TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

That's impressive if Steel Vengeance is getting that kind of buzz in and outside of Ohio. Here in SoCal probably 3/4 of the people I talk to still don't even know about Twisted Colossus.

I know everyone's been saying this and it couldn't be more true for coaster enthusiasts but are we sure it's true for everyone else? I obviously don't have my finger on the pulse of Northern Ohio but is there really any more buzz about this than there was for Valravn or Gatekeeper among non-enthusiasts? Are people talking about Steel Vengeance around the water cooler when they're not busy sh*tting bricks about LeBron most likely leaving again?

I thought the same thing, Bill. I'm curious how an improved existing roller coaster will stack up against a new roller coaster. We all know how great the transformation is, but I still believe it might take seeing it in person to convince a lot of people. I'm looking forward to see what happens and I hope the Cedar Point has great success with this addition. It will be definite kudos to the marketing team if the turn out for Steel Vengeance surpasses Valravn and Gate Keeper. It will also say a lot about the park's growth and increasing popularity.

On a separate note, I hate how Cedar Fair is starting to turn their new coasters into fairy tales. Mystic Timbers and the forbidden lumberyard or whatever it is, Twisted Timbers and the haunted apple orchard and now steel vengeance and the the revenge of Maverick with the 3 characters. It’s all just too corny for me.

It's not my cup of tea either. I agree that it makes my somewhat self-conscious personality feel even a little more dorky about this hobby. Even so, people seem to enjoy it and these little themeing and story elements also appear to be appreciated by coaster lovers. If it's for the greater good I'm all for it.

A few like-aged coworkers have no idea about this ride. The subject came up when they saw my Fury mug in a meeting, which somehow led to Mean Streak and how they tore it down and such.. They no idea something else was built and it's opening in a few weeks. There was about six of them, nobody had a clue. Some know something is going on with it, but when I tell them about the ride, when it's opening and all that... They are shocked.

Almost anyone I talk to has little idea of Steel Vengeance it seems, which is weird especially in Cleveland. Then I have even seen comments on photos and such how people are concerned how much it will hurt, thinking it will ride like Mean Streak.

I don't think it will have the "star power" at launch like Gate Keeper, Maverick, Valravn... Just because of the conversion and the ride it replaced. Still will be packed, i'm sure... But just from my experience with the "GP" and them having no clue what's going on with the ride, I think it will be slightly more mellow in weird way.

Just outside of DC here and I have had countless non-coaster people, friends, and acquaintances of mine - most of them haven't been to a theme park in 20 years - ask me about Steel Vengeance and if I've ridden it yet. Evidently it is very well talked about here but I have no idea where they're finding out about it. Online maybe? Must be. In fact, it's more talked about than Twisted Timbers... which is only 90 minutes down the road and there are KD commercials playing on TV all the time!!

So Ohio people are clueless but out-of-state people who live nowhere near Cedar Point are well-informed and psyched for this ride. Why does that not surprise me?

I was originally going to go this weekend but canceled my plans when I decided to go to the First Rider Benefit. I'll feel some type of way if the lines end up being not that bad and I turned down the chance to ride it again by not going this weekend, but I'll feel some sort of sick satisfaction if the lines end up being horrendous while I sit at home at my computer gawking at them.

So Ohio people are clueless but out-of-state people who live nowhere near Cedar Point are well-informed and psyched for this ride. Why does that not surprise me?

Well sh*t they need to hurry up and find out about it so they can cut the sleeves and sides out of their Steel Vengeance T shirts in time for opening day. Otherwise they might be forced to show up on a 70 degree opening day with complete T shirts and that would be tragic.

Seriously: WTF Ohio? Why do you all do that? What even is that?

Steel Vengeance is undoubtedly buzzworthy—best-in-class on paper, and it takes good advantage of social media, but Millennium Force felt like international news and pop culture. I know this is all subjective, but given that Cedar Point had the AOL era of the internet to work with, it's impressive that the coaster is all I seemed to hear about in 1999.

Today it's easy to plunge into communities where everyone is dialed into a new coaster, but I remember MF being discussed by my grandparents, strangers at church in South Carolina, GP guests in line at Disneyland, friends at a baseball game, neighbors who never go to amusement parks, talk radio, local news, etc.

Tallest & fastest full-circuit and smashing 300 ft. also felt like gargantuan leaps forward for the industry; no Superman tower gimmick. On that note, California vs. Ohio (Magic Mountain vs. Cedar Point in particular) felt like a prize fight being duked out on Discovery Channel specials. It's hard to compare that era to this one, but it's crazy how much hype there was for MF without social media being what it is today.

On a separate note, I hate how Cedar Fair is starting to turn their new coasters into fairy tales. Mystic Timbers and the forbidden lumberyard or whatever it is, Twisted Timbers and the haunted apple orchard and now steel vengeance and the the revenge of Maverick with the 3 characters. It’s all just too corny for me.

It's not my cup of tea either. I agree that it makes my somewhat self-conscious personality feel even a little more dorky about this hobby. Even so, people seem to enjoy it and these little themeing and story elements also appear to be appreciated by coaster lovers. If it's for the greater good I'm all for it.

I think they're very hit or miss. Most of them are cheesy add-ons that no one will remember or even ever know about, but some aren't bad once you dig into the backstory a bit, especially on the smaller coasters. Even though I'm assuming it was mainly so you had something to look at while they were intentionally stacking two trains, I actually really liked the creativity of Mystic Timbers' backstory once I read into it. But that was just it, I had to actively research it, the first few times I rode it I was lost. While a nice touch (I guess?), TT and SV definitely are different breeds that don't need any supporting backstories to make them better.

I am torn if I want to pre-order FL+ for the following weekend (the 11th and 12th) or wait. The weather forecast is looking like rain possibly on Friday and Saturday so I think I should hold out.

But if that changes in the next week to sunny or even partly cloudy, I may very well reserve it online because I know that the line for SV is likely going to stretch all the way through the entire Frontier Trail.

That alone will be worth the $$$ and this could very well turn into a quick sellout of FL+ because most people will be thinking the same thing.

Our plan for monstrous lines are use our platinum perks, be there on weekdays, and fl+. I'm thinking Coastermania will allow the enthusiast community to get a good number of laps in, either way.

All the folks I talk to in North Dakota, 1 in 5 have heard of Cedar Point, and think Wild Thing at Valley Fair is the best thing ever. Haven't talked to anybody yet who's heard about Steel Vengeance, and I've been chatting it up since Fall of 2016. The folks at work think I'm crazy. If there was a GP heat map - North Dakota would be very warm.

Anyone else notice on the videos how convincing the head/arm choppers are? Even seasoned riders withdraw their limbs a bit.

Here you go (Steel Vengeance Funpix video):

It gave us the wrong train on the account, though. So hopefully they fix that. It's similar style to the Mystic Timbers video. Taking a freeze frame of this video is better than the actual still camera photo placement which doesn't capture at a good angle. Like others have said, hands down for the photo would probably be best.

Also right now it doesn't let you edit the crop, placement, brightness, or purchase any items on the FunPix account like all other photos. So keep that in mind, you might want to talk to the actual employee and have them adjust as needed and have them apply it to your account rather than doing the kiosk. Hopefully they fix that, too.

Edited by anonymouscactus

A few like-aged coworkers have no idea about this ride. The subject came up when they saw my Fury mug in a meeting, which somehow led to Mean Streak and how they tore it down and such.. They no idea something else was built and it's opening in a few weeks. There was about six of them, nobody had a clue. Some know something is going on with it, but when I tell them about the ride, when it's opening and all that... They are shocked.

Almost anyone I talk to has little idea of Steel Vengeance it seems, which is weird especially in Cleveland. Then I have even seen comments on photos and such how people are concerned how much it will hurt, thinking it will ride like Mean Streak.

I don't think it will have the "star power" at launch like Gate Keeper, Maverick, Valravn... Just because of the conversion and the ride it replaced. Still will be packed, i'm sure... But just from my experience with the "GP" and them having no clue what's going on with the ride, I think it will be slightly more mellow in weird way.

Just outside of DC here and I have had countless non-coaster people, friends, and acquaintances of mine - most of them haven't been to a theme park in 20 years - ask me about Steel Vengeance and if I've ridden it yet. Evidently it is very well talked about here but I have no idea where they're finding out about it. Online maybe? Must be. In fact, it's more talked about than Twisted Timbers... which is only 90 minutes down the road and there are KD commercials playing on TV all the time!!

I was originally going to go this weekend but canceled my plans when I decided to go to the First Rider Benefit. I'll feel some type of way if the lines end up being not that bad and I turned down the chance to ride it again by not going this weekend, but I'll feel some sort of sick satisfaction if the lines end up being horrendous while I sit at home at my computer gawking at them.

I've had people in Minnesota tag me in Cedar Point posts over this coaster. It appears this ride has a pretty wide reach.

Steel Vengeance is undoubtedly buzzworthy—best-in-class on paper, and it takes good advantage of social media, but Millennium Force felt like international news and pop culture. I know this is all subjective, but given that Cedar Point had the AOL era of the internet to work with, it's impressive that the coaster is all I seemed to hear about in 1999.

Today it's easy to plunge into communities where everyone is dialed into a new coaster, but I remember MF being discussed by my grandparents, strangers at church in South Carolina, GP guests in line at Disneyland, friends at a baseball game, neighbors who never go to amusement parks, talk radio, local news, etc.

Tallest & fastest full-circuit and smashing 300 ft. also felt like gargantuan leaps forward for the industry; no Superman tower gimmick. On that note, California vs. Ohio (Magic Mountain vs. Cedar Point in particular) felt like a prize fight being duked out on Discovery Channel specials. It's hard to compare that era to this one, but it's crazy how much hype there was for MF without social media being what it is today.

But now it feels like Cedar Fair is putting more money into it's prime parks: Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point, Mystic Timbers at Kings Island, Twisted Timbers at Kings Dominion, Mack Launch Coaster at Carowinds, Rail Blazer at CGA. These seems like big adds. Six Flags hasn't done much with their California, NJ, and IL parks over the past few years unless something is in the works this year.

It seems like Cedar Point opening a new coaster generates more buzz than other parks. I am really interested to see what the lines are like in May for this ride. I really think it is going to be tough to top. Hoping it doesn't turn into Flight of Passage with 4-5 hour wait times.

I am sure MF would have generated the same buzz back in the day as I am sure that Magnum XL-200 would have as well as that was the first coaster over 200 feet.

I presume an employee will be on hand watching folks who'll be queuing either side of the level crossing as the barriers go up & down throughout opening weekend. Hopefully somebody gets this amusing spectacle on video.

It might be easier not to run the train at all in the first few days.

Went to the Wednesday evening Hoedown event and I must say I loved it. Very well thought out and an amazing perk for being a passholder. I hope this becomes a tradition for the park as the event is a winner. All the new BBQ offerings were very good and I'm excited for the future of CP food service if this is a sign of an ongoing overhaul.

Waited a total of 3 hours to ride Steel Vengeance due to multiple periods of downtime. A good portion of which involved the lap bars not releasing when the trains would park and the operators having to manually release the riders. If I wasn't standing at the air gates I may not have waited it out but I persevered knowing that 3 hours will most likely be the average stand by wait this summer. This may be the first ride that motivates me to splurge on a FL+ at my home park.

The 3 hour wait was worth it however. Steel Vengeance is my new favorite ride at CP and probably going to be my new "#1" (I don't keep rankings).

Once CP and RMC can work the bugs out that are plaguing their restraints this ride could be perfect! But I won't worry too much about issues popping up on the 5th overall day of operation.

I agree. The hype level for that ride was so ridiculously off the charts that I don't think we'll ever see anything like it ever again. The fact that there were multiple cable channels pumping out coaster show after coaster show talking about the "coaster arms race" was really helping to push it. I'm pretty sure Paul Ruben (I'm still not sure who the hell that dude is) was on TV more than the president was back then.

So, my son has been talking about SV all winter. This discussion has hyped him up even more, to the point that we are making the 8 hour drive from St Louis for a one day coaster con with ACE on May 12 for his birthday. That will be drive up on Friday, CP on Sat, and home on Sun......school isn't quite done for either one of us so we have no extra days to spare. There is going to be an after hours ert session on SV and hopefully it will be up and running although from the reports it seems it has been fairly reliable so far. He is still pissed about going to Dollywood with Grandpa and not making it onto LRod

It's pretty much unheard of for any coaster by any manufacturer to go a full day without a breakdown on it's opening day. People need to set their expectations accordingly here.

Honestly I think it's reasonable to expect that you'll spend half of your day waiting for this thing on Opening Day this year. If it's less, great. If that sounds like too much of a time investment then buy Fastlane (but don't be the guy that shows up and complains when you pay for platinum and half of the regular and platinum Fastlane rides are closed most of the day... if you go to Cedar Point opening day you should expect this going in).

It's pretty much unheard of for any coaster by any manufacturer to go a full day without a breakdown on it's opening day. People need to set their expectations accordingly here.

Honestly I think it's reasonable to expect that you'll spend half of your day waiting for this thing on Opening Day this year. If it's less, great. If that sounds like too much of a time investment then buy Fastlane (but don't be the guy that shows up and complains when you pay for platinum and half of the regular and platinum Fastlane rides are closed most of the day... if you go to Cedar Point opening day you should expect this going in).

Yep! That's why we are going when there is ERT, more likely we will get on, even though it will be just the second weekend then.

All the talk of the hype for a new coaster reminds me of 1976 when the Screaming Eagle opened at SFStl. It might be a classic cherished old woodie now but for a very brief time it was a world record holder and I can remember when it opened lines were 2-3 hours long, for a woodie, before any sort of social media. It was super hyped up on the local news at that time.

BRACE.jpg.8e9348d9081ea76a5a7e0120cc6a94af.jpg