Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby azza29 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Great to see these operating calendars popping up around the place - makes trip planning much easier. So looks like the place will be open from 10:30-8 on the day I'm visiting.

It's a Friday (June 7), anyone able to comment on whether this will be enough time to do all the rides (will skip the waterpark), or should we budget for Fast Lane as well? Or are we better off going earlier in the week even though opening hours are shorter?

I annoy the Title Fairy every other week!

Postby Voxelmatic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:26 pm

azza29 wrote:It's a Friday (June 7), anyone able to comment on whether this will be enough time to do all the rides (will skip the waterpark), or should we budget for Fast Lane as well? Or are we better off going earlier in the week even though opening hours are shorter?

Most of the schools around there are still in school and have exams that week (including me). You should be fine!
I'm probably TPR's biggest fan of Premier Rides.
I'm Batman.
I rode Skyrush before it was cool.
Check out my latest theme park adventure!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Yeah, you'll be totally fine. MD and VA schools are still in session, for the most part, into the second week of June. KD is also pretty good with distributing lines around the park - any day but a mid-summer Saturday you can usually get everything you want done!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby azza29 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:33 pm

^Awesome, thanks!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby screaminkid2005 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Intimidator305 wrote:Also, 3 out of the 8 new Planet Snoopy rides have been announced.

While these have already been announced...
Snoopy's Rocket Express
Linus Launcher
Woodstock Whirlybirds

More have been announced such as...

Lucy's Tugboat
A Balloon Ride
and also a train ride, but this could be Snoopy's Rocket Express.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:34 pm

mhuffva wrote:Warning: The pictures can be a little depressing for old farts like me. Some of these attractions have been at the park since it opened in 1975. I had to take a couple seconds to recognize the area where the tree swings were and demolition of Yogi's/Treasure cave (in progress) in a couple of the pictures!

I loved Yogi's Cave. Treasure cave... not so much.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:38 pm

An announcement from the park today. Remember--you must be between the age of six and ten to be a "KidCaster." ;)

Kings Dominion Searching for its First-Ever Planet Snoopy KidCaster!

Be part of the Planet Snoopy construction as the Planet Snoopy KidCaster junior reporter!

WHAT: Can’t wait til the spring of 2013 to experience Kings Dominion’s new Planet Snoopy? Well, Kings Dominion has the perfect opportunity for you. Kings Dominion is looking for its first-ever Planet Snoopy KidCaster reporter!

The Planet Snoopy KidCaster is Kings Dominion’s roving junior reporter. The amusement park is looking for someone between the age of 6 and 10 to watch Planet Snoopy transform into the world’s largest PEANUTSTM-themed children’s area in the world.

The Planet Snoopy KidCaster will get to see all of the Planet Snoopy construction first-hand, before anyone else. The Planet Snoopy KidCaster will tell the world what they think of all the construction as the new rides and attractions are built during the off-season.

The Planet Snoopy KidCaster will be featured on Kings Dominion’s YouTube Channel, Facebook page, Twitter page and more.

WHEN: Kings Dominion’s Planet Snoopy KidCaster will come to the park to report on the construction once a month, starting in January and lasting through April, 2013.

WHERE: Apply ONLINE. Visit http://www.kingsdominion.com and click on the second homepage banner for the KidCaster or visit http://www.kingsdominion.com/biggerbetter-planetsnoopy and click on the KD KidCaster tab on the top of the screen. All applicants must fill out a submission form, which includes a 200-word or less description on why you want to be the Planet Snoopy KidCaster.

Submissions will be accepted through Monday, January 7, 2013. A winner will be selected on Monday, January 14, 2013. No purchase necessary. Full sweepstakes rules can be found at http://www.kingsdominion.com.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:49 am

Was hanging out on Youtube - which waste hours and hours - and ran across some cool KD commercials from the 70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8vVUAcKB0M
"if that don't getcha then the Rebel Yell will!"

I guess Dick Van Dyke was a KD spokesperson for some time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWrhVPpvA5E

I first went to the park in 1984, then again in 85. Grizzly was still the "hot" new ride! I didn't get back to the park until 2011 and so much fun seemed to be gone. Granted, it was early in the season and everything (including Grizzly) wasn't open. The operations were poor and we had some serious issues with line jumpers. Of course, after being there as a kid, then going back 26 years later - I had really gotten my hopes up. Perhaps just 2 bad days for the park; I do look forward to going back to the park in the future. I'm hoping the new CF leadership will help spread the Cedar Point quality and efficiency of operations to the rest of the parks in the chain.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Dah137 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Does kings dominion have a fastpass system. If so does anyone know how much it costs?

I annoy the Title Fairy every other week!

Postby Voxelmatic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Dah137 wrote:Does kings dominion have a fastpass system. If so does anyone know how much it costs?

They do have one, it's called Fast Lane. Will you be going alone or with anyone else? If so, how many other people?
I'm probably TPR's biggest fan of Premier Rides.
I'm Batman.
I rode Skyrush before it was cool.
Check out my latest theme park adventure!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!