Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby eddie200330 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:27 pm

When Volcano was built, I wonder why they never went with a train of this length........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfa1_zhYuHY
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby disownedpear » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:37 pm

eddie200330 wrote:When Volcano was built, I wonder why they never went with a train of this length........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfa1_zhYuHY

I think it had something to do with the the LSM's not being powerful enough.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby CoasterLover » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:14 pm

^I believe you are correct. When Volcano first opened, they actually had every other row of seats removed leading to only eight riders per train (if I remember correctly) to ensure the ride would make it over the top of the highest inversion (the ride hadn't yet had much time to be "broken in").

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby disownedpear » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:26 am

Check this out

VS

The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:35 am

Volcano was a prototype and pretty "buggy" from the start; still, it's a shame that the Intamin launched inverted coaster (shuttles aside) never really "took off" (pun intended ;)) Volcano is a short, intense, and fun ride.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:47 am

cfc wrote:Volcano was a prototype and pretty "buggy" from the start; still, it's a shame that the Intamin launched inverted coaster (shuttles aside) never really "took off" (pun intended ;)) Volcano is a short, intense, and fun ride.

After youtubing the 2 Intamin inverted Tornado's, I hath wondered the same of those styles. They look pretty sweet and way more fun than Vekoma's SLC!
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:09 am

Kings Dominion is throwing a 40th birthday bash!

KD14-074_40th_birthday_bash.jpg

KD40 Birthday Bash: A Coaster Enthusiast Family & Friends Event
May 10, 2014

We're finally over the hill. Time to hold on! You're invited to KD40 Birthday Bash: A Coaster Enthusiast Family and Friends event commemorating Kings Dominion's 40th Celebration! This exclusive, first-of-its-kind coasting event at Kings Dominion will be held on Saturday, May 10, 2014 and will feature upscale food, interactive games, fun, prizes, exclusive ride time and more!

Birthday Bash will embrace the 40th Celebration Birthday theme, including hats, balloons, presents, surprise gifts and more!

Tentative Birthday Bash Event Schedule
While final details are still in the works, below is the tentative schedule for KD40 Birthday Bash at Kings Dominion:

12:00pm: Registration and Welcome (Location TBD)

12:30 - 5:30pm: Free time in the park, which will include One Ride Exit Pass per person on two of the following five rides:

Intimidator 305
Volcano: The Blast Coaster
Dominator
Grizzly
Flying Eagles

6:00 - 7:00pm: Cocktail hour with Games, Snacks, PEANUTS character appearances (Location TBD)

7:00 - 8:00pm: Dinner featuring carving stations, build your own side dish and more (Location TBD)

8:00 - 10:00pm: Dancing with a Live Band

10:15 - 11:00pm: EXCLUSIVE ride time on Intimidator 305 PLUS another ride to be announced on May 10th following participant vote prior to the event

Pricing

Pricing for Birthday Bash is still being finalized. There will be special pricing for 2014 Season Passholders and pricing for non Season Passholders, which will include admission to Kings Dominion for the day.

Each participant 21 years of age and older will be given TWO free drink tickets, to be used during the Cocktail Hour prior to dinner. Non-alcoholic drinks will also be served during this time. Additional drink tickets can be purchased on the day of the event.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby smallpox » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 am

sounds like fun!

I donut like this custom title :(

Postby yay101 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 am

That sounds awesome! Especially the One Ride Exit Pass for Grizzly :p

I'm curious why the One Ride Exit Pass is offered for Flying Eagles. That is so random!
Favourite Coaster: Steel Vengeance
Other Favourites: SkyRush, Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, Magnum XL-200, Voyage, Apollo's Chariot, Phoenix, Outlaw Run, and Storm Runner

Obsessed with S&S Screamin Swings

If Magnum XL-200 dies we riot

Hello Kitty is not a cat. Hello Kitty is god. You exist only at Hello Kitty's pleasure. Crawl like drugged roaches before her splendor

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:47 am

Flying Eagles is on Fastlane and the line gets really long so I guess it makes sense. They probably figured they'd throw in a family ride so it appeals to families and enthusiasts and they probably picked that one because pretty much every age group enjoys it (including the enthusiasts).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!