Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Indiana Caverns and the Bat Chaser Zipline Coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:19 am

None of the pads above the water were free. The new ride was being built in front of the Ferris Wheel and the empty pad is by the drop tower.

mikeykaise wrote:The last time I wast at Indiana Beach I was a kid and my family stayed in a cabin and that was back when Lost Coaster was still a dark ride and the curved drop over water was more towards the end. I probably rode that thing like 20 or 30 times that week we were there. I loved that thing and haven't rode it since the change.

How much theming did the old dark ride have?
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Holiday World & Indiana Beach

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby mikeykaise » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:44 am

There were a few animatronic animals throughout the cave not a lot, and then the train ending with the bright light and the horn sounding.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:18 am

^ I'm glad the train made it onto the new one at least!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:08 pm

Indiana Caverns

Corydon, Indiana sits halfway between Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World. I've actually stayed in this town in the past, but I was completely unaware Indiana Caverns even existed. That was until they added the Bat Chaser zipline coaster.

Now I personally consider this a roller coaster. While you ride in a harness similar to a traditional zipline, the downhill course has dips, turns, and helices like a roller coaster. The experience feels like a suspended coaster to me. I know not everyone will consider this a credit, but it feels like a roller coaster to me.

Bat Chaser Overview 1.jpg
It looks like a coaster. It smells like a coaster.

Bat Chaser Overview 2.jpg
And it rides like a coaster.

I believe it cost me roughly $13 per ride. There's no pay-one-price option; you buy individual rides on the Bat Chaser. Unlike the zipline coaster in Gatlinburg where you ride up a lift hill, you have to climb a 50 foot tower to ride Bat Chaser much like you do for a water slide.

I rode a few of these zipline coasters in Dubai, but Bat Chaser had a major disadvantage compared to those ones. While the ones in Dubai allowed you to get a running start, you are slowly pushed over the edge on Bat Chaser. So you really crawl until you hit that first helix.

By the end of the helix, you start swinging around a bit. You then round this giant turn, but it's too gradual to produce any wild swinging. After this turn, you've gained some decent speed, but you then hit the brakes...which are ironically the wildest part of the ride by far. When you hit the brakes, you start swinging around uncontrollably. I attached my POV* down below so you can see just how crazy the spinning gets on the brake run.

Ultimately, Bat Chaser is a unique experience, but it's not a particularly thrilling or exciting one due to the lack of speed. The only exciting part sadly enough is the brake run. 5 out of 10

Beyond Bat Chaser, Indiana Caverns has some escape rooms and as the name suggests, some cave tours. But I only stopped there for Bat Chaser on the way back to Kentucky Kingdom. I'd say Indiana Caverns is worth the pit stop if you've never been on a zipline coaster, but there are better versions out there in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

Park Sign.jpg
I can't believe Indiana Jones ripped the text off of this small place in Indiana. Or wait, maybe I have that backwards.

* Indiana Caverns allows secured Go Pros on Bat Chaser. This was filmed with their permission.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby mikeykaise » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:25 am

Looks like fun, the best cave in southern Indiana is Squire Boone Caverns. It's been a long time since I've been there but if I remember right they have a pioneer village as well as a really nice cave.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:48 am

Hmm, based on your video, I agree with you--an interesting experience, but that's about it.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:54 am

mikeykaise wrote:Looks like fun, the best cave in southern Indiana is Squire Boone Caverns. It's been a long time since I've been there but if I remember right they have a pioneer village as well as a really nice cave.

The only cave tour I've ever done is the one at Silver Dollar City and I really enjoyed it.

cfc wrote:Hmm, based on your video, I agree with you--an interesting experience, but that's about it.

It's odd the brake run is the wildest part.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!