TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

These cars are much better! They actually look finished. There is no odd gap from the zero car, and the side of the cars have some paneling so it looks more like a "car." The best part, for me, is that the seats look a ton better! The B&M trains look like someone took a square platform, bolted seats they took from their abandoned car onto it, and then attached the cut off front of the car. Intamin's cars look like roller coasters cars, while the B&M ones look like some beginners attempt at customization. But that's called my opinion.

^ I'm wondering if they would possibly rub against your shoulders a bit much and maybe give you brush burns.

Not "brush burns," but they can give you a chop to the neck.

Better picture, but I still say it looks ok, but it's the design of the other cars behind it that make it look ugly. If they added some more customization to the cars with the seats they could've added a small wall to the side like on the Intamin Trains. It's just odd looking. Just those little additional aesthetic features will make the trains look a lot better.

Ya, I see where some of you are coming from if you're talking about the zero car as a whole and saying 305's looks better because it "flows" with the rest of the train and isn't just sticking out there like the one at Carowinds, but if you're merely talking about the stickers and saying the stickers look better on 305's I really see NO difference whatsoever between the two, they are equally as good/bad...

^thats what my original query was about the stickers...they were bashed all to hell on one train but when the exact same sticker format/layout comes out its praised...

Better picture, but I still say it looks ok, but it's the design of the other cars behind it that make it look ugly. If they added some more customization to the cars with the seats they could've added a small wall to the side like on the Intamin Trains. It's just odd looking. Just those little additional aesthetic features will make the trains look a lot better.

A small wall. Have you ever been on the new mega coaster trains from B&M? Talk about feeling free! Its works really well from a riders stand point but may not look all that sleek in pictures. I have been on a standandard intamin mega coaster and i felt "safe" and secure, but on the new B&M open trains its a little more, dare I say, intimidating. Some people would not even sit in the outside seats due to being that scared.

Jarvis "thinks both trains looks the same and likes each one!" Morant

I think the difference between the two Intimidator trains is that I305 is only two across seating like a real stock car while Carowind's Intimidator is four across seating. Therefore the zero car is going to have more of a bulky unrealistic look. I305 trains look better, IMO, because they are able to scale the trains better to look like a real race car.

The cars themselves, I think the stadium seating in the even rows seem higher than on the other mega/giga coasters and you have a clear view of the track in front of you. Maybe my height helped. I also felt like the seats in the odd rows we more wider than those in the even rows.

I'm wondering why TPR showed up at the I-305 event and took pics along with videos but didn't for I-232? Am I missing something here? Do they not like B&M or something? Oh and they should have themed both new coasters to the Pink Pony with pink colored track, glittered trains, and Miley Cyrus music playing in the que just to make everybody happy.

Edited by lilj4425

^I'll speculate and say that Carowinds is nothing we haven't seen in recent years with the additions of Behemoth and Diamondback whereas I305 is the first giga coaster built in the last ten years. There was more hype and fanfare for I305 because of it's design and really has nothing to do with B&M versus Intamin.

^I'll speculate and say that Carowinds is nothing we haven't seen in recent years with the additions of Behemoth and Diamondback whereas I305 is the first giga coaster built in the last ten years. There was more hype and fanfare for I305 because of it's design and really has nothing to do with B&M versus Intamin.

Oh...I understand that and agree with you. I just find it odd how the TPR crew was able to go across the entire country and ride I-305 but didn't go just a state or two south to ride I-232. They don't like Carowinds. Kidding.

^What Wes said.

To chime in again on the 'sticker issue', I pretty much agree with what others have said. The stickers work on I305 because the front of the train actually almost looks like a car, and the way the seating and the rest of the train looks it just works better. I still maintain that it looks really bad on the B&M Train in part due to the size and shape of the train.

Oh...I understand that and agree with you. I just find it odd how the TPR crew was able to go across the entire country and ride I-305 but didn't go just a state or two south to ride I-232. They don't like Carowinds. Kidding.

I know Elissa/Wes answered the question, but maybe Carowinds doesn't like Robb. Of course I'm just joking with that comment, also.

Remember Robb is working at KD filming for the park, so KD hired Robb, and Carowinds didn't. TPR is a website, tour operator and video/production company.

Robb and Elissa will be including Carowinds as part of a TPR Tour for the 2nd year in a row, TPR Management doesn't hate Carowinds or B&M. Anyone who believes they hate Carowinds or B&M is SUPER DUMB!

Edited by larrygator

Agreed that 305's trains look better than Carowinds Intimidator's trains (although I like both), for the simple fact that the combination of straight-across seats and the trains having actual sides, it looks more like a stock car. It would've been cool to see them stick a big #3 on the side, but with the length of the train it would've looked terrible.

I just rode I305 twice today...

All I need to say is If you haven't booked a trip to Kings Dominion, you need to!

I305 is seriously one the best coasters in this country.

Floater Air, Ejector air, Fresh Air you name it!

And that first turn is a must exprience!

And the "twistyness"...

... It's awesome.

P.S. Front Row is the Way to go!

^I actually think that looks about a MILLION times better than on the B&M Train where it was just a little small area of stickers. Heck, the front of the train actually almost looks like a real race car!

See those Intamin trains are good for something!

You gotta be kidding me...They are virtually the exact same thing.

The same area for stickers are pretty much the same scale on both trains...

No, they are very different. Stop being such a pathetic Carowinds fanboy. It's really lame and annoying.

--Robb

I know Elissa/Wes answered the question, but maybe Carowinds doesn't like Robb. Of course I'm just joking with that comment, also.

Remember Robb is working at KD filming for the park, so KD hired Robb, and Carowinds didn't. TPR is a website, tour operator and video/production company.

Robb and Elissa will be including Carowinds as part of a TPR Tour for the 2nd year in a row, TPR Management doesn't hate Carowinds or B&M. Anyone who believes they hate Carowinds or B&M is SUPER DUMB!

Ahhh...I didn't realize they were hired by the park to do that. Awesome. I wish Carowinds would have hired them also. TPR did great work on this new coaster with their coverage.

I was a little unsure about the ride when it was first announced as I thought the layout didn't suit the potential that a giga coaster had. I am glad to see that I was wrong, and this looks like, and from the reviews is confirmed to be, an awesome coaster. I definitely wasn't expecting to read that this was such an intense coaster, and the ride does live up to the potential that a giga coaster offers.

Ahhh...I didn't realize they were hired by the park to do that. Awesome. I wish Carowinds would have hired them also. TPR did great work on this new coaster with their coverage.

I just want to make it clear that KD didn't as much "hire" us but we offered our video production services for the media day event.

Personally I think the entire production went amazing and we were able to go from shooting an onride rider cam POV to handing someone the footage on a flash drive in about 20 minutes.

And that included capturing it off of DV tapes or memory sticks, converting it in the editing software, exporting it to the flash drive and adding all the other park B-Roll and media day information.

We had three people on this job (Myself, Clint, and Will) and we all worked very hard for about two days prior to the event to make it all happen.

The ride proved to give us quite a few tehcnical challenges since even with high end HD technology built for intense extreme situations, I305 gave our equipment the run for the money! End of the day we pulled it off, got some great footage, some HD POV, and I think a very satisfied park!

Kudos to everyone involved!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey