Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1207: $5.5 million in investments planned for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby ajc47 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:36 am

Their FB status says they are open but Liberty Launch is down and will be for all of today.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:17 am

This thread makes me remember why I LOVE Holiday World. They really do care about the patrons and that is amazing.

Voyage = Bliss for me. Yeah - it's crazy, psychotic, a bit rough, and all over the place, but man-oh-man do I find it awesome. I can't really marathon it (4 rides in a row would be about it for me at one time) but that's part of what I like about it.

Paula - thank you ever so much for keeping us up to date on everything and responding in this thread. This is what I meant about Holiday World caring! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks with the TPR Middle America tour.

David

Wisconsin Dells Fanatic

Postby traincrossin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:42 pm

From Holiday World's Twitter.
New lift-hill chain gearbox on-order for Legend. Will probably take a few days to procure & install. Sorry! #HW

Link
13 - Gatekeeper
14 - Millennium Force

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby mightypotato » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 pm

traincrossin wrote:So Raven went from two trains to one and Voyage from one to two to help with capacity. Just clearing things up :)

I wondered why Raven was only running one train when I was there in June. That makes so much more sense now.

As for the Wildebeest queue, it was most definitely a nasty one. Concrete + blistering sun + no shade for half the line = not happy me. That said, once I got on the ride, I forgot about the queue since Wildebeest is just so freakin' awesome.

I loved Holiday World and am quite sad that it's so far away from me. Otherwise, I'd be going there all the time.

EDIT: I also want to say thanks to Holiday World for selling Voyage's PTC trains to Darien Lake. Predator is soooooo much better because of it.
Parks: 55, Steel: 234, Wood: 72, Total: 306
I ain't afraid of no rollycoaster!

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:28 am

Wow, I guess I got really lucky with Holiday World...other than Liberty Launch being down every ride was open and the weather was gorgeous. Im glad we went on Tuesday and not next Tuesday like originally planned. Also, those who are saying Voyage is rough, I have no idea what yall are talking about. It is really smooth but just extremely aggresive, which is why it is soo amazing. Sad to see Legend go down though, I liked it almost as much as Voyage.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:02 am

^Maybe your extra padding helps? ;)

Sorry, but it's 'extreme agressiveness' that you admit to beats the shit out of me.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:36 am

You definitelt make a good point, as I can see how a smaller person than myself could get beat up by all of the throwing around that occurs. I just dont get why people says its rough...there is a difference between rough and aggressiveness! I guess being a larger rider isnt a bad thing :)

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:20 pm

I've ridden rides that are more "aggressive" that the Voyage that aren't as rough. Yes, the Voyage has lots of sudden changes in direction and high g forces, but so do other intense rides such as untrimmed i305, X, and El Toro. However, on The Voyage those tight turns are also just plain old bumpy. There's a definite vibration on The Voyage that just kills my neck, back, and head that the other rides I listed don't have.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Holiday World has sent us a press release about their latest award for one of their park's newest additions, Wildebeest.

The world's longest water coaster will be named one of "America's Five Best Roller Coasters" during Saturday's "The Early Show" on CBS network.

"Wildebeest instantly became the most popular ride in the park the day it opened back in May," says Matt Eckert, Holiday World & Splashin' Safari's general manager. "We're thrilled that travel expert Peter Greenberg chose Wildebeest as one of his top picks."

One-third of a mile long, Wildebeest begins with a conveyor ride up the water coaster’s lifthill. Following the four-story drop at a 45-degree angle, linear induction motors propel the four-person boats up seven additional hills, through two underground tunnels, and around a helix. Wildebeest covers more than two acres; its top speed is 36 feet per second. Wildebeest’s tallest elevation is 64 feet higher than its lowest drop; the conveyor-style lifthill replaces any slide-tower stairs, making the water coaster accessible to riders who might have difficulty walking up stairs.

CBS Travel Editor Peter Greenberg will announce his choice for "America's Five Best Roller Coasters" tomorrow morning during the 8:00 am EDT (7:00 am CDT) half-hour on "The Early Show."

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari are open daily through August 15 and then select weekends through October 10. For more information, see the park's website at HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:12 pm

SharkTums wrote:Sorry, but it's 'extreme agressiveness' that you admit to beats the poo-poo out of me.

Yep.

But congrats on the award, Holiday World! Wildebeest is a really fun ride, and an excellent addition to the park.
Last edited by DBru on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:15 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!