TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

wonderful report, Canobie.

El Toro, sadly, still sits (near the top) of my bucket list coasters. (it's in a park i've not been to, yet)

but over the past years, I've been making some progress on that list (TPR 2018 USA trip most certainly helped). . .and I'll knock a couple of biggies off my list later this year.

so goal in 2020 are: Dollywood, Magic Mountain, and SFGA.

Thanks! Those 3 parks (along with being great on their own) have three of my favorite coasters in Lightning Rod, Twisted Colossus, and El Toro. Those rides alone are worth the trips.

Great El Toro trip report!

I've been obsessed with El Toro since I first rode it in 2009. It has sat solidly as my #1 wooden coaster because of the airtime on that first drop and the first few hills. I totally agree about your assessment of it. The middle section does feel less interesting compared with the intensity of the beginning and end, but it's at least a moment to catch your breath. However, when it's colder, the last half (and consequently the RT hill) are less intense.

Thanks!

I thought the Rolling Thunder hill had plenty of airtime and the twister section seemed as wild as ever. I just noticed the return hills into the brake run (which don't do much even on a good day) were really slow.

The goal is to hit the gong hard enough to reach a certain decibel threshold.

Sounds painful, but oddly satisfying.

As a player, sure. But just imagine the poor employee.

It's great to hear that El Toro is still running like a bat out of hell.... after seeing the heavy trims added to the rehabbed Colossus this year I was scared that Six Flags might get some $-saving ideas.

I have to give Six Flags credit where it's due, but they have been doing a very good and proactive job retracking El Toro over the years. On most visits early in the season, I can spot fresh wood. I saw a lot of it in the twister finale this year.

I have to fully agree with you on Toro. I’m glad I’m not alone. No RMC I’ve ridden has matched the absolute insanity of El Toro’s airtime. The only one that has come close was Storm Chaser.

Granted, I’ve only been on four total.

RMC airtime tends to be super strong pops as opposed to sustained airtime like Intamin hypers and pre-fabs. Both have their pluses so I'm glad I have both within driving distance of me.

Like you mentioned, Storm Chaser is one that does have sustained air. The camelbacks on Twisted Timbers do a great job of it as well. Same with those two big hills at the start of Steel Vengeance.

Nice little update about The Bull, also got caught up on some of your other recent dispatches.

As we discussed, we were there opening day as well (see my new avatar) and I got handful of rides on Toro in both the front and back and while all the rides in the park (including Toro) were cranky and having their opening day issues, The Bull was running in (almost) mid-season form. The park itself was looking good and we had great rides on everything all day. I'll have a small report at some point in like 2024. And like I told you via FB, you should have said hi when you spotted me!!! Next time.

Hersheypark

Ah Hershey, Pennsylvania. The sweetest place on earth unless you’re Nabisco. While I don’t like candy one bit (thank god it’s just a myth the town smells like chocolate), I love Hersheypark. It’s arguably the Intamin capital of the United States.

1336714066_MiltonHersheyFountain(Day).thumb.jpg.68eaa1109c85d58dfcdc6887c6a256b1.jpg

2020 will forever change the complexion of the park- a big B&M hyper and a new entrance. The latter was immediate ramifications on those visiting in 2019. Gone is that quaint entry plaza with all the shops. In are a series of food truck, souvenir tents, and a pop-up entrance. It felt like a carnival.

1901003470_2020Construction.thumb.jpg.ea9e21441035963961b7d6f56111747f.jpg

I can't wait for 2020.

1610453289_TemporaryShops.thumb.jpg.32ebbec07b79d58b1047255526e17edf.jpg

Meanwhile in 2019...

The new set-up does have one benefit, new vantage points of Skyrush. You now have a completely unobstructed view of Skyrush’s far turn. Unfortunately that cool path beneath Skyrush was blocked off. I’m not sure if that was just an opening day thing or permanent for the rest of the year.

1837979196_SkyrushCamelback(Far).thumb.jpg.2b13c30d1a6e663a065876c0ecc629c4.jpg

These views are new.

Speaking of Skyrush, that was my first stop. Where else would I go? It was only running one train, but that’s all Skyrush needed. It was never more than a 1-2 train wait all day. I think I got a total of 8 rides on this monster; all of them coming in the back two rows.

Skyrush is genuinely terrifying. I don’t think there’s a more intense coaster in the US. The whip on this ride is insane. I’ve tried and failed miserably to keep my hands up for the duration of the ride on past visits. I always end up holding on for dear life come those twists/Stengel dives.

It took a few rides though. The first drop is still one of the most confusing around. I have no clue how it manages to give two pops of airtime, but it does. You have an initial pop and while you’re still levitating above your seat, you are violently shot upwards even further.

You then have three of the most powerful airtime hills anywhere. Since my last rides on Skyrush, I’ve been on Steel Vengeance and Expedition GeForce. Those coasters have ridiculously strong airtime, but the strength pales in comparison to that of Skyrush. With the minimalistic restraints, I felt like a bird trying to fly away but I had a shackle on my thighs.

And then you have those aforementioned twists and Stengel dives. I can’t decide what’s crazier, the world’s most intense airtime hills or three of the world’s snappiest turns. These turns try to flip you into the creek like a pancake. This time I’m proud to say I went hands up the whole way.

Were my thighs sore by the end of the night? Yes. But was it worth it? Without a doubt! My legs felt like jelly. It felt like I had been a bit too harsh with a leg roller. I can see how Skyrush is too much for some. There are few coasters I prefer, but none have the aggression of Skyrush. 10 out of 10

414180932_SkyrushDrop.thumb.jpg.a72ccb740cf83915ed3fb1a0f7c4f841.jpg

I still can't see what on this drop causes it to have two distinct pops of air.

743951359_SkyrushTurn.thumb.jpg.de5f75fef02b0434fd3606339a762df4.jpg

Usually turns are fillers. Not on Skyrush. They try to kill you.

1163069956_SkyrushFinale.thumb.jpg.ea583f1a9c17cb4b7524305e1a445517.jpg

These kids probably hear all sorts of profanity from Skyrush riders.

Sooperdooperlooper was super-de-dooper. Unfortunately someone had an accident in line (wasn’t a protein spill either), but that did keep the front few rows clear for the few, the oblivious, and the stupid.

This is about as tame as a Schwarzkopf looper can get. Of course the loop still pulls strong Gs, but the rest of the ride is lacking in that department outside of a decent helix at the end. It does compensate with a lovely setting though and it’s glass smooth. 7 out of 10

859478099_SooperdooperlooperLoop.thumb.jpg.ddb03c2d2b4c3010362781950d11228c.jpg

It doesn't matter how old a Schwarzkopf is. It always runs like a dream.

Great Bear is an odd invert. The helix at the start is simply bizarre, but it pulls some really nice Gs. As do the vertical loop, Immelmann (rare for this element to do so), and zero-G roll. Then it feels like B&M hit the autocomplete button much like I do in Planet Coaster.

I understand why the finale is pretty tame. If you look at the coaster off-ride, it’s honestly impressive they could shoehorn the coaster in considering all the nearby rides and the restrictions about building supports in the creek. But it feels like you’re just going through the motions to return to the station outside of that final corkscrew. The whip on that thing is incredible.

If the Great Bear did anything else on that return run to the station, it would be great. Instead it’s just a Good Bear. It’s near the bottom of my invert list, but it’s still better than a majority of the floorless coasters out there. Plus there’s zero rattle whatsoever. 8 out of 10

212349748_GreatBearLoop(Night).thumb.jpg.bd0acf0fa8452f83a1c300c350b034f1.jpg

I couldn't quite see Ursa Major, but I do see a B&M.

1039315968_GreatBearCreek.thumb.jpg.5a47c0ea57f39148186eadc84b7cfc48.jpg

These supports look like something from Dr. Seuss.

Hersheypark was GCI’s original stomping ground with both Wildcat and Lightning Racer. I think most people universally prefer Lightning Racer, but for me, it’s close.

Wildcat is undeniably the wilder of the two. The airtime is stronger, particularly on the turnarounds. But it comes at a cost. It is considerably bumpier. Thankfully it still has the old Millennium Flyer padding so the bumpiness isn’t an issue. 7 out of 10

1092715083_WildcatAirtime.thumb.jpg.ab8f7fbf95f0039da7bc0d4e15982352.jpg

This coaster was awesome before the PTCs tore it apart.

Thunder was obliterating Lightning on this day. Usually the victor wins only by a small margin. These were decisive victories. It was like when Usain Bolt came onto the sprinting scene. It’s still a treat to have a dueling coaster with such a twisted layout, but I do wish it had a bit more air. 7 out of 10

416122312_LightningRacerOverview.thumb.jpg.57c51e93779cfc308627193030498e2b.jpg

Lightning just wasn't feeling it on this day.

The Intamins in Pioneer Junction were cranky SOBs on this day. Fahrenheit sat idle all day. Storm Runner wasn’t feeling it either. Fortunately the latter opened with 4 hours left in the day. Storm Runner only opened with one train and tried its hardest to sport the longest queue, but it couldn’t surpass Laff Trakk.

190901490_FahrenheitDrop.thumb.jpg.3dfcd4b6834b48a54ec700e008a69fc0.jpg

The temperature wasn't dropping on this day.

58655014_LaffTrakkExterior.thumb.jpg.d2477f028f193b25ac9eb7c64809d5f6.jpg

Laff Trakk's queue is no laughing manner.

I rode Storm Runner right around sunset. Ultimately I think I waited almost 45 minutes. I contemplated riding in the back row, but Hershey pulled a Hershey and blocked off the back row. Sadly that’s the norm for them. So instead I waited an extra 3-4 cycles for the front and remembered why I love this ride.

It’s among the slower of the Intamin accelerator coasters, but the launch is among the most forceful. I felt like I was blasted with an air cannon and my stomach dropped. The latter is the sign of a truly insane launch. This alone makes Storm Runner a winner, but it goes the extra mile unlike the other accelerators.

The top hat has some excellent airtime. Unlike the other accelerators, you fly over this top hat. The Immelmann is pretty forgettable, but the double inline twist is awesome. Not only does the entry have a surprise pop of air, but the two inversions have some killer hangtime. Storm Runner is short, but it feels long compared to a lot of other launch coasters and it’s a rush. 9 out of 10

Just a note for those with glasses; be very careful when the restraints unlock. The straps didn’t have enough clearance and tried to rip off my glasses. They would have been goners without an athletic strap.

912376215_StormRunnerLaunch.thumb.jpg.665ac58bf1c4e7362e417cab40b03106.jpg

Now get ready. Here we go.

459352678_StormRunnerCreek.thumb.jpg.4805c58d0e6a20914a39d46d73818bc2.jpg

Storm Runner is ridiculously photogenic.

On my way back towards the front of the park, I rode two smaller towers on Hershey Triple Tower. Honestly they should tell guests the tallest one is the one to start with. I’m not even kidding, that one is easily the tamest of the three.

The most aggressive of the three is perplexingly the Kisses Tower. The launch itself is slow, but I’m not sure what S&S did because the airtime at the top is downright violent. It’s not the happy floater they usually provide, it was shoulder busting pops of ejector. 8 out of 10

The Reese’s Tower has awesome airtime as well, but it’s different airtime. Where the Kisses Tower is violent, Reese’s Tower has copious amounts of sustained floater. I honestly don’t know which I prefer. I just know it isn’t the Hershey Tower. 8 out of 10

1796409018_HersheyTripleTowerComparison(Night).thumb.jpg.985eab7ddb522c9597bfb04d204cd453.jpg

Let's see how they measure up.

Before finishing the night with a Skyrush marathon, I had one other order of business. I needed to ride the Comet. Hershey’s two newer woodies get more attention, but Comet is my favorite of the three. It’s just a bummer the line is prohibitively long until the final hour or so of park operational.

I got two straight rides- one in front and one in the back. My front row ride was enjoyable. There were good pops of air on the first two turnarounds and good laterals on the last few turnarounds. Plus it was glass smooth, a testament to how well Hershey maintains this class.

But the back row is where you should ride the Comet. The first drop has decent airtime, but the second drop has incredible airtime. Oh and did I mention this ride has buzz bars? The middle part only has a few weak spots of air, but it does have strong laterals on any turn. And the Comet returns to dishing out airtime on the last 2-3 hills. 8 out of 10

1911053528_CometLift(Night).thumb.jpg.8789d50ce4a4a0a938eda04a5a419219.jpg

I'm a sucker for classics and chaser lights.

I’m pretty sure it was mostly enthusiasts riding Skyrush for the last hour of operations. I saw the following t-shirts/sweatshirts- El Toro, Steel Vengeance, Helix, Lost Gravity, Cedar Point, Kentucky Kingdom, and ACE. I probably missed some too. Needless to say, we were all taking turns in the back rows.

1770056841_SkyrushLift(Night).thumb.jpg.78ff4234f5cfb00f184d5eb70174176a.jpg

Dang that's a sexy lift.

I also made a quick detour over to Hershey’s Chocolate World. I know it’s technically not part of Hersheypark, but for all intents and purposes, it is. I decided to give the chocolate tour a whirl since I heard they updated it since my last ride. Unfortunately I wasn’t too impressed.

The tone still feels like one of those educational rides at Epcot. As expected, the ride shows you how the chocolate is made. They convey this through a series of screens and physical sets complete with projection mapping. It’s just too bad there aren’t any naughty kids like in Willy Wonka to liven things up. 5 out of 10

1845424208_HersheysChocolateWorld(Day).thumb.jpg.6e7957a6983d7fceb8dc7a162eb1eb02.jpg

I cannot remember the last time I went there since candy isn’t my thing.

910376375_HersheysChocolateTourSign.thumb.jpg.cc449d7f664b7de56acbc3dca4443708.jpg

But I did it for the dark ride.

766674310_HersheysChocolateTourLoading.thumb.jpg.c3628258798bdc141da98450093dc6a7.jpg

There were a ton of people in line, but it moved quickly.

561362255_HersheysChocolateTourMixing.thumb.jpg.ea2c5bf194553a17765c9899df9e0957.jpg

2103195988_HersheysChocolateTourCows.thumb.jpg.b7647d9dda13fe4aa3ea1134c4597ea5.jpg

It's everyone's favorite cows.

I cannot wait for Chocolatetown to open. For one, it’ll be nice that this park has a proper entrance once again. Hersheypark really is a beautiful park. That’s partially why that temporary entrance looks so out-of-place.

But I’m really looking forward to that B&M hyper. I think most enthusiasts will still prefer Skyrush to it, but if it rides anything like Shambhala, I may be marathoning it with everyone else at closing. Either way, it sure does look like Hershey is going to have an amazing top two next year.

I can wait for Cupfusion to open. Have they announced when it’s expected to open? The front of the building looks bare at the moment, but I know the biggest chances are occurring on the inside.

617329635_ReesesCupfusion.thumb.jpg.a336f20b7e54f22845a3c4135c88034c.jpg

Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge is no more.

I’ll also note that none of the water rides were operational during Springtime in the Park, including Coal Cracker even though temperatures were in the 60s.

Great report. I've been to Hershey a couple times (2011 and 2014 I believe... it all runs together) and that was before my hardcore enthusiast days so I couldn't really appreciate Hershey for what it is and therefore was pretty underwhelmed.... especially with Skyrush (yes I know that's a sin around here) That being said, I feel like next time I return to Hershey I'll like it a lot more and definitely feel like I'll adore Skyrush this time around.

^^ Thanks for the report! As always, I really enjoyed it.

^ If I may ask, how did you find SkyRush underwhelming? I'm not putting down your opinion, but of all the things I've heard people say about it, Underwhelming has never been one of them. It's usually about the insanity, fearing for your life or bitching about the restraints.

David

Great report. I've been to Hershey a couple times (2011 and 2014 I believe... it all runs together) and that was before my hardcore enthusiast days so I couldn't really appreciate Hershey for what it is and therefore was pretty underwhelmed.... especially with Skyrush (yes I know that's a sin around here) That being said, I feel like next time I return to Hershey I'll like it a lot more and definitely feel like I'll adore Skyrush this time around.

Thanks! Was it the restraints? Really that's the only gripe I've ever heard about that ride. I can understand why someone would find them uncomfortable, but the openness and intensity gar outweighs that for me.

^^ Thanks for the report! As always, I really enjoyed it.

Thanks!

Awesome update! I love Skyrush and really need to get back there this year.

Thanks! This is why I had no qualms leaving Great Adventure early. As awesome as El Toro is, I think Skyrush slightly edges it.

Man, that entrance looks really different now. Skyrush is absolutely amazing and I'm jealous every time someone gets to ride it. Hershey is one of the greatest parks out there, and you've highlighted all the reasons why. "Taste the love all over the world!"

Great report! I actually don't mind Great Bear's return to the station. I sort of like that weird fake-out before the corkscrew.

I agree. Basically the only thing I had heard about Great Bear befoe I went in '17 was that the second half was boring. Then I got back to the station wondering where the boring part was supposed to have been. Still don't know. I rode that thing like 10 times, it's great.

Thanks! Was it the restraints? Really that's the only gripe I've ever heard about that ride. I can understand why someone would find them uncomfortable, but the openness and intensity gar outweighs that for me.

The restraints were part of it.... But I don't know I was underwhelmed by it. At that point I was used to hyper coasters being like Diamondback and Nitro, large floater hills everywhere. So I guess when Skyrush didn't do that it confused the hell out of me and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I should've. I'm hoping to get there this year, and definitely next year so we'll see what I think this time around.

The restraints were part of it.... But I don't know I was underwhelmed by it. At that point I was used to hyper coasters being like Diamondback and Nitro, large floater hills everywhere. So I guess when Skyrush didn't do that it confused the hell out of me and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I should've. I'm hoping to get there this year, and definitely next year so we'll see what I think this time around.

I used to prefer the big B&M hypers over rides far crazier. After my first visit to SFGAdv, I actually liked Nitro over El Toro. But as I rode more coasters, I realized just how rare it is to have a ride this balls to the wall insane and now I appreciate that type of ride more.

Great report! I actually don't mind Great Bear's return to the station. I sort of like that weird fake-out before the corkscrew.

Thanks! I too like how it sort of fakes you out and the corkscrew is great. I just don't find the section before or after all that great unless you're in the very front. The first half is perfect though.

Man, that entrance looks really different now. Skyrush is absolutely amazing and I'm jealous every time someone gets to ride it. Hershey is one of the greatest parks out there, and you've highlighted all the reasons why. "Taste the love all over the world!"

Thanks! I consider myself lucky to have something as crazy as Skyrush within a (long) day's drive.

But I don't know I was underwhelmed by it. At that point I was used to hyper coasters being like Diamondback and Nitro, large floater hills everywhere. So I guess when Skyrush didn't do that it confused the hell out of me and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I should've.

I had a similar response to it, but I just chalked it up to personal preference. While I loved Diamondback and Nitro, I found Skyrush to be little more than an overly-aggressive endurance test — and that's just not what I look for in a coaster. I'm fine with ejector air but I much prefer floater, and the whipping turns of the second half felt like they didn't accomplish much beyond tossing you around as hard as possible. To me, the design lacks dynamics and has pacing issues; I found it didn't have much to offer beyond "extreme for extreme's sake." I get why others like it so much (it's about as intense as a coaster can get), and I rode it a ridiculous amount of times (there was no line when I visited), but I found several of the park's other coasters to be much more engaging — including the meandering old woodie that Skyrush towers over.

After my first visit to SFGAdv, I actually liked Nitro over El Toro.

This was my experience as well — and I didn't expect that at all. I liked El Toro just fine and kind of expected Nitro to be dull, but I ended up loving Nitro way more than El Toro in the end.

Awesome reports! (commenting on the last three TRs...)

Anakeesta:

Rail Runner looks like a lot fun (and scary!). I don't think I've ever ridden a true mountain coasters, however I can recall riding an alpine slide when I was 7 at Attitash Mountain Resort in NH (maybe you've heard of that?) It was a fun and real uniqe experience. Its quite thrilling and scary to be in control of your own brakes!

SFGAdv:

Yup. El Toro never disappointments. It has a way of standing even at an already-great park otherwise. Best of the best. I am hopeful though that they can make a strong addition to their coaster lineup sometime in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I love the flats they've added in recent years and even the 'cookie-cutters' in Dark Knight and Joker have value in their own right, but I think am not the only one who would like to see a new signature coaster added for a change.

Six Flags Great Adventure

It’s somewhat sad that I visited a park with 13 different roller coasters, including the world’s tallest and four five B&Ms

Fixed it for ya. (unless that is, one of them wasn't operating that day?)

I often forget this park has five B&Ms. But really even that fact alone is crazy (even though one of them is unfortunately, a stand-up) )

But to be fair, I personally don't hate GL. Its worth at least riding once in a day. Or at least, I liked it A LOT better than the only other standup I've ridden (Mantis - I DESPISED Mantis).

Hershey:

Love this park. Have been there twice so far. Once in 2011, and then in 2016... With Skyrush opening in 2012, I ended up waiting four years to finally ride it. But it certainly did not disappoint! Tied with Maverick for my #1 steel.

The restraints don't bother me too much, but I understand why others would have serious problems with them.

Edited by Intamin_coyote

Thanks!

Attitash has both the alpine slide you described and a mountain coaster. They actually have the country's best mountain coaster in my opinion. It's long, has some surprise drops, and holds its speed well. I far prefer it over the alpine slide since I'm terrified I'm going to flip over the edge like my father did when he was younger.

Whoops, yeah I must have missed one of the B&Ms. I actually like Green Lantern now that I discovered how to ride B&M stand-ups (get that OSTR below ear-level). I just got my fix with that one at HITP.