Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom- Joker, Medusa, and Animals
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby bert425 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:05 am

really like the Pacific Park sign too. . . all your night time photos always look great.

I agree with your comment upthread about Disney too. . as you may have noticed, i too take *hundreds* of pics while at Disney. (and it's not like you're not enjoying everything too.. . you don't even realize you're doing it as it's so magical).

Mrs Knott's chicken with a knife? would have razzed you as a heathen if you did! Fried chicken is meant to be eaten with your fingers !

did you find the flyer folks more aggressive on Hollywood Blvd than on the Vegas strip? because I've always found the Vegas strip folks way more aggressive (and way more pathetic in many cases, such as the state of the "character outfits"). . but maybe it's just cause i have no interest in a "date with a showgirl". . so it just feels like they are so much more pushy to me.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:06 am

bert425 wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:^ It's a 9.5 out of 10. I can't quite give it a perfect rating since it's a bit too bouncy and Eejanaika exists.

I would go back to Japan (and brave Fuji-Q) *just* for Eejanaika!

I loved it that much.

but luckily, I got to ride it a bunch, so got it out of my system for a few years :P

I have to, at some point in the next year or so, book a weekend trip to California, to make it to SFMM. I've never been, and I have a freaking season pass!

And you get 90% of the same ride at Magic Mountain with X2. One word of caution going to Six Flags Magic Mountain on the weekend is that X2, West Coast Racers, and YOLOcoaster are one time only on the Flash Pass. For that reason, I try to visit on weekdays when I know the park will be dead so I can lap these coasters more easily.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Belmont Park & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:11 am

bert425 wrote:really like the Pacific Park sign too. . . all your night time photos always look great.

I agree with your comment upthread about Disney too. . as you may have noticed, i too take *hundreds* of pics while at Disney. (and it's not like you're not enjoying everything too.. . you don't even realize you're doing it as it's so magical).

Mrs Knott's chicken with a knife? would have razzed you as a heathen if you did! Fried chicken is meant to be eaten with your fingers !

did you find the flyer folks more aggressive on Hollywood Blvd than on the Vegas strip? because I've always found the Vegas strip folks way more aggressive (and way more pathetic in many cases, such as the state of the "character outfits"). . but maybe it's just cause i have no interest in a "date with a showgirl". . so it just feels like they are so much more pushy to me.

Thanks! The night shots are one of the perks of actually carrying a real digital camera instead of relying solely on my smart phone.

When I went to Knott's more recently, I got the chicken to go and ate it with my hands on the way to Disneyland. So I redeemed myself (that knife was provided, but not used).

KBF.jpg

The days I was in Las Vegas were on the chillier side, so I don't recall seeing too many people on the sidewalks. I saw all sorts of mobile trucks with advertisements though.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:18 am

Six Flags Great Adventure- Holiday in the Park

Twas three nights before Christmas, when most other parks
Not a coaster was stirring, not even a mouse.
At Six Flags the coasters were open with care,
In hopes that families soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of coasters danced in enthusiasts’ heads.
And my friend in his jacket, and I in my cap,
Had just driven down to Jersey for HITP.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my car to see what was the matter.
Twas Bugs Bunny, some B&Ms, and the Flash,
Six Flags opened the gate in hopes for some cash.

…and that’s about the extent of my creative ability. I’m an engineer, not a poet. :lol:

IMG_2662.jpg
It's a magical land where minimum operating temperatures don't exist.

Originally my buddy and I were planning on visiting Six Flags New England. Now I love that SFNE is open for HITP, but it’s such a tease seeing both Superman and Wicked Cyclone sitting idle. I jokingly said we should drive the extra 3 hours to Jersey and he was in full support.

And it ended up being a very wise decision. Here’s a screenshot of Six Flags New England’s coasters on the day we went to Great Adventure.

SFNE.JPG
I'm convinced SFNE's SLC could withstand a nuclear bomb. That thing never breaks.

Meanwhile at Six Flags Great Adventure, I didn’t see a single ride go down all day. That’s a borderline Christmas miracle for HITP. Granted, the temperature was a “balmy” 35-45 degrees. I guess the rides are conditioned by now for sub-freezing temperatures. :lol:

Those “warm” temperatures led to this being the busiest HITP visit I’ve ever had. This was no Fright Fest crowd, but Nitro and Batman actually needed their second trains to prevent a queue from building up. And now I know the Six Flags app isn’t the most reliable for wait times, but Justice League was posting a 100 minute wait in the afternoon!

For that reason, we’re glad we hit Justice League first when it was still a walk-on. This ride is something I never thought would exist at a Six Flags park and it’s a nice change of pace from the coasters. 8.5 out of 10

Justice League Cyborg.JPG
Boo-yah! The animatronic is still working flawlessly.

Nearby Justice League are two flats with some of the most visually stunning light packages out there- Wonder Woman and Cyborg.

This was actually my first time riding Wonder Woman. And I thought the same thing after riding CraZanity at Six Flags Magic Mountain, but I think the cycles on the smaller ones are a bit better.

Wonder Woman is still a ton of fun and the airtime on the max swings is fantastic, but most of the ride is spent building up to those 3-4 max swings. Meanwhile the slightly smaller Harley Quinn (which feels just as tall) has twice as many max swings. 8 out of 10

Wonder Woman Day.JPG

Wonder Woman Night.jpg
Wonder Woman is really turned on at night.

This may be another hot take, but I actually prefer Cyborg to Wonder Woman.

…get your head out of the gutter. I’m talking about the rides.

…the amusement rides.

I know Cyborg gets a lot of flak for doing nothing, but I got non-stop inverting on both my rides. It’s not forceful, but the hangtime and near-misses are incredible. Both times, my buddy and I were the only two on the ride. So maybe less weight is how to avoid the rocking purgatory? 8 out of 10

Cyborg.jpg
Imagine what one of these things could do on the German fair circuit.

Great Adventure has two indoor coasters in Dark Knight and Skull Mountain. While we rode both once, we were more interested in contracting frostbite on the big B&Ms.

Maybe “big B&M” isn’t the correct way to describe Batman. It’s incredibly compact. And that’s why it’s one of the most forceful inverts out there. 8 out of 10

Batman Lift.jpg

Batman Zero-G.jpg
Superman may be the more powerful superhero, but Batman is the more powerful coaster.

Superman is another B&M that isn’t the biggest. It shows it has a set of balls during the pretzel loop, but Superman immediate castrates himself afterwards. In the summer, I find the overbanks pretty dull, but they’re mesmerizing during HITP with the brisk air and holiday lights. 7.5 out of 10

Superman Overview.jpg

Superman Pretzel Loop.jpg
Superman shows his Kryptonian balls on the pretzel loop.

Superman Turn.jpg
But then Lois Lane domesticates him for the rest of the ride.

One B&M that is one of the biggest is Green Lantern. I know this is one of the park’s more hated rides. And I used to be on the hate train. I used to hate this coaster more than the Green Lantern movie that is even hated by its leading actor. No seriously, just watch the Deadpool 2 post-credits scene. :lol:

But ever since I learned to adjust the stand-up restraints down to my shoulders, I now love B&M stand-ups. There is zero headbanging and the forces are incredible. My legs feel like jelly by the time we hit the brake run. This is up there with Riddler as the best stand-up and it isn’t close. 8 out of 10

Green Lantern Overview.jpg
In coldest day, in blackest night...

Green Lantern Turnaround.jpg
Green Lantern is an absolute delight.

However, the star of HITP is Nitro. Maybe that’ll change next year with Jersey Devil, but until then, Nitro is the coaster I always marathon. I always hit the brake run with tears running down my face. And those tears have usually froze by the time we return to the station.

Compared to a lot of other B&M hypers, Nitro’s airtime is a bit weaker. That’s especially true towards the front of the train. But it does have some sort of airtime on every hill and there’s just something magical riding this thing around Christmas. It feels unnatural. 8.5 out of 10

Nitro.jpg
It's miraculous this thing has never valleyed considering the conditions they run this thing in.

We also took a few laps on Joker. I almost forgot since I don’t have any direct pictures of it since my loose articles were safely tucked away in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo.

At SFNE, Joker is the star of HITP. And while Great Adventure’s Joker is every bit as wild and unpredictable, it’s only the fifth best coaster at this park during HITP. 7.5 out of 10

Joker.jpg
Here's a picture of the Christmas Tree that also conveniently pictures Joker.

Beyond the coasters, we also made sure to hit Houdini and SkyScreamer.

I’ve never actually been on Great Adventure’s Houdini, so I was interested to compare it to New England’s. In terms of the props and ride cycle, they’re identical. However, I do slightly prefer Great Adventure’s since it has narration from start to finish. 8 out of 10

Houdini.jpg
Houdini seems to really love candy canes.

SkyScreamer was unequivocally the most frigid ride of the night. I forgot how the one at Great Adventure does that pause mid-ride before accelerating to its top speed. But our shivering was rewarded with a breathtaking view of the park’s lights. 8 out of 10

SkyScreamer.jpg
In the past I've ridden the Skyway to view the lights at night. I decided for a much more frigid journey this year.

In terms of food, we sampled some of the holiday offerings. Special thanks to coasterbill for recommending the bacon wrapped pork kabobs, as those things were scrumptious. I didn’t know Six Flags could cook meat that well.

We also grabbed a chicken comfort bowl. The warmth was definitely comforting and it was way better than the usual chicken and fries if you ask me.

Pork Kabob.jpg
This is something I'd expect from Knoebels, not Six Flags.

Bowl of Comfort.jpg
Why do I find the name "bowl of comfort" so funny?

With an hour before closing, there was only one logical stop for us- Nitro. I was surprised to find a full train, but it was a pleasant surprise since the park only opened the back if all other rows were filled.

However, slowly but surely, the crowds faded. Maybe it was the cold. Or maybe it was the fact some people had to work the following day. But eventually we got a (fro)zen ride on Nitro.

I know Nitro had been running all-day, but it felt like it was going to valley. The train absolutely crawled over the camelbacks. And the ride sensed it too. We braced ourselves for the usual slowdown on the mid-course, but we rocketed through it untouched.

This resulted in some serious airtime during the finale. We’re not talking El Toro levels of airtime, but the strength of this airtime was just below Fury 325’s bunny hills. I didn’t know Nitro had it in itself to do that. It was without a doubt the best ride I’ve ever had on Nitro.

Nitro2.PNG
It felt like our faces we're going to fall off. But it was worth it.

Holiday in the Park just may be my favorite time of year to visit Great Adventure. That’s almost a ridiculous statement since one of the world’s best coasters is closed, but the sheer ridiculousness of riding coasters (with no lines) in these conditions makes it special.

And assuming Jersey Devil is at least as good as the original Raptors, this event will only get better.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby grsupercity » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:56 am

You gotta love Six Flags. They give negative. Oh its below freezing? Open everything
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:08 am

We had that happen during HITP too with Nitro not stopping on the midcourse. The bunnyhops were awesome!

Nice report!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:08 pm

grsupercity wrote:You gotta love Six Flags. They give negative. Oh its below freezing? Open everything

Six Flags has one of the best weather policies in the business. It's their attendance policy that can give me concern on harsh days.

boldikus wrote:We had that happen during HITP too with Nitro not stopping on the midcourse. The bunnyhops were awesome!

Nice report!

Thanks! Only a few more weeks until they reopen.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Oops - wrong thread to post in! Such a silly old bear I am. :roll:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:22 am

Disney’s Hollywood Studios- Rise of the Resistance

Indiana Jones Adventure is one of my favorite rides in the world. To have a wild dark ride with imposing set-pieces based on one of my favorite film franchises was a dream come true. It would take something truly special to top Indiana Jones Adventure.

But Disney did it with Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.

And I was torn if I wanted to wait until the ride’s operational issues were sorted out. On one hand, the lottery boarding system seemed like a nightmare. On the other hand, I was fearful some effects could be scrapped much like Indiana Jones Adventure (remember the dry ice?).

A lack of will power won out, so I found myself pulling into the Hollywood Studios parking lot at 5:30 AM.

Entrance.jpg
5:30 am

Rope Drop.jpg
Seeing this many people 1.5 hours before park opening brought me back to Japan.

Did I have to be there that early to get a boarding pass? No. I just needed to be in the park by 7.

So why was I there that early? To rope drop Slinky Dog Dash. One of the side effects of Rise of the Resistance’s virtual queue opening with the park is that early morning walk-ons are a thing of the past.

Not only was I on the second train of the day, but I also rode it three other times throughout the day. I was lucky enough to find two FastPasses and also hopped in line right before closing. The light package around Slinky really is fantastic.

Slinky Dog Dash Queue Start 1.jpg
10 minutes after park opening, Slinky's line was already back to Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

Slinky Dog Dash Queue Start 2.jpg
And there were no gaps. The line was solid from Slinky's entrance all the way to Little Mermaid.

Slinky Dog Dash Straightaway.jpg
This face gets me out of bed in the morning.

Weezy Finale.png
Weezy is fine, but really we want Slinky to sing to us in his raspy voice.

Slinky Dog Dash Helix (Night).jpg
Experiencing Slinky Dog at night is a must.

Slinky Dog Dash Lights.jpg
You could say he gets turned on.

Slinky Dog Dash Launch 2 (Night).jpg
A Canobie Coaster approved butt shot of Slinky.

I also rode all my usual favorites like Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania, and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. I also made sure to see Voyage of the Little Mermaid. One, I remembered it being a good show (and it was). But more importantly, it was the fastest way to use all three of my FastPasses and start rebooking the better Tier 1 rides.

Tower of Terror Sunset.jpg
I've stayed at far worse hotels. This one actually has a semi-operational elevator.

Toy Story Mania.jpg
Toy Story Mania, causing tennis elbow for Disney fans since 2008.

Rock n Roller Coaster Entrance.jpg
This ride is super unrealistic. You can never hit 57 mph on a LA highway.

Ariel.jpg
The Little Mermaid probably has my favorite music of the animated Disney films.

Ursula.jpg
Ursula looked even creepier on-stage than she did in the film.

Alien Swirling Saucers 2.jpg
I also tried out Alien Swirling Saucers. It felt like a PTC Crazy Daisy crossed with a whip.

But enough dilly dallying, here are my thoughts on the Big Kahuna- Rise of the Resistance.

Rise of the Resistance Boarding Passes

I had two days at Hollywood Studios. In the days leading up to my trip, I was getting nervous. Boarding passes were disappearing in less than a minute. That left very little room for error for a technology glitch.

I had practiced the technique to join a boarding group back home. I had the best luck if I clicked “Find Out More” at exactly 7 am. However, I almost got screwed on Day 1 since Disney opened the boarding groups a minute early at 6:59. Luckily I heard all the cheering behind me, so I realized something was amiss. I scored group 62. By 7 am, Rise of the Resistance was already onto back-up groups. Yikes!

On Day 2, I somehow got the first boarding group of the day! And I realized I had a major advantage over everyone else. Since I was a single rider, I was able to skip the “Select Your Party” screen. When you’re competing against thousands of other guests, those milliseconds count!

BGs.JPG
I won the game of fastest finger.

So here’s my strategy.

- Have the My Disney Experience app open on the home screen.

- Use LTE/data. Don’t trust the overloaded Disney network.

- Click Find Out More immediately after (but not before) your phone switches over to the park opening time. If Join Boarding Group isn’t lit up, hit back and try again. Don’t try refreshing. That didn’t work for me.

It’s also worth noting that Disney doesn’t drop the rope until after the boarding group madness is complete. And that’s smart. I can just imagine the carnage of a stampede of people staring at their phone screens.

Boarding Groups Gone.jpg
It was an early morning, but it was worth it to avoid this sign.

Rise of the Resistance- Experience

Spoilers

This goes without saying, but there will be spoilers!

Rise of the Resistance is continues the trend of Disney attractions having well-themed queues. The queue is themed to the base for the resistance. Star Wars fans are sure to geek out at all the paraphernalia- thermal detonators, flight helmets, etc.

Rise of the Resistance Boarding Groups.jpg

Rise of the Resistance Queue.jpg
Seems like the perfect hideout for a rebel base.

Eventually you reach the first pre-show. For my early boarding pass, I walked right into the pre-show. For boarding group 62, I had to wait maybe a half hour.

After I’ve seen a preshow once, I sort of wish I could walk right onto the attraction. I already know the plot, so I’m ready to ride! But on Rise of the Resistance, I would be mad if I skipped the pre-shows. They are essential parts of the experience. You are truly transported into a full Star Wars story!

Rey.jpg
This pre-show set the tone for the level of immersion throughout the attraction.

After being debriefed by an impressive Rey hologram, you re-emerge into the daylight and are ushered onto a transport shuttle. Staff members tell everyone to hold on, but I sort of chuckled figuring that was just for show. But I was wrong! The transport is actually a restraintless motion simulator!

This was combined with some impressive animatronics and show scenes that unfolded out every window of the transport. It was a complete sensory overload.

Rise of the Resistance Transport.jpg
Rise of the Resistance is two rides in one. I was not expecting that!

Beck 3.jpg
The Admiral Ackbar wannabe looked amazing.

Eventually your ship is caught by a Star Destroyer’s tractor beam and you’re detained by the First Order. I expected the back door of the transport to open, but much to my shock, the same door we entered reopened to reveal a gigantic ship hangar.

The reveal was magical. Shots of this room have unsurprisingly gone viral. The grandeur of the room with the spaceships, window into space, and 50+ Stormtroopers is overwhelming.

Ship Hangar.jpg
Pictures do not do the grandeur of this scene justice.

The First Order officers then shuttle you into a hallway where you’re grouped for your interrogation. These cast members were extremely intimidating and made the experience authentic. They were 100% into their roles. Anyone expecting the usual chipper Disney employees will be in for a rude awakening.

Grouping Hallway.jpg
I dare you to touch the computers. I double dog dare you.

The second preshow takes place in this odd V-shaped room and I strongly recommend you to stand towards the back. I was in the front on my first ride and missed a few effects, including the one that leads to you boarding your escape pod and the main ride system.

Rise of the Resistance Pre-Show 2.png
Am I supposed to be scared of General Hux?

By this point, you’re been in preshows for about 12-14 minutes. That shows the level of immersion Disney was targeting with this attraction. And it culminates in an incredible trackless dark ride with so many mind-blowing animatronics and special effects.

The first room showcases the range of motion on the vehicles, as you dance about the Star Destroyer. This room is reminiscent of the first room on Antarctica, but thankfully the ride that follows actually has theming.

The whole experience is very tense since you’re being hotly pursued from start to finish. You’re attacked by laser blasts, lightsabers, and even the Force. All the effects are extremely well executed.

Lightsaber Cutting Ceiling.png
So many mind-blowing effects around every corner.

In terms of my favorite scenes, four come to mind. The first is the AT-AT scene. The sheer size of the walkers is mind-blowing. I knew they’d be huge, but I wasn’t expecting them to be that large. It’s something only Disney could pull off.

The second is a sequence where you’re dodging turrets firing into space. These turrets move forwards and backwards, so the ride vehicle has to strategically dodge them. This is something that could only be done with the trackless ride system.

Turrets.png
This felt straight out of a video game having to dodge the turrets.

The third is the final Kylo Ren sequence. The range of motion on the Kylo animatronic is stunning and I love the effect where he’s blasted into space. It all comes together so seamlessly.

Kylo and Hux.png

Kylo Animatronic.png
Both Kylo animatronics looked incredible!

The fourth is the finale. Rise of the Resistance is listed as a thrill ride. Everything up to this point, is mind-blowing. But none of the motion comes close to a Dinosaur or even a Spiderman. But then the finale happens.

You’re loaded into an elevator and drop maybe 40-50 feet. This drop is comparable to a drop track on a roller coaster or even a plunge on the Tower of Terror. My stomach dropped both times.

And without any pause, the vehicle then transitions into a motion simulator segment. Being able to effortlessly switch from a trackless ride system to a drop tower to a motion simulator in a 10 second span certainly caught me off-guard.

Rise Vehicles.jpg
The awesomeness of Rise of the Resistance makes the wasted potential of Antarctica even sadder now.

End Spoilers

Overall

Rise of the Resistance was everything I could have ever wanted…and then some! The length and quality of the experience is unmatched by any other theme park attraction. Each element comes together seamlessly to deliver a one-of-a-kind experience.

Rise of the Resistance is the best attraction Disney has ever made. It’s also the best dark ride in the world. And I’d also slot in ahead of a few coasters in my top 10. That’s how special Rise of the Resistance is.
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:30 pm.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm

Also to everyone who has recommended Maria and Enzo's over the years, it was excellent. I highly recommend the restaurant.
CP.jpg
Int.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!