Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom- Joker, Medusa, and Animals
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby jlp94 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 am

Great reports. Glad to hear that the new Fun Spot coaster doesn't totally suck and that Hagrid's is so good as well. I share your opinions on Mine Blower, Hulk and HRRR. All great rides!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:24 am

Thanks! I agree Mine Blower and Rockit are two rides that don't as much praise as they should.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Belmont Park & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:05 pm

Disneyland

I own season passes to most of the major park chains, but the most surprising season pass that I own may very well be Disneyland considering I live almost 3,000 miles away. But when I realized I'd be on the west coast roughly every quarter for work (well pre-coronavirus), I could justify the cost of the flex passport.

There were two new things for me on this particular trip- Star Wars Rise of the Resistance and the Magic Happens parade.

I had already ridden Star Wars Rise of the Resistance in Orlando, so I was familiar with the ride and process to get an early boarding pass. On a few of my visits, I happened to snag the first boarding group of the day!

Line to Enter Park.jpg
Social distancing wasn't yet a thing in late February.

Rise of the Resistance Group 1.png
I didn't know they actually used Group 1!

One of the days, we had a boarding group in the mid-60s and Rise of the Resistance was having an absolutely awful day. Every time we would walk over to the ride, it would breakdown. Eventually we were able to catch it after an extended afternoon closure and much to my shock, all the effects were running.

I already posted a detailed review of the ride in the Hollywood Studios report (Here), so go there if you want the spoilers. But from a high level, this is quite simply the world's best themed dark ride and Disney's crowning achievement. The level of immersion is incredible.

Rise of the Resistance Entrance.JPG
The Resistance were having some issues processing recruits. I blame the Jawas.

We ended up seeing the Magic Happens parade on its second day and lucked into a great spot behind a trash can near It's a Small World. We also purposefully planned to see the parade at night and we were quite pleased with our decision once we saw how colorful the floats were.

The parade was excellent. I loved the float designs. The music was catchy. And the walkaround characters interacted with guests in the front row.

Mickey.PNG
Mickey would totally beat Harry Potter in a duel.

I also rediscovered my love of Fantasmic. On my past visits, I've been crammed shoulder to shoulder in the FastPass so I haven't had the best vantage point. This time I realized I could get a better spot using Standby if I waited for the second show. I especially loved this standing spot to the left of the dining area where you had a clear view of the left water screen (which was far clearer than the middle screen) and a front row view of the boats.

Fantasmic was already my favorite theme park show, but I realized just how amazing the visuals were when I had a front row view. It's the perfect way to end a visit with that catchy soundtrack, the flashy effects, and all the characters.

Mickey Sparklers 2.PNG
Mickey blows his load.

Snake.PNG
Fantasmic has more colors than a rainbow.

Mickey vs Dragon.PNG
Mouse versus dragon. Who will win?

Mickey Kills Dragon.PNG
Avada Kedavra!

Steamboat Willie.PNG
I've never had such a clear view of the boat.

One of the other highlights was marathoning Splash Mountain without getting off. I always wondered if Disney would allow rerides, but the answer is yes there's absolutely no one in line. And that was the case for Splash Mountain on a cold, rainy night when temperatures dropped into the 40s.

Splash Mountain Top.JPG
Californias still flocked to Splash Mountain by day.

Splash Mountain On-Ride 1.jpg
But Slinky and I had the mountain all to ourselves at night.

Splash Mountain On-Ride 3.jpg
And sometimes I was able to convince a local to join me.

Last but not least, Space Mountain had been running the Hyperspace Mountain overlay in my past few visits. While enjoyable, I prefer the standard Space Mountain. Thankfully it was back in its former glory so I could enjoy the Michael Giacchino score while zooming through space.

Space Mountain Dome.JPG
40 minute posted wait. Let's see how long I actually wait.

Space Mountain On-Ride 6.jpg
Needless to say, I walked right onto Space Mountain.

Space Mountain On-Ride 10.jpg
And I found this weird creature.

Space Mountain On-Ride 9.jpg
But we quickly became friends.

Beyond those highlights, I spent the day riding through the park's other mountains, reliving classic films, and stuffing my face with food.

Omnibus.jpg
New ride credit for me!

Big Thunder Mountain Finale.PNG
Big Thunder's finale was down on my last visit, so it was great to see it running again!

Indiana Jones Mara.PNG
Indiana Jones was celebrating his 25th anniversary of rescuing tourists who can't follow one simple instruction- Don't Look into Mara's Eyes!

Roger Rabbit Portable Hole.PNG
The portable hole is still one of my all-time favorite effects.

Queen of Hearts.PNG
You're not you when you're hungry. Snickers satisfies.

It's a Small World Cock.JPG
It's a Small World teaches young boys how to rub their cock.

Pooh.jpg
Seeing Pooh stuff his face with honey made me hungry.

Monte Cristo and Slinky.jpg
Slinky was begging for the Monte Cristo.

Bengal Barbeque.jpg
I had never been to Bengal Barbecue, but I can definitely say I'll be returning. I love meat on a stick!

Galaxy's Edge.jpg
I escaped the First Order's quarantine and explroed Batuu after dark.

Kylo's Tie Silencer.jpg
It was nice exploring the land without the crowds.

Haunted Mansion Wait TIme.JPG
Haunted Mansion was closed for refurbishment and still scaring guests with this ominous wait time.

Goofy Flips Off Castle.JPG
Goofy looks upon the castle with envy and gives Mickey the one finger salute.

For the past few years, I had considered Tokyo Disneyland my favorite park in the world. But after these visits, I think I now give the edge back to the original Disneyland. Rise of the Resistance and the ability to rapidly accumulate FastPasses with MaxPass tip the scales in my opinion.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby tuxedomask5432 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:02 am

Bengal BBQ is one of the most delicious eating establishments on any Disney property. I did once get a beef skewer that was literally all gristle but they were nice and exchanged it for me.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 am

^ I definitely went there a few times. I couldn't decide if I preferred the bacon wrapped asparagus or steak. Both were delicious!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ I definitely went there a few times. I couldn't decide if I preferred the bacon wrapped asparagus or steak. Both were delicious!

You can't go wrong with meat on a stick--or a Monte Cristo sammich.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:26 am

Agreed! I had the Monte Cristo for the first time in December and will probably be getting one every time I visit going forward.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:15 pm

Disney California Adventure

Disney California Adventure is a park of E-tickets for me. I much prefer the original Disneyland for the quantity and charm, but the top end attractions at this park rival any Disney park in my opinion.

Pixar Pal-Around (Night).JPG
This is one of the most iconic views of any theme park. And for good reason!

Take Guardians of the Galaxy for example. This may be an unpopular opinion, but this is my favorite drop tower in the world. Yes, that means that I'll take this over the Tower of Terrors in Orlando and Tokyo.

I agree that it isn't quite as strong thematically, but the Guardians theme is still very well done and this ride is just pure fun. I love the ride sequence on this version. It's action-packed from start-to-finish and the different songs add quite a bit of reridability in my opinion. 10 out of 10

Guardians Aerial.JPG
Guardians may be an eyesore by day, but the building comes alive at night.

Guardians X-S Tech.jpg
An Alien Encounter reference! X-S Tech.

Guardians On-Ride 5.jpg
Look at Slinky get some serious airtime!

But I think the crowd favorite is Radiator Springs Racers, which is one of the best dark rides in the world. The Cars Land in general is the park's best area. The amount of detail here is stunning and there's a reason it's considered one of the best themed lands in the world. And this coming from someone who wasn't a big fan of the Cars films.

As for Radiator Springs Racers, I'm always left in awe at the scale of the exterior rockwork and interior animatronics. And that visual amazement is accompanied by a high-speed, racing finale that may not have the speed of Test Track, but it has a few coaster-like drops. 10 out of 10

Radiator Springs Racers Waterfall.JPG
If you have a fetish for rocks, you'll cream yourself at Cars Land.

Radiator Springs Racers Hill.JPG
Twisted Colossus looks on with jealousy as it sees a ride successfully race.

Radiator Springs Racers Mater.JPG
Like a good neighbor, Mater is there!

Lines like that are why I dislike the Cars franchise.

Radiator Springs Racers On-Ride 3.jpg
Sometimes you just need to let the dog stick his head out the window.

One of the most iconic rides at the park is the Incredicoaster, which is one of the longest roller coasters in the world. This may be underthemed relative to most Disney coasters, but the ride is a nice change-of-pace from the highly themed experiences you get elsewhere on the resort. It's just an overall solid roller coaster with a decent launch, some airtime, and a forceful vertical loop. 8 out of 10

Incredicoaster Loop.JPG
Pixar Pier's lighting is gorgeous.

Incredicoaster Aerial.JPG
I'd say I got lucky with timing on the Pixar Pal-Around, but Incredicoaster dispatches trains so quickly it would have been more noteworthy if I caught no trains.

Incredicoaster Exterior 2.JPG
Incredicoaster says hello to all those parking at Downtown Disney.

Incredicoaster On-Ride 3.jpg
Mr. Incredble decided to try on my Slinky hat.

Buried underneath the structure of the Incredicoaster is Toy Story Mania, my favorite shooting dark ride in the world. The shooting system is super addictive. And by riding this several times over the course of a week, I was able to find all a few hidden targets to really up my score (and destroy my biceps). 10 out of 10

Toy Story Slinky.jpg
Slinky looks at himself in admiration.

I was also able to see the original World of Color after having not seen this version of the show in years. It had either been down for maintenance or running a holiday overlay. And while the show is enjoyable, I much prefer Fantasmic at the other park.

World of Color.jpg
Classic Disney songs are never a bad thing!

My visit also coincided with the Food and Wine Festival. This had two pluses to the park. The first was the return of Soarin' Over California. And I'm torn which version of Soarin' I prefer. Both versions have their pros and cons, but both have some visually stunning scenes.

The festival also had a ton of "quick" service stands added throughout the park. I say "quick" lightly since the queues to place an order at these stands were massive. Because of this, I only sampled two items.

The first was the most Californian dish ever- deep fried avocado drizzled in guacamole. And it was fantastic. I love avocados, so I was in heaven. And the carne asada added to the dish gave it some variety.

The second was a chicken and waffle sandwich. And I'm sad to say it was terrible. It was as unappetizing as it looked. The chicken was dry and the waffle wasn't even as good as an Eggo waffle.

Fried Avocado and Carne Asada.jpg
I loved this dish so much, I got it two additional times.

Fried Chicken Waffle Sandwich.jpg
I hated this dish so much I tried to burn it out of my mind.

Disney California Adventure has undergone quite the facelift since it originally opened. And these changes have elevated the park into a very enjoyable park. And that will only continue with the opening of the Marvel themed land later this year (hopefully) when this pandemic subsides.

Award Wieners.jpg
Slinky is definitely an award winning wiener.

GoofySS.PNG
Either Disney has the most accurate way to estimate the line for Goofy's Sky School or the app glitched.

GrizzlyST.PNG
I'm going with a glitch since Grizzly's queue was posted as this:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dmofo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Wow, the chicken on that waffle is almost old enough to drive.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 pm

^ It's a shame because everything else I either ate or saw at the festival looked good. At least I could get a good waffle at the nearby hotels.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!