Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1230: Cheetah Chase launched racing slides announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:17 am

^Don't forget St. Patrick's Day, President's Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day, Columbus Day, Labor Day, Memorial day, Talk like a pirate day, Valentines Day. (I know it's not a holiday, but technically neither is Halloween.) What I'm getting at, is that they really have quite a bit to work with. Why limit yourself to just Easter.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:35 am

Out of that list (and Easter) I think Valentines day would make the best addition. (Please please no Easter) That being said, i think there is room in many of the existing zones, especially Thanksgiving, to add attractions.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:28 pm

My vote is for Mardi Gras. That or Cinco de Mayo.

Postby jynx242 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Groundhog day! By far the best!!! ;)

D

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Easter has too many religious connotations to it to be practical, I think. *

I kind of like the idea of a holiday that could really have some oomph to it. St. Patrick's day* for example could have some winning ride ideas for many people to enjoy- beyond the obvious. Valentines Day has the most practicality about it- but lacks the ability to flex to the 'family' atmosphere of a park such as HW. Memorial Day & Labor day provide good summertime/fall settings- but fail to attract the energy of rides, etc. to make them practical. Mardi Gras would be a great fit- but may not fly well with the locals, as it tends to be very regional in nature.

In all, they have a range of ways they can choose to go- should they choose to add a new holiday theme area.

(* Note: My reasoning behind Easter is this: While 2/3rds of the country celebrates Easter, 1/3rd do not- which means there would be some connotations lost in translation, even to the educated. The same could be said for St. Patrick's Day.)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby megametal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I think we can safely rule out Labor Day. I could see a Memorial Day or Veterans Day section though, if it's respectful.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:25 pm

I could see some type of whimsical April Fools day themed kids section working okay. A spinning coaster, a flat ride, a play structure, and some type of crazy ice cream stand and you've got your self and April Fools Section.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:45 pm

QueerRudie wrote:Easter has too many religious connotations to it to be practical, I think.

You're kidding, right? Having an Easter section with bunny and colored egg theming is no more religious than having a Christmas section with Santa and elves.

Let's not forget that the WHOLE PARK used to be Christmas-themed...

Postby Raven Maven » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:48 pm

I've always through Easter as a themed park section would be cause of constant consternation. Why? Too religious for some and not religious enough for others. We'd never satisfy the masses. (Oops, sorry, my Catholicism just slipped out for a sec ...)

But then, who am I ... ?*

*Oh, yes, the one who deals with the complaints. :)
Paula Werne
Holiday World Communications
HoliBlog, Facebook & HoliTwit

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:51 pm

palmerleeberry wrote:So now it begs the question: what will this park do next as an encore. I mean, you've got two awesome water coasters, a couple of woodies that are slated to be fitted with Timberline trains

Voyage and... ? I haven't heard anything about Legend or Raven getting Timberliners. Remember, the Timberliners *might be* a trade off of sorts for any new installation, but won't necessarily make a better ride (or reverse).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!