TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The crew on Maverick was doing the best I've ever personally seen them do. They had each pair of trains ready to dispatch well in advance of the minimum interval to the point where they were waiting 20 seconds or more until they got dispatch lights.

NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDD!!

Glad you’re still a Millie STAN but I feel betrayed that you picked the blue side of Bemini

I love the off ride video of maverick by the way, you can even tell how fast the crew is dispatching the trains from it!

^^Thanks guys!!

The crew on Maverick was doing the best I've ever personally seen them do. They had each pair of trains ready to dispatch well in advance of the minimum interval to the point where they were waiting 20 seconds or more until they got dispatch lights.

NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDD!!

Glad you’re still a Millie STAN but I feel betrayed that you picked the blue side of Bemini

I love the off ride video of maverick by the way, you can even tell how fast the crew is dispatching the trains from it!

HAHAHA I'm a coaster enthusiast gone full fledged throughput addict! #ROLLTRAINS #1MILLIONRIDERS

And sorry pal, I was feeling Cemini on Sunday!

After this, I think we took a backseat ride on Valravn. I rode on the right edge and Josh told me it was the best seat on the ride prior to dispatch. I definitely agree!

I also loved the back on Valravn; it's just a ton of fun. I'll have to try for that specific seat next time. Getting yanked over the drop from the 3rd row puts a huge smile on my face and makes me laugh the whole way down. For a new coaster, I think it gets overlooked as "new B&M w/ vests = meh," but I thought that aside from some abrupt braking, it's an excellent and comfortable ride. The vests have never tightened whatsoever on my rides, and there's a lot more elbow room over the older B&M trains. Glad you enjoyed the ride, too.

In a previous report up ^^ the page, someone just mentioned being a little exhausted after Wicked Twister. I agree; that back spike remains one of my favorite elements in the park, but it's a sneaky-intense ride. Those pullouts feel tight for how fast you're going, & I wonder how many positive Gs it pulls. I try to hit WT when I'm feeling good (not hungry/thirsty/too hot) because it can really deliver a punch, especially when I opt for the ends of the train.

Thanks for the recent reports, everybody.

Mine Train going all #WhatsInTheShed for Halloween. I hope this is cute and decently done.

CEDAR POINT CHANGING MINE RIDE ROLLER COASTER WITH NEW 'SURPRISES'

The Cedar Creek Mine Ride will now become the Cedar Creek Mystic Mine Ride.

SANDUSKY, Ohio -- Cedar Point is putting a new twist on one of its oldest roller coasters.

The Cedar Creek Mine Ride will now become known as the Cedar Creek Mystic Mine Ride.

Calm down, coaster purists. The name change is only temporary.

It’s being done as a fresh experience for Cedar Point’s annual HalloWeekends, which begins Friday, Sept. 15.

Cedar Point promises the coaster will feature new “special surprises.”

“A section of the ride will be ‘themed,’” spokesperson Tony Clark tells WKYC. “But you’ll have to wait to find out #whatsintheshed…”

His #whatsintheshed tease is a direct connection to the marketing campaign used by sister park Kings Island when promoting the finale of their Mystic Timbers wooden roller coaster. You can learn more about what’s actually in the Kings Island shed HERE.

What awaits riders inside the Cedar Creek Mystic Mine Ride shed is currently a mystery.

We tried, but Clark wouldn’t divulge any additional details.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride is Cedar Point’s second oldest roller coaster. It first opened in 1969.

HAHAHA I'm a coaster enthusiast gone full fledged throughput addict!

So on my Cedar Point trip the other day in line for Blue Streak there was this crazy math whiz kid who barely met the height requirement rattling off the craziest stuff to his Mom without a calculator. Math I surely couldn't do.

(paraphrasing)

"So in the last 10 minutes I've seen 5 trains go by. If each train has 36 seats in 60 minutes it means 1080 people ride every hour. But since there are roughly 3 seats empty per train, you have to subtract 90 people from that count. Now the park is open from 10a-8p, assuming the ride doesn't break, that will mean 9900 people will ride today. Except that the line will probably die down by the end of the night so my numbers are probably off." -- coaster enthusiast in training that's for sure.

So on my Cedar Point trip the other day in line for Blue Streak there was this crazy math whiz kid who barely met the height requirement rattling off the craziest stuff to his Mom without a calculator. Math I surely couldn't do.

(paraphrasing)

"So in the last 10 minutes I've seen 5 trains go by. If each train has 36 seats in 60 minutes it means 1080 people ride every hour. But since there are roughly 3 seats empty per train, you have to subtract 90 people from that count. Now the park is open from 10a-8p, assuming the ride doesn't break, that will mean 9900 people will ride today. Except that the line will probably die down by the end of the night so my numbers are probably off." -- coaster enthusiast in training that's for sure.

And probably a great ride op as well!

^^^ So its already operating with the #mysteryshed???

I almost wonder if they’re gonna keep it a Halloween thing or if it’s successful enough, maybe make it permanent?

Also, thank you all for the new avatar idea. I’m pretty proud of it

Hoping to do a day at CP for a big road trip I'm planning. I went a couple years back and got all the coaster credits (including old Mean Streak), so I'd go for the big ones like Maverick, MF, TTD, and the other side of Gatekeeper, as well as some flats I missed like MaxAir and Power Tower. And, of course, multiple rides on Steel Vengeance.

Anybody know when that's supposed to open, again?

I thought I saw recently that the bunny hops were supposed to be finishing up this week. Anyone know if that ended up being the case? Once they got through with the large elements they really cranked through this thing! I figured it would take much longer to install the track that was inside the structure.

Early planning for next year, 2 adults 3 kids, hotel breakers, lighthouse point, or vrbo? Thanks.

We stayed at Breakers and it was worth it. 3 adults and 2 kids. Having the Perkins, TGI Fridays and ice cream on site was convenient, as well as the arcade. Can't beat the quick access to the park too.

Early planning for next year, 2 adults 3 kids, hotel breakers, lighthouse point, or vrbo? Thanks.

It's not exactly rea$onable, but The Breakers is an great place to stay, so close to the park itself. There is shuttle service to the main gate (and the awesome Famous Dave's BBQ!), but there are two other entry gates within easy walking distance from your room. You get early entry into the park. There's a BEACH nearby too! Swimming pool for all, and adults jacuzzi. Great in-hotel bar (Surf Lounge!). Restaurants were iffy though, as they (Perkins & Japanese Rest.) closed literally the same time as the park. Exception was TGIF's. When we were there, beginning of June. We were sent (drove) to a very easy to find place for supplies, for in room snacking and stuff for the nice fridge in room, too.

Hope that helps.

P.S. If you already know roughly when this once in a lifetime trip for your family is, start saving now! They have a payment plan for The Breakers (over a three month period, after initial payment. So that's four payments, I guess. But it worked for me, when I organized Bert's and my trip there.)

IMG_3835.JPG.17b465e7e4b6284556c2a6808c43ca5a.JPG

I loved this view, coming out of the hotel, to the park. Which was to the right. (o: June 3, 2017 ~ 0920

(FTR: I've only stayed @ Breakers since the renovation in 2015.)

Personally, I think Breakers is actually reasonable considering everything that comes with it. Sure, the hotel itself is not a luxury resort but it does a damn good job of trying to make it feel like one. With park and waterpark included (and early entry) you do the math and the rooms are really not that expensive. And I realize its still considerably more expensive that the sh*t motels you can get out in Sandusky but Breakers is pretty nice. You're right on a really nice beach, with pools, hot tubs, plenty of half decent places to eat, and that easy 5 minute walk to get into to the park and back into your room at the end of the day (or pit stops throughout your day) really is priceless. Pack your own food and have a cooler/the hotel fridge to eat from all day/weekend. Saves so much $$. I've said it before but I don't think I could ever go to CP again and not stay there. We even splurged on a two-room $uite, and it was totally worth the cost.

If you have Platinum Passes then I see no reason to stay at Cedar Point. If you don't, then stay on property because Early Entry is amazing. Without that by the time you get in the park you'll already be dealing with long lines for most of the major attractions. With Early Entry it's possible to knock out some of the best rides in the park with minimal wait times.

We really need a little more information though. Are you looking to splurge? Are you looking to do this on a budget? Are you looking to do the beach or Cedar Point shores? Are you looking to take breaks in the middle of the day and go back to the room / pool? There are a lot of things to consider here.

This weekend is PointFest, so there will be extra business Saturday for the concert.

Ugh...

This looks to be a Christian rock concert. When I used to work at Darien Lake we had Kingdom Bound (3 day Christian concert) and it was the worst week of the year. We actually got called in early (lifeguards) to stand guard over the wave pool at 9am while they did baptisms. That water was so vile without the waves on to break up the clouds of hair/weaves/band-aids/hair gel...I felt disgusted watching them dip their heads in. The amount of teens busted for shoplifting and trying to hook up was crazy, security always dreaded that week.

The best part was the park had to cover all the signage for Viper due to complaints from the event organizers about "serpents" in the park. They put a temporary sign out front and changed the name of the ride, it was ridiculous.

Guess I'd rather just deal with the crowds on a busier Halloweekends night than deal with the Christian rock crowd.