Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1207: $5.5 million in investments planned for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
token black guy

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby jarmor » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:16 am

cfc wrote:^Actually, I think that's an argument for having a somewhat more family friendly coaster at Holiday World, other than the Holidog-themed kiddie coaster. Raven, Legend, and Voyage are all rather intense rides.

hummm...so maybe their next coaster, if steel, should be something like manta-west or a mouse??
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Spideyfreak » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:39 am

QueerRudie wrote:
Spideyfreak wrote:This is what I said:

"Okay. Holiday World has it's own twist on things, it's own "style" if you will. For example. HW's take on wooden coasters = VOYAGE! It's unique and a pretty awesome ride. I think a ride like Sooperdooperlooper (SDL) at HersheyPark would best suit Holiday World. Why do I say this? It's a simple concept, but unique. I think HW should have something no more than 100 feet tall, with a basic drop and loop. After the loop, I would like to see the remainder of the ride filled with medium-intense airtime and a finale helix. It would fit the "classic" personality that HW has, and I think it would honestly be something that a lot of families could go on."

You're not the only one who posted something similar to that- as I did the same.

If anything, HW is a family park- with family attractions (Save 'Voyage') where building a 'ginormous 29 inversion floorless launched woodie' would be a HUGE mistake- but rather: K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple and smart. (There's another acronym for that- I know). Loch Ness Monster, Tennessee Tornado (Scaled down, of course) and HersheyPark's sdL were at the top of my 'list' as well as some of the better small to medium class coasters out there. I keep seeing Intamin pop up- and as much as I like Intamin rides, I think they would have to scale back the intensity on them to truly create a smaller-scale ride.

(If Arrow were still around, and this was 1979, I'd have put them at the TOP of the list to do it!)

Of course, now that I think about it, I agree with Chuck as well. An S&S launch coaster like powder keg would fit perfectly. It seems thrilling but not too intense. Sometimes I wish Arrow was still around...

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding the recent passing of the long-time employee Frieda Foertsch.

The Holiday World family is mourning the loss of long-time employee and friend, Frieda Foertsch*, who passed away yesterday at an Evansville assisted living facility.

Foertsch, who retired from Holiday World in 2009 at the age of 98, began her long career at the park in 1954. Over the decades, Frieda worked in many departments, including admissions and foods; she even sewed Santa suits. In more recent years, she was known as the “flower lady” who saw to it that the park’s blooms were watered and weeded.

“Frieda was such a smart, strong woman,” says park matriarch Pat Koch. “Her devotion to the park and kind humor provided an inspiration to us all.”

Foertsch was born in Evansville in September of 1910 and moved to Spencer County in 1942. In the year 2000, she was named Indiana’s Outstanding Older Worker and was included in a “60 Minutes” segment about older workers.

“Frieda provided an incredible example for generations of young employees here,” says Koch. “Her work ethic and great pride in the look and feel of the park will never be forgotten. She planted far more than flowers here.”

Visitation and funeral arrangements for 100-year old Frieda Foertsch are pending.
5805024114_84430bf4c2_z.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I'm wickedly obsessed with Ron Toomer

Postby B-RadG » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:02 pm

That's awful :( just last year I sent her a 100th birthday card. She seemed like a great woman though I never had the chance to personally meet her.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Emiroo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:46 pm

I can't resist chiming in with my usual opinion for HW's first true steel:

#1: A Maverick rip-off would be perfect. I'd even take a clone.

#2: I'd love to see a heavily themed super custom B&M inverted. Think Nemesis crossed with Raptor.

#3: I honestly think relocating Time Machine (Led Zepplin) is an excellent idea as well.

But HW always comes up with the unexpected, so I don't expect to see any of this come to fruition. It will be a super double secret surprise when it is finally revealed.

And as a final comment, Safari Sam's Splash Land is an amazing addition this year. Don't be fooled that it's kiddie. It's fun for everyone. My 3 year old loves it. My 6 year old loves it. My wife loves it. I love it. All 8 slides are awesome (and surprisingly fast) for all ages and add amazing capacity to the waterpark.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 pm

^ Well, Emiroo, as nice as those choices sound there's a wrench that gets thrown into the gears. Maverick was $22 million and sadly, HW built their Thanksgiving section with a $14 million price tag over a couple of seasons due to running out of time and a bit over budget, so I would think a coaster less or around $12 Million would be more manageable for them—at least at this time.

The other problem is the B&M's have a 54" height restriction, so that eliminates a lot of smaller riders. I haven't been to the park in a few years, so I think the only ride with a restriction over 48" is the Liberty Launch.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Snoopy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Maverick was not that awesome anyway. Something more like Stormrunner would be better. And I don't think they are polling enthusiasts without a budget for a decent custom steel. Stop underestimating this park.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby BaMiTsPaT » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:13 pm

^I disagree with you about the Maverick vs. Stormrunner argument. If you look at Holiday World's existing thrilling coasters, none of the three are gimmicky and are complete and fairly long rides. Maverick is a complete ride whereas IMO Stormrunner is too short and would not fit in well at a place like Holiday World.
Coaster Count: 200 Wood:35 Steel: 165

Favorite Steel: Maverick (CP)
Favorite Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv.)

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding their upcoming feature on Bert the Conqueror.

A world-wide audience will be able to tune in Wednesday to see the host of the wildly popular Travel Channel reality show “Bert the Conqueror” try to “conquer” two of the world’s top-ranked rides, both located at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari.

Comedian Bert Kreischer is an “everyman” who travels the country, conquering extreme rides, sports and unusual competitions. During his two-day visit to Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari last month, he attempted to “conquer” The Voyage roller coaster and Wildebeest water coaster, each voted the world’s top rides of their kind.

“We had a lot of laughs with Bert,” says Holiday World president Dan Koch. “And a lot of high-pitched screams, too. We can’t wait to see the show on Wednesday.”

According to show producers, Holiday World was the "most demanded" venue for Bert to feature in his show's second season. In addition to riding Voyage and Wildebeest, Bert visited with Santa Claus and rode a classic ride with the park’s matriarch, Pat Koch.

“Bert the Conqueror” airs Wednesday evenings on The Travel Channel, which is available in more than 94 million U.S. households. This week’s Holiday World episode airs at 9pm CDT (10pm ET/PT),

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari are open daily for their 65th season. New this season are Rudolph’s Round-Up, a new children’s ride, plus Safari Sam’s SplashLand a water-play area for children featuring eight water slides. For more information about the parks, visit http://www.HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.
5870898535_5dd8974ddf_z.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:49 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:42 pm

^I saw this episode and was disappointed that it didn't feature more Holiday World coverage. As I recall, they only featured two rides at Holiday World: the Voyage and Wildebeest. The rest of the show was spent on some silly snow inner tubing "contest".

Oh, and there was a brief flash of Craig Knor in Voyage's station.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!