Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Waldameer- Ravine Flyer II and Braserie, Dearie?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 17 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Condor » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:21 am

Great photos and reviews. My experiences on all of the coasters in July closely mirror yours except for Comet, which felt slower and rougher than my previous visit. Glad some people are still getting quality rides on it this year. Maybe I caught it on an off day!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:21 pm

gardyloo! wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:Thanks!

I actually really liked the drop on Flying Aces, but the one on Skyrush has a kink halfway down. You get strong ejector airtime cresting the drop and then get pushed even further out of your seat halfway down.

The restraints on Skyrush look similar, but the underside is profiled differently. The ones on Flying Aces are contoured a bit on the bottom while the ones on Skyrush are a flat bar that comes across your thighs.

Oh I though Flying Aces drop gave amazing floater, just not the ejector I was hoping for.

Ah I see how Skyrush's restraint are found to be more uncomfortable. Looks like Intamin however, has fixed that problem with their latest train design. Although, I still prefer the old school T-bar. :p

I love the new Intamin lap bars (like Taron or Red Force) and the old T-bars.

Condor wrote:Great photos and reviews. My experiences on all of the coasters in July closely mirror yours except for Comet, which felt slower and rougher than my previous visit. Glad some people are still getting quality rides on it this year. Maybe I caught it on an off day!

Thanks! Comet ran just as well as it has for me from past visits, so it sounds like you caught it on a bad day.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure & Waldameer

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby VegasBaby » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:09 pm

Love Hersheypark, it's probably my 3rd favorite park after Cedar Point and BGW. I really want to get back there next year to ride Candymonium and check out the new entrance. Thanks for sharing your trip report!
Coaster Count: 232 Last Coaster: Iron Rattler
Top Ten: 1) Superman The Ride 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Shambhala 9) Lightning Rod 10) Mako

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Hersheypark is definitely up there for me as well. It's a beautiful park with some great coasters.

Postby prozach626 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Great TR. Hershey is one of my ideal examples of what a large modern corporate park can be.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 pm

Thanks! Hersheypark has found the perfect balance between thrill rides and appearance.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:25 am

Six Flags Great Adventure

My visits to Six Flags Great Adventure typically fall into two categories.

1) I visit when it isn't Holiday in the Park for a few hours. I'll ride Kingda Ka, Nitro, and Zumajaro once. And then I'll marathon El Toro.

2) I visit when it's Holiday in the Park and marathon the B&Ms.

This visit was textbook category 1.

Skyline.JPG
One of the most famous amusement park skylines.

The day started with an El Toro marathon. The ride opened a few minutes late, but I rode it nonstop for the first hour in the back car. Several times I was able to stay onboard without getting out of my seat.

El Toro is an uneven coaster in my opinion. The ride's four best moments are as good as any coaster. The sustained ejector airtime on the first drop, two camelbacks, and Rolling Thunder Hill are matched by very few coasters.

But I don't love the middle section of the ride. El Toro has a lot of speed, but the turnaround and speed hill don't do much for me. And then the twister section at the end is decent, but it just can't rival the insanity that precedes it.

In terms of smoothness, El Toro was still running quite smoothly. There was one bad jolt at the bottom of the turnaround, but Six Flags has done a good job addressing these so I expect this bit to be retracked this offseason. 9 out of 10

El Toro Drop (Aerial).jpg
I can feel the airtime just looking at this photo.

El Toro Rolling Thunder Hill (Aerial).JPG
El Toro is a really interesting looking ride with the slender first half and spread out finale.

Getting on Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro were ordeals. The rides kept opening and closing throughout the day. It seemed like every time I'd make the hike over to Golden Kingdom, one or both rides were closed.

When Kingda Ka opened, I used my skip-the-line pass. It may have been a walk-on, but I didn't care. Even if I skipped 2 people, that very well could have been the difference between avoiding a breakdown. The park was allowing you to wait for the front, so I took the gamble Kingda Ka wouldn't go down and was rewarded with one of the best adrenaline rushes of any coaster. The force of that launch is incredible, the sense of speed is unreal, and the top hat is fantastic for the view and pop of airtime. 8.5 out of 10

Golden Kingdom.JPG
I can't believe this area used to be a parking lot. Six Flags actually made the area look really nice!

Cheetah.JPG
As fast as this cheetah runs, I had a date with a coaster 2X faster.

Kingda Ka Launch.JPG
No I did not take my phone with me. I went up the exit ramp afterwards to get this photo.

Zumanjaro kept getting stuck halfway up the tower, but I was able to catch it when it reopened. And I was rewarded with a walk-on. Granted, I've never seen this drop tower have a line because of how obnoxiously long the queue is. The walk to Zumanjaro is good training for a 5K.

The height and view on Zumanjaro is as good as any drop tower, but the drop felt a bit weaker than past years. It was ridiculously long, but it lacked the stomach dropping sensation the other Intamin drop towers typically provide. 8 out of 10

Kingda Ka Speed Hill.JPG
I don't have any photos of Zumanjaro since it kept breaking down, so here's another picture of Kingda Ka.

In my non-Holiday in the Park visits, I typically avoid the B&Ms anyway. But the crowds made the decision easy for me. When I visited, Six Flags was skipping every other row and loading one party per row. This transformed the 4 across B&Ms into the least efficient coasters in the park.

Bizarro Fire.jpg
This was the one B&M looper I wanted to ride since it's not open for HITP, but it had a 90 minute wait. No thanks!

Green Lantern Drop.jpg
I wasn't going to stand for a 2 hour line. Get it?

Superman Turnaround.jpg
Superman was also posting a 2 hour wait. And this was on a weekday.

I used my second skip-the-line pass on Nitro. That was the one B&M I was not willing to skip. I was able to request the back row, which is my favorite seat and I can't always get that at HITP when they need to front load the train (understandably).

And Nitro was running far faster than I remember. I think I'm just used to this thing crawling along in sub-freezing temperatures. The airtime was stronger than I remember. However, the ride was rattling badly in the valleys in the first half. Maybe it was a bad train, but I'm hoping it runs smoother for HITP. 8 out of 10

Nitro (Aerial).JPG
Six Flags's most explosive coaster.

When I returned to El Toro in the early afternoon, the entire queue was filled and it had a posted 90 minute wait. Thankfully, I had one last skip-the-line pass that allowed me to bypass that wait. This made me extremely glad I marathoned the ride early in the day.

That was especially true when I discovered the park was now assigning seats on El Toro and you couldn't request a specific row, even if it was free. That was a bit disappointing, but I realize El Toro's station is so narrow it's near impossible to social distance and it's not something the park does in normal years. But even in the middle row, the ride's signature four elements still delivered boatloads of airtime.

El Toro Drop (Front 1).JPG
One of the best drops in the world.

El Toro 2nd Hill (Front 2).JPG
So much sustained ejector airtime.

El Toro Turnaround Drop (Front).JPG
But the middle section is a bit dull.

El Toro Rolling Thunder Hill 1.JPG
Thankfully, El Toro has one last hurrah with the Rolling Thunder hill.

The only other ride I rode was Runaway Mine Train. I caught it after a breakdown, so it was a walk-on. The ride was as janky as you'd expect an old Arrow mine train to be, but the final bunny hill delivers a powerful pop of airtime. That moment is why I rode the coaster and it did not disappoint. 5.5 out of 10

Runaway Mine Train Finale.jpg
Six Flags doesn't put out "No Swimming" signs. They just have the water look like this and it's a natural deterrent.

When I visited, construction had ceased on Jersey Devil, but I could see it popping above the kids area. I can't wait for this coaster to open next year and if it rides anything like the other Raptors, I think it will become the new best ride in the park (for me at least).

I'm hoping to make it back to Great Adventure before HITP for some more El Toro rides, but I'll definitely be back for Holiday in the Park as long as the park remains open.

Jersey Devil Coaster Turnaround.JPG
Raptors always look super cool in person with that narrow track gauge.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 am

Great report. I really miss Six Flags Great Adventure. I visited for the first time back in July 2016 and haven't been since. El Toro and Nitro are spectacular, and I enjoyed Kingda Ka much more than I anticipated.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to visit next year!
Steel: 197 / Wood: 33 / Total: 230
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am

Thanks! Jersey Devil should be a compelling reason combined with their already loaded lineup.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:26 am

Just curious but what's your take on Kingda Ka vs Dragster? I've only been on Dragster and I can't imagine the two experiences to be that much different but some people seem to really prefer one to the other, so just wondered where you stood on it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!