Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Getting high in Las Vegas...at the Stratosphere
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 am

^ Mama's is one of the main reasons I haven't had as much of Dollywood's food as other people, but I have no regrets.

I'm guessing the haunted houses you're thinking of didn't cost $15-16 though. :lol:

The only issue with Reverse Time is that it has a limited capacity. SBF has a larger model I've ridden at Quassy, but I oddly thought the smaller one was better. The smaller one has airtime while the larger one focuses on laterals.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- NASCAR SpeedPark & Carowinds- Fall

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby intrakin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:47 am

Thanks for posting your trip and notes. My husband and I will be going to Dollywood in June, and we're super excited. The scenery looks amazing as I'm sure the coasters are too!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:08 am

^ No problem. The Smokies really are a beautiful part of this country.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:00 am

Gatlinburg Fun

Whenever I visit the Smoky Mountains, I always try to stay in Gatlinburg. Not only is Gatlinburg a charming and walkable town littered with tourist traps, but it saves me the frustration of trying to find parking.

Ripley's Aquarium Tree.JPG
Gatlinburg is a really nice town to walk around. You have Christmas trees.

Pumpkin Man.JPG
Pumpkin men.

Dachshund Bill Clinton.jpg
And a wood carved dachshund sign paying tribute to the passionate love between Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky.

My day began with a trip to the Pancake Pantry, a restaurant that has always had a prohibitively long line in past visits. This time I was going to visit this breakfast establishment through Hell or high water, so I set my alarm for 6:30 am and was the first guest there.

And per Murphy’s Law, this was of course the one day that this restaurant never developed any sort of wait. However, I don’t care one bit because the pancakes were delicious.

Village Christmas (Night).JPG

Pancake Pantry Santa.JPG
Gatlinburg takes Christmas very seriously.

Pancake Pantry Pancakes.jpg
Yummy!

Donut Friar.JPG
And since I was still hungry, I paid the Donut Friar a visit.

After walking around town for a bit, the attractions started to open and I began my day with Ankeesta. This is one of Gatlinburg’s newest attractions and it’s home to the area’s best mountain coaster.

However, Rail Runner is a bit of a time-consuming and expensive credit. Rail Runner costs $12-13 per ride and that doesn’t include the $25 ticket required to reach Anakeesta’s summit. I personally don’t mind the scenic 20 minute ride up-and-down the mountain, but it is a bit of a time commitment.

Queue Line.JPG
Protip- buy your ticket online.

Chondola Top.JPG
If only a park in Connecticut had a sky ride on a mountain...

Mountains 45.JPG

Mountains 44.JPG
The views from the summit are incredible.

It’s also entirely possible Rail Runner could have a sizable queue if you arrive later in the day. Rail Runner starts at the highest point and unlike most mountain coasters that dispatch riders with the smallest interval possible, Rail Runner doesn’t dispatch the next car until the prior rider has hit the brakes.

While this is awesome for people (such as myself that like to go full tilt), it creates one heck of a line. But I’d almost say this mountain coaster is worth even a sizable queue because of how aggressive it is.

The laterals on this thing are insane. Most mountain coasters at least have minimal banking on their turns. This one has no banking. You will literally fold over sideways on some of these turns. I personally love it, but it’s not for everyone. 8.5 out of 10

Rail Runner Turn 2.JPG
The descent is steep and unbanked.

Rail Runner Lift.JPG
Did I mention the views at Anakeesta were incredible?

One experience that never has a wait is Earthquake the Ride. Do not be fooled by the wax figures in the queue line. That’s just a sign a ride is going to be spectacularly awful. :lol:

As you wait for the employee to finally get off their phone and open the door, an audio recording hypes you up promising a “real train” and “real effects”. You’re also informed this ride earned four stars according to some magazine or website I’ve never heard of.

But you know what? I agree with that. This ride does deserve 4 stars. 4 stars out of 10. It’s a dated simulator with the most random effects possible, but it’s so bad it’s funny. 4 out of 10

Earthquake Facade (2019).JPG
Now open!

Earthquake Queue Line.JPG
How do these wax figures keep beating me into line?!?

Rowdy Bear Mountain is home to the worst mountain coaster I’ve ever ridden, but they are home to the unique Mountain Glider. In my spring visit, I took a lap on the left side. So this time I wanted to try the right side.

But this was one of the hardest credits ever for me to get. My weight was an issue.

Now I'm about 160 lbs, so it wasn't because I was too heavy. In fact it was the other problem; the operator was worried I'd travel too slowly and find the ride boring. I assured him I was a dirty credit whore (just kidding, I said I wanted time to enjoy the view) and he didn’t have a problem.

I have to say, I think the right side was running wilder than the left side. The brakes on this side slowed me down a lot less (maybe because of the concern of it stalling). This made a few of the turns towards the end have some nice swinging. 6 out of 10

Mountain Gliders (Close).JPG
I think I was the only one who wanted to ride this.

Rowdy Bear Coaster Helix.JPG
The mountain coaster seemed more popular among guests.

After an evening at Dollywood, I returned to Pigeon Forge to try a haunt that I’ve heard nothing but positives about in Mysterious Mansion. And I have to say, this is everything I could have wanted from a haunt.

For one, the atmosphere was top notch. The house was decked out with theming and it reminded me of those creepy houses from the old Scooby Doo cartoons.

Second, the scare actors were amazing. I think there were only 2-3 total, but they run throughout the house and are much less predictable than scares in the other haunts I’ve done.

Last but not least, this one isn’t a straight forward haunt like others. This one is also a maze with all sorts of dead ends and hidden pathways. This really heightened the sense that you were trapped in a haunted house. This is what set Mysterious Mansion over the edge. 10 out of 10

Mysterious Mansion.JPG
Now this is how you do a haunt!

Just for comparison, I decided to try Ripley’s Haunted Adventure immediately afterwards. And it was also quite good, but for an entirely different reason.

This one had barely any live scare actors. There were maybe only 3-4 spots in the 10-15 minute attraction with a live actor. However, it more than makes up for it with all the gigantic animatronic jump scares.

The finale in particular stood-out and made me jump twice. I won’t spoil the ending, but it really is fantastic and it’s so well done that it would fit in perfectly at Hollywood Horror Nights.

This haunt also had all sorts of fun-house effects too like a vortex tunnel and shifting floorboards. From a hardware standpoint, Ripley’s is better than Mysterious Mansion. But I don’t like it quite as much due to the lack of live scares and linear path. 9 out of 10

Ripley's Haunted Adventure.JPG
Not quite Mysterious Mansion, but this was impressive too.

One other thing I did was visit the Red Rocket Retro Arcade, which is a bit of a deceptive name. This place is decked out with all sorts of newer arcade games; however, I still loved it because it had like 10-12 different pinball machines.

Red Rocket Retro Arcade.JPG
I wouldn't call this retro, but I would call it fun.

Postby bert425 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:33 am

^ man.. now you're just torturing me, since the Spouse doesn't want to make the drive to Dollywood/Gatlinburg for our vacation this year.

sigh

at least we're gonna go to Charlotte / Carowinds for a few days :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby coasterbill » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Great update!

I've actually never been to Gatlinburg and that's kind of ridiculous. I'll work on it.

Postby ernierocker » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:59 pm

Mysterious Mansion is fantastic. It is incredible how the 2 or 3 scareactors keep up with you throughout the walkthrough. When we went several years ago, they were literally jumping balcony to balcony to keep up with the guests. I also think they have backstage areas that allow them to access different floors since one of them jumped down from the ceiling where just 30 seconds ago he jumped out at of us from a section that was a floor below that one.

Interesting to note; the owner had garden hoses attached to much of the exterior structure that had several holes poked in them. Not sure if he anticipated a future wildfire, but when the bad one happened three years ago, he turned the water on before evacuating and it is very likely what saved the structure. Both adjacent buildings completely burned to the ground and the fire was probably less than 10' behind the building when it finally started raining and contained the spread.

Ripley's is a good one to attend during the Halloween season. They do a special event and the house is littered with scare actors. I was surprised as I have also been during normal operations, and they do not staff more than a handful of actors.

Thanks for the report.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:28 pm

^ I'm glad Mysterious Mansion survived the wildfire because it was so good and those efforts probably helped. I have no doubt they had backstage areas to maneuver around the house because the scare actors were everywhere despite there only being 2-3 of them.

Ripley's at Halloween sounds perfect since the scare actors would really elevate it.

bert425 wrote:^ man.. now you're just torturing me, since the Spouse doesn't want to make the drive to Dollywood/Gatlinburg for our vacation this year.

sigh

at least we're gonna go to Charlotte / Carowinds for a few days :)

Carowinds is a great park, but I do love myself a good tourist trap area.

coasterbill wrote:Great update!

I've actually never been to Gatlinburg and that's kind of ridiculous. I'll work on it.

Thanks and you should fix that! All the moonshine places on the walkable strip seem right up your alley.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Pinball machines.

:lover:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:18 pm

^ In an age where arcades are pushing redemption games that are over in a flash, it's refreshing to find an arcade nowadays with so many pinball machines.

If you think that's good, you should see the pinball parlor at Canobie Lake Park.
Pinball Parlor.JPG

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!