Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby redfoot12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:41 am

^^Schools will still be in session so I would imagine it will mostly be walk-ons or max 3-5 train waits (possibly a little longer for Volcano).

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Saldek » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Hurlfest event info just posted on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=215741611781176

It's the return of HURLFEST!

Coaster Enthusiasts, join us as we celebrate the Roller Coaster!

9:20 am – 10:20 am: 1 Hour ERT Volcano and I-305

1:30-3:00 pm : Lunch (Hamburgers, Fried Chicken, Pork BBQ w/ Cole Slaw, Baked Beans, Potato Salad, Soft Drinks, Iced Tea, & Ice Cream Treats)

During lunch session:
Raffle Prizes
Special Starlight Gear
*must be present at the Picnic to be eligible
*must have a meal ticket to attend the Picnic

10:00-10:45 pm: 45 Minutes after general public ERT of Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster

For tickets, visit the link below and use the code: Hurl2011
https://www.kingsdominion.com/shop/shopping_corporate_partners.cfm

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby khowe22 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 am

Just finished reading the pages and pages of KD vs BGW debate. I have a small interest in this because my work is shipping me to Richmond for 2 weeks in july and I would like to visit one of the parks during the weekend of July 23/24. I visited BGW in 2007, so Griffon would be something new. I have never been to KD, however, and that is the park I'm leaning toward. I may try to visit KD on the day of my arrival (monday july 18) and attempt to do the park in 2/3s of day. Would this be possible, or would anyone suggest waiting til the weekend to give myself an entire day? Would like to avoid crowds if possible, and if I do the monday thing, I just may attempt BGW on the weekend. Not sure if that would be smart either. Regardless, I will be alone and bored so anything will be welcome. WTH is there to do in this area besides KD and BGW?!?!?!

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:45 am

^You could easily get KD done in 2/3 of a day on a Monday. BGW would probably be packed on a weekend, but the crowd spreads out pretty well, and the ride crews move quickly more often than not. If you're looking for other stuff to do, there's historical stuff all around Richmond. Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields are abound in this area. You can take the drive up to Washington if you want, it's about 100 miles north (just watch out for traffic). You could also go to Virginia Beach, which is pretty nice in the summer time.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:48 am

Going to Kings Dominion on a summer weekend almost guarantees you a nice 2+ hour line for Volcano, a full Flight of Fear queue, and busyness everywhere else (Intimidator's hit-or-miss, it seems to me - one day there's no line there and other days it's just as bad as everywhere else. But at least it moves, and is worth it). I would most definitely go on a weekday, and just hope that the number of school and camp trips won't be unbearable. And I would definitely go to KD over BGW as a coaster enthusiast traveling to Virginia. I think Busch Gardens is probably very doable on a weekend day - make it Sunday if possible. And good luck!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 am

BGW also offers Quick Queue for beating the lines. So, If I had to spend a Saturday at one of these parks, I'd go with Busch Gardens.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:54 am

KD is about 30 minutes north of Richmond and probably 45 min outside of Fredericksburg. There isn't much around unless you drive to those cities.

BGW's located in a very touristy area so you'll be able to find tons of things to do in the area. You've got the Historic Triangle plus tons of shopping. Virginia Beach is about an hour and a half to two hours from Williamsburg.

VA's a great state for history buffs, so if you're into that kind of stuff, you should check out the battlefields, plantations, and museums around the area.
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Location: Intimidator 305 - Red Train - Row 1 - Left Seat - Going over the crest of the lift

Postby T-BONDIcoasterkid » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Virginia is full of awesome parks (Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg) with awesome coasters! Also there is many historical sites there!
Coaster Count: 33!
Favorite Coaster:INTIMIDATOR 305
Last Coaster Ridden: Verbolten
Next Park: Kings Dominion

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Saldek » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm

^^Williamsburg to Virginia Beach can be driven in one hour with traffic permitting on the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel which tends to get gridlocked quite a bit. Going I-664 to I-264 can be done in one hour and a half.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Make next weekend a "Coaster Weekend" with Hurlfest on Saturday and TPR's BGW Day on Sunday!

Details about Hurlfest: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=215741611781176
Details about TPR's BGW Day: http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/index.php?productID=139

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!