Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Dah137 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:11 am

I will be going to the park with two other people. Its going to be my first visit. Ill be visiting busch gardens as well as i havent been in about 8 or 9 years.

I annoy the Title Fairy every other week!

Postby Voxelmatic » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:15 am

In that case, it would be $40 per person for Fast Lane, and $45 if you would go on a Saturday.
Hope that helps!
I'm probably TPR's biggest fan of Premier Rides.
I'm Batman.
I rode Skyrush before it was cool.
Check out my latest theme park adventure!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:44 am

When do you actually plan on visiting the park? If you go on a good day, you won't even need to purchase anything.
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby A.S.Coasters » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:58 am

Yeah, I think it was the weekend of July 7th and 8th when I went to both KD and BGW, and KD was literally empty the entire day on saturday.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Dah137 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Im going around june 15th. Just wondering if you know what attractions typically have the longest waits at Kd or bgw?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:13 am

Volcano and Flight of Fear seem to have the longest waits at KD while Verbolten is BGW's longest wait. Since you're going on a Saturday it seems, you might as well bite the bullet and get Fastpasses for both parks or hit any of the rides that get long waits early in the day.
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby smallpox » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:45 am

Dah137 wrote:Im going around june 15th. Just wondering if you know what attractions typically have the longest waits at Kd or bgw?

you need to ride Volcano first thing in the morning. it's very low capacity and the wait gets longer and longer throughout the day. Flight of Fear is a good second choice, it can back up as well. i305 line moves pretty fast, so you can hit that at your convenience (early and often is my recommendation ;) )

Shockwave is also an excruciatingly slow line, but unlike Volcano, it is by no means a must-ride.

GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND

Postby Fooz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:35 am

I guess they're not going ahead with that volcano station modification?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Kings Dominion Gives "Hard Hat" Tour of Planet Snoopy Construction

Gene Petriello, Kings Dominions public relations manager, and Wayne Fuqua, rides maintenance manager, showed us how the work is progressing in the park's expanded Planet Snoopy area. Once finished, this expansion will encompass the old Kidsville section, take up nearly 14 acres, and offer 18 attractions that kids and parents can enjoy together. This will make it the largest Planet Snoopy of all the Cedar Fair parks.

Eight of the rides in Planet Snoopy will be brand new:
Snoopy’s Rocket Express: An aerial monorail that gives families a view high above Planet Snoopy.
Flying Ace Balloon Race: Hot air balloons that lift up 15 feet into the air, as you spin around. Each balloon represents a different country throughout the world.
Linus Launcher: This ride will give families a sense that they are flying around together in Planet Snoopy.
Charlie Brown’s Wind Up: Families will hop in and swing around on this baseball-themed ride.
Snoopy’s Junction: It’s all aboard a Snoopy-themed railway, with Woodstock leading the way.
Lucy’s Tugboat: Come on board a rocking tugboat, as guests set sail with the entire family by their side.
Snoopy’s Space Buggies: Defy gravity, as families hop into moon buggies that bounce up and down and rotate in a circle.
Woodstock Whirlybirds: Spin around in the classic teacups, with a new Woodstock-themed twist.

Ten of the rides will be existing attractions, some of which will be rethemed with the Peanuts gang in mind:
Lucy’s Crabbie Cabbie (formerly Boulder Bumpers)
Great Pumpkin Coaster (formerly Taxi Jam)
Woodstock Express (formerly Ghoster Coaster)
Snoopy vs. Red Baron (formerly Red Baron)
PEANUTSTM Turnpike (formerly Junior Turnpike)
PEANUTSTM Road Rally (formerly Road Rally)
Boo Blasters on Boo Hill (This attraction will remain exactly as it is--no retheming.)
Joe Cool’s Driving School
Flying Ace
Snoopy’s Moon Bounce

Many details, such as height requirements, are being worked out as the work continues. The new rides will be arriving at the park between February 13 and March 1, 2013, and Planet Snoopy is scheduled to open with the rest of the park on March 29. This is, of course, subject to change due to unforeseen conditions. The names for the rides could change, too, as the process grinds on.

And before construction, there has to be some destruction. Many of the old Kidsville attractions, such as the Treasure Cave, have been permanently removed. Much of the work being done now involves digging to prepare Planet Snoopy's infrastructure. Let's have a look.
01.jpg
Welcome to Kings Dominion and Planet Snoopy. But please keep in mind . . .
01a.jpg
. . . this is a "Hard Hat Area."
02.jpg
Yes, it's so dangerous that Snoopy has been wrapped for his own protection.
02a.jpg
Here's the area we'll be covering.
03.jpg
Remember Snoopy's Splash Dance? It's being replaced by an "iconic" Planet Snoopy fountain. There are no plans for a water-play area in Planet Snoopy.
04.jpg
This fence is one remnant of the old Kidsville that will remain.
05.jpg
The Treasure Cave, which was closed all this season, used to be here. This will be the site of the Snoopy's Junction train ride.
06.jpg
No, this isn't "Pigpen's Dumpster of Delight." Woodstock Whirlybirds will be installed here (near Snoopy's Junction).
07.jpg
RIP Treasure Cave.
08.jpg
This will be Lucy's Crabbie Cabbie (kiddie bumper cars).
08a.jpg
The old Boulder Bumpers facade has been removed.
09.jpg
"Stupid concrete! I pulverize you good!"
10.jpg
This is for all the fans of piles of dirt, sand, and gravel. You know who you are.
11.jpg
While the old air-conditioned Treasure Cave may be gone, parents and kids can seek relief in what used to be the old "Lost Parents" building. Kids (and, I presume, parents) will even be allowed to take naps inside.
12.jpg
OK, Taxi Jam is being rethemed as Great Pumpkin Coaster. Will you count it as a new credit? I sincerely hope not. ;)
13.jpg
Next to Great Pumpkin Coaster will be the station for Snoopy's Rocket Express. This will be an electric (not cycle) monorail ride. The station will be roughly 10 to 12 feet above the ground.
14.jpg
Hmm--I don't know what the fate of this little dinosaur will be.
15.jpg
Gene Petriello talks to a reporter from Fredericksburg, Va.
16.jpg
Moving on toward Boo Blaster. The park will be adding three new rides here, in addition to retheming some existing rides. They're still working out the details, but three new rides located here should be Flying Ace Balloon Race, Lucy's Tugboat, and perhaps Snoopy's Space Buggies.
17.jpg
"Must move big rock . . ."
18.jpg
See that pile of rubble on the left? It's roughly where Lucy's Tugboat will be located.
19.jpg
The existing Red Baron planes have been removed for refurbishment.
20.jpg
Here it gets a little confusing. Boo Blasters was technically not part of Kidsville, but it will be part of Planet Snoopy--but the ride itself will not be altered.
21.jpg
The two electric car rides here will be renamed Peanuts Turnpike and Peanuts Road Rally, but will be essentially unchanged.
22.jpg
A moment of silence for the old Kidsville sign. They'll be "Snoopying" this one up, too.
23.jpg
Well, that's it for the tour. There will be others as construction progresses.
24.jpg
I leave you with this shot of Kings Dominion's official Planet Snoopy Mobile. Thanks for reading.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby biker7766 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Great update Chuck! Can't wait to see more of the progress on this project!
TPR's Queue Line Enthusiast!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!