Photo TR: NC to NYC Park Extravaganza

Coney Island- the last stop
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Photo TR: NC to NYC Park Extravaganza

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:50 pm

At the end of July/early August, I was fortunate to be part of Robb & Elissa's USA 2016 trip. The trip was absolutely amazing and I'll have photos to share from the parks on that trip.

Carowinds- Page 1
Six Flags Over Georgia- Page 1
Pigeon Forge- Page 2
Dollywood- Page 2
Gatlinburg- Page 2
Kentucky Kingdom- Page 3
Kings Island- Page 3
Cedar Point- Page 3
Kennywood- Page 3
Knoebels- Page 4
Dorney Park- Page 4
Six Flags Great Adventure- Page 4
Coney Island- Page 5

Carowinds
Before the trip began, I went on a mini trip myself to two of the big thrill parks in the South in Carowinds and Six Flags Over Georgia. Carowinds was my seventh Cedar Fair park. Like the other Cedar Fair parks I've been to, Carowinds was a very clean and had extremely efficient operations. The two big B&Ms (Fury & Intimidator) each ran 3 trains and all of the other coasters except for the junior coasters ran two trains. I thought the parks top coasters were amazing, but the quality level dropped off fairly quickly after Nighthawk. I ended up grabbing a FastLane Plus since I don't foresee another visit to the park anytime in the future and it got me on everything extremely quickly, especially Fury. Some reviews of the rides:

Fury 325- This is my new favorite coaster. Fury had the relentless speed of Millennium Force, but the coaster included more moments of air-time, especially on the return leg. The first drop was incredible and sustained the air time the entire way down. The air-time over the second half was much stronger than your usual B&M floater air as I really felt like Fury was trying to tear me from the ride. I rode this 10 times in basically every seat, but my favorite was the back for that first drop. 10 out of 10

Intimidator- This was the worst B&M hyper that I had been on to this point, but I still found the ride really fun. Intimidator had plenty of tall drops, but the ride crawled over the crests of the hills more than Apollo, Nitro, or Behemoth. The back had plenty of floater air time and the front had good air time as well. This is a nice compliment to Fury, which is non-stop intensity. 9 out of 10

Afterburn- I was expecting big things from this B&M invert and it delivered. The ride had great pacing, as the only slow point was the camelback hill right before the corkscrew. The first half has some forceful inversions with my favorites being the fast zero-G roll and the batwing. The final corkscrew is incredibly snappy, so brace yourself. Other than that, the ride runs very smooth. 9 out of 10

Nighthawk- The first Vekoma flyer is bumpier than the other one I had been on (Batwing), but seemed a little faster. The vertical loop and barrel rolls were very intense, but the transitions from lying to flying were pretty bumpy. I prefer the layouts of the Vekoma flyers to the B&M counterparts, but the B&M flyers are better rides because of the restraints and smoothness. 8 out of 10

Hurler- I had ridden Kings Dominion's Hurler, so I had an idea what to expect. My ride in the front was pretty solid, but the back seat ride was considerably bumpier and not something I'd want to experience again. The ride was smooth other than the low-to-the-ground turns. There were pops of air scattered across the bunny hills too. 6 out of 10

Carolina Cyclone- One of the old Arrow loopers, Carolina Cyclone's first drop had a good burst of ejector air in the back and the following two vertical loops were intense. The second half consisted of jerky transitions into the corkscrews and helix. 5 out of 10

Carolina Goldrusher- I liked the landscaping around this mine train, but the transitions seemed jerkier than your average mine train. 5 out of 10

Ricochet- Good wild mouse. Not too much braking on the top turns and the speed carried over to the final drops. The Mack wild mice are my favorites. 6 out of 10

Carolina Cobra- The new trains were definitely an improvement for this boomerang. I could see spots during the cobra roll where my head would have bashed the normal restraints. Without having to worry about my head being battered, I was able to enjoy the two drops more. 6 out of 10

Woodstock Express- This is considerably better than your average junior coaster. The ride has a pop of air or two and is still a pretty smooth ride despite its age. 5 out of 10

Vortex- Ouch. The stand-up restraints were really tricky to adjust and right before my rides the restraints shifted upwards on me. This made the forces on my feet quite uncomfortable combined with a few moments of headbanging. I really hope this ride gets a floorless conversion down the road like Rougarou and Patriot. 2 out of 10

Flying Ace Aerial Chase- This is the perfect ride to prepare young kids for the torture of an adult SLC. The restraints are unforgiving going around the turns and manage to produce headbanging on a kids coaster. 2 out of 10

Outside of the coasters, I really enjoyed the drop tower (like all Intamin towers), Windseeker (love the views, better than the star flyers in my opinion), the Plants vs. Zombies shooting simulator ride, and the Woodstock Gliders flying scooters. On the latter one, the operator was encouraging snapping and held a competition who could get their vehicle the highest!

One note to anyone who stays at a hotel near the park without a car, the park is located on a highway and there's no crosswalk for pedestrians. Unless you stay at the Comfort Inn on the side of the park, you'll either need an Uber/taxi or play real life Crossy Road.
Intimidator (Parking Lot).JPG
My view walking into the parking lot! Yes I played real life Crossy Road.
Afterburn Batwing.JPG
Hello B&M invert. Once I get through this gate I'm riding you first.
Afterburn Corkscrew.JPG
Afterburn had a great layout and good forces. One of the better inverts.
Afterburn Zero-G Roll.JPG
Little do those riders know that they are about to be rammed by a plane.
Carolina Cyclone.JPG
These riders very well know they are about to be rammed by the coaster.
Hurler.JPG
These riders too.
Drop Tower.JPG
Carowinds could escape the Flight Deck name, but not Drop Tower. Good ride regardless of the name.
Carolina Skytower.JPG
Let's get some aerial views of the park. I love observation towers.
Fury 325 Lift Hill.JPG
Fury 325 is my new favorite coaster! A rush from start to finish with plenty of airtime.
Fury 325 Drop.JPG
Look at that first drop. There's no sexier sight in the park.
Fury 325 Turnaround.JPG
I'm not used to elements like this on a B&M coaster.
Fury 325 Entrance Maneuvers.JPG
The ride's layout interacts well with the front entrance.
Fury 325 Tunnel Drop.JPG
This is what you see entering or exiting the park. My camera can't handle Fury.
Intimidator Aerial.JPG
Intimidator isn't quite as intimidating as it's big brother across the park. Still a fun ride though.
Nighthawk Barrel Roll (Aerial).JPG
Nighthawk may have been relocated, but it fits in very well at the park and the layout looks designed for it.
Nighthawk Loop.JPG
If only the Vekoma and B&M flyers could crossbreed.
Nighthawk Barrel Roll (Ground).JPG
Nighthawk was very intense, but was quite bumpy in spots.
Intimidator.JPG
Intimidator from the ground.
Vortex.JPG
Please have a floorless conversion sometime in the future.
Woodstock Gliders.JPG
I can't believe the park encouraged snapping. They held a contest to get higher and I won. I also scared parents out of line with my snapping.
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare.JPG
This was the sleeper hit of the park for me. The ride, like the game, sounds ridiculous, but it's so much fun!
State Line.JPG
For some reason this photo looks boring without Elissa.
Windseeker (Night).JPG
Bright lights.
Max.JPG
Too bad I won this dog. I really wanted the long black weenie...dog.
Fury 325.JPG
Goodbye Fury. I will definitely be back to ride you again someday.
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:25 pm.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Re: Photo TR: NC to NYC Park Extravaganza

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:52 am

Awesome report! Carowinds is one of the most awesomely landscaped parks I've ever been to, and it's got two of the best B&M's I've ever been on (Fury and Afterburn). Plus, a contest for cable snapping? You're on! :)
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby TBpony414 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:06 pm

We had the best flyer operator ever at Carowinds as well! There was some crazy snapping going on and it was a super fun time! Can you tell me why you liked Plants vs. Zombies? We got off it and looked at each other thinking was an enormous waste of our time. I don't know what we were expecting but it was just weird, there were no real rules other than shoot at the screens but it was so fast paced with no lasers so we were like, da fuq? I wanted to like it. Sell it to me!

We often ride Boo Blasters several times at Kings Dominion but our ride on it at Carowinds was disappointing as more than 50% of the targets weren't lit up or working. Small complaints really when you have that awesome air conditioned food hall with excellent food, and oh yeah, FURY!!!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:39 am

TheCoasterKid211 wrote:Awesome report! Carowinds is one of the most awesomely landscaped parks I've ever been to, and it's got two of the best B&M's I've ever been on (Fury and Afterburn). Plus, a contest for cable snapping? You're on! :)

I was shocked the operator was encouraging me to go higher after I snapped, but it was a welcome change.

TBpony414 wrote:We had the best flyer operator ever at Carowinds as well! There was some crazy snapping going on and it was a super fun time! Can you tell me why you liked Plants vs. Zombies? We got off it and looked at each other thinking was an enormous waste of our time. I don't know what we were expecting but it was just weird, there were no real rules other than shoot at the screens but it was so fast paced with no lasers so we were like, da fuq? I wanted to like it. Sell it to me!

We often ride Boo Blasters several times at Kings Dominion but our ride on it at Carowinds was disappointing as more than 50% of the targets weren't lit up or working. Small complaints really when you have that awesome air conditioned food hall with excellent food, and oh yeah, FURY!!!

I've done a few of the shooters where you are on a motion base while shooting at a screen with 3D glasses, and I personally enjoy them. I prefer a ride with well done physical targets, but I find these rides don't always have good shot feedback so I can't figure out where I was aiming. Plants vs. Zombies had good shot feedback with the on-screen marker and there was plenty to shoot at. I also liked the competitive aspect. I also did ride Boo Blasters at Carowinds, but I ran into the lack of feedback. I do like the one at Kings Dominion though.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325

Postby coasterbill » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:41 am

Great report! I can't wait to see more.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:00 pm

Six Flags Over Georgia

The second stop of my trip before meeting up with Robb & Elissa was Six Flags Over Georgia. This was my seventh Six Flags park and it was one of the better ones I've been to. Despite the familiar feel of Six Flags (usual food stands, corporate partnerships, faded paint, etc), Six Flags Over Georgia also felt different since it was very well shaded. The park had an extremely odd layout that included a random hill in the middle of the park, a steep hill to the Gotham City area, and tunnels between areas.

The dispatch times were actually pretty quick at this one with the exception of the VR disaster known as Dare Devil Dive (more on that later). My biggest problem during the visit was the frequent breakdowns and the park's rain policy. I was at the park for two days. On the first day, Goliath got stuck on the lift hill and then closed for the remainder of the day. On the second day, Superman stopped on the lift with me on it due to one rider's ankle restraints not being closed, and this was after a 20 minute breakdown right before that. Each train had random seats locked closed, including 2 in the front seat of one train, which was making life difficult for the grouper.

As for the park's rain policy, I was a bit confused by it. On the first day, all of the roller coasters closed due to inclement weather. I was shocked since there were clear skies. I checked my phone's weather app and couldn't see any severe weather warnings for the area either. The one benefit of this is that Dare Devil Dive's line cleared out so I was able to ride it without buying a Flash Pass and paying for the upcharge fee to ride. On the second day, I had Mind Bender close twice while I was waiting in line when it started to sprinkle. Later that night, a tremendous downpour erupted which shut the park's rides down for the rest of the night (this was justified).

I really liked the park's coaster collection since Goliath is a great anchor and they had a diverse mix of coasters supporting it. The park also had the best non-Tower of Terror drop tower I've been on in Acrophobia. I didn't think the tilting seats would add too much, but they really elevated this tower. Stopping mere moments before the ground is quite the rush and the ride also comes to a smooth stop. I also liked Monster Mansion a lot and that's another example of something that felt out of place at a Six Flags park, but wa a welcome change. Onto the coaster reviews!

Goliath- Thankfully this reopened on the second day I was at the park. Goliath is my favorite B&M hyper by a long shot now. While most of the B&M hypers that I've been on slowly crest the hills, Goliath really flew over the hills. This made the usually abundant airtime even more intense. I particularly loved how the first two drops are similarly sized and gigantic. The helix at the far end of the ride was also very intense and caused me to grey out a bit on each of my rides. 10 out of 10

Superman Ultimate Flight- The original Superman was much better than the clone I've ridden in New Jersey. I didn't realize this Superman was a terrain coaster and my first ride at night was a very pleasant surprise. The pretzel loop had its trademark intensity as expected and the following turns were quite thrilling since they hugged the terrain. 9 out of 10

Batman the Ride- Intense as always. I really liked the oversized Batman logo in the load station and the ride was running fast and smooth. There was no headbanging in the course and the rapid-fire succession of inversions/turns still provides one of the most intense coaster rides anywhere. 9 out of 10

Mind Bender- This is the perfect Schwarzkopf coaster. The drops each give pops of air towards the back of the train and the two vertical loops are very forceful. The ride uses the park's setting very well and is incredibly rerideable. 9 out of 10

Georgia Cyclone- My front seat ride was enjoyable- bumpy with some pops of air. My back seat rides were great. Because of how steep the drops were, the drops provided major ejector air. There were some rough patches on the turns, especially during the ride's second half, but it's definitely tolerable. 8 out of 10

Georgia Scorcher- This was B&M's last stand-up and I think they were onto something. The ride is compact like their early stand-ups, but instead of a rough ride, Georgia Scorcher was perfectly smooth. I really liked the pacing on the ride and the use of the banked turns between elements. While it lacks the height of Riddler's or Green Lantern, this is my new favorite stand-up. 8 out of 10

Dare Devil Dive- VR is a disaster on this ride. I've seen how much VR can ruin the dispatches for a coaster with SFNE's Superman, but Dare Devil Dive hit a new low as I estimated dispatches at 5 minutes, which gives the ride a disturbingly low hourly capacity of 72 riders. As for the ride, it was fun. I loved the lack of OSTRs since they can be painful on the transitions on the other EuroFighters. This one didn't have the bite of the other EuroFighters. The trim on the first drop made the usual ejector air mild floater and the inversions were taken more slowly than I expected. Fun, smooth ride, but the VR situation made this a one and done. 7 out of 10

Blue Hawk- I always heard terrible things about Ninja. The new trains on Blue Hawk made a world of a difference since they eliminated the headbanging. I could see how this was a nightmare before the new trains since my head shook through several of the turns and inversions. With the new trains, I found the coaster enjoyable. The ride had a unique layout for a looper and the inversions had strong forces. 7 out of 10

Great American Scream Machine- This is a very photogenic coaster with its classic paint job. The ride has some good speed and airtime, but it's pretty bumpy. 6 out of 10

Dahlonega Mine Train- I enjoyed this mine train more than I expected. The layout is pretty open and the first two hills aren't particularly tall, but the ride is comfortable. The final drop is pretty tall for this style of ride and builds up some good speed going into the tunnel. 6 out of 10

Joker Funhouse Coaster- I didn't realize this one had a custom layout, but I found it to be one of the better junior coasters. The drops had some good zip on them and I liked that they even included a tunnel on this one. It would have been nice to get multiple laps per ride on this one, but the line was pretty long for a junior coaster (15-20 minutes).
Park Entrance.JPG
Fingers crossed I'll have a Six Flags day.
Monster Mansion.JPG
A dark ride? I must be dreaming. This doesn't feel right at Six Flags, but it's surprisingly well done.
Raging River.JPG
Shade too? I must not be at a Six Flags park.
Batman the Ride.JPG
Never mind, I see the logo. I must be at a Six Flags.
Joker Chaos Coaster.JPG
Whoops I "forgot" my review of this coaster. It's almost as if it isn't one. I like the ride's look though and it seemed popular.
Mind Bender Entrance.JPG
The whole Gotham City area of the park looked really nice.
Mind Bender Loop 1.JPG
Schwarzkopf goodness.
Mind Bender Helix.JPG
Mind Bender is a great ride and has an equally great setting.
Dare Devil Dive.JPG
This coaster should not have VR. It's a smooth, fun coaster, but it would be great if more than 72 riders per hour could experience it.
Goliath First Drop.JPG
Goliath was an outstanding B&M hyper, my new favorite. The ride absolutely flew over the hills and delivered strong airtime.
Goliath Bunny Hill.JPG
The airtime is so intense, all of the riders were ejected...or the ride broke down and was cycling. I'll go with the second.
Georgia Scorcher.JPG
This is the best stand-up I've been on. I could have reridden it, which I can't say about other stand-ups.
Georgia Cyclone.JPG
The back seat riders are about to go sky high. Georgia Cyclone is one intense woody in the back.
Great American Scream Machine Bunny Hills.JPG
The park's other woody looks nicer, but was really bumpy. The ride maintained its speed the whole way and had airtime, so I guess that makes up for it.
Blue Hawk.JPG
Thank you for not having the old OSTRs. This was actually fun.
Riverview Carousel.JPG
Usually parks like to place taller rides on hills- drop towers, ferris wheels, etc. Because Six Flags is different, they put the carousel atop the hill.
Superman- Ultimate Flight.JPG
See how close Superman comes to the terrain? This is something you don't get on clones.
2017 Construction.JPG
Hmmm I wonder what's behind the wall.
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:46 pm.

I donut like this custom title :(

Postby yay101 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:08 am

Great trip report! Actually I think the riders on Goliath were all ejected from the seat :lmao: .

I'm surprised to hear Georgia Scorcher was actually re-rideable as none of the B&M standups I have ridden (Iron Wolf and Mantis) were more or less a one and done thing. I also hope that Dare Devil Dive gets rid of VR. A ride with capacity of 72 riders per hour should not even exist.
Favourite Coaster: SkyRush
Other Favourites: Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, Blue Streak (CP), Voyage, Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, Phoenix, Goliath (SFGAm), Storm Runner, Raptor (CP), and Magnum XL-200

KD's Shockwave>KD's Delirium

If Magnum XL-200 dies we riot

May the force of Hello Kitty be with you

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 am

Yay more love for my Six Flags! I haven't been back in a couple of years, and I miss Goliath! I agree it's also my favorite B&M hyper as well as my all time favorite hyper coaster. Also Mind Bender is my favorite in the park. I could seriously stay on it all day. I've always appreciated how much of the original park features (the vine covered walkways, buildings, attractions etc.) remain in the park to this day. It's such a beautiful park being one of the original Six Flags parks.

That being said, boy do they need help with ride maintenance LOL. Funny story about Superman since you brought it up. There was one time I was in line for the ride a few years ago. They closed the ride for a few minutes to put a second train on, so the train rolls out of storage, stops at the block before the station, and one of the cars DISLODGES FROM ITS FLYING POSITION. I'm pretty sure I was the only one in line who noticed. That is until they tried to roll it into the station and the dislodged car tried to line up with its guide rail, making a loud BANG in the process. It wasn't until then that the crew saw what was going on, and they put the train back in storage and continued one train ops. A complete waste of time for guests in line and a horrible reminder of how bad Six Flags maintenance can be. :lol:

Anyways, glad you enjoyed yourself!

Postby prozach626 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:43 am

Great reports! Fury really is awesome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, Carowinds doesn't have that many re rideable attractions, but strangely that's what I really like about the park. At Cedar Point I found it distracting from my overall enjoyable experience, because I felt like I had too many things to break up my time. At Carowinds, I love how you there really are only a few things you want to do, which makes it a perfect one day park. This would probably suck at a lot of other parks, but there are so many nice looking areas tailor made for drinking beer and relaxing that I can go from Fury to Afterburn to Intimidator in a totally relaxed and 'chill' state of mind. I don't have to worry about fitting in all of their top shelf attractions, because they just aren't there. And what IS there is completely worth endless rerides. Stops at various other attractions like Boo Blasters, the Mine Train, etc. are only done when it is completely convenient. It's a park that somehow pulls off a small park feel with several massive coaster gems. I love this park.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:12 pm

yay101 wrote:Great trip report! Actually I think the riders on Goliath were all ejected from the seat :lmao: .

I'm surprised to hear Georgia Scorcher was actually re-rideable as none of the B&M standups I have ridden (Iron Wolf and Mantis) were more or less a one and done thing. I also hope that Dare Devil Dive gets rid of VR. A ride with capacity of 72 riders per hour should not even exist.

Georgia Scorcher didn't have a single rough moment. Riddler's and Green Lantern are relatively smooth (a rough transition here and there), but their intensity is such that my legs couldn't take consecutive rides. Both Vortex stand-ups and Apocalypse are pretty rough.

SFOGdude25 wrote:Yay more love for my Six Flags! I haven't been back in a couple of years, and I miss Goliath! I agree it's also my favorite B&M hyper as well as my all time favorite hyper coaster. Also Mind Bender is my favorite in the park. I could seriously stay on it all day. I've always appreciated how much of the original park features (the vine covered walkways, buildings, attractions etc.) remain in the park to this day. It's such a beautiful park being one of the original Six Flags parks.

That being said, boy do they need help with ride maintenance LOL. Funny story about Superman since you brought it up. There was one time I was in line for the ride a few years ago. They closed the ride for a few minutes to put a second train on, so the train rolls out of storage, stops at the block before the station, and one of the cars DISLODGES FROM ITS FLYING POSITION. I'm pretty sure I was the only one in line who noticed. That is until they tried to roll it into the station and the dislodged car tried to line up with its guide rail, making a loud BANG in the process. It wasn't until then that the crew saw what was going on, and they put the train back in storage and continued one train ops. A complete waste of time for guests in line and a horrible reminder of how bad Six Flags maintenance can be. :lol:

Anyways, glad you enjoyed yourself!

The vine covered walkways were a really nice touch. The only other park I've seen one at was Great America out in California. The park only really felt like a Six Flags park in the back area near Superman, the DC kids area, and near Goliath/Dare Devil Dive.

The maintenance was to be expected since I've been to enough Six Flags parks. It's like when you go to Six Flags New England and Goliath's cable snaps or the big three Intamin rides at Great Adventure are all closed when you arrive.

prozach626 wrote:Great reports! Fury really is awesome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, Carowinds doesn't have that many re rideable attractions, but strangely that's what I really like about the park. At Cedar Point I found it distracting from my overall enjoyable experience, because I felt like I had too many things to break up my time. At Carowinds, I love how you there really are only a few things you want to do, which makes it a perfect one day park. This would probably suck at a lot of other parks, but there are so many nice looking areas tailor made for drinking beer and relaxing that I can go from Fury to Afterburn to Intimidator in a totally relaxed and 'chill' state of mind. I don't have to worry about fitting in all of their top shelf attractions, because they just aren't there. And what IS there is completely worth endless rerides. Stops at various other attractions like Boo Blasters, the Mine Train, etc. are only done when it is completely convenient. It's a park that somehow pulls off a small park feel with several massive coaster gems. I love this park.

I wish I had two days at Carowinds, but unfortunately due to my travel arrangements it worked out I had two days at Six Flags instead. I personally would rather have a park filled with things I want to constantly reride since it adds more variety to the day and encourages me to return sooner. I really liked how Carowinds spread their anchor attractions out and filled in the areas between them. I had plenty to do walking between them.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!