Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Six Flags New England- On this visit, I only rode Goliath
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:13 am

:lol:

I've never had an issue with the food at Macho Nacho. I've just had an employee who couldn't fold a burrito and asked if I knew how.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:11 am

Six Flags Darien Lake

My girlfriend hates Six Flags. And I think that’s partially my fault. I always seem to take her to the worst of the worst- Great Escape (oddly that one is her favorite), Discovery Kingdom, etc.

But I could sell her on Darien Lake. Tim Horton’s alone was probably enough, but she lit up when I described the greatness of Moose on the Loose.

It took about 10 minutes to enter the park. For most parks, that’s due to a security line, but oddly Darien Lake didn’t have metal detectors. Rather we were stuck behind a single family who kept retaking their season pass photos. I hate to break it to them, but no one is ever going to look at that photo.

Entrance.JPG
I'm so thankful for the words "Six Flags" because I can now use my membership here.

We only had 1.5 hours, so we had to prioritize. Naturally we started with Moose on the Loose. This didn’t exist in my last visit to the park. The ride is a best described as an adorable WTF with effects so cheap and simple that it becomes a masterpiece.

The ride was pulling the longest wait in the park. Since it takes a while to properly mount a moose, it took us a half hour with only ~ 30 people ahead of us in line. But every minute was worth it to finally experience this legendary attraction.

I felt one with the moose as he rocked back and forth. It’s like that feeling you get on Flight of Passage, but next level. Now unfortunately, my moose had laryngitis so I didn’t get the full Moose on the Loose experience.

Emily got the full experience and loved every second of it. I contemplated getting back in line, but figured I’d lose my coaster enthusiast card if I missed out on the park’s coasters in favor of a little moose ride. :lol: At least I have something to look forward to next visit.

Moose on the Loose Emily 2.JPG
Moose moose moose on the loose.

Up next was Tantrum, or the EuroFighter themed to the Darien Lake Discussion Thread. We ended up waiting ~ 20 minutes and it was well worth it. I rode Iron Shark last year and enjoyed it. This one was identical minus the waterfront setting.

The first drop had some killer airtime and the Gs on the Immelmann had me seeing grey. The rest of the ride includes a sneaky s-hill with air and lats, a forceful inclined loop, and a pop of air into the brake run. It’s short, but the lap bar only trains are oh so sweet. 7 out of 10

Tantrum Drop.JPG
The lap bar only Eurofighters are a godsend.

Tantrum Immelmann.JPG
So much twisted track.

Tantrum Inclined Loop.JPG
And Darien Lake fans are you ready for this...it ran two trains!

We hoped to hit Viper, but bailed when we saw the wait. In typical Darien Lake fashion, they were only running one train and each row was at least 6-7 groups deep. We couldn’t risk missing Ride of Steel. We told ourselves we wouldn’t get distracted and then we saw what we thought was a mirage.

Fascination.

I have no clue how this is still at a major corporate park and why it still only costs 25 cents a game, but we weren’t going to question this gift from Jim Reid Anderson. We played two games, losing both of course.

Fascination.JPG
I was not expecting to see one of these here.

We made one more pit stop at member services so I could grab my skip-the-line passes for Ride of Steel. The process was seamless and I was in for a treat. Usually each it’s one pass per person, but at Darien Lake, each pass lets you bring up to four guests.

Ride of Steel didn’t have a designated line for the Flash Pass Go Fast Pass, so we were instructed to board via the exit. We figured we’d ask for the front row, but we were told there was no choice seating and were shuttled to the center. Eh, it was worth a shot.

Thankfully, Ride of Steel is awesome in any row. The first drop has some great airtime and the first giant camelback has some delicious floater air. Then comes a helix, but not before a quick pop of air I always forget about.

After that comes the ride’s signature moment, the third hill. This hill is what Intamin does best, sustained ejector air. There’s another helix and then Ride of Steel kicks it into overdrive for the finale. There are three hills back to back with very strong ejector air.

I know people dislike the helices and straight track on Ride of Steel. And to be frank, I’m not the biggest fan of them either. But everything else is fantastic. And as icing on the cake, Ride of Steel still has the original T-bar restraints. Oh how I wish SFNE still had those. 8.5 out of 10

Ride of Steel Station.JPG
Maybe someday they'll get the S back. But not in 2019.

Ride of Steel Bunny Hill.JPG
Airtime into the brake run. I love it.

We contemplated one last ride on Ride of Steel in the standby queue, but I had a much stupider idea. I remembered hating Predator; however, I’m pretty sure I rode it in a wheel seat like a moron. I sort of wanted to give it another ride to see if it’s as bad as everyone says.

We were lucky enough to score the last ride of the night in the front row. I told Emily to brace for impact, but something odd happened. Predator didn’t kill us. In fact, we both really liked it.

Almost every hill offered some type of airtime. Most hills offered the floater variety, but the turnarounds all offered pops of ejector. And it was reasonably smooth too. Now the couple behind me told the operators the ride broke their backs and needed to be condemned, so I’m just going to stick with the front row.

Maybe this will be RMCed someday. It’s entirely possible with Six Flags now at the helm. But as it stands, Predator is quite good in the front row. I cannot emphasize that last part enough. 8 out of 10

Predator Hill.JPG
Something's wrong, I really enjoyed Predator.

Due to time constraints, I had to cut out the park's two newest tower rides. I never even made it back to Sky Screamer and Blast Off was still in pieces as of Memorial Day.

Sky Screamer.JPG
Sky Screamer sure looked great for the park's skyline.

Blast Off Dismantled.JPG
Guess no one will be having a blast on this today.

While we had an abridged visit, I’m excited to see what Six Flags does with Darien Lake. I’m well aware that’ll probably consist of a flat ride every year, but that’s perfectly fine for this park. Their current coaster lineup is pretty well-rounded and they have a clear star, Moose on the Loose.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:24 am

The Mean Streak trick totally works on Predator. The front seat is where it's at.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Married a Canadian » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am

Enjoyed your Niagara report.

The funicular down to the boat is new for this season. Was it busy? Do you have to get tickets for Hornblower before going down or can you now get them at the bottom?
Top Rides:
1 X2 2 Tatsu 3 Twisted Timbers 4 Apollo's Chariot 5 Skyrush 6 Maverick 7 Iron Rattler 8 Leviathan (front row) 9 Phantom's Revenge 10 Millennium Force 11 Manta 12 Saw The ride 13 Mako

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 am

Great reports! I think I read somewhere along the line that Darien Lake actually asked Intamin to build them a brand-new, original-spec train for Ride of Steel, which is what it looks like they did. Looking at the photos, it even looks like the T-bar is the original style and not one of the evolved versions that Dragster/Xcelerator use. I also really wish SFNE could have these for Superman instead of the horribly thigh-crushing restraints, but who knows if we'll ever see that.

I haven't been to this park in 10+ years but it looks like it's been taken care of well!

Postby bert425 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:43 am

Canobie Coaster wrote::lol:

I've never had an issue with the food at Macho Nacho. I've just had an employee who couldn't fold a burrito and asked if I knew how.

HA. . we just had similar at SF STl -- the end product (which I wish i had taken a picture of) looked like a giant rock. I ended up having to eat it with a fork. . . more of a pot pie than a burrito.

but the food was consistent with other Macho Nacho I've eaten at :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:56 am

Looks like y'all had a great time at Niagara Falls!

when we went, we did the Maid of the Mist, even tho I don't think Hornblower had the funicular option at that time last year.
But NO WAY would my spouse have gotten on that. The Elevator down from the US observation structure was just fine for him. .LOL

have you done the Cave of the Winds before? if not, it's well worth the trip the US side, just to walk on the platforms that go right next to/under Bridal Veil.

and agreed, we LOVED that little tourist trap/amusement center area, and our Courtyard Marriott had a fantastic view of that ferris wheel (and the fire that comes out of the volcano at the miniature golf).

that's great you got to meet up with Bill (and Brit). there are a number of folks on here that i would still love to meet in person, and they (as well as you, Michael - and Andrew (Ybitterium) & Boldicus - all on the short list I'd love to meet), and who knows, maybe someday we'll all be near a park together and get to say hi.

as to Darien Lake? I totally wanna go just for Moose on the Loose.
so that's pencilled in for a trip at some point, since our Season Passes will work there now!

great reports!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:27 pm

coasterbill wrote:The Mean Streak trick totally works on Predator. The front seat is where it's at.

It's one thing to get a tolerable ride on a notoriously rough coaster like Mean Streak. But my ride on Predator was genuinely great.

Married a Canadian wrote:Enjoyed your Niagara report.

The funicular down to the boat is new for this season. Was it busy? Do you have to get tickets for Hornblower before going down or can you now get them at the bottom?

Thanks! We walked right up to the kiosk on street level, purchased our tickets, and were on the funicular in less than 5 minutes. I think it's possible to ride the funicular without doing the Hornblower.

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Great reports! I think I read somewhere along the line that Darien Lake actually asked Intamin to build them a brand-new, original-spec train for Ride of Steel, which is what it looks like they did. Looking at the photos, it even looks like the T-bar is the original style and not one of the evolved versions that Dragster/Xcelerator use. I also really wish SFNE could have these for Superman instead of the horribly thigh-crushing restraints, but who knows if we'll ever see that.

I haven't been to this park in 10+ years but it looks like it's been taken care of well!

Thanks! I love the original T-bar restraints. They're so minimalistic and free. Even if SFNE got a U bar like El Toro, I just want the lap bar itself to be thinner like most enthusiasts.

bert425 wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote::lol:

HA. . we just had similar at SF STl -- the end product (which I wish i had taken a picture of) looked like a giant rock. I ended up having to eat it with a fork. . . more of a pot pie than a burrito.

but the food was consistent with other Macho Nacho I've eaten at :)

:lol:

bert425 wrote:Looks like y'all had a great time at Niagara Falls!

when we went, we did the Maid of the Mist, even tho I don't think Hornblower had the funicular option at that time last year.
But NO WAY would my spouse have gotten on that. The Elevator down from the US observation structure was just fine for him. .LOL

have you done the Cave of the Winds before? if not, it's well worth the trip the US side, just to walk on the platforms that go right next to/under Bridal Veil.

and agreed, we LOVED that little tourist trap/amusement center area, and our Courtyard Marriott had a fantastic view of that ferris wheel (and the fire that comes out of the volcano at the miniature golf).

that's great you got to meet up with Bill (and Brit). there are a number of folks on here that i would still love to meet in person, and they (as well as you, Michael - and Andrew (Ybitterium) & Boldicus - all on the short list I'd love to meet), and who knows, maybe someday we'll all be near a park together and get to say hi.

as to Darien Lake? I totally wanna go just for Moose on the Loose.
so that's pencilled in for a trip at some point, since our Season Passes will work there now!

great reports!

Thanks! I've only explored the Canadian side. The only bits of the US side I've seen are the parts you can see from Canada and the street you get dumped on after crossing the Rainbow Bridge.

The operator told us the funicular had only been in operation for two weeks. I'm not sure how long it took to build it.

Moose on the Loose really was quirky and an experience. I just wish my moose could talk. I guess it's incentive to return.

I'll definitely let you know the next time I'm at Fiesta Texas!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:33 pm

I had a chance to visit Darien Lake for the first time last summer and while Ride of Steel was down the entire day of my visit Predator was a huge surprise. I really liked the ride and thought it was running great, front back middle whatever, glad to hear it's still performing. I was pretty impressed with the park as a whole honestly and would love to get back sometime to try Ride of Steel.

Great report as always, always fun to follow your adventures.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Hilltopper39 wrote:I had a chance to visit Darien Lake for the first time last summer and while Ride of Steel was down the entire day of my visit Predator was a huge surprise. I really liked the ride and thought it was running great, front back middle whatever, glad to hear it's still performing. I was pretty impressed with the park as a whole honestly and would love to get back sometime to try Ride of Steel.

Great report as always, always fun to follow your adventures.

Thanks! Maybe I'll try it further back next time as well, but I'm definitely going to avoid a wheel seat.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!