Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Christmas at Dollywood & finally riding Lightning Rod!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 am

Fun Spot Orlando

Fun Spot is one of the most universally liked parks out there. Honestly it’s pretty surprising. If a regional park with this park’s lineup tried charging $46 for a wristband, they’d be burned at the stake. But for Fun Spot everyone just sips the Kood-Aid and turns a blind eye. Would I sip the Kool-Aid? Sort of.

Having free parking was certainly refreshing after forking over $20 for a seemingly endless ride on the moving walkways of Universal. One of the many reasons Fun Spot is popular is because there are typically no lines. I wasn’t so lucky during my visit. It was a really busy evening!

It turns out the park doesn’t have a combo ticket for the Kissimmee and Orlando location anymore, so I decided to buy a season pass. It’s pretty crazy that I bought a season pass for a park over 1000 miles away, but that’s exactly what I did for Fun Spot. It paid for itself after two wristbands and it also included a heavily discounted rate for the sky coasters.

I planned to hit both Fun Spots on the same night, so I only budgeted a little over an hour at the Orlando location. I lost 20 minutes of that to the ticket line. So after that, I started with White Lightning. The line stretched onto the midway, but it only took 15 minutes thanks to lightning fast dispatches.

I’ve heard some very good things about White Lightning and it delivered. My first ride was in the very back. Despite standing just south of 70 feet tall, this coaster maintains its speed better than some hyper coasters. The ride also has several subtle changes of direction despite essentially having an out-and-back layout.

The first drop is a nice mix of air and laterals. The outward leg wasn’t too heavy on the air, but the return leg sure was. It was a relentless barrage of one tiny hill after another. It’s also a really smooth ride unlike some of the older GCIs that I’ve been on.

My one issue with the Millennium Flyers is that they’re very proficient at stapling. White Lightning was no different, but I still really enjoyed this coaster. I would have loved a second ride, but I really wanted to be out of there in a half hour and I had other credits to get. 8.5 out of 10

IMG_20171118_205656.jpg
I loved the lighting package on White Lightning. Actually the whole park in general looked really alive at night.

Freedom Flyer’s line was spilling out onto the midway as well. The back 3 rows were reserved for VR, so I of course went towards the main queue. I ended up waiting about 20 minutes. But right before I boarded, the ride went down. Maintenance estimated that it would take about a half hour to get the ride up and running.

That severely cut into my time at Kissimmee’s Fun Spot if I stayed. So I had a few options.

1) Wait a half hour and only have 45 minutes at Fun Spot Kissimmee.
2) Stay the rest of the night at Orlando and hit Fun Spot Kissimmee tomorrow.
3) Head to Fun Spot Kissimmee and return to Fun Spot Orlando tomorrow.
4) Skip Freedom Flyer altogether.

IMG_20171118_205939.jpg
I rode coasters 4X taller and technologically advanced dark rides, but this tiny Vekoma was the lone ride on my trip with technical issues. Go figure.

I wanted to ensure I had enough time at Fun Spot Kissimmee and wanted to ride the Kvasten clone, so I eliminated 1 and 4. The impact of options 2 and 3 is that they’d cut into my time at Legoland the next day. I ultimately decided to head out for Fun Spot Kissimmee so I could experience that sky coaster and Mine Blower at night.

But not before I whored out on the kiddie coaster. This ride was a walk-on and every bit as shameful as it sounds. It wasn’t more than 7 or 8 feet tall. 2 out of 10

So flash forward to the next day. I made it to the park just after opening and budgeted an hour. Getting the season pass paid off as a return visit would have been pretty costly otherwise. The park was considerably less busy than the night before, which was to be expected.

My goal was simple, get some extra rides on White Lightning, ride Freedom Flyer, ride the Paratrooper of death, and try their Sky Coaster. I wasn’t messing around so I started with Freedom Flyer. I really liked the coaster’s placement over the midway, but it wasn’t quite as good as Kvasten. It was missing the tunnel and the landscaping around the helixes. Still it was a smooth, fun coaster. 6 out of 10

IMG_20171119_121958.jpg
Freedom Flyer lives!

White Lightning’s station was empty so I had my choice of seats. After my back row ride the night before, I decided to try the front. The air was as good up front, but I preferred the back since the changes of direction were wilder. So of course I grabbed a second ride in the back afterwards. I’d love to have a small FEC like this near me. But instead I just have freaking Jay Gee’s mini golf and go karts.

IMG_20171119_120103.jpg
On the bright side, Freedom Flyer let me get a few extra rides on White Lightning.

IMG_20171119_121910.jpg
It tours the park like Knott's Jaguar. Except White Lightning actually does stuff.

IMG_20171119_121648.jpg
They aren't as good as Phantasialand's bathroom signs, but these are pretty good.

With my season pass, I was able to get a ride on the world’s largest sky coaster for $10. Note how I say world’s largest. It’s shorter than Kissimmee’s at 250 feet, but the frame is technically larger. You’ve got to love technicalities. I love sky coasters and my only reservation with them is forking over $30-40 to ride. $10 is a bargain that I’m happy to spend.

The views on this one were fantastic and I love how it’s positioned partially above a little pond and above the midway. My heart began to race when I got the 3, 2, 1, fly. There’s still something genuinely terrifying about being in such a minimalistic restraint that high above the ground. The initial plunge was exhilarating. It’s a true freefall and it’s a pretty freaky sensation when the cable finally catches you and starts swinging you forwards. 10 out of 10

IMG_20171119_121604.jpg
At just $10, I couldn't turn the Skycoaster down.

The last ride I wanted to hit was the Paratrooper. While this may look like any ordinary paratrooper, this one is special for a few reasons. One, it only loads 1-2 gondolas at a time as it is always raised. Second, it runs crazy fast. Third, it even goes backwards. Yes it runs backwards. That’s what really sold me.

Unfortunately there was no operator to be found. I hung out by the ride for 15 minutes until an operator arrived. The oddest part about his arrival was that he didn’t enter the ride using the gate. No, that’d be too main stream. He hopped the fence. I have no clue why he did that, but I was just happy someone finally showed up.

The ride itself delivered. I thought Knoebels and Quassy had good cycles on their paratroopers, but Fun Spot put both of them to shame. The swinging is much wilder on this one, particularly when you’re going in reverse. It’s a really odd sensation having that happen on a paratrooper. 9 out of 10

IMG_20171119_123416.jpg
15 minutes later someone finally showed up. But it was worth it for a backwards paratrooper.

Overall I really like the mix of rides at Fun Spot. It’s the perfect park to visit for a few hours. I did have some operational hiccups in Freedom Flyer breaking down and the difficulty finding a ride operator the next day, but it’s still mostly good. But I think the sister park over in Kissimmee is superior, something I’ll touch on in the next installment.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland & World Waterpark

Postby coasterbill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 am

Great report! I'm glad you managed to ride that batsh*t Paratrooper. It's flat out ridiculous. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:02 am

I considered leaving after waiting 10 minutes of there being no operator. I asked the guy at the Tilt-a-Whirl and he reassured me someone would show up. But I am glad I waited since it was such an odd and disorienting experience going backwards on a ride like that.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:40 am

Awesome update. I'm a little concerned about the Paratrooper as the last one I rode was at Kennywood a couple years ago and it made me a slight bit nauseous, and the cycle ended just in time. I really want to do Funspots since you guys rave about it, and the missus typically loves them. I guess I have to see how I'll feel, or maybe save it for last.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:41 am

Save it for last. The ride cycle is non-ending and it goes backwards. :lol:

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Dombot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:58 am

coasterbill wrote:Save it for last. The ride cycle is non-ending and it goes backwards. :lol:

A thousand times this. The ride looks oh so innocent on the outside, but it will try to kill you. Mark my words. :lmao:

Nice report, Canobie. A bit surprised that you prefer the Kissimmee location to the Orlando one, even with Mine Blower being at the former. Curious to hear your take in the next post.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:37 am

boldikus wrote:Awesome update. I'm a little concerned about the Paratrooper as the last one I rode was at Kennywood a couple years ago and it made me a slight bit nauseous, and the cycle ended just in time. I really want to do Funspots since you guys rave about it, and the missus typically loves them. I guess I have to see how I'll feel, or maybe save it for last.

Like coasterbill said, save it as your last ride. It's so well run and unique that it needs to be ridden. But I also understand self preservation since its cycle is twice as long as others. The other thing to note is that it only loads 1-2 gondolas at a time. So if it has a line, you could be on the ride for quite some time waiting to get off.

Dombot wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Save it for last. The ride cycle is non-ending and it goes backwards. :lol:

A thousand times this. The ride looks oh so innocent on the outside, but it will try to kill you. Mark my words. :lmao:

Nice report, Canobie. A bit surprised that you prefer the Kissimmee location to the Orlando one, even with Mine Blower being at the former. Curious to hear your take in the next post.

I'll have a report in the coming days, but I preferred the Kissimmee location for a few reasons. Orlando has a better flat ride collection, but the coaster collection at Kissimmee is superior. I also thought the Kissimmee one was better run. There weren't any points where I had to wait for an operator to come over and all the employees I interacted with were extremely friendly. The ones at Orlando were efficient, but I wouldn't call them friendly.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby x2isawesome » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Your the second person on here to say how awesome the paratrooper is at funspot. Think I need to give it a try when I'm out there next week.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:It turns out the park doesn’t have a combo ticket for the Kissimmee and Orlando location anymore

Son of a motherless goat. At least this gives me all the more incentive to purchase the season pass when the timeshare I'm staying at in March is next door to the Orlando location.

I’ve heard some very good things about White Lightning and it delivered. My first ride was in the very back. Despite standing just south of 70 feet tall, this coaster maintains its speed better than some hyper coasters. The ride also has several subtle changes of direction despite essentially having an out-and-back layout.

The first drop is a nice mix of air and laterals. The outward leg wasn’t too heavy on the air, but the return leg sure was. It was a relentless barrage of one tiny hill after another. It’s also a really smooth ride unlike some of the older GCIs that I’ve been on.

White Lightning looks so unassuming. And then you ride it. It's better than it has any right to be. It was also my 100th credit, so I gotta love it. Especially my triple zen ride in the back.

The last ride I wanted to hit was the Paratrooper. While this may look like any ordinary paratrooper, this one is special for a few reasons. One, it only loads 1-2 gondolas at a time as it is always raised. Second, it runs crazy fast. Third, it even goes backwards. Yes it runs backwards. That’s what really sold me.

Riding the Kissimmee Paratrooper earlier in the day did not prepare me for this one. Hell, I didn't even know it went backwards until it started going in reverse.

Unfortunately there was no operator to be found. I hung out by the ride for 15 minutes until an operator arrived. The oddest part about his arrival was that he didn’t enter the ride using the gate. No, that’d be too main stream. He hopped the fence. I have no clue why he did that, but I was just happy someone finally showed up.

At least you got to wait off the ride for an operator. After the cycle on their Enterprise, the op unlocked every cabin but mine and my companion's before leaving to operate another ride. Of course we were on the far side of the attraction and had to flag down another op to let us off.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:45 pm

^ I kind of wish I didn't know about the Paratrooper so I could have been surprised by it, but then again there's a high chance I would have skipped it. That sucks about getting stuck on the Enterprise. That's one of my nightmares- getting stuck on a ride and having it unbeknownst to the operator.

I was shocked as well finding out there wasn't a combo ticket but in the end, the season pass worked out for the sky coaster discounts and second day that I visited.

x2isawesome wrote:Your the second person on here to say how awesome the paratrooper is at funspot. Think I need to give it a try when I'm out there next week.

I've only heard good things about Orlando's paratrooper. It's sort of an obscure ride, so when an attraction like that gets praise, you have to ride it to see what all the hubbub is about.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!