Here is some 2013 highlight information that came from Clint Novak's CoasterCrew "In the Loop" web radio interview yesterday with Kings Dominion's spokesperson Gene Petriello. Gene was able to give out some detail information and some "vague" teaser stuff concerning Kings Dominion for 2013. Thanks Clint for hosting the show and getting Gene for the interview!
1. The Anaconda was NOT painted during this off-season.
2. Dominator was re-painted during the off-season. Gene said it only took the paint crew 2 weeks to complete the paint job.
3. WoodStock Express is in the process of being re-painted (i.e. Ghoster Coaster / Scooby Doo).
4. Great Pumpkin Coaster,(Taxi Jam), is in the process of being repainted.
5. The former Kidzville rides are in the process of getting their final coat of paint for the Planet Snoopy re-theme and should be in the process of being re-installed later this week.
6. Gene said the first 3 new rides of Planet Snoopy should be fully operational by the end of the week ["Woodstock's Whirlybirds" (teacups), "Snoopy's Junction" (kiddie train), and "Charlie Browns Windup" (swings).
7. KD is currently in the process of re-installing the coaster trains and flat ride cars/vehicles to the rides around the rest of the park.
8. The BMX Stunt Bike show will occupy the Peanuts Showplace amphitheater this year.
9. There is a new stage for the country music show "Got Country" at the western end of the Grove. It is near the WindSeeker and the SkyFlyer attraction. Gene stated they removed the free-standing games booths near those attractions and that is where the stage will be. There was not enough details given to know if this is just a temp stage, similar to what "Blood Drums" used during Haunt, or something more permanent.
10. The far eastern end of the Grove will be getting pavers roughly from where you cross over the small creek, (just past the Dodgem building), to the Congo entrance. I thought Gene stated the pavers might extend into the Congo front plaza area (Where Outer Hanks restaurant is located).
11. Gene said Kings Dominion is in the middle of a multi-year landscaping project for the whole park. In addition to new landscaping for Planet Snoopy the park has re-done the landscaping around the Eiffel Tower.
12. Supposedly, the International Street fountain pool was re-painted. (Again? I thought it was re-painted during last years off-season?)
13. Gene stated that Kings Dominion will be getting a new style of park map for this year. I thought he stated the park will be the first to get this new style of map in the Cedar Fair chain.
14. Gene did mention that they would be some unique events at the park. Again the details were vague at this point.
15. He hinted at some new stuff for the 2013 Haunt. But, there would not be any details available until late summer.
16. Nothing much was brought up concerning food offerings and merchandise. One of the food places was being re-named in the Congo section to better fit the theme of the area. Gene did allude about the park trying to get back to theming in the park. It sounds more of a long-term, multi-year effort.
17. According to Gene, Planet Snoopy will open to the public for the first time at 10:30am on Friday, March 29th.
Well, that should wrap it up as far as the interview highlights.