TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^Last weekend, I was almost completely blacking out in the back of the silver train. I'm not sure why it was just the silver train, although it might have had something to do with the pretty heavy vibrations going on in the back of that train. It was to the point where I had tunnel vision and about 90% of my vision was blurred, and my entire body was tingling (very similar to when a body part falls asleep, but my entire body did that). It was freaky as hell, but I enjoyed it!

I think this would officially freak me out. I guess the ride is still very intense then.

It hasn't lost its edge at all, and there haven't been any signs of trims being re-added yet. This means that as I've maintained from the beginning, the trims were added because of the wheel problem and not because of the blacking out problem. The parks are going to protect their bottom line first and foremost, and buying wheels at an alarming rate wasn't helping their bottom line at all. Every time I've gone this year, they've had both trains running all day, whereas pre-trims last year, they were constantly taking a train off and running with only one. I would be moderately to very surprised if the drop ever gets trimmed again.

Anyone flying into Richmond for KD and doesn't want to rent a car, you may have an option now. The bus system that runs normally around downtown announced a special route to Kings Dominion that will run 8 times a day. The cost of the bus is $5 each way. The earliest bus leaves downtown at 7:50 am (Can't tell if it is for employees only, if it is the next bus leves at 9:15 AM) and the last bus departs KD at 11:30 PM and it says to take around 45 minutes.

You still would have to pay a cab to take you to downtown where the bus picks you up at. There is some hotels across the street from KD so staying overnight and taking a bus back the next day would be easy too.

More information: http://www.ridegrtc.com/FrontEnd/Download_Files/get_on_bus_downloads/Rt102.pdf

On an earlier post, I made an error about the name of the waterpark in Kings Dominion that I thought was called "Typhoon Lagoon" when it debuted in 1992. KDcoasterfan corrected me by saying

Actually the waterpark first opened as Hurricane Reef in 92, not typhoon lagoon.

First, here's my !

Now here's my as I will state, "If the park would stop changing the names of their waterparks, then I wouldn't have made a mistake like that! Gee Whiz, how many names am I suppose to remember anyway?"

Now that is over, let's continue onward and outward as I wait ever so patiently for Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular. Anyone else got their special glasses?

"To me, when it's starlight, then that means it's nighty night. Take the hint."

Ok so here is my take on the BGW vs. KD thing:

1.) KD has Intimidator 305 which beats everything at BGW.

2.) BGW is clean, has nive op crews, and 4 great coasters!

3.) KD has Volcano, and Dominator

Personally I like Kings Dominion better for 3 roller coasters: INTIMIDATOR 305, VOLCANO THE BLAST COASTER, AND DOMINATOR!

P.S. I love Griffon and it is my second favorite coaster but KD's 3 powerhouses that beat griffon when combined so yea.

P.P.S. I have a fun pass to BGW so yea.

^And I get bored to tears after spending more than two hours there. There's a lot more to a park than roller coasterzzzzzz. KD literally has nothing that interests me besides the 4 or 5 semi-decent to great coasters there. I might do a flat ride or two to curtail the boredom on occasion, but seriously, I spent all of opening day there and wanted to leave by about 3 p.m. The only reason I stayed was to ride 305 at night. I'm not sure I've ever felt that way during a day at BGW.

In the defense of KD, I'm the opposite. I was done and bored with BGW after a couple hours when I went there, and don't necessarily have much of a desire to go back. Maybe eventually to get the Griffon credit, but am currently in no rush having ridden SheiKra (whereas I'm already planning to go back to KD in 2012 to ride the *updated* I305). I know as soon as I get off Griffon anyway I'll have the mindset of, "Okay, now what?" while wishing I was at KD, and also feeling disappointed for having spent $63.99 on a ticket. I almost ran out of time at KD because it took that long to accomplish everything I wanted to. This was an "everything is a walk-on" day also, I might add.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

^And I get bored to tears after spending more than two hours there. There's a lot more to a park than roller coasterzzzzzz. KD literally has nothing that interests me besides the 4 or 5 semi-decent to great coasters there. I might do a flat ride or two to curtail the boredom on occasion, but seriously, I spent all of opening day there and wanted to leave by about 3 p.m. The only reason I stayed was to ride 305 at night. I'm not sure I've ever felt that way during a day at BGW.

Ummmm, let's see a 305 giga coaster or a 210 foot hyper, tought descision, not.

I almost ran out of time at KD because it took that long to accomplish everything I wanted to. This was an "everything is a walk-on" day also, I might add.

The way their ride crews move, that doesn't surprise me.

Otherwise, I'm calling BS. I could walk from attraction to attraction and ride everything with hours to spare in the middle of the summer. That is, unless I start trying to ride all the kiddie rides, too. The food is atrocious and over-priced (but that comes to be expected at about 80% of parks these days), there are no indoor shows of note, and other than Drop Tower, there's really no excellent non-coaster ride (The Crypt, yes, but I don't enjoy Top Spins). El Dorado is a snore-fest, the flyers are some of the weakest I've ridden, their dark rides are both kiddie rides. Hell, DarKastle blows away about half the coasters at KD alone. Even Flight of Fear's outdoor cousin to the north is smoother and faster, and that's at the worst Six Flags park in the chain! The log flume and rapids rides I honestly have sparsely ridden at both parks, but most of those are pretty similar from park to park.

I've said it several times before, and I'll say it again. I305 is the ONLY thing that KD has over BGW. I know that 305 made the KD fanboys' balls drop a little bit last year, but one world-class coaster doesn't mean the park is better than what's widely considered one of the top theme parks in the country (and please don't tell me Volcano or Dominator are world-class, they are good, but not THAT good). I've been going to both parks my entire life, I've seen them grow and develop, and that will always be my stance.

Ok Busch Gardens Fanboy. Oh, and sorry but Dominator is WORLD CLASS biggest 360 degree vertical loop in the WORLD.

yep, a single inversion that's been used hundreds of times for decades defines a coaster. Not to mention that nasty knock to the head as you enter the loop. And the horrible rattle that ensues the rest of the ride. World class all right.

To sum up . . .

Some people prefer Kings Dominion. You can talk about that park in this thread.

Others prefer Busch Gardens Williamsburg. You can talk about that park here.

I've nothing against comparing and contrasting the two parks, but lets lay off any flame wars or name calling.

Thank you. Carry on.

If I'm going with my friends(or alone),I'm going to Kings Dominion! If I'm going with my family,We are going to Bush Gardens! We were blown out of the water when we went Sunday and realized how many good,intense rides my 42" nephew could do with us! Cedar Point was our favorite place to go each summer.We could not afford it this year,Turns out it was a blessing in disguise. Cedar Fair is good for thrills,But what about family? Of course once my nephew gets to be 54",Peace out Bush!!!!!

I'm so glad I have KD and BGW as my home parks. However, when I go to BGW I feel like I'm in a special world. When I'm at KD I just feel like it's a state fair with really good rides. I guess I'm a junkie for theming. KD has some great rides but to me BGW is just more of an experience. I do enjoy KD's haunt to BGW's though, it is much, much better in my opinion....

Dominator has to be one of my favorite steel coasters, regardless of where it ranks. I've ridden it many many times including during its stay at Geauga Lake. I don't know what it is about it, but I just adore it! What I do know is that statistics and biggest this, longest this, don't matter to me. They're cool to know, but make no effect on the final ride.

I haven't been back to Kings Dominion since they got the ride, and I really hope to in the next year or two, to get a ride on I305. But if I do that, chances are it'll be on the way to BGW for whatever they get next year. Will I have an opinion on the two? Yeah, probably, but in the end will I enjoy both parks? Yes, I think that's the most important part, not big rides or more coasters.

If Paramount had never owned KD this would not be a debate! Under Taft KD offered a lot more for family's.Paramount stole that,And it will take a long time to get it back.BG did not beat KD in attendance until 1995. BG has never looked back since!