Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Six Flags Great Adventure- El Toro Marathon + Few B&Ms
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:19 am

None of the pads above the water were free. The new ride was being built in front of the Ferris Wheel and the empty pad is by the drop tower.

mikeykaise wrote:The last time I wast at Indiana Beach I was a kid and my family stayed in a cabin and that was back when Lost Coaster was still a dark ride and the curved drop over water was more towards the end. I probably rode that thing like 20 or 30 times that week we were there. I loved that thing and haven't rode it since the change.

How much theming did the old dark ride have?
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hersheypark & Six Flags Great Adventure

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby mikeykaise » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:44 am

There were a few animatronic animals throughout the cave not a lot, and then the train ending with the bright light and the horn sounding.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:18 am

^ I'm glad the train made it onto the new one at least!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:08 pm

Indiana Caverns

Corydon, Indiana sits halfway between Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World. I've actually stayed in this town in the past, but I was completely unaware Indiana Caverns even existed. That was until they added the Bat Chaser zipline coaster.

Now I personally consider this a roller coaster. While you ride in a harness similar to a traditional zipline, the downhill course has dips, turns, and helices like a roller coaster. The experience feels like a suspended coaster to me. I know not everyone will consider this a credit, but it feels like a roller coaster to me.

Bat Chaser Overview 1.jpg
It looks like a coaster. It smells like a coaster.

Bat Chaser Overview 2.jpg
And it rides like a coaster.

I believe it cost me roughly $13 per ride. There's no pay-one-price option; you buy individual rides on the Bat Chaser. Unlike the zipline coaster in Gatlinburg where you ride up a lift hill, you have to climb a 50 foot tower to ride Bat Chaser much like you do for a water slide.

I rode a few of these zipline coasters in Dubai, but Bat Chaser had a major disadvantage compared to those ones. While the ones in Dubai allowed you to get a running start, you are slowly pushed over the edge on Bat Chaser. So you really crawl until you hit that first helix.

By the end of the helix, you start swinging around a bit. You then round this giant turn, but it's too gradual to produce any wild swinging. After this turn, you've gained some decent speed, but you then hit the brakes...which are ironically the wildest part of the ride by far. When you hit the brakes, you start swinging around uncontrollably. I attached my POV* down below so you can see just how crazy the spinning gets on the brake run.

Ultimately, Bat Chaser is a unique experience, but it's not a particularly thrilling or exciting one due to the lack of speed. The only exciting part sadly enough is the brake run. 5 out of 10

Beyond Bat Chaser, Indiana Caverns has some escape rooms and as the name suggests, some cave tours. But I only stopped there for Bat Chaser on the way back to Kentucky Kingdom. I'd say Indiana Caverns is worth the pit stop if you've never been on a zipline coaster, but there are better versions out there in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

Park Sign.jpg
I can't believe Indiana Jones ripped the text off of this small place in Indiana. Or wait, maybe I have that backwards.

* Indiana Caverns allows secured Go Pros on Bat Chaser. This was filmed with their permission.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby mikeykaise » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:25 am

Looks like fun, the best cave in southern Indiana is Squire Boone Caverns. It's been a long time since I've been there but if I remember right they have a pioneer village as well as a really nice cave.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:48 am

Hmm, based on your video, I agree with you--an interesting experience, but that's about it.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:54 am

mikeykaise wrote:Looks like fun, the best cave in southern Indiana is Squire Boone Caverns. It's been a long time since I've been there but if I remember right they have a pioneer village as well as a really nice cave.

The only cave tour I've ever done is the one at Silver Dollar City and I really enjoyed it.

cfc wrote:Hmm, based on your video, I agree with you--an interesting experience, but that's about it.

It's odd the brake run is the wildest part.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:17 pm

Cedar Point

Cedar Point was a fundamentally different park for me to visit in 2020. Whenever I've visited Cedar Point in the past, I've always had Fast Lane and I've always made sure to avoid it on a weekend.

But this year, I could do neither of those things. Fast Lane was not being sold and the park had switched to weekend only operation by the time I visited the park. So I went into this visit knowing I wouldn't get a large quantity of rides. I just wanted high quality rides.

Park Entrance (Night).JPG
An entrance fit for a thrill park.

Skyline (Day).JPG
Cedar Point's skyline is so incredible that even a small subsection of it looks impressive on its own.

I arrived the night before and stayed at Hotel Breakers. Since I woke up well before the park opened at 11, I watched the sunset on the boardwalk and walked along the perimeter of the park. One area I didn't realize was public access before this visit was the road that went back to Magnum's turnaround, so I definitely made sure to take a stroll back there.

Hotel Breakers (Sunrise).JPG
No better way to start a visit to Cedar Point!

Sunrise.JPG
I don't usually wake up for sunrise, but it worked out on this trip.

Magnum Turnaround 1.JPG
I never knew this was a public access road.

Wicked Twister Testing 1.JPG
The time was 7:30 am. This was 3.5 hours before opening. Wicked Twister was already testing.

GateKeeper 1st Half.JPG
GateKeeper looks absolutely massive from the front of the park even though it's not even one of the park's 5-6 tallest coasters.

GateKeeper Keyhole 2.JPG
Check out that clearance!

I was on the fence whether or not to stay at Breakers. It seemed as pricey as usual, but in 2020 there was no early entry. However, there was one major benefit for resort guests; they were the only ones who could use the Magnum gate this year. This gave me a major advantage to ride Steel Vengeance.

Before my visit, I was on the fence whether it made sense to get all the access passes first or to guarantee a ride on Steel Vengeance. I went with the latter and it worked out incredibly well. The gates opened around 10:30, roughly a half hour before opening, and I was among the first riders on Steel Vengeance since it opened shortly before the posted opening time.

Steel Vengeance Outward Bank.JPG
I don't miss Mean Streak one bit.

Steel Vengeance is still my favorite steel coaster. The ride is relentless and seemingly never-ending. It starts with one of the more underrated drops out there and ever subsequent hill gives some incredible ejector airtime and all four inversions give wonderful hangtime. The sheer length of this coaster and the power of the airtime makes it one of the most enjoyable endurance tests in the world. 10 out of 10

Steel Vengeance Inversions.jpg
You could say this coaster has a mean streak.

After my ride on Steel Vengeance, I made a loop to get the access passes. I decided to forego the Steel Vengeance one initially since the queue for the access pass stretched back to the Gemini midway. Instead, I got ones for Maverick (12-1), Millennium Force (1-2), and Top Thrill Dragster (2-3) with hardly any wait. I then doubled back to Steel Vengeance and there were still a few access passes left, so I got one for 3-4.

I figured the standby queue wouldn't possibly be open for Steel Vengeance, but much to my amazement it was. So I got two additional rides on this monstrous steel coaster before the access passes started, waiting no more than 15 minutes for either ride. I know the access passes are a bit controversial, but if I can ride Steel Vengeance in a standby line 3 times in an hour, sign me up!

Steel Vengeance Cresting.jpg
A lot of people seem to brush over Vengeance's drop, but that really is an amazing drop.

I then redeemed my Maverick access pass and had to wait just over an hour. I got hit by two length cleaning cycles on Maverick combined with the ride's woefully low capacity. But at least I had the first group of access passes. When I waited, the queue started in the enclosed portion. Later in the day, the queue spilled out onto the midway and was estimated to be in excess of 2 hours!

I don't seem to love Maverick as much as most enthusiasts, but I still really love this coaster. It's a fast-paced jack-of-all-trades with an amazing first drop, some awesome ejector airtime, some snappy Stengel dives, some decent inversions, and an awesome launch. 9 out of 10

Maverick Corkscrew.jpg
The corkscrews are arguably the worst part of the ride and they're still decent.

Up next was Millennium Force, which also had a return line that took roughly an hour. This was another return line that reached 2 hours later in the day. While most rides at Cedar Point were doing first-come, first-served seating, Millennium Force was allowing up to three groups to wait for the front row. So I made darn sure to take advantage of the shortest station wait I've ever seen for the original giga coaster's front row.

Millennium Force is unequivocally a front row ride for me. That is where you need to sit to fully appreciate this coaster's speed. Outside of the epic first drop and extremely forceful overbank, no one element on Millennium Force stands out. Rather, it just feels like one continuous element as your rocket around Millennium Island, through the tunnels, and past the queue line. 10 out of 10

Millennium Force Overview.JPG
I know people jokingly call this coaster Millennium Forceless, but that first overbank causes me to greyout like the first turn on Intimidator 305.

Millennium Force Camelback (Back).JPG
Millennium may not have the airtime of Expedition GeForce or SFNE's Superman, but it does offer some solid airtime.

Top Thrill Dragster had a very short return time, as I got on the ride in less than 10 minutes. And I know I got very lucky. The ride had lots of fits later in the day and a much longer return time, presumably when everyone flooded the ride to redeem their access passes after it had been closed during their windows.

I was unable to get the front row which was a bummer, but I gained a new appreciation for Top Thrill Dragster's drop in the back row. I don't remember it having the airtime that it provided on past visits. And per usual, the launch took my breath away. There's something about staring at a 420 foot tower that always gets me amped up. 9 out of 10

Top Thrill Dragster Top Hat.JPG
Still haven't gotten a rollback. Maybe one day.

I then redeemed my Steel Vengeance access pass and had another modest wait that took roughly 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, the access pass line for the 3:30 distribution was again stretched back to the Gemini midway. I was ever so grateful I didn't have to wait in that line since I suspect not everyone would get one.

Steel Vengeance Drop.jpg
4 rides on Steel Vengeance without Fast Lane alone made the day a success.

At this point, you may be wondering about the rides that weren't on access passes. Well, most of those rides had insane queue lines. All the B&Ms had waits in the 90-120 minute range. And even rides that I've never seen with a queue had crazy waits. Pipe Scream, Gemini, Blue Streak, and Cedar Creek Mine Ride also had hour waits.

But the one non-access pass ride I could not skip was Magnum XL-200. I rode this one in the late afternoon and only had to wait 45 minutes, which I thought was more than fair. I ended up with the back row and Magnum did its usual. The first half had some breathtaking views; the turnaround tried to kill me; and the return leg offered some of the strongest ejector airtime of any coaster.

Magnum may not be a glass smooth experience like most hyper coasters, but the ride's unrefined nature gives it character. 8.5 out of 10

Point Plummet.JPG
Magnum's start looks profiled correctly.

Magnum Triangle Hill.JPG
But the triangular airtime hills look like engineering mistakes and I love them for that.

By the end of the day, I realized I had never set foot in the front half of the park. And that didn't really bother me given the circumstances. I got at least one ride on the major Intamins plus multiple rides on Steel Vengeance.

However, I made sure to exit out the front of the park and return to Breakers via the Midway so I could at least see the front half of the park on my way out.

Millennium Force Lift (Sunset 1).JPG
Millennium Force is such an icon.

Raptor (Sunset).JPG
I love the solid colored LED lights Cedar Fair puts on a lot of their coasters.

Valravn Overview (Sunset).JPG
I actually enjoy Valravn, but not enough to wait 2 hours for it.

I can't really recommend Cedar Point for newcomers in 2020. There is absolutely no way to do everything in one day unless you were lucky enough to buy Fast Lane before the pandemic. However, if you want to marathon one ride, it's very possible to get at least one guaranteed ride with the access passes and ride it before the first return time.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:26 pm

Great report! You got far luckier than I did when I went last weekend with the access passes. We didn't stay on-site (we rented a house on Airbnb that was about 3/4 of a mile from the causeway), so we had to run with the masses to get the access passes and by the time we got to Steel Vengeance, they had already shut the queue to standby.

The access pass lines for Steel Vengeance are insane and it was exactly the same when I was there, all the way back to Gemini. A ride op at Millennium Force told us that Steel Vengeance has the least number of access passes available of any of the coasters. Seeing as we got the very last 3 access passes for Maverick for the 3pm-4pm return time slot with less than 1/3 as many people in line there, I don't see how people toward the back of the line got any.

Maverick was the same when we were there, it was pretty much constantly a posted 2-hour line and was backed up right to or just outside the entrance. Oddly, Millennium Force only once had a line in the first set of switchbacks when we were there, and countless other times when we walked by it was only halfway up the ramp. It's posted wait time never went beyond 30 minutes.

One thing I'll give the park credit for is the fact that Top Thrill Dragster was up and running almost 100% of the time while we were there and only went down for wind and rain. I've never, ever had a visit to Cedar Point with it running so consistently and it was the only thing we got 3 rides on over the course of the weekend.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby grsupercity » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:04 am

Nice report. Sounds like you got lucky and got to get some good rides in!
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!