Otherwise it was nothing special. 3 out of 10

SOS Numerobis.jpg
Smile for the not on-ride photo.

Trace du Hourra is a bizarre bobsled coaster. Most bobsleds are themed to…you know…bobsledding. Instead, Trace du Hourra is themed to a caveman that learns to walk and excitedly runs down a hill screaming “hooray” :lol: I swear I’m not making that up; that’s seriously the theme.

It’s also shockingly tall. The lift can accommodate multiple trains at once. Now I really wanted to like this ride. It was long, beautifully landscaped, and had some nice helices. But it had an Achilles heel, the same Achilles heel as all Mack bobsleds- vibrations. 5 out of 10

Trace du Hourra Lift.jpg
Those dispatches. <3

Trace du Hourra Helix.jpg
It's so weird seeing a non-white bobsled.

One of the biggest benefits of TPR is knowing the can’t miss non-coasters at each park. For Asterix, one of those rides was the Defi de Cesar. I never thought there’d be a mad house with a more elaborate pre-show than Hex at Alton Towers, but Defi de Cesar matches it.

It was a neat twist to have the main ride themed to a ship on rough waters. I guess conventional themes are too mainstream for Asterix. The inverting effect was top-notch on this version. I believe the ride system is identical to SFNE’s, as you get some serious sliding throughout the ride. 8 out of 10

Defi de Cesar Pre-Show 2.jpg
Hey I know him!

I felt obligated to use my Rapidus Pass on all available rides, so against my better judgment I rode Grand Splatch. I figured it’d be your garden variety shoot-the-chute ride, but it had a far more expansive layout. I think the entire ride was 5-6 minutes in length.

But as the fellows with small feet will tell you, it’s more important what you do with the length. Most of the ride is spent slowly meandering through a themeless forest. It felt markedly out-of-place at a park with Asterix theming out the wazoo. There were drops to break up the monotony at least. The first one was puny, but the second one was a decent double-down. 6 out of 10

Grand Splatch.jpg
There was a splash, but it wasn't particularly soaking.

By comparison, Epidemais Croisiere was far more enjoyable. The ride traded drops for cute little scenes from the Asterix comics. 7 out of 10

Epidemais Croisiere.jpg
Note how the boy in front is sitting.

The park’s best water ride was the log flume, Menhir Express. Like Grand Splatch, it mostly themeless. Except on Menhir Express, the boats actually navigate the trough faster than a snail dragging a barbell.

Plus the drops are great too. I don’t know which drop I prefer. Both give surprise pops of air. The second is considerably larger; however, the first has an uphill segment much like Splash Mountain or Ripsaw Falls. 9 out of 10

Menhir Express.jpg
I love Hopkins flumes.

Oxygenarium may be the park’s most unique water ride. This is one of those spinning raft slides for the dry park. SFNE used to have one in Joker’s current spot. As a water ride, it fails spectacularly. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten wet from this type of attraction.

But as a spinning ride, it thrives. The descent spins faster than a tea cup. The one at SFNE only turned right, which allowed the spinning to be maintained the whole way down. Oxygenarium changes direction a few times, which provided a momentary reprieve from the spinning. Some may appreciate the reprieve, but I wanted to go balls to the wall the whole way down. 6 out of 10

Oxygenarium Entrance.jpg
It was nigh impossible to photograph the ride itself due to all the trees.

For food, I went with the Restaurant du Lac. It was a full-service sit-down restaurant with quite the atmosphere. I went with the hamburger and it was probably the best meal I had during my time in France. That sounds sad, but it was actually a fantastic hamburger.

Restaurant du Lac.jpg
The restaurant looks like the produce section of a supermarket.

Burger.jpg
No seriously, this was my best meal in France.

Cocktail.jpg
And it included this cocktail.

It’s also worth noting that the park has one of those innovative aerial bars. I strongly considered riding just to get some off-ride pictures of Zeus (it’s dang near impossible to photograph from ground level), but on-ride photography wasn’t allowed. Makes sense considering booze and coordination do not mix.

Aerolaf Menu.jpg
Do you want to get drunk...

Aerolaf Vehicle.jpg
and high? At the same time?

Oh and they had dolphins. Because one of the dolphins had just given birth, they turned the show into more of an informational session, but it was better than outright cancelling it like many parks would.

Dolphins.jpg
They're not as good as wiener dogs, but they're close.

I did miss out on Transdemonium though. The ride was quietly closed for the 2019 season. All of the ride’s signage is still intact, but the park scrubbed all mentions of it from the park maps and website.

Transdemonium Closed.jpg
I did not have good luck with ghost houses on this trip.

I was hell-bent on maximizing my chances of a world-class ride on Zeus, so I finished the day with an hour marathon. Most woodies heat up as the day progresses, but something didn’t seem quite right. If anything, Zeus was running slower and it was definitely screeching even more loudly.

After my second ride, the park called maintenance and had them grease the pre-lift. This caused the screeching to subside considerably and maybe it started getting faster. But it was too little too late. The next time I visit Asterix, I’m going to intentionally visit on a rainy day so the Zeus is all nice and lubricated.

Tonnerre de Zeus Greasing.jpg
If you look off to the left, you can see the maintenance worker who brought out the miracle grease.

Tonnerre de Zeus On-Ride.jpg
13 rides later!

I honestly don’t know if I preferred Disneyland Paris or Parc Asterix. Disney is Disney, but Parc Asterix shined in every single area. The park was gorgeous. The landscaping was top-notch like so many European parks. The park had great theming and operations were fast.

From a ride perspective, Asterix is only going to get better. OzIris is an incredible invert and I have no doubt Tonnerre de Zeus is still capable of being a world-class ride. But most importantly, there’s that shiny new Intamin on the horizon in 2021. God that ride looks incredible.
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Sun May 12, 2019 12:56 pm.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Sun May 12, 2019 5:14 am

What a fantastic trip report. I love this park; they have a few great coasters, some great support rides and the theming is so unique and really fun. Since I last visited the operations have far improved and are actually excellent now, and I totally agree about OzIris. My expectations were low, but it blew me away. Not sure if it has improved over time, but I loved the layout, and the first drop in the back seat is remarkable. I'm not a fan of the elevated helix, but the presentation and the ride in general is just brilliant.

Regarding Goudurix, it's always been the coaster enthusiasts love to hate. Since the retracking it is a lot better, but even before it wasn't THAT bad. There were a couple of really brutal moments, but apart from that it wasn't a constant pummeling like you'd find on many SLCs.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun May 12, 2019 7:22 am

Thanks! I agree the operations were excellent. Stacking was really uncommon and they usually had the train dispatching before the next hit the brakes.

I know CGA's Grizzly is another coaster enthusiasts love to hate. But by all accounts, that ride isn't rough, just uneventful. Ok so Goudurix was retracked then? I had a suspicion it wasn't the same ride everyone despised.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:28 am

Awesome report, I always kind of forget about Asterix when I think of major parks in Europe but it seems like a nice park with a pretty solid coaster collection. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up spending some time in France in the next couple of years so might have to add this park to my list.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Sun May 12, 2019 9:07 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Thanks! I agree the operations were excellent. Stacking was really uncommon and they usually had the train dispatching before the next hit the brakes.

I know CGA's Grizzly is another coaster enthusiasts love to hate. But by all accounts, that ride isn't rough, just uneventful. Ok so Goudurix was retracked then? I had a suspicion it wasn't the same ride everyone despised.

Maybe retracked might be the wrong word, but they did a LOT of work which involved putting scaffolding up on most of the inversions, cutting sections of track out, replacing crossties and the running rails etc. But honestly, it wasn't quite as bad as what people said.

Hilltopper, if you fly to Paris CDG, it's a super-simple journey from the airport - there's a shuttle bus, but also you can get an Uber and it's only about 20 minutes maybe.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun May 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Hilltopper39 wrote:Awesome report, I always kind of forget about Asterix when I think of major parks in Europe but it seems like a nice park with a pretty solid coaster collection. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up spending some time in France in the next couple of years so might have to add this park to my list.

Thanks! I'd argue OzIris is already a signature coaster and Zeus has the potential to be one, but that Intamin monster in 2021 looks like a candidate for one of the world's best coasters.

KarlaKoaster wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:Thanks! I agree the operations were excellent. Stacking was really uncommon and they usually had the train dispatching before the next hit the brakes.

Maybe retracked might be the wrong word, but they did a LOT of work which involved putting scaffolding up on most of the inversions, cutting sections of track out, replacing crossties and the running rails etc. But honestly, it wasn't quite as bad as what people said.

Hilltopper, if you fly to Paris CDG, it's a super-simple journey from the airport - there's a shuttle bus, but also you can get an Uber and it's only about 20 minutes maybe.

Whatever Asterix did made the coaster enjoyable for me. I never thought I'd ride it multiple times going into my visit.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Sun May 12, 2019 12:30 pm

I just rewatched a POV of OzIris keeping what you reported in mind and I can definitely now see where it's coming from. Thank you for clearing my perception I've gotten of the ride from other enthusiasts.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun May 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Maybe it has gotten faster, but it definitely wasn't as forceless as I expected. The airtime and Gs combined with the theming made it a standout.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!