TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Six Flags did that considering their relationship with S&S and I imagine this ride won't break the bank.  Now that you mention it, this would be a perfect fit at Six Flags New England considering they don't have a launch coaster and are pressed for space.

• Like 1

Morey's Piers

While Morey's Piers is normally my favorite Jersey Boardwalk park, it was not my favorite in 2020.  That was for two reasons.  One, there were no wristbands in 2020.  Two, several notable rides were closed including Great White and the dark rides.  For that reason, I only wanted to pop in for an hour or two to grab the two new coaster credits, ride some of my favorites, and soak up the atmosphere.

I assumed the park would be dead on a weeknight before closing, but I was wrong.  The park was reasonably well attended.  Combine that with glacially slow operations from the park's covid precautions (rides were wiped down after every cycle) and I was lucky to have ridden the three rides I did.  That being said, some time at Morey's is better than no time at Morey's and I know the park will be operating more normally in future seasons.

1555830608_MarinersPier(Far).thumb.JPG.7db6f60cce6c9da0b2526bc7d3520d01.JPG

1815280900_SurfsidePier(Far).thumb.JPG.8f6cb4b3ecdfefa3cf1cf4a0c0455d29.JPG

Stop 1 was Wild Whizzer, the SBF Visa spinner with an awesome name.  I like how this one is at the edge of the boardwalk and I got some good spinning thanks to an off-balanced car, but I'm sort of embarrassed to say I had to wait a half hour for this one.  3 out of 10

1420999888_WildWhizzerTurn.thumb.JPG.ad4230baafc35a429c286d8269d8214f.JPG

Stop 2 was Runaway Tram, the new-for-2019 family coaster that replaced Flitzer.  And this coaster's theme is so perfectly Wildwood with the drunk looking face on the taxi, the comical tram operator on the back of the train, and the perfectly on-cue "Watch the Tram Car Please" announcements.

I thought this coaster would be as tame as a Vekoma roller skater, but it was a step up.  The coaster had a tiny bit of floater airtime on the second hill and a fairly forceful turn after that.  Plus the coaster gave two laps and was immaculately smooth.  I wasn't too upset waiting a half hour for this one.  6 out of 10

428311578_RunawayTramSign.thumb.JPG.67e79308120f4332e2837ee42da1850e.JPG

With a half hour before closing, I was overly optimistic I could ride at least two more attractions.  But those hopes were quickly dashed.  Morey's had already started closing queue lines for the night,.  That included rides such as Great Nor'Easter and it.  I would have ridden Zoom Phloom but that ride was down for the night due to mechanical issues, something that happened in my first visit to Morey's Piers as well.  I just have bad luck with that ride, which is a shame because it's an awesome flume.

it.thumb.JPG.cec2a573fc61469019ea43d01e9df2f0.JPG

So I finished the night with AtmosFear.  I was one of the last people allowed in the queue.  These ARM/Larson towers always pack a punch on the drop and this one was no different.  The freefall sensation is matched by no other drop tower.  However, I didn't get the usual floater airtime on the way down since I was stapled.  I didn't know the restraints could go this low on one of these drop towers.  Despite that, the forceful drop combined with the awesome view and lighting package makes it a memorable drop tower.  9 out of 10

688506938_AtmosFearBase.thumb.JPG.c0c918d8925fc2917d574e852b5a7969.JPG

While Morey's Piers closed for the night, the boardwalk was still alive.  Normally, I would have checked out the relocated retro arcade, but I passed due to a lack of enforcement of masks inside the venue.  Instead, I got some delicious French Fries at Idaho Potatoes.  Thanks boldikus for the recommendation!

1085140175_IdahoPotatoes.thumb.JPG.d9d771cc3a3534cb93907481717a5d0f.JPG

Assuming Morey's Piers can operate normally in 2021 with all the signature rides open and wristbands, I plan to come back.  I just hope I have better luck with Zoom Phloom this time!

• Like 1

The one time I rode the GNE during the day, I found it sluggish and the roughness more noticeable. At night it was bonkers and, at the time, I didn't consider it rough for doing what it was doing and its speed. It always seemed faster than Mind Eraser at night maybe due to something with the temps, humidity and sea salt. Near misses were plenty visible and the feeling of coming to the top of the lift over the beach was unmatchable. However this was at least 20 years ago, when I was younger and more GP, B&Ms weren't everywhere, and they had just painted the ride orange after its original pink, still with the original trains and restraints.  

Keansburg Amusement Park

Of all the boardwalk parks in New Jersey, the one I was most worried to visit was Keansburg.  Reports of the park are few and far between, but those who went reported closed rides, erratic hours, and just a bad overall experience.  Even with those expectations, Keansburg still disappointed me.  This has to be one of the worst amusement parks I have ever visited.

Like many boardwalk parks, there's no true entrance.  You can enter by the kids rides, you can enter by the adult flats, or you can enter down Machine Gun Alley like I did.  And that really set the tone for my day.  Note the logs sitting on the midway.  These were the first of many ride vehicles I saw out on the midway.

931858731_MachineGunAlley.thumb.JPG.f7e77741d6a895e9b4e35126f4323752.JPG

My main reasons for visiting Keansburg were to ride my first Pinfari looper, a rare Chance chaos, their recently renovated dark ride, and shamelessly get the kiddie credit.  I went 1/4.  And of course the only one of those open was the kiddie coaster.

To Keansburg's defense, the ticket booth mentioned all of these rides (among others) were closed.  At least half the adult rides were closed, but most of the kids rides appeared to be open except the log flume, which had the vehicles on the midway as I mentioned earlier.  But there was no mention of these ride closures on the website.  And when I tried calling them prior to visiting, my call went straight to voicemail.  In retrospect, that should have been a warning to just stay at Six Flags Great Adventure.

Midway.thumb.JPG.13bb2880d4b021fb7197a4d2fa8666a5.JPG

600343705_HauntedManor.thumb.JPG.322bf294d8d0b3b73ee5c7ed69299cb8.JPG

1228205442_MobyDickLapBars.thumb.JPG.bde5d305697c3ffc4494bad357f6613e.JPG

1653088915_LogFlume.thumb.JPG.fa1fb5e172ff7b46c9db5162f7947553.JPG

887547121_KiddieRides.thumb.JPG.469a9305accab5fc837b9d20c53e646b.JPG

Remember how I said multiple rides had parts on the midway?  That was how I found both Looping Star and Chaos.  It was clear neither ride had run in 2020 nor would they run in 2020.  I'd like to assume they ran in 2019, but that may be giving the park too much credit based on what I saw.

1601435265_LoopingStarClosed.thumb.JPG.72e04922877346e55e856113d3c19833.JPG

1819153286_LoopingStarOverview.thumb.JPG.2d27433b6bb35f7c579a80dd15d4994e.JPG

1509431994_Chaos(Front).thumb.JPG.889e32b0c2ed86a7647e584bf25ed57a.JPG

48901924_ChaosClosed.thumb.JPG.d079be260fc0e833a83ac370db58b433.JPG

Double Shot was also closed.  I was sort of looking forward to that one as well to get a view of the beach and water.  At least Double Shot looked like it could open later in the season (I visited in early August) since it had water dummies, but I have no clue if it ever did.  The ride had fresh tarps on the vehicle advertising Coca Cola, but the ride's moniker atop the tower had torn off on one side and probably blown away.

302984529_DoubleShotClosed.thumb.JPG.2c2381e9ec405d63d3cc824e6902722b.JPG

518409147_DoubleShotTop.thumb.JPG.96aa8a3c1fbfda3e6fdd657b08323b15.JPG

So what did I actually ride?  One, I rode the Sea Serpent kiddie coaster.  If you weren't able to tell from my photos, the park was dead so it was a walk-on.  This was a decent kiddie coaster.  The Miler ones tend to have more of a bite to them and I was just excited to actually see something operating at this point.  3 out of 10

1210601498_SeaSerpentCamelback.thumb.JPG.db571b63564a3c20d95e5d055a133348.JPG

The only other ride I tried was the Loop-O-Plane.  I had only ridden one of these once before at a fair in Oregon and it's an intense little ride with some great hangtime.  And I also couldn't help but chuckle at the loose wire just flopping around from one of the counterweights.  7 out of 10

134623205_Loop-O-PlaneLooseWire.thumb.JPG.51e51e4087b3061688db48a86946f010.JPG

The thing that shocked me most was that as bad as Keansburg Amusement Park looked, their affiliated water park across the street looked really nice.  It's clear where the park has been funneling all its money, as the water park looked clean and freshly painted while the ride park looked like it was dying and falling apart.

1211801014_RunawayRapidsNewTower.thumb.JPG.a624e6927c604b6bb5d5c5d942834d7f.JPG

998385400_RunawayRapidsOldTower.thumb.JPG.494b448bb50828ba45f5509d5b974ee5.JPG

I know I visited in 2020, but it was clear the park's deteriorated state wasn't just due to the pandemic.  This had been going on for years.  I do want to come back someday for the rides I missed, but that would mean I'd have to willingly give up time at either Great Adventure or one of the superior Pennsylvania parks for this place.  And I don't know if I could do that unless I got a verbal confirmation over the phone from the park that all three of those rides were actually operating.

We used to go to Keansburg when I was really little and still living in the area, and it's gone downhill horrendously since then.  Rikki and I were in the area again back when we were looking at wedding venues a few years back, and I asked if she'd be okay if we'd drive by as I hadn't been there in nearly two decades. We didn't even get out of the car; we saw how run down the place was from the road and decided to just keep on driving. Sorry to hear that your experience confirmed my assumptions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, michaellynn4 said:

We used to go to Keansburg when I was really little and still living in the area, and it's gone downhill horrendously since then.  Rikki and I were in the area again back when we were looking at wedding venues a few years back, and I asked if she'd be okay if we'd drive by as I hadn't been there in nearly two decades. We didn't even get out of the car; we saw how run down the place was from the road and decided to just keep on driving. Sorry to hear that your experience confirmed my assumptions.

I also forgot to mention the park got rid of their old Lusse bumper cars.  I really wish I could have visited this park 20 years ago before it reached this state.

5 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^^ you are a braver man than I

i would have seen some of the condition of these rides, and said "nope". . and gotten back int he car!

I probably should have stayed in the car, but by that point I was committed to riding at least something.

Wow this brings me back.  Maybe over-sharing, but here are some fun facts about Keansburg Amusement Park (and the town) and how it has affected my life:

-My father lived in that town from birth to age 35.  He worked on that very "boardwalk," staffing games of chance, throughout his entire high school career.
-My mother lived in nearby Sayreville growing up, and her and her 6 siblings would frequently visit that "boardwalk" since it was the closest and cheapest amusement center to their home.
-My father met my mother while working those stupid games and married her right out of high school.  Because of this, I swore I would never do that for work...until I did, running the same stupid games in Seaside Heights, for the summers before and after my last year of college.  It was the greatest job I've ever had.
-I lived in that town from birth to age 5.  My old house was within 10 minutes bicycling distance of the amusement park, but my parents wouldn't let me go without them.  Here is a streetview of that house in 2018.  It didn't have the second story or even that part that juts out to the right back in 1989 when we left, but we did have a pretty sweet in-ground pool, which it appears to still have. My parents moved me out after kindergarten because the public schools were, and still are, absolutely terrible. My kindergarten was in a trailer in the high school's parking lot.
-That said, I have a ton of great childhood memories of that amusement park, particularly the miniature train ride, the boats-go-round, the motocycles-go-round, and the firetrucks-go-round, and countless similar X-go-round rides they they had, and still have.  My father would tell me that they were all there during his youth as well, meaning they're now 70+ years old.  There's something to be said for that.
-My first coaster that I can ever remember riding was their Schwarzkopf Wildcat that they had from the late '70s to the early 2010s.  Not sure what the height requirement was back then, but I'm pretty sure I didn't meet it and the teenage ride ops didn't care.  From my understanding, It was damaged beyond repair during Hurricane Sandy, thus the Pinfari looper that now occupies its spot.
-I was always too scared to go through the Spook House, their dark ride, (I was 5, after all), but now really regret never getting on it.  Though if I had to bet, it probably hasn't changed much in the past 32 years, but the website does say that it's "undergoing renovation."  Bonus Fun Fact:  That dark ride has existed since 1931. 
-I've been back a total of once during my adult years, when I was going through one of my sentimental phases in my late-20s.  Spook House was sadly closed.
-There used to be a full-nude strip club called "Chaser's" not half a mile from the amusement park, right near the corner where Main Street turns into Beachway Avenue.  As hinted at by the name, the dancers tended to be on the larger side.  Back in the early 2000s, I had a "friends-with-benefits" thing going with a girl who danced there (no, I didn't meet her that way LOL).  Streetview shows it boarded up, but still has the same sign on the roof.
-The water park was in fact a shit-hole back in the day, and has been where they've been dumping the most money over the past 25 years.  Bonus Fun Maybe-Fact:  I believe they leveled the entire previous waterpark to construct the current one.

One of these days I really should go back.  If the place ever folds completely, I really hope Knoebel's buys up all of their historic kiddie rides and the dark ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bert425 said:

^^ you are a braver man than I

i would have seen some of the condition of these rides, and said "nope". . and gotten back int he car!

This park actually reminds me of a few (?) parks we visited in the TPR 2012 China Tour. They looked similar to what you found in this one... i.e not much open. And not looking like the rides were kept in good condition, etc. Very bizarre and challenging trip that was, when such parks were visited.

The free swinging cable on that Loop-O-Plane has gotta be the most "Hold my beer" moment at a US theme park.

9 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

I probably should have stayed in the car, but by that point I was committed to riding at least something.

If only the park was as committed to opening/operating rides as you were to riding them. :p

Man maybe it's just me but I absolutely love the look of they style/era slide towers. It might just be nostalgia for places like Wet n Wild but these old style slide structures are just the coolest to me.

Also check out that slide in the lower left with the up hill section! I found a few videos on Youtube of that slide and it doesn't look like a master blaster even though there's piping underneath of it, just an old school up hill water slide lol. I'd love to try that one.

image.png.28e3672184c374a2d1651b57d171efa5.png

• Like 1

Yeah, this doesn't look that vastly different from the last time I visited Keansburg which was either four or five years ago at this point. Even back then the Looping Star wasn't running, their Gravitron was half in pieces, and there were maybe about three ride operators cycling through the entire park. If you wanted to ride anything you just had to wait by the ride and hope one of them saw you. My son and I actually DID manage to get on the Chaos, but aside from that it was pretty much bumper cars, wave swinger, kiddie coaster, Loop-O-Plane, and back on the road. I don't think we spent more than an hour and a half there total. It absolutely was a total shitshow and it doesn't look like it's improved at all.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

-My first coaster that I can ever remember riding was their Schwarzkopf Wildcat that they had from the late '70s to the early 2010s.  Not sure what the height requirement was back then, but I'm pretty sure I didn't meet it and the teenage ride ops didn't care.  From my understanding, It was damaged beyond repair during Hurricane Sandy, thus the Pinfari looper that now occupies its spot.

Oh man, that Wildcat! I almost forgot entirely about it. That was one of my first-ever coasters, too, I remember riding it when my aunt took my siblings and I one weekend. I remember on the same trip my aunt promising my younger sister (around 7-8 at the time) that she'd go on only one ride with her because she was terrified of them. My sister picked some mini Paratrooper ride they had at the time, and my aunt spent the entire ride clutching my sister tightly and practically cried in her lap until the ride stopped. Haha thanks for that, I totally forgot about that memory.

Your understanding is also true, the Wildcat suffered too much damage during Sandy. Based on what I read online, it looks like Keansburg has had a much slower recovery from Sandy than other boardwalk parks in the area, maybe due to its location. Maybe one day it'll bounce back, but a lot is going to have to change in order to get there,

spacer.png 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Wow this brings me back.  Maybe over-sharing, but here are some fun facts about Keansburg Amusement Park (and the town) and how it has affected my life:

-My father lived in that town from birth to age 35.  He worked on that very "boardwalk," staffing games of chance, throughout his entire high school career.
-My mother lived in nearby Sayreville growing up, and her and her 6 siblings would frequently visit that "boardwalk" since it was the closest and cheapest amusement center to their home.
-My father met my mother while working those stupid games and married her right out of high school.  Because of this, I swore I would never do that for work...until I did, running the same stupid games in Seaside Heights, for the summers before and after my last year of college.  It was the greatest job I've ever had.
-I lived in that town from birth to age 5.  My old house was within 10 minutes bicycling distance of the amusement park, but my parents wouldn't let me go without them.  Here is a streetview of that house in 2018.  It didn't have the second story or even that part that juts out to the right back in 1989 when we left, but we did have a pretty sweet in-ground pool, which it appears to still have. My parents moved me out after kindergarten because the public schools were, and still are, absolutely terrible. My kindergarten was in a trailer in the high school's parking lot.
-That said, I have a ton of great childhood memories of that amusement park, particularly the miniature train ride, the boats-go-round, the motocycles-go-round, and the firetrucks-go-round, and countless similar X-go-round rides they they had, and still have.  My father would tell me that they were all there during his youth as well, meaning they're now 70+ years old.  There's something to be said for that.
-I was always too scared to go through the Spook House, their dark ride, (I was 5, after all), but now really regret never getting on it.  Though if I had to bet, it probably hasn't changed much in the past 32 years, but the website does say that it's "undergoing renovation."  Bonus Fun Fact:  That dark ride has existed since 1931. 
-I've been back a total of once during my adult years, when I was going through one of my sentimental phases in my late-20s.  Spook House was sadly closed.
-There used to be a full-nude strip club called "Chaser's" not half a mile from the amusement park, right near the corner where Main Street turns into Beachway Avenue.  As hinted at by the name, the dancers tended to be on the larger side.  Back in the early 2000s, I had a "friends-with-benefits" thing going with a girl who danced there (no, I didn't meet her that way LOL).  Streetview shows it boarded up, but still has the same sign on the roof.
-The water park was in fact a shit-hole back in the day, and has been where they've been dumping the most money over the past 25 years.  Bonus Fun Maybe-Fact:  I believe they leveled the entire previous waterpark to construct the current one.

One of these days I really should go back.  If the place ever folds completely, I really hope Knoebel's buys up all of their historic kiddie rides and the dark ride.

Thanks for all the information!  Hopefully, the ride side can see an improvement like the water park.  That's encouraging they fixed that side at least.

12 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

This park actually reminds me of a few (?) parks we visited in the TPR 2012 China Tour. They looked similar to what you found in this one... i.e not much open. And not looking like the rides were kept in good condition, etc. Very bizarre and challenging trip that was, when such parks were visited.

That's one of the reasons I'm skeptical to travel some of the smaller parks in China.

5 hours ago, CaptainUnknown said:

The free swinging cable on that Loop-O-Plane has gotta be the most "Hold my beer" moment at a US theme park.

If only the park was as committed to opening/operating rides as you were to riding them. :p

I still think the operator at Camden Park dispatching Big Dipper with my lap bar up and yelling at us to lower our broken lap bar was crazier.  Long story short, we were evacuated and he sent the rest of the train and riders around.

1 hour ago, Hilltopper39 said:

Man maybe it's just me but I absolutely love the look of they style/era slide towers. It might just be nostalgia for places like Wet n Wild but these old style slide structures are just the coolest to me.

Also check out that slide in the lower left with the up hill section! I found a few videos on Youtube of that slide and it doesn't look like a master blaster even though there's piping underneath of it, just an old school up hill water slide lol. I'd love to try that one.

image.png.28e3672184c374a2d1651b57d171efa5.png

DelGrosso's has the same slide.  There it's called Gravity Groove.  The slide is unique, but it's not particularly thrilling since you crest the uphill section slowly (for obvious reasons).  It's not uncommon to see it valley.

1 hour ago, coneyislandchris said:

Yeah, this doesn't look that vastly different from the last time I visited Keansburg which was either four or five years ago at this point. Even back then the Looping Star wasn't running, their Gravitron was half in pieces, and there were maybe about three ride operators cycling through the entire park. If you wanted to ride anything you just had to wait by the ride and hope one of them saw you. My son and I actually DID manage to get on the Chaos, but aside from that it was pretty much bumper cars, wave swinger, kiddie coaster, Loop-O-Plane, and back on the road. I don't think we spent more than an hour and a half there total. It absolutely was a total shitshow and it doesn't look like it's improved at all.

That's awesome he got on Chaos!  I'm not surprised they had rotating ride operators.  They didn't have rotating operators the day I visited, but there were so few rides open they could staff everything normally.

38 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

Man I would be bummed if I traveled to this place. Neat pictures of a little park I have not heard of 

I definitely was disappointed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, michaellynn4 said:

Oh man, that Wildcat! I almost forgot entirely about it. That was one of my first-ever coasters, too, I remember riding it when my aunt took my siblings and I one weekend. I remember on the same trip my aunt promising my younger sister (around 7-8 at the time) that she'd go on only one ride with her because she was terrified of them. My sister picked some mini Paratrooper ride they had at the time, and my aunt spent the entire ride clutching my sister tightly and practically cried in her lap until the ride stopped. Haha thanks for that, I totally forgot about that memory.

Your understanding is also true, the Wildcat suffered too much damage during Sandy. Based on what I read online, it looks like Keansburg has had a much slower recovery from Sandy than other boardwalk parks in the area, maybe due to its location. Maybe one day it'll bounce back, but a lot is going to have to change in order to get there,

spacer.png 

I agree the park will need to invest a lot into rides and TLC to dramatically improve the park, but the area around Keansburg didn't seem to be as popular and busy as the other boardwalks.

Jenkinson's Boardwalk

Of all the New Jersey Boardwalks, probably the best one for young kids would be Jenkinson's Boardwalk.  Almost every ride in the park is suitable for a young kid.  And the boardwalk was a lot less rowdy at night than a place like Seaside Heights or Wildwood.

943806054_ParkOverview.thumb.JPG.593a20c59ff1156cfe728353590266fa.JPG

569704111_KiddieRides.thumb.JPG.1f4510657e15e0661c92d847f1f66d56.JPG

1320266927_AdultRides1.thumb.JPG.d886d3263798d4fd75681076d724dc7d.JPG

Pendolo.thumb.JPG.5967b310d8ff3deca3878228514b8b6e.JPG

But most importantly, you have the world's most juvenile Fun House.  While not technically in the main park, the boardwalk has a Fun House that I believe Jenkinson's owns.  It's just a 2 minute walk from the park.  And it's the reason to visit Jenkinson's if you're a theme park fan.  I had no clue it existed prior to my arrival and it blew me away, both literally and figuratively.

While this fun house doesn't have some of the crazy slides and platforms you'll find on a European fun house, this one is extremely long with two disorienting mirror mazes and several themed rooms.  One of which is a farting room.  Yes, you read that right.  Imagine a room with landmines.  Except the landmines are whoopee cushions.  And you can guess what happens if you step on one.  If I were a kid, I'd totally spend a few minutes jumping up and down to farting noises laughing uncontrollably.  8 out of 10

534909576_FunHouseExterior.thumb.JPG.c12b438c033cac2d2a3c235d3cf816d8.JPG

dfeffe.thumb.jpg.85661bae6ff555ea1eee02e40bb3f97f.jpg

351438620_FunHouseMirrorMaze.thumb.jpg.515a8a8fbd2f196f13619a320060e4c4.jpg

351325587_FunHouseFatLady.thumb.jpg.9ee686751d2756338cecad11fe2b5899.jpg

1060855678_FunHouseMine.thumb.JPG.7053b983e3d14a894b5f7d92e8756f57.JPG

The other appeal was two additional coaster credits.  The "big" coaster was one of the newer SBF Visa spinner layouts that basically copies that of a wacky worm.  And in some ways it's better than the old ones, but in other ways it's worse.

On the bright side, the big drop is quite snappy if you're in the back because of how abrupt it is.  I actually got a pop of airtime, albeit an awkward one since you immediately brake afterwards.  But on the downside, the layout isn't very conducive to spinning.  I think I prefer it to the original SBF spinning layout, but that's only because it's less common.  4 out of 10

1946271689_TidalWaveStation.thumb.JPG.6e11dbd40a94406e0fa62e3548503dfd.JPG

1618741815_TidalWaveOverview.thumb.JPG.869f79de314127998cb763b912eb8f34.JPG

The other coaster is a powered Zamperla in Tornado.  While small, this ride actually had some surprisingly decent laterals for a ride of its size.  It also had 5-6 laps and the operators were really animated every time we'd roll through the station.  3 out of 10

Tornado.thumb.JPG.6aa7bde0e83518d01fd2776bc77f49d3.JPG

I don't think I'll be returning to Jenkinson's anytime soon because of the lack of thrill rides, but it's a cool pit stop if you've never been for the unique fun house and 2 coaster credits.  However, if you have kids, I think this place should be higher up your list as far as Jersey boardwalk parks go.

Casino Pier

Casino Pier could be thought of as a phoenix.  Ravaged by Hurricane Sandy, Casino Pier returned stronger than ever.  And it's now one of the better Jersey boardwalk parks in my opinion.  It has some solid rides and looks really well-kept.

One of the biggest benefits is that the boardwalk at Seaside Heights is always hopping.  And the park feeds off this energy.

1111882267_Boardwalk(Day).thumb.JPG.d34722668fdbbaa411aad3c4a532cd26.JPG

1905763712_ParkEntrance.thumb.JPG.89385bef3ee8c80a87bfa4d56ec1b619.JPG

298421804_Boardwalk(Night).thumb.JPG.4866aeef081c94c992da5af8235d2672.JPG

The star attraction is Hydrus, the park's Gerstlauer EuroFighter.  The most improtant thing is that this coaster operates with just lap bars, which allows you to enjoy the quick transitions without beating your head.  Plus, the lap bars really allow you to expereince the ejector airtime on the drop and hangtime on the inversions.  7 out of 10

1696337453_HydrusCresting.thumb.JPG.f484c0e3fef820fc1f580ff20e44d0aa.JPG

But the ride I was most looking forward to was honestly Centrifuge, the park's indoor scrambler.  Growing up in the Northeast, I've ridden my fair share of indoor scramblers and I love when a park takes a standard flat, shoves it indoors, and gives it a dance club like atmosphere to make an ordinary ride extraordinary.

Centrifuge has booming music and blinding lights to result in a disorienting ride experience.  I definitely prefer Astrosphere at Funtown, but this is right up there with Blizzard and Psycho Drome.  8.5 out of 10

432977245_CentrifugeEntrance.thumb.JPG.210f3378dd75ed0e8af53ddf902203bf.JPG

1599321215_CentrifugeScrambler.thumb.JPG.be13ba3d3a9343db522c9444b69d58df.JPG

Another highlight for me was finally getting the Hot Tamales credit I missed in 2017.  It was a decent kiddie coaster with 5-6 laps. 2 out of 10

686201183_HotTamales.thumb.JPG.94849913b3fcef476e1116e060305549.JPG

The last coaster is Pirate's Hideaway, one of the most objectively awful coaster out there.  However, I find it so comically bad that it's funny.  It starts in the station.  The operators have to manually push the cars.  And the final brake run doesn't actually fully stop the train, so you bump into the other cars in the station to completely stop yourself.

The eggbeater lift is awkward, but would you believe it's not the most awkward part of the ride?  With such a flashy facade and an indoor section, you'd assume this ride would have some pirates theming.  But there's none.  This is just a giant empty warehouse that makes Nickelodeon Universe look like Tokyo DisneySea.  But the violent brake runs and wild laterals on the unbanked turns had me laughing hysterically.  3 out of 10

1628584191_PiratesHideawayExterior.thumb.JPG.2a7d4314a441a293135645913406b290.JPG

381490650_PiratesHideawayLift.thumb.JPG.c1fcbedbcac7e839139002b3862b122c.JPG

2039735407_PiratesHideawayDrop.thumb.JPG.db38141a2f397aabdb785460c10335d7.JPG

1870313465_PiratesHideawayInterior.thumb.JPG.fb06f76f30dd529728b38a8a2f6ba740.JPG

I also made sure to try the park's drop tower, Shore Shot.  As expected, it delivered a fantastic view of the shore.  But it had some solid floater airtime and it offered a double cycle.  6 out of 10

And one thing that made me chuckle is that when the park performed cleaning cycles, they'd do this odd thing where they'd dispatch the ride with the restraints up.  It would raise up to the launch position, but then it would just lower back down to the ground.  

453456736_ShoreShotRestraintsUp.thumb.JPG.da3e6cf5970ef575a566f3316c0c9388.JPG

Last but not least, I also wanted to try Crazy Cabs since I hadn't seen one of these models before.  It felt like a newer version of a tilt-a-whirl and the lights made it quite disorienting.  6 out of 10

2081865311_CrazyCabs.thumb.JPG.bbeda5b0f4f55da43240210957a05119.JPG

Casino Pier is a solid boardwalk park with a good headlining coaster and some nice flats.  That's what I expect from a park like this and it delivered just that.

Paid Beach Access.jpg

14 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

And one thing that made me chuckle is that when the park performed cleaning cycles, they'd do this odd thing where they'd dispatch the ride with the restraints up.  It would raise up to the launch position, but then it would just lower back down to the ground.  

453456736_ShoreShotRestraintsUp.thumb.JPG.da3e6cf5970ef575a566f3316c0c9388.JPG

:omg: :|

How is that tower able to do that? The S&S towers I operated couldn't even do that in maintenance mode.

And since I haven't said it yet; me in the fart room:

8a6659c81814542be189c5d6488db871.gif.276326116abae3c8eb54b39ad49a2795.gif