Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby redfoot12 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey folks! Just got back from KD about an hour or so ago.
I was actually not impressed after my first ride (which was in the middle, more towards the front) but 10 rides on it later, I definitely have a new #1 steel and it's neck and neck with El Toro for #1 overall. I would have ridden it more but my friend hasn't been to KD since Flight of Fear was new so we had to do some other rides as well.
I was not too happy about the assigned seating but I still was able to ride once in the front and once in the back. Both were awesome, front for the first drop and sense of speed and back for feeling the various forces the ride puts you through. I really can't decide which one I liked more. As for my initial disappointment I chalk it up to lousy seating and the track not being "warmed up".
It's so awesome having this coaster 20 minutes from where I live.
Other notes...
Crowds were pretty light today for the holiday, I guess. Hurler, Shockwave, and the log flume weren't running. Got a great ride in on Grizzly (my friend disagreed) after being turned away for it being down for some reason. Dominator broke down at least 3 times. Volcano broke down at least twice. I got two good rides in on each though. Also rode Ricochet and Backlot Stunt Coaster--each ride was a standard run. 305 was my 125th credit.

Now...for my "bag of crap" (I don't do Trip Reports, photo or otherwise, just yet, and these were taken with my 2MP camera phone.)...
#3.jpg
I swear it says Theme Park Review right above my man boob!
downsize(2).jpg
That there's a big coaster...

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:39 pm

I was there tonight as well too with my kids and my son got to ride Rebel Yell & Grizzly for the 1st time. (He liked Rebel Yell much better, He's 6) Got 2 rides in on I305 with my Sis so I wanted her opinion as a "Civilian" coaster rider.
She did like it but thought it was a little rough and she could not take more than 2 rides back to back. (Especially after seeing a guy lose all of his dinner over the railing after his ride :?r )

One really crappy thing is that ALL of the trees from the infield of Grizzly's first turnaround have been removed and really killed some of the atmosphere.

Also noticed that Shockwave was missing the chain cog at the top of the lift and its chain. so itmight be a while before it opens again.

Sad thing is that in 1.5 hours today I got more rides in than 9.5 hours on Friday :p

JEFF
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:49 pm

pkdcoaster wrote:One really crappy thing is that ALL of the trees from the infield of Grizzly's first turnaround have been removed and really killed some of the atmosphere.

I noticed that too. Every year I go to KD I find something else to make me a little sadder when I ride Grizzly. I thought the ride itself was great today. Not as rough as when I rode it last in 2008.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Brashnir » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:57 pm

pkdcoaster wrote:Also noticed that Shockwave was missing the chain cog at the top of the lift and its chain. so itmight be a while before it opens again.

It's scheduled to open on April 17, according to the park's website. Hurler is down til May.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:05 pm

I have just updated TPR's Official Media Day Report with some new behind the scenes photos, a downloadable desktop wallpaper, and more! Click here:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=877056#p877056

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:05 pm

I have just updated TPR's Official Media Day Report with some new behind the scenes photos, a downloadable desktop wallpaper, and more! Click here:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=877056#p877056

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:49 pm

Sweet new Wallpaper!! Thanks Robb

JEFF
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 am

I just watched the POV and all I can say is.... OMFG!!!! That is one hell of a ride! I can't believe how fast it tears around the track. This is the first coaster in a while that I have seen that actually looks scary and incredibly fun to ride.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:24 am

Brashnir wrote:
pkdcoaster wrote:Also noticed that Shockwave was missing the chain cog at the top of the lift and its chain. so itmight be a while before it opens again.

It's scheduled to open on April 17, according to the park's website. Hurler is down til May.

Thanks for the update,I'll be sure to get some video of it on next month's visit.

I must be in the minority here but I actually enjoy riding shockwave.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby animalfarm2006 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:41 am

KingB24 wrote:So anyway, we headed to Dominator to find that Berserker was closed, most likely to clean up vomit or something.

The reason why it was clossed is because it shut down on itself with me, and my cousin. :lmao:

Sunday the dominator shut down with us + his mom and my brothers wife at the slow down point. We had to walk down the spiral steps to get off.

As for the 305, My second ride was just as scary as my second friday. The wheels or something on my car was making a HORRIBLE screeching noise mid way through the track and on the lift hill. It also seems to me that they hold the cars a little more in the breaks at the third hill.

The grissly was rough towards the back for me. Stunt coaster was fun. We finaly got on the flight of fear! ^.^ Got my brothers wife on it for the first time as well. Rebel yell was fun. The people loading the el dorodo or whatever its called would not let people sit in the front or back. :?r

but over all, I liked sunday more that friday. We brought the kids and played at the kidsvile area. My four year old nephew got on the scooby coaster, and screamed the whole time. lol. He liked the taxi cab. The boo blasters is fun, but so cheap at the pop outs. You hear the chains banging after ever pop out, and some get stuck. We rode it about five times as their was no line. I like the fact that if you hit the circles things pop out and move. The misty 3d skull was scary for the kids. :shockr:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!