TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

MoonMaxx Productions has just announced the 5 shows they are producing for Kings Dominion for 2013. They are as follows:

"On Broadway - From Broadway to the Midway"

"Pop Fusion"

"Got Country"

"Street Beats"

"Karaoke Superstars"

The show logos and cast member lists are on MoonMaxx's Facebook site:

http://www.facebook.com/MoonMaxxProducti...ts&fref=ts

Keep in mind that the Kings Dominion entertainment section on their web site has not been updated yet. There are still 5 other "Live" shows to be announced. One of those should be the BMX Bike Stunt Show. Three of the shows are supposed to be for the kids in 2013. That leaves one "Live" show that I am unsure about.

I'm sure they will count Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular, Dinosaurs Alive, or Patagonia for the final 'show'.

Or the "Nights of Fire" fireworks show or just the daily Peanuts character meet and greet sessions. We went round and round with what Kings Dominion considers a "Live" show on the KDfansite. Anyway, I listed the 9 entertainment offerings on here that Kings Dominion had, for 2012, under their web site entertainment section. It is a page or two back from where we are on this forum topic. So, boys & girls, which 3 do not belong? My bet is the Peanuts character meet & greet was the 6th "Live" show in 2012 and will be the 10th live production for 2013. I consider all the other stuff as "park attractions".

I checked several of the 2013 show cast members, listed on MoonMaxx's Facebook site, to see if they had their own Facebook site and to see if they were sharing publicly any of their theater performance background information. Many were and I was impressed that several of them had performed at Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, Busch Gardens - Tampa, and Cedar Point. Most of them had national and/or regional theater experience outside of the Theme Park Industry.

It looks like MoonMaxx has casted a strong group of performers for Kings Dominion in 2013. I look forward to seeing the talent perform this season!!

I am hoping we will get another Kid-caster report from Chase soon. His last report came out over 2 weeks ago, (the 12th), and Chase was there at Kings Dominion the week before to film that report (around the 6th-7th). So, it has been 3 weeks since he has actually been at the park . Plus, Kings dominion stated that there would be a new Planet Snoopy photo gallery added to their Facebook site this week. Nothing yet.

I am hoping we will get another Kid-caster report from Chase soon. His last report came out over 2 weeks ago, (the 12th), and Chase was there at Kings Dominion the week before to film that report (around the 6th-7th). So, it has been 3 weeks since he has actually been at the park . Plus, Kings dominion stated that there would be a new Planet Snoopy photo gallery added to their Facebook site this week. Nothing yet.

Patience is a virtue. I'm sure the park will report when they have made some significant progress, as the new rides just began arriving in mid-February.

Edited by cfc

Patience is a virtue. I'm sure the park will report when they have made some significant progress, as the new rides just began arriving in mid-February.

"Grasshopper" appreciates the reminder of what the definition of Patience is. I believe my virtues take a vacation from mid-February to late March. Lets see, ummmm ...... on yeah ........ "Wipe on, wipe off"

Thanks to Mr. Miyagi!

^Seriously. You are getting bent out of shape because they are a little slow getting an update to a kid's section???

And that is a sweet discount that I will probably take advantage of during my trip in April!

When Kings Dominion, that I have visited since 1975, is making a major overhaul of a whole section of the park for the 1st time in 38 years, then it is a big deal for us "locals". Sorry, if my frustration level oozed though my last entry. Kings Dominion's internet PR has always lagged behind compared to many of the parks in the Cedar Fair chain.

Some perspective helps on occasion within a major theme/amusement park web site such as TPR. There are those here that are able to join Rob and company on the wonderful trips he produces each year. Whether it is a regional US trip to parks large and small or the overseas adventures to amusement places all over the world. I've always enjoyed reading everyone's trips reports on the places visited. Especially the ones to foreign countries. Hearing/seeing the cultural quirks, from Chuck's "Engrish" review of Chinese park signs to flavored pop corn to "coasters of death". Along with all the "normal" trip hijinks that occur. Heck, I even enjoyed the "Klassy" cruise review!

But, on the flip side, there are those of us on here, like me, who are only able to visit amusement places within a few hours drive of home. Thankfully, I live in a region of the country where there are several parks to choose from like KD, BGW, WCUSA, and SFA. When time and the wallet permits, I go to visit those places. Therefore, my amusement park perspective is narrowly focused compared to others who are amusement globetrotters. What is a major thing to me could very well be a minor/trivial thing to others.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a chiropractor's appointment for an "adjustment".

(Copies of this sermon are available by mail. Please send 1 cent plus $500 dollars shipping to: "A@@ on My Back Productions" 123 Get A Life Avenue - Walla Walla, WA 99999).

^I don't dismiss KD's Planet Snoopy makeover as "trivial." I think it's a much needed freshening up of a very old kids area, and I'm glad they're taking the time and expense to do it. However, I'm not the audience that Planet Snoopy caters to--it's meant for families and kids.

As for "perspective," I think a well-rounded one is important. I hardly take my home parks, KD and BGW, for granted; after all, they are the two parls I visit the most often during a season, and I enjoy their annual events. No one is putting down "locals" (of which I am one) here.

^I don't dismiss KD's Planet Snoopy makeover as "trivial." I think it's a much needed freshening up of a very old kids area, and I'm glad they're taking the time and expense to do it. However, I'm not the audience that Planet Snoopy caters to--it's meant for families and kids.

As for "perspective," I think a well-rounded one is important. I hardly take my home parks, KD and BGW, for granted; after all, they are the two parls I visit the most often during a season, and I enjoy their annual events. No one is putting down "locals" (of which I am one) here.

I am not the target audience either Chuck. I will turn 51 the day before the park opens this month. I, like you, am glad this tired area is getting a makeover. I was 13 when Kings Dominion opened in 1975. Most of what I experienced initially in the kid's area was the Scooby Doo, Whacky Wheels (2-seater gas powered sports cars), and Yogi's Cave. I was encouraged by my Dad ... cough .... forced ... cough ... to take my 2 younger brothers on those kiddie attractions where I met the height limit and could fit (I am, to this day, awaiting knee cap replacements).

I did not feel, when I wrote the response above, that I was put down in any way. I just think Robb's web site caters to such a massive audience; across the full spectrum, from amusement globetrotters to those who enjoy just their local carnival or annual fair. I am glad I came across this site and I enjoy the exposure to other amusement places, as well as other peoples travels and opinions concerning the amusement industry.

P.S. The Planet Snoopy webcam is showing the vertical supports for Snoopy's Rocket Express elevated monorail.

P.P.S. If there are any park history buffs out there , there are 2 Facebook sites dedicated to the history of the two Virginia Theme parks. One is for Kings Dominion "KD Golden Years" and the other, for Busch Gardens Williamsburg, "BGW Memories". Check them out. They are full of historical information of past rides, attractions, and shows of days gone by.

Edited by mhuffva

From Kings Dominion's Official Facebook:
Part of the track of Snoopy's Rocket Express ready for installation!

Alright!!! Track arrives at KD!!! Let the speculation begin. Can we get free crap if we guess the maker? I'll go with a new B&M, but it has that S&S Thrust Air 2000 look to it. Yeay, NEW COASTER AT KD!!! Don't know why they go with red being I305 is red and that was their last coaster but hey, who cares.

Say what now? This is track for a kid monorail? Oh nevermind. My bad. Nothing to see here folks.

I believe all the new rides for Kings Dominion's Planet Snoopy are from Zamperla. This company currently seems to be the "King of the Hill" as far as children/family rides go. Plus, they seem to be a rising star in the thrill ride arena with their "Air Race" series of flats and their recent "Giant Discovery" rides.

Zamperla has quite a range of ride products in their online catalog. In their family ride section, they have a flat called "Demolition Derby". The company's ride video (at the very end) has Mater and some of the other "Cars" characters in it. But, it does not have the "Baby" tractors currently used on "Mater's Junkyard Jamboree". Anyone know where this ride is located?

^ Hey, methinks I've recongized that type of ride before at Knoebels, a ride called "Mad Hatter's Tea Party". This spinning ride has two circles and seven tea cups, and those seven tea cups switch between those two circles. The ride shown above uses two sets of the double circles and uses cars instead of tea cups. Tis a pity that Woodstock's Whirlybird Tea Cup ride isn't that type of ride, but it should be a fun ride nevertheless.

AS for Snoopy's Rocket Express, I do hope the monorail track's layout is more interesting compare to the one at Dorney's Park - that one is just one big circle. I want to see some more curves and maybe even cross over a section of Joe Cool's Driving School.

Today is Saturday, March 2, 2013 and opening day is Good Friday, March 29, 2013. I wonder if they would get the all-new PLANET SNOOPY up and running by that time?

35 Years of Going to KINGS DOMINION and still counting!!!

If you didn't know, the descriptions and logos for the 18 rides in the bigger, better Planet Snoopy have been released and can be viewed on either http://www.kingsdominion.com/things-to-do/planet-snoopy or http://www.facebook.com/KingsDominionInformation.

And since the park's official Facebook isn't too revealing, Sweet Frog Kings Dominion's Facebook page has some good construction photos to share... http://www.facebook.com/SweetFrogKingsDominion

421555_443576142386927_704491623_n.jpg.a9777559edcb8f99f414ba03b9c3123f.jpg

421555_443576145720260_1676857761_n.jpg.1c72b5966e7bda3c818d08a3c042aee4.jpg

421555_443576152386926_350744580_n-1.jpg.9bab5d948c4bd9f43306e008d7a207e5.jpg

549253_443575875720287_1600630136_n.jpg.95ae248c938df500a71a6919c3738b0f.jpg

549253_443575879053620_779864206_n.jpg.a80d7874561adc4e4232f2c30bcb2c19.jpg

549253_443575882386953_874963828_n.jpg.237e3691758e04b5c8cfca76df5be63f.jpg

You know, some of my earliest memories in life go back to KD's kids area. So from a nostalgic standpoint part of me is kind of sad to see this renovation. I know this is necessary for the park to keep up in today's standards, but I'm just a really nostalgic guy. I'm gonna miss some of the rides in the kid's area, but in the end it will be worth it in the long run, so I'll just have to suck it up.

I really like Taxi Jam/Great Pumpkin Coaster's new paint! Can't wait to see if Ghoster Coaster/Woodstock Express will get new paint as well!

There is another exterior photo of the Sweet Frog location, on their Facebook site, that has most of the back half of the coaster structure in the background. If you look at the lower center section, it looks like the coaster has been re-painted a deep royal blue. Compare that section of the ride to the back curve structure; that back portion of the ride is still a faded robin's egg blue. At first I thought is was contrast issues (in shadow, therefore looks darker). But, the photos were taken on an overcast day so I am ruling that out. Go to their Facebook site and look at the pictures taken on 3-1-2013. Look for the exterior shot with the back half of the coaster in the background and let me know your thoughts.