Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: IanTajgiszer and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Tunaboy407 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:20 am

Celebrating 40 Years of Family Fun, Thrills and Memories

DOSWELL, VA (September 12, 2013) – Kings Dominion turns back the clock as the park announces plans for a celebration four decades in the making. This once in a lifetime event will include many surprises, the return of classic park icons and a chance to create new traditions and memories with your family. The celebration will begin next season to commemorate Kings Dominion’s grand opening in 1975.

“As a native Richmond resident, I grew up not only visiting Kings Dominion, but also started my career here as a seasonal associate,” said Pat Jones, Kings Dominion’s Vice President and General Manager. “I have 40 years of fond memories and I am thrilled to share some of these exciting moments with our guests during our special 40th Celebration.”

The central piece of the 40th Celebration will be the introduction of “Ruby”, a custom painted 40th Celebration horse. “Ruby” will be added to the park’s historic Carousel, which dates back to 1917. The Carousel has operated at Kings Dominion since the park opened in 1975.

Those who grew up with Kings Dominion will also notice the return of many original park icons next season, including:

The homecoming of the park’s classic blue ice cream, which was a hit with families for decades.

A complete restoration of the iconic International Street fountain, which will include a new LED lighting package and additional refurbishments.

Reintroduction of one of the park’s original classic midways, Candy Apple Grove. This re-themed area will include new ride lighting packages, return of the classic over-sized candy apples along the midway and other surprises.

The return of Safari Village (formerly the Congo area of the park) and will include exciting improvements to Volcano: The Blast Coaster and one of the park’s older roller coasters, Anaconda.

In the coming months, Kings Dominion will also make many more exciting announcements as part of this thrilling celebration. Follow us on Facebook and on Twitter to be the first to hear about the latest news from Kings Dominion.

Here is its website https://www.kingsdominion.com/celebration#&panel1-1

This is awesome!!! Candy Apple Grove is coming back!!!!
Last edited by cfc on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:42 pm.

No man is useless in life... As long as he can be used as a bad example![url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/7b3aeab23f160bc5d2a65aa1f3be41b4.jpg[/img][/url]

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:27 am

Wow. So we really may see the return of the singing mushrooms.

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:32 am

Sounds interesting. I'd love to see Kings Dominion bring back some nostalgia to the park. I'm also glad to see Anaconda is getting some attention from the park. The ride could use some TLC.
Last edited by mike541x on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:00 pm.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby smallpox » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:32 am

I LOVE this.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 am

I wonder if the exciting improvements to Volcano include the second station that was proposed for last year? Would be very nice!

This should all be really great - I was actually a little sad looking at some of the old Great America pictures people have been digging up, because you can tell how much more character these parks used to have. Glad to see some of that coming back!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Postby redfoot12 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 am

^^^Agreed.
KD lost a lot of its charm during the Paramount years.

Postby redfoot12 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:47 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:I wonder if the exciting improvements to Volcano include the second station that was proposed for last year? Would be very nice!

It's most definitely a pipe dream but in addition to that extra station, I would love to see some enhancements to the ride itself, like an added element. Maybe a banked curve or helix or something. The ending always seemed so abrupt.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby boughtontroy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:36 pm

I got some good news.

From Screamscape: Good news from Kings Dominion today… it seems Intimidator 305 was spotted making test runs Wednesday morning. This means the lift is fixed…and perhaps we’ll see it open to the public once again this weekend.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby megametal » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 pm

I wonder what enhancements Anaconda could be getting? In my opinion, it's removal would be an enhancement, but I guess this announcement means they don't want to get rid of it. Hmmm. New shoulder harnesses like some of the new boomerangs have?

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

I absolutely love this announcement. This is exactly what the park needs before the next coaster. The Grove is the only area in the park that really needs some sprucing up and obviously this will be done for its transformation into Candy Apple Grove (maybe either Drop Tower or Rebel Yell will get paint). As for Safari Village, Anaconda will definitely be getting some paint (finally!).

I'm excited for the re-theming of the areas of the park. Thank you Matt Ouimet for actually spending money towards things like this.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!