Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Intimidator305 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Some "Bigger, Better Planet Snoopy" news!
http://www.kingsdominion.com/article/media-center/Kings-Dominion-Announces-SweetFrog-to-Open-First-Amusement-Park-Location

KINGS DOMINION ANNOUNCES SWEETFROG TO OPEN FIRST AMUSEMENT PARK LOCATION

DOSWELL, VA (January 21, 2013) – Kings Dominion, the Mid-Atlantic’s premier amusement park where Thrills Connect has announced SweetFrog, the popular Richmond-based self-serve frozen yogurt company will open its first-ever amusement park location at Kings Dominion in the spring of 2013. SweetFrog will be located outside of Woodstock Express, a re-themed roller coaster in the park’s newly expanded Planet Snoopy.

SweetFrog at Kings Dominion will offer families a large selection of delicious frozen yogurt flavors including fat free, sugar free, and gluten free options. Customers will also have dozens of toppings to choose from including fresh fruit, granola, wet walnuts, crushed candy bars, chocolate, caramel, shredded coconut and more.

“We saw an opportunity to have another location in Virginia and were intrigued with the idea,” said SweetFrog Director of Marketing, Victor DiPace. “With Richmond being the home base of SweetFrog, what better place to have a location than at an amusement park in our own back yard? It is a perfect combination of entertainment, family and kids having fun.”

SweetFrog started in Richmond in 2009 when CEO Derek Cha hand-picked Richmond as the city to start his frozen yogurt business. SweetFrog now operates nearly 200 stores nationwide with continued expansion plans for 2013.

Kings Dominion will open for its 39th season on March 29th, when togetherness will take on a whole new meaning with the multi-million dollar expansion of Planet Snoopy. Based on one of the most beloved comic strip characters ever, Snoopy and the PEANUTS™ gang, Planet Snoopy will span nearly 14-acres and boast 8 new rides designed for families to experience together.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with such a local iconic brand that our guests can relate with and will be a great addition to our new Planet Snoopy children’s area,” said Kings Dominion Director of Marketing John Taylor. “Planet Snoopy is sure to deliver new and exciting experiences for the entire family with the addition of eight new rides and many enhanced guest amenities.”

Kings Dominion is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to Kings Dominion, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, four water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in California under a management contract.
sf-logo-frogs.png

Postby Intimidator305 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 pm

The GoogleEarth satellite has been updated for Kings Dominion. The imagery was taken on October 21st, 2012 (which means Halloween Haunt props are out). Since the last update Intimidator 305 has received a new first turn and grass around the ride, Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular has been added, Shockwave has received a new color scheme, tons of brick pavers has replaced pavement around the park, Windseeker has been installed, Dinosaurs Alive has been added, and much more!

Here are a few highlights of the update...
Park.jpg
Overview of the park.
Intimidator305.jpg
Intimidator 305, now with a new turn and grass!
Boneyard.jpg
The park's boneyard located behind Hurler, including Intimidator 305's old first turn track/supports.
Shockwave.jpg
Shockwave with its new lime green and teal color scheme.
Windseeker.jpg
Windseeker replaced El Dorado and brick pavers/planters were added to the area where XLC previously was located.
Dinosaurs Alive.jpg
Dinosaurs Alive takes up tons of land in the back corner of Old Virginia nestled in between Grizzly and White Water Canyon.
CornStalkers.jpg
CornStalkers, located on International Street across the fountains from Berserker, is out for Halloween Haunt.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:22 pm

^Nice view of I305!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm

^Yeah, but where's the new yogurt shop? ;)

Postby alilstronger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 am

Question!

I will be going to the park on March 30 and wanted to know if the park is usually crowded this early in the season? I will need to process my season pass before I leave for California on April 1st so I can use it out there.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 am

Shouldn't be busy at all. I spend most of my time at KD on March-May and September weekends. Avoiding summer Saturdays is really the only thing you need to worry about!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Postby Intimidator305 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Early spring weekends are my second favorite time to go to the park, after Halloween Haunt Friday nights. Cool temperatures with hardly any lines! You will be fine. I'll be there that weekend too to kick off my 2013 season and to celebrate Easter lapping 305...

Postby alilstronger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 am

^ and ^^ thank you guys! I am excited to finally own a Cedar Fair season pass.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby mhuffva » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:14 am

Kings Dominion increasing the entertainment offerings for the 2013 season.

In today's local Richmond, VA newspaper, there was an article noting Kings Dominion was hiring for the 2013 season and was looking to hire 4000 seasonal workers. This was an increase in the number of employees to be hired compared to the 2012 season. Also, in the article was an announcement that Kings Dominion was increasing the number of entertainment offerings from 6 shows in 2012 to 10 shows in 2013.

Kings Dominion also will enlarge the number of live shows it will present from six last year to 10 for its 2013 season, Petriello said. Seven of the 10 live-entertainment productions will be new ones.

I assume that the 3 main shows; "All Access", "Spin", and maybe "Got Country" are being replaced for this 2013 season. I believe that all 3 of these have run 2 years concurrently and are up for replacement. Then there are the 2 children shows from 2012 "Charlie Browns Pirate Adventure" and "Peanuts Rocking Party". I see them currently on the parks website, so I assume they are coming back in 2013.

That leaves "Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular / Nights of Fire" as the sixth show from 2012? I have no idea if the park considers the Dinosaur Movie as an entertainment "show" offering.

So that leaves 4 additional new entertainment offerings for 2013. I do know that the park was adding another children's show for 2013 due to the Planet Snoopy expansion. So that leaves 3 additional new shows. It will be interesting to see if these are actually "live shows" [singers, dancers, musicians, actors] or something like the Snoopy light show / fireworks events. TBD

Here is the link to the full article: http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/economy/kings-dominion-to-hire-workers-for-season/article_839cc969-baa9-5aff-9332-4ba46dff8302.html

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:22 pm

The winner of Kings Dominion's "KidCaster" competition has been announced.

DOSWELL, VA (January 25, 2013) – Kings Dominion is excited to announce that Chase Mytrysak, 7, a second grader at Winding Creek Elementary School in Stafford, has been selected as the park’s first-ever Planet Snoopy KidCaster. Chase will be the park’s junior reporter, telling the world about the park’s Planet Snoopy construction. Kings Dominion will unveil its bigger, better Planet Snoopy in the spring, which will boast 8 new rides and span nearly 14-acres. Chase was chosen as the Planet Snoopy KidCaster from more than 150 applicants.
KD_KidCaster_2.jpg
Congratulations to KD's first KidCaster, Chase Mytrysak.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!