Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: jynx242 and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Gimme Some Candy!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterfreak101 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Coaster_Fanatic wrote:
DougMJr wrote:What exactly was causing the damage to the trains? The the sheer force or was it something with the shaping/snap?

I believe the track put too much friction on the wheels, causing them to basically melt away.

Pretty much, yup. It's the combination of the high forces and the duration they're applied - plenty of coasters pull 4-5G's, very few of them do so for more than a second or two at a time. I305 pulls that straight through that entire turn, and before the reprofile that was probably somewhere around like 7-8 seconds worth. Now it's probably closer to 4, and then the forces begin to decrease a bit as the train loses speed. It's still enough to force all the blood in your brain down and cause the greyout, but it's done wonders for the wheel longevity!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby glaze700 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am

Hello!

I am new here. My name is Grace and I'm 17.
I have been going to KD since I was a little girl.
But here's the catch. I am a vintage KD junkie! I've been scrolling through the post on here and seeing all the pictures and information has really inspired me- I really want to write a book for KD's history. Would anyone want to help me? I know the basis of most stuff but I would need a general time line of which rides came when. I also want to add pictures, but I need to ask to use them from who ever owns them, so If you have any pictures I an use lemme know!

Thanks!

-Grace

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:48 am

^ Just in case you haven't seen this page...

Kings Dominion Golden Years
https://www.facebook.com/pages/KD-Golden-Years/

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby smallpox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 am

glaze700 wrote:Hello!

I am new here. My name is Grace and I'm 17.
I have been going to KD since I was a little girl.
But here's the catch. I am a vintage KD junkie! I've been scrolling through the post on here and seeing all the pictures and information has really inspired me- I really want to write a book for KD's history. Would anyone want to help me? I know the basis of most stuff but I would need a general time line of which rides came when. I also want to add pictures, but I need to ask to use them from who ever owns them, so If you have any pictures I an use lemme know!

Thanks!

-Grace

this would be really cool and i'd buy it! i'm 35, so all the ancient KD history like the singing mushrooms, yogi's cave, the apple turnover and king kobra are indelible elements of my childhood.

one thing you might try is searching your DVR for upcoming airings of "Rollercoaster", a movie from 1977 that occasionally gets aired (it was on a few months ago, i think on WGN). it's a B-movie about a mad bomber blowing up roller coasters, but it has some awesome footage of what the park looked like in '77. There's several minutes of on-ride footage of Rebel Yell when it was brand new. Lake Charles is beautiful with an enormous fountain where Anaconda currently sits, and of course took up the entire area where the water park is now. you get decent glimpses of the aforementioned mushrooms, the skyride, and many other attractions as well. (even in some scenes that are supposedly taking place at other parks, you can tell they filmed it at KD)

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Wingwright » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 am

smallpox wrote:one thing you might try is searching your DVR for upcoming airings of "Rollercoaster", a movie from 1977 that occasionally gets aired (it was on a few months ago, i think on WGN). it's a B-movie about a mad bomber blowing up roller coasters, but it has some awesome footage of what the park looked like in '77. There's several minutes of on-ride footage of Rebel Yell when it was brand new. Lake Charles is beautiful with an enormous fountain where Anaconda currently sits, and of course took up the entire area where the water park is now. you get decent glimpses of the aforementioned mushrooms, the skyride, and many other attractions as well.

Yes! It also has great footage of Magic Mountain. The finale involves a newly opened Revolution. Good stuff.

CoasterRadio did a hilarious audio commentary podcast for this movie. I highly recommend watching it a second time with the commentary if you are a fan of the show.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby palmerleeberry » Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 pm

smallpox stated -
oh also i suppose i should mention that Windseeker was up and running.oh also i suppose i should mention that Windseeker was up and running.

The next sound you'll hear are tons of riders and amusement park flyers rejoicing.

"WA-HOO!!!" :b :br :b :br :lmao: :lmao: :cool: :roll:

"35 YEARS OF GOING TO kINGS dOMINION - AND COUNTING!!!" :airtime: :airtimer:

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby JWAddington » Tue May 07, 2013 6:05 am

Any rumors floating around on the "BIG Surprise" that is being revealed at the end of SnoopyCON? Another big box of chocolate chip cookies perhaps? I havent been to the park so i don't know if there is a big present looking box on display like at Cedar Point a few years back celebrating Snoopys birthday.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Speaking of Snoopycon, here's ah announcement from the park:

In 2013, Kings Dominion is excited to announce SnoopyCON: A Coaster Enthusiast Family and Friend Event! This park-sponsored event will take place on Saturday, July 6th, just a few months after the opening of our bigger, better Planet Snoopy – the world’s largest PEANUTS-themed children’s area!

The price for the event is $59.99 and that includes a PEANUTS character breakfast, early ride time in Planet Snoopy, behind-the-scenes tours in Planet Snoopy and Intimidator 305, lunch and much more.

In addition, we are providing a HUGE surprise at the end of the event. While I won’t give away the exact surprise itself just yet, here’s a hint: it certainly will make the day at Kings Dominion amazing and full of more thrills than ever before for you and your family!

Your group members can purchase tickets by visiting www.kingsdominion.com/snoopycon. There is also a tentative itinerary posted on that site, along with additional information you’ll need to make SnoopyCON the best day possible.
SnoopyCON_Flyer_FINAL.pdf
SnoopyCON Event Flyer
(2.46 MiB) Not downloaded yet

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby thepoint4life23 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Ok i was looking at the kings dominion website, for fast pass prices. and it looks like for 2 people it looks like it will be $55. with that price that will get me on all the rides right?

Thanks
Guys

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 am

^ Get the fast lane plus

The standard one does not include Intimidator and Volcano
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!