Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1858 - New shows & food for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:46 am

yodelo wrote:It looks like there's going to be scattered thunderstorms on Saturday the 23rd. Any idea if it's still worth going? Will all the coasters be able to open?

I don't know the specifics of KDs weather policy but its a safe bet thunderstorms will keep the coasters/tall rides closed.

Nevertheless, its entirely too early to worry about the forecast 4 days from now, it can and will likely change. Also, as it stands, it might be a good day to go - while it does look like there is a 50% chance most of the afternoon, that means there's a 50% chance it won't rain. Personally I'd be more concerned about the sweltering heat than the chance of thunderstorms that will keep people away and/or clear the park out if/when they do happen. Just keep an eye on it, but it'll probably change.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby VF15 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:00 am

I’m officially headed to Kings Dominion for the first time in about three weeks :). Have a few questions...

1) How busy does the park usually get on weekdays in July? Would it be worth getting Fast Lane (Plus)?
2) Where are the best seats on the major coasters?
3) Since I’m doing the trip without renting a car, I pretty much have to stay in one of the hotels acros the street from the park. Which one would you guys recommend?
4) Anything else I should know?
2016 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing
2017 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing

2018 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Steel Venom/Scrambler
2019 Cedar Point Ride Operator - Gemini (tentative)

Top Ten: Steel Vengeance - Fury 325 - Twisted Timbers - Intimidator 305 - Lightning Rod - Maverick - Millennium Force - Top Thrill Dragster - Banshee - Goliath (SFGAm)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:18 am

VF15 wrote:I’m officially headed to Kings Dominion for the first time in about three weeks :). Have a few questions...

1) How busy does the park usually get on weekdays in July? Would it be worth getting Fast Lane (Plus)?
3) Since I’m doing the trip without renting a car, I pretty much have to stay in one of the hotels acros the street from the park. Which one would you guys recommend?

1. Do not buy Fast Lane/Plus in advance. Wait until you get to the park. If you can knock out Volcano (always has a line) and Flight of Fear (usually has a line) before crowds get in, you might be okay.

Volcano: Front
I305: Front
Grizzly: Front of 2nd car
Racer 75: Anywhere
Anaconda: Don't
Flight of Fear: Front
Woodstock: Back
Avalanche: Front
Backlot: Front
Dominator: Back
Twisted Timbers: No idea

3. I have stayed at the might-as-well-be-on-property Centerstone Inn several times. It gets the job done and is clean enough for me. There's also a Motel 6 right there too (they used to just be one big hotel).

4. Do not skip Avalanche. Only operating Mack Bobsled in the US, and one of very few left in the world.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:33 am

I believe that Kings Dominion's Volcano is dormant right now. I would keep an eye on things before you go running there right at opening. I know your trip is 3 weeks away, but (as is tradition), it's spectacularly FUBARed right now and generally spends the majority of the summer season sitting closed.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:34 am

Volcano is open? I thought it's closed and rumored to be down for a while with construction going on around the volcano?

Edit: hi I'm just here to back up CB's post
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Satans Hockey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 am

If you want to get a lot of rides in on Twisted Timbers, especially on a Saturday I'd recommend fast lane plus.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby coasterdude28 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:35 am

VF15 wrote:Just wondering, is it at all possible to do a Kings Dominion Trip without renting a car? I’m thinking about taking a trip to KD next month if a flight to Richmond fits my budget, but renting a car would be difficult and very expensive for me since I’m under 25. Are there any buses or public transit that go from Richmond to the park? If not, does anyone know how much it might cost to take a cab/Uber/Lyft to the park?

If you would really prefer to rent a car, create a free account with USAA. You do not need to be in the military to create an account and use their travel perks. One of the travel deals is a car rental discount with a waived under 25 drivers fee, waived extra driver fee, and some other benefits.

Postby alilstronger » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:47 am

VF15 wrote:I’m officially headed to Kings Dominion for the first time in about three weeks :). Have a few questions...

1. Wait until you get there to see crowds. Once lines get to about 30 minutes I usually always buy a line skipper if its a park I hardly ever get to so I can get as many rides in as possible.

2. This is just a matter of preference. I ride every coaster in the front and last row then decide which I like more.
- 305, Flight of Fear, Anaconda, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Dominator, Grizzly - all back
- Racer - both
- Volcano - front

3. All of the hotels are pretty mediocre - just pick one with good ratings and if your brand loyal, like I am Hilton hotels loyal, use that as a point while picking.

4. The water park is mediocre but still fun. If you get the line skipper you'll definitely have time to do the entire park plus the water park. The food is decent here, love that there is a Starbucks right as you walk in to the right. If you are a Chick Fil A fan they do have that but you have to buy everything individually, they do not have meals.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Postby alilstronger » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 am

coasterdude28 wrote:
VF15 wrote:Just wondering, is it at all possible to do a Kings Dominion Trip without renting a car? I’m thinking about taking a trip to KD next month if a flight to Richmond fits my budget, but renting a car would be difficult and very expensive for me since I’m under 25. Are there any buses or public transit that go from Richmond to the park? If not, does anyone know how much it might cost to take a cab/Uber/Lyft to the park?

If you would really prefer to rent a car, create a free account with USAA. You do not need to be in the military to create an account and use their travel perks. One of the travel deals is a car rental discount with a waived under 25 drivers fee, waived extra driver fee, and some other benefits.

Lots of options if you do not have a car...

1. Zip Car
2. Car 2 Go
3. Hertz On Demand
4. Enterprise Car Share
5. Maven
6. Turo
7. Getaround
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby hoppedup » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 am

We got to KD at around 7 p.m. on a Saturday recently and a storm had just rolled through. There was a mass exodus of people. Sweet! So I checked the app and TT was not running, but Racer 75 was, with no wait, so we headed that way. While we were waiting to enter the station, we saw TT was running, so we boogied over.

There was only one train running, but we were at the bottom of the steps anticipating a short wait. The train was not getting out very fast so I timed a few cycles. From complete stop to departure was 3.5-4 minutes at first. I kept timing and the times were steadily dropping. They got really close to a one-minute cycle, but a walk of shame changed that to 2:16 after two attendants pushing couldn't get the restraint to green-light. We waited 45 minutes or so.

I explained to my daughter what an RMC conversion was. After TT she was excited that we had at least three more to ride this summer.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!