Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Intimidator305 wrote:
KDCOASTERFAN wrote:Funny how Carowinds is posting pics of their construction on facebook but so far none from KD yet.

Carowinds is posting pictures of dirt and stakes in the ground which is exactly what KD said they wouldn't do. Here is their Facebook status from 11/8/11:

Kings Dominion's Facebook wrote:The WindSeeker and Dinosaurs Alive! areas are well underway. They are both scheduled to open next spring. We'll post some pics when there is more to see than dirt and stakes in the ground.

I know as I already saw that post days ago.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:02 am

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:
Intimidator305 wrote:
KDCOASTERFAN wrote:Funny how Carowinds is posting pics of their construction on facebook but so far none from KD yet.

Carowinds is posting pictures of dirt and stakes in the ground which is exactly what KD said they wouldn't do. Here is their Facebook status from 11/8/11:

Kings Dominion's Facebook wrote:The WindSeeker and Dinosaurs Alive! areas are well underway. They are both scheduled to open next spring. We'll post some pics when there is more to see than dirt and stakes in the ground.

I know as I already saw that post days ago.

Here's an idea: Let's discuss what KD actually posts on their Facebook page, and not what they haven't posted on their Facebook page. In other words, wait for actual "news."
Last edited by cfc on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:02 am.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Austin11KD » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Windseeker construction has hardly started yet.. There's your update!
B&Ms are good rides, GCIs are great rides, Intamin rides are awesome, Arrow rides are bad...TOGO RIDES ARE GOD DARN AWFUL!!!

Favorite Park: Six Flags Great Adventure
Favorite Ride: El Toro!
Coaster Count: 32

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:39 am

Windseeker construction won't be exciting until Spring.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby braztaz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:40 pm

^What makes you say that? I'm excited as to what they do with the area and how it'll look under construction.

It'll feel good when I see them tearing up all that dreaded asphalt! (Assuming that's what their plans are...)
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:59 pm

XYZ wrote:Windseeker construction won't be exciting until Spring.

Erection is always exciting!!!!
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:13 pm

I was more saying that it won't be very exciting until the first tower piece is put into place in Spring (supposedly). Building the foundation isn't very exciting in my opinion.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:11 am

XYZ wrote:I was more saying that it won't be very exciting until the first tower piece is put into place in Spring (supposedly). Building the foundation isn't very exciting in my opinion.

I have a feeling that they'll start sooner than that,especially if they hope to have it ready for opening day.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:56 pm

I found this interesting article in an Alexandria newspaper that talks about Kings Dominion being behind a law making it standard practice for schools in Virginia to open after Labor Day, unless the school gets an exemption.

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=356226&paper=59&cat=104

Dominion Over School Calendars
Northern Virginia school officials ready to fight for opening schools before Labor Day.

By Michael Lee Pope
Thursday, December 01, 2011

For a quarter century, King’s Dominion has exercised a strange power over school divisions across Virginia. In 1986, operatives for the Doswell amusement park successfully shepherded legislation through the General Assembly that prevented schools from opening before Labor Day. School officials can apply for waivers, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be given clearance. Earlier this year, the Virginia Board of Education was on the verge of rejecting an application from the Alexandria City Public School system when it was withdrawn.

Now, with the General Assembly session ready to open in January, school officials across Northern Virginia are ready to renew the fight against the King’s Dominion Law.
"It just doesn’t make any sense," said Libby Garvey, a member of the Arlington School Board. "We need flexibility to increase student achievement, and we can’t do that if we’re in a vice."

The hospitality industry is ready to defend the King’s Dominion Law, as they do almost every year in Richmond. Leading the charge will be the Virginia Hospitality and Travel Association, which represents King’s Dominion and other amusement parks that benefit financially from public schools starting after Labor Day. The association estimates that shortening the tourism season would forgo spending by about $274 million and decrease wages and benefits by about $104 million.

"We’ve never seen any kind of difference in academic achievement in terms of starting before Labor Day," said Katie Hellbbush, director of government affairs for the association. "But studies have shown a distinct change in tourism."

THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY has spent more than $200,000 in the last 15 years contributing to Republicans and Democrats in Richmond. Top recipients in Northern Virginia include $4,500 to Del. David Albo (R-42), $2,050 to Del. Scott Lingamfelter (R-31), $2,000 to former Del. Vince Callahan (R-34), $2,000 to Del. Tim Hugo (R-40) and $1,750 to state Sen. Dick Saslaw (D-35). But votes don’t always follow the money. Albo, for example, said he’ll be voting to overturn the law this year.

"Now that we have the Standards of Learning, it’s really important to give the schools time to prepare the students to take the test," said Albo. "You can’t have it both ways."

Two years ago, Del. Adam Ebbin (D-49) introduced a bill that would have allowed school with high rates of poverty be exempted from the Labor Day restrictions. That failed, but Ebbin is undeterred. Alexandria’s experience being essentially denied a waiver has galvanized local school officials to put pressure on Alexandria City Council members, who added the item to their legislative package this year. Now Ebbin says he’s going to take another crack at it, introducing a bill that would give school divisions the ability to start school whenever they want, regardless of poverty statistics.

"This is not going to be an easy bill to pass," said Ebbin. "But I feel strongly about local school divisions having autonomy."

SCHOOL OFFICIALS say momentum is on their side this year because the Virginia School Boards Association has identified the issue as a top priority. It’s an issue that’s a shared frustration across Northern Virginia, especially the easternmost divisions that can’t get the weather-related waivers. Alexandria’s failed attempt was to get an "innovative program" instead of a weather-related waiver, which became a problem when the state education officials determined starting before Labor Day wasn’t required to carry out the innovative program Alexandria officials were outlining. Fairfax County considered applying for a waiver but abandoned the idea after considering the prospects of trying to fight the system.

"The state is flat out wrong," said Alexandria Superintendent Morton Sherman. "It’s just downright silly to say that schools can start early if they get a lot of snow but can’t if they want to help teachers."

This year, the effort is supported by the Virginia Education Association, the Virginia Association of School Superintendents as well as a handful of Northern Virginia jurisdictions.

"The big hurdle is going to be having the business community not as concerned as it’s been in the past," said Michael Molloy, director of government relations for Fairfax County Public Schools. "It’s really about persuading legislators that this change is needed to help student achievement."
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby megametal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Yeah, makes you wonder what would happen to regional theme parks if we go to an all year school year like some would have us do...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!