Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Six Flags Over Georgia- I prefer my cyclones twisted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:17 am

bluestreak wrote:Great report.... I have to ask though, what the hell is it with this area of the country and indoor scramblers? Canobie, Great Escape, Funtown... I want one in the Midwest!

Thanks! Rye Playland and Lake Compounce used to have ones too. Not sure why we have so many, but I'm not complaining! At least the midwest has that awesome indoor wipeout at Worlds of Fun.

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:Not sure when I'll ever get to Maine, but Funtown looks like a neat little park to check out.

It's behind SFNE, Canobie, and Lake Compounce, but it does have a nice lineup if you're in the area.

Nrthwnd wrote:A few decades ago, at Playland here in Vancouver, they did exactly that with our scrambler. Enclosed it, and then ran it with
the popular rock music of the time, along with a light show as it ran it's cycle. Great noisy fun. Glad to see it's still being done.

Great TR of Funtown USA. And those fries looked very nice, too. :smile:

Thanks! If you liked those fries, wait until you see the ones from Old Orchard Beach with the Palace Playland report.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

Postby bert425 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:02 am

continuing a great report, from another park I'm not too familiar with.

went to go look at Excalibur on YouTube, and *of course* Robb has some great video of it :)

See what you mean about it meandering a bit on the 2nd half, but it looks like a really fun coaster:

he also has video of Astrosphere:

reminds me very much of Cosmotron at Knoebel's. . . although that one is a Himalaya, and we got to ride it to Metallica (the DJ was taking requests and we asked for it while waiting for our cycle) :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks! Yeah the POV and the ride isn't that fast in the second half but it does give more laterals than it appears.

I rerode Cosmotron again this year since everyone else raves about it and I didn't remember it being that special. I still found it just ok. I think I'm just spoiled by Astrosphere.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
bluestreak wrote:Great report.... I have to ask though, what the hell is it with this area of the country and indoor scramblers? Canobie, Great Escape, Funtown... I want one in the Midwest!

Thanks! Rye Playland and Lake Compounce used to have ones too. Not sure why we have so many, but I'm not complaining! At least the midwest has that awesome indoor wipeout at Worlds of Fun.

As one who has operated Valleyfair's Scrambler, I too wish more scramblers were enclosed. The ride's shade structure is a mesh canopy on a stick. Does so little against sun or rain that it might as well not be there.
But yes, Cyclone Sams is awesome.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:33 pm

^ Yeah sitting on an outdoor, unshaded scrambler on a hot day is pretty miserable. I never realized just how many indoor scramblers the northeast had relative to the rest of the country. Heck SFNE used to have Joker's Wildcard (their version of Cyclone Sam's) but they moved it outdoors I believe due to fire code.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 pm

Palace Playland

New England has a proud history of seaside amusement parks. Unfortunately almost none of them have survived. One after another became a casualty to condos. However, not all hope is lost. Despite essentially being no more than a permanent carnival, Palace Playland flamboyantly listens to Destiny Child’s Survivor despite being surrounded by beachfront properties.

Sign.jpg
I don't know what's more menacing- the clown or the snake.

If there were any doubts that they’d also fall victim to condos, Sea Viper is a resounding statement they’re here for the long haul. At the end of the 2017 season, the park retired their aging Galaxi coaster. The ride had operated for 45 years, including almost 25 at Palace Playland, so it had lived a good life. It outlasted all the other Galaxi coasters in New England.

Map.jpg
According to their park map, they still have the Galaxi.

I sort of suspected they’d just replace it with one of those Interpark Super Cyclones that have been popping up on the fair circuit, but Palace Playland had a more ambitious coaster in mind with Sea Viper. After purchasing some additional property, they erected a coaster almost twice as tall as the Galaxi and it absolutely dominates the boardwalk. It’s especially true at night with the dynamic light package.

Now how does it ride? If you’ve been on the Runaway Train at Gillian’s or Python Panique at the Granby Zoo, it’s a larger version of those two rides. I was skeptical how a large Preston coaster would run, but it was surprisingly smooth outside of a few jerks on the first drop. For the most part, it was pretty tame, but the final drop and helix pack quite the punch. I wasn’t expecting the final drop to have the whip it did and it was very reminiscent of those drops on Windstorms. Then the final helix was extremely tight.

In my past visits, I had never waited more than 5 minutes for anything. Much to my shock, Sea Viper had a full queue spilling out onto the midway. I ended up waiting almost 15-20 minutes and that’s even more impressive considering the ride has a 24 person train. I’m not saying I liked waiting 20 minutes, but it’s a very encouraging return on investment for the park. 6 out of 10

Sea Viper Overview.jpg
Sea Viper towers over the midway.

Sea Viper Street View.jpg
I wonder if the people in the nearby condos like their new view. I sure would. But then again, I'll never buy a beach front property.

Sea Viper First Drop.jpg
After years of walking onto everything, I actually had to wait to ride this. I'd say that's a sign the coaster is a hit.

Sea Viper Drop.jpg
The final "big" drop packed a punch like the signature drop on a Windstorm.

Palace Playland added not one but two coasters in 2018. Next door is the Wipeout, which is seemingly the zillionth SBF spinner to grace the country. These coasters are becoming as common as carousels, but I don’t mind considering they’re a cut above your standard kiddie coaster. Even though I had a car to myself, I had a relatively spin free ride. My car spun at the rate of Time Traveler. Usually Time Traveler is a comparison a spinning coaster wants to receive, but not in this case. 2 out of 10

Wipeout Sign.jpg
SSDD- Same SBF, Different Day.

Palace Playland has two excellent flats in Adrenalin and Power Surge. The former is one of the most powerful frisbee rides out there. It may lack the size of a giant discovery or the lap bars of “it”, but in my opinion it has the most forceful air of the frisbees. The max swings offer sustained ejector air. The only problem is that there’s only 3-4 max swings, so if you blink, the ride is already over.

If you replace the graceful floater of a screamin’ swing with brute ejector air and keep the ride cycle the same length, that’s Adrenalin in a nut shell. 9 out of 10

Adrenalin.jpg
It's rides like this that'd make you think Palace Playland was a traveling carnival.

I personally prefer Power Surge. Palace Playland’s has always been the best one for two reasons- the spinning base always works and the ride cycle is significantly longer. This is one of the most dizzying and disorienting rides out there, especially at night with all the lighting packages of the nearby attractions. 9.5 out of 10

Power Surge.jpg
Still the king of the park in my opinion.

Does a beachside drop tower sound awesome? The ones in New Jersey sure were. Unfortunately Palace Playland’s isn’t one of those awesome Larson ones or even an S&S tower. Rather it’s a smaller SBF Visa tower. For that reason, the views are nothing special but it does offer something the larger towers don’t- an extended ride cycle.

I believe there were 5-6 total drops. None of the drops particularly stood out and in all honesty, I think those mini Moser towers have superior drops. Still it’s enjoyable for what it is, but riding Dragon’s Descent just an hour beforehand sort of ruined it. 4 out of 10

Drop Zone.jpg
Oh how I so wish this was a Larson tower.

Last but not least, I also rode the park’s portable flume, Cascade Falls. When I was younger, I’d marathon this thing for hours. I’m pretty sure my personal record was 2 straight hours. Having ridden countless other flumes, I don’t think that’s something I’d ever do again. The drops are just ok, but the view of the beach is excellent. 4 out of 10

Cascade Falls.jpg
For those who'd rather get wet via hyper-chlorinated water over the Atlantic Ocean, Palace Playland has us covered.

If you eat within Palace Playland’s borders, you’re doing it wrong. Adjacent to the park is a wonderland of artery clogging food containing all the usual staples (lobster rolls, pizza, fries, fried dough, ice cream, etc).

The highlight is always the Pier French Fries. This place only does French fries and has seemingly been there forever. And it’s for good reason. The crinkle cut fries are that perfect combination of crunchy and greasy. My girlfriend and I shared a box, and then in a return visit the inner fat kid in me got my own box. :lol:

Pier Fries Facade.jpg
When a place only serves one item, it's usually a good sign.

Pier Fries Box.jpg
The brain was the good angel and told me not to eat a whole box. The heart was the bad angel telling me to eat a whole box. The heart wants what the heart wants.

In past visits, I always ate at one of the three dueling pizza places on the main road- Lisa’s, Bill’s, or Rocco’s. Admittedly it’s not the best pizza, but all pizza is good pizza (unless it’s Digiorno or Pizza Hut). After leaving the park to get some side shots of Sea Viper, the unmistakable aroma of hot butter and lobster filled the air. My mouth began to water and I ended up at an unassuming place called the Shack.

There are two types of lobster rolls in New England- Maine and Connecticut. I’ll probably get shunned for this, but I think the Maine style are gross. I want to savor the hot, juicy meat. I don’t want to drown it in cold mayo, but that’s exactly what the Maine style does. That’s why I was stunned to find a Connecticut style on Maine’s most famous beach and it was probably the best lobster roll I’ve ever had.

Shack.jpg
The Shack sort of looks like a Six Flags haunt from the outside, but don't be fooled by appearances.

Lobster Roll.jpg
They make some seriously awesome lobster rolls.

Also people watching by Old Orchard Beach is quite the treat on a Saturday night. My personal favorite this year was the woman running down the middle of the street in high heels loudly and proudly yelling her name. Not quite sure what she was trying to do, but it was hard not to laugh.

Old Orchard.jpg
OOB is a very interesting place at night.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 am

I'm not a fan of New England style either, just give me the lobstah and the buttah on that roll
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:28 pm

^ I agree 100%. The only time I find the mayo based one even remotely acceptable is from McDonald's. I have no clue how their lobster rolls are actually decent, but they are.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:16 am

Lake George Fun

Enthusiasts are probably aware of Lake George since it’s home to Great Escape. However, the popular scenic getaway is home to so much more than just the oddest Six Flags park. There’s a beautiful lake. I’d say the name gives it away, but then again there’s a random town in the middle-of-nowhere Pennsylvania called Jersey Shore. Then behind the lake are the Adirondack Mountains and all the nature things you could ever want.

Lake George.jpg
Once you ride the Comet, do yourself a favor and head downtown.

There are countless hiking trails and water sports that allow you to appreciate this natural beauty. Or you can experience the sights the American way by boarding a steamboat that travels along the Lake. Guess which one we chose?

Minne Ha Ha.jpg
Of course we picked the boat. With a name like that, how could we not?

There are multiple ships to choose from, but we chose the cheapest, the prestigious Minne Ha Ha. Cheaper isn’t always better as Spirit Airlines taught me, but once we heard the whistle we knew we made a good choice. The journey took about an hour and offered countless views suitable for a postcard (if anyone still uses them).

View.jpg
You probably skipped right by this. Maybe I should have photoshopped in a Wacky Worm.

Parasail.jpg
We considered parasailing, but it was booked for the weekend.

But the highlight of Lake George outside of the Comet is mini golf. You have every single type of course out there. You have the well-landscaped course for those wanting to practice putts relevant in an actual round of golf. You have the cramped indoor courses that should only be played if a storm rolls through. And last but not least, you have the obstacle-based courses that are one part skill and one part luck.

My personal favorite is Around the World/USA. The US course takes players on a whirlwind tour of the country; although it seems very biased towards the Northeast. There was only room for 18 holes and yet it seemed like half the holes were from New England or the mid-Atlantic. I was trailing my girlfriend for a majority of the course, but a fortunate spin on the roulette wheel gave me a clutch hole-in-one.

Around the World.jpg
Jules Verne would love this golf course. I call it Around the World in 80 Minutes.

Kentucky Derby.jpg
Why would I ever hit it down an empty green when I can play holes like this?

Kentucky Attractions.jpg
Why is Colonel Sanders an attraction?

Roulette.jpg
Snake eyes.

The World course is the more popular of the two. I built a sizable lead on my girlfriend until it all went downhill in China, France, and Australia. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get my ball through the spoke of a rickshaw or Napoleon’s foot. Australia was 100% my fault though. I couldn’t resist the allure of trying to launch the ball into the kangaroo’s pouch. I eventually was successful…but it took me 10 strokes. On the bright side, going through the pouch lets you take 2 strokes off so it was *only* an 8. :lol:

China.jpg
My ball did not want to go through that spoke no matter how hard I tried.

France.jpg
Then the little leader sent me to the pit of misery.

Australia.jpg
But at least I got it in the kangaroo's pouch. It turned my 10 into an 8. Dilly dilly!

Goony Golf is another awesome course midway between the village and Great Escape. It’s a good thing we weren’t in a rush since there was an annoying group of 10 ahead of us. Having a group double the course allowance was bad enough, but the parents inconsiderately let their kids replay each hole multiple times before advancing. My girlfriend and I were neck and neck, but I butchered the automatic hole in one at the end. I didn’t think it was possible to miss, but I found a way. Shooter McGavin I am not.

Goony Golf Overview.jpg
I love how unintentionally creepy some of these characters look.

The village had some intriguing options such as the Painted Pony rodeo and the House of Frankenstein Wax Museum, but we poked our way in and out of the obligatory tacky souvenir shops and arcades.

Painted Pony.jpg
I was tempted to follow the painted pony.

House of Frankenstein.jpg
Someday I need to try this. I fully expect it to be awful. But I hope it's so awful that it's entertaining.

One of the arcades, Fun-a-rama, has transitioned into a hybrid indoor/outdoor FEC. They still have an impressive arcade blending old and new redemption games, but they also have a few amusement rides now. The carousel, bumper cars, and frog hopper were your usual fare, but I was really intrigued by this odd spinning contraption, Lost in Space.

Lost in Space looked like a high speed tilt-a-whirl. I had seen one of these things at the St. Louis Incredible Pizza Company, but the weight restriction was so low that even my 160 pound self wasn’t allowed to ride. There was no such restriction at Fun-a-rama so I curiously forked over $5 for a ride. The platform moved incredibly fast, but the cars seemed to have a gradual and controlled spin a la Time Traveler. It still had some unique laterals, but I really wish I could have experienced this thing at its full potential. Maybe one day it will make it to the German fair circuit. 6 out of 10

Fun-a-rama.jpg

Arcade.jpg
I'm far better at this game than mini golf.

Rides.jpg
This is pretty much the entirety of the outdoor section minus Lost in Space.

Lost in Space.jpg
This ride had so much potential. Please give one to the German carnies.

Also if you’re a fan of ice cream, do not miss Martha’s. If you’re the person who never thought there was such a thing as too much ice cream, think again. The large looks like something straight out of Man vs. Food. I’m pretty sure this place has been featured on the Today Show and per my girlfriend (an ice cream connoisseur), it is the best soft serve out there.

Marthas.jpg
If you have a sweet tooth, do not miss Martha's. It's conveniently located across the street from the Great Escape where you'll be anyways if you find yourself int the Lake George area.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:05 am

Great Escape

Great Escape is the oddest Six Flags park. To start, it’s the only one whose target demographic isn’t basketball dribbling teenagers. Rather this one targets the families that flock to the Lake George region. For that reason, the park has an undeniable charm in places. But then around the corner you’re have a cruel reminder that you’re at a Six Flags park. But you can rest assured knowing you’re at one of the self-proclaimed cleanest and friendliest parks in the area.

Charm.jpg
This looks like something from Story Land, not Six Flags.

Lucky Pig.jpg
The lucky pig statue.

Cleanest Park.jpg
Well it's cleaner than Coney Island, that's for sure.

Friendliest.jpg
I'm guessing they've never been to Canobie.

From a coaster perspective, the Comet is the park’s only elite coaster, but it absolutely delivers. And conveniently enough, it’s also the coaster with the shortest wait since it’s the only one that runs multiple trains. It also could be the fact that the Comet is cut-off from the rest of the ride park, as you have to pass through the water park to access the park’s star attraction.

Once you hit the first turnaround, every single hill offers airtime. The airtime isn’t the most forceful, but there are 14-15 moments of floater air. Then when you mix in the powerful laterals on the first and final turnarounds, you have a classic coaster that delivers the whole package. It’s truly astounding how well Six Flags maintains this coaster. 9 out of 10

Comet Drop.jpg
Still one of the better wooden coasters out there.

Comet Return.jpg
The Comet is an airtime buffet.

Comet Hill.jpg
I never realized until this visit that the support structure was steel.

Comet Night.jpg
This is pretty representative of the Comet's usual queue.

Maybe they funnel all of their maintenance budget to Comet since they had five attractions down on a Sunday in July. The Alpine Bobsled is having a contest with SFNE’s Goliath to see who can run for less days this year. Desperado Plunge and Condor took the Ghost Town theme a little too close to heart and showed no signs of life. Flying Trapeze appeared to be having some work done on the base. And the Extreme Supernova had a cherry picker set up next to the attraction.

Alpine Bobsled Closed.jpg
Can't say I was surprised the Bobsled was closed.

Alpine Bobsled Weather.jpg
I never knew a sunny, 80 degree day with 5mph winds was considered inclement weather.

Desperado Plunge.jpg
Taking the Ghost Town theme a bit too close to heart.

Condor.jpg
I can't recall the last time I saw Condor running.

Extreme Supernova.jpg
When I saw the cherry picker, I knew this wasn't going to open.

Nightmare.jpg
12 years later, Nightmare is still closed and standing.

Their new for 2018 attraction was Pandemonium, a Chance Freestyle that replaced the park’s Trabant. It broke down the first two times I tried riding, but the third time was a success. I rode the SBF’s take on the attraction at Quassy and found Reverse Time to be intense, but a serious ball buster. Pandemonium was considerably more comfortable.

Pandemonium only reached its maximum speed when fully inclined, which made the laterals far more comfortable. If the ride was a hair faster, it probably would have offered some solid airtime. The ride cycle was short, but probably warranted by the sizable queue. Run properly, I think the Freestyles have the potential to be better than the Wipeouts. 7 out of 10

I’m really intrigued to see what SFNE does with Cyborg considering it appears to be the same type of ride. I imagine this means the end for Kryptonite, but then again, SFNE is the park that runs two boomerangs right next to each other.

Pandemonium.jpg
I definitely prefer this over the old Trabant.

The park’s best flat is their indoor scrambler, Blizzard. This was originally an awesome indoor scrambler called the Magical Mystery Tour, but Six Flags inexplicably moved it outside for a decade before realizing their mistake and moving it back inside. I’m not sure why they ditched the Magical Mystery Tour name (especially since they play the song during loading), but it’s fun nonetheless.

Now I’m spoiled by Funtown’s Astrosphere, so the show sequence of random strobes and lights wasn’t all that impressive. However, the operating speed sure was. This may be the fastest operated scrambler out there. I also couldn’t help but laugh at the operator who was awkwardly fist pumping like he was in a club during the ride. 9 out of 10

Blizzard.jpg
It's cool that they put this back indoors.

One of the most charming attractions at the park is Alice in Wonderland. The walkthrough has clearly seen better days and is in dire need of a paint job. However, this is one of those attractions that makes the Great Escape unique. You will not find something like this at any other Six Flags park. 5 out of 10

Alice in Wonderland.jpg
I still can't believe this exists in a Six Flags park.

Raging River should be one of the nicest rapids rides around. It has an excellent setting in the woods. However, the effects can be best described as crude. These include a punctured hose, random pipes, and sprinklers. They’re easy to mock, but these effects were far more effective than the rapids. There was also a waterfall, but it hugs the wall so tightly that a raft would be hard pressed to hit it directly. Still it’s impossible to not come off this attraction without a smile considering how unrefined it is. 7 out of 10

I had never ridden the Sky Ride and was intrigued to see how it was modified after the girl fell last year. I’m pretty sure the same people who designed the effects for Raging River engineered this modification. The park literally fastened a hollow tube to the lap bar. The park offered some really nice views of the Storybook section of the park, but you’ll have to ride it yourself since the park restricts all photography on the attraction. 6 out of 10

Sky Ride.JPG
I guess the park got a good deal on metal pipes from Harbor Freight Tools.

We also took a spin on the Thunder Alley car ride and the ride basically runs itself. Riders have no gas pedal and the steering wheel doesn’t do much of anything. The only thing riders can control is the horn, but the button only worked 20% of the time. Despite this, I do really enjoy the layout. 6 out of 10

Thunder Alley.jpg
It's refreshing seeing a 50's themed car ride actually working.

Due to poor planning, we ended up finishing by Canyon Blaster. This is the park’s newest major coaster (EDIT- Forgot the Larson Loop :lol: ). It’s incredible how jerky this coaster is considering how little it actually does. The first half probably has a top speed of 10 mph. The second half has a massive downward helix, but the Arrow coathanger transitions are strong with this one. As I write this, I realized this was the only coaster I rode besides Comet. That says a lot about this park’s coaster collection. 2 out of 10

We just barely boarded before close. Upon returning to the station, we were asked how we enjoyed the last ride of the night. I was confused since there was still 15-20 minutes worth of people in the queue. Were they really not going to let those in line board? That’s only something I’ve seen at Indiana Beach. Everyone in line held their ground and after a brief delay they started loading the train again. Oh Six Flags!

Canyon Blaster.jpg
If you don't count this helix as a drop, I'm pretty most kiddie coasters have larger drops than Canyon Blaster.

As we were walking down the exit ramp, I noticed the Bumper Cars were still accepting riders despite being 5-10 minutes after closing. I was shocked, but I wasn’t going to question it. The park used to have their bumper car arena over in the Fest Area, but a few years ago they moved it into an old arcade in Ghost Town. I absolutely love the ride’s placement in a faux saloon.

The odd placement results in one of the weirdest arenas out there. Usually it’s either wide open or has a center divider. This one has 4 random pillars for structural support scattered about the arena. The cars themselves actually hit decently hard, but the cycle was over in a flash. 6 out of 10

Bumper Cars.jpg
I love the ride's placement in this faux saloon.

Bumper Cars 2.jpg
I can't think of another arena quite like this.

I figured we were on the last ride of the night, but the queue was still open! Even Canyon Blaster’s queue was still open. At this point I got greedy and decided to see if Steamin’ Demon’s queue was still open. There was no chain or barrel blocking the entrance, so we walked right up to the ride platform. There was only one problem. There was no operator in sight. I guess the Steamin’ Demon crew knew closing was at 7 pm. We decided to backtrack to the Bumper Cars hoping they were still miraculously open, but a supervisor was standing guard at the queue.

Ducks.jpg
The ducks take over at closing time.

I also spent some time at Splashwater Kingdom. I put this at the end since I know not everyone is a water park fan. Truth be told, my favorite thing at Great Escape outside of Comet is the water park. It’s very underrated. The layout is certainly wonky as it contains 3 separate dead ends with a central hub in the amusement section, but the mix of slides is outstanding. Several of the slides have pretty sizable drops.

One of those slides (Banshee Plunge) was unfortunately closed. It’s a deceptive slide since it shares the same platform as two of the slowest and most boring tube slides out there. Meanwhile Banshee Plunge completely forgoes turns and has a massive, steep plunge down the hill. It was a bummer to see it closed, but drops on Tornado and Mega Wedgie (bowl slide) made up for it.

Probably the best slide complex is also the newest, the Alpine Freefall tower. Cliffhanger is a drop pod slide with a steeper drop than most; Twisted Racer is a speedy set of mat racers that I almost performed a barrel roll on; and Bonzai Pipelines are two great body slides that manage to be perfectly smooth on the back while executing a series of fast-paced turns.

Alpine Freefall.jpg
I still can't believe you have to pass through the water park to reach Comet.

But the water park action didn’t stop there. Because we booked the trip so last minute, all my usual budget hotels were either booked or charging ridiculously high rates (on principal I refuse to pay $200 or even half that for a Motel 6). When pricing everything out, the best option turned out to be the Six Flags owned and operated Great Escape Lodge.

Hearing about a Six Flags hotel probably sends shivers down your spine. But it’s actually a really nice hotel on par with a Great Escape Lodge. The rooms are huge and the service is far superior to what you receive in the park. Really the only downside is the food. The on-site Johnny Rockets took an hour to get us our food despite there only being one other group there and I’ll never return to the Tall Tales Tavern after they served me cold pizza a few years ago.

The primary benefit is the water park. It’s definitely smaller than the Kalahari and Great Wolf Lodge water parks, but it never gets too crowded. I don’t think I’ve ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes for any slide. The family raft slide and tube slides each have 2-3 tiny dips in complete darkness that give the faintest pops of air. Then the lazy river has some nice rockwork alongside of it.

Great Escape Lodge.jpg
Even the name (Great Escape Lodge) almost matches the Great Wolf Lodge.

White Water Bay.jpg
I'll take this over a pool any day.

I strongly recommend the Great Escape Lodge if you’re in the Lake George area. I still can’t believe how well operated this hotel is considering the chain’s pedigree.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!