Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby yournamehere » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:44 pm

downunder wrote:This sounds like a really positive development for I305, hopefully I'll be able to get down there next year and check it out.

Does anyone have a feel for what impact I305 had on attandance at KD this year?

it was a lot busier than last year so I would say it had a positive effect.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby braztaz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:17 pm

redfoot12 wrote:^Possibly 4?
1)Opening weekend version
2)Trims
3) New restraints
4) 2011 version

Trims and new restraints wouldn't count, since the ride wasn't actually altered. Trims are added and taken off of rides all the time.
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:34 pm

^Agreed but we're talking about Jeff Johnson credits.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Gigalyte » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:42 pm

If a 300+ foot coaster doesn't have a positive affect on attendance then something is seriously wrong lol

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm

yournamehere wrote:
downunder wrote:This sounds like a really positive development for I305, hopefully I'll be able to get down there next year and check it out.

Does anyone have a feel for what impact I305 had on attandance at KD this year?

it was a lot busier than last year so I would say it had a positive effect.

I heard the park was making millions (of dollars) more than predicted... (rumor) but sounds legit.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:26 am

(first post ... Hi!)

RE: attendance, definitely was more crowded. Still plenty of times it wasn't actually crowded, but comparatively, absolutely. I think change started as soon as the announcement in '09, oddly enough.

robbalvey wrote:When you are building a ride as big as i305, that in many ways was a prototype, you should expect changes, even as big as pieces of track being replaced. This is not something new, and happens more often than you think.

Yeah but here we're talking about something like 500' of track being replaced by 600' of track!

To answer the question, I'm sure the park and Intamin have worked something out, and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't part of the original contract for the ride.

One thing to consider is it is in Intamin's benefit to try experiments and learn from them, although this is a biggie. 305 certainly isn't that last gigantic or intense coaster they intend to build.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:58 am

^There have been as large (or larger) reprofile projects in the past. Three come to mind:

1. Removal of a big chunk of the long-defunct Drachen Fire at BGW (slight improvement)
2. The transformation of Kennywood's Steel Phantom into the Phantom's Revenge (which made a really bad ride into a great one)
3. Removal of the loop from Son of Beast (which didn't help at all)
Last edited by cfc on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:11 am.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:02 pm

A few members of KDFansite got the chance to go to Kings Dominion to check out Intimidator 305's construction, markers for the new Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular, rides/cars in storage, and the whole Wave Swinger gone...

http://www.kdfansite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1722

An update video is supposedly coming soon and will be uploaded to Kings Dominion's YouTube page, youtube.com/kingsdominiontv.

:mickey: Only 3 months and 18 days until the new version of Intimidator 305 opens!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Something tells me though that even if the widening of the turn means no trims, and making an awesome ride even better, the new complaint is going to be "The turn is too wide!"

I certainly do look forward to seeing how this ride will be next year though after they make the adjustments to it though. Might be willing to go opening day even.

-Gary
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Brashnir » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 pm

carolinacaniac wrote:Something tells me though that even if the widening of the turn means no trims, and making an awesome ride even better, the new complaint is going to be "The turn is too wide!"

I certainly do look forward to seeing how this ride will be next year though after they make the adjustments to it though. Might be willing to go opening day even.

-Gary

Well, I don't think "the turn is too wide" would be much of a worthwhile complaint, but seeing the things people do complain about, I wouldn't say it's impossible that SOMEONE on the entirety of the internet would have such a complaint.

So let's play, "predict the complaints."

Realistically, I can see several areas where we might see complaints, but they depends on exactly how this reprofile enlarges the turn. If they go with the quick and dirty method of simply adding straight track to extend the entry and exit points of the turn enough to fit the increased radius, someone will inevitably complain that these straight sections are "boring."

If they go with a better (and more fitting with the rest of the ride) method of a slight (10-degrees?) left turn at the bottom of the drop into a rollover to the right, followed by a wider 290 degree right turn, ending in another roll left and another 10-degree left turn exiting and pulling up into the 150-foot hill, people might complain that the transitions are too violent (hopefully they won't be, but you never know.) Side Note - If done right, these transitions could also be spots where they could engineer in little extra hops of airtime, which would make a great ride even better.

Even if the reprofile is perfect and the trims are removed from the first drop completely, the ride will likely still need to be trimmed somewhere. On opening day last year, it was trimmed on the up-slope of the "third" hill. I don't think enlarging the turn will scrub off enough speed to completely remove a need for slowing the ride down prior to the rather violent transition right near the end of the ride, which was the most aggressive spot in the ride in all configurations. No matter where these trims are placed, somebody will complain about them.

Also, enlarging the turn will inevitably cause the ride to be somewhat (probably very slightly) slower going over the second hill than it was opening day next year. Someone will undoubtedly complain (probably unreasonably) that this "kills" the airtime there. Hell, there were people who complained that this ride had no airtime on opening day last year, despite the sustained 3 seconds of ejector air the ride had going over that hill on opening day.

Did I miss any?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!