TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Even stranger... we’re having fire/dry wind warnings in Chicagoland with some brush fires tiday!

On a coaster related note, the B&M flyer in Japan had a shutdown and it made the news here! Not really news...

Am I missing how either of these two things relate to Cedar Point in any way?

I figured it was distantly related to what we were talking about… CP and Steel Vengeance commercials on Chicago TV.

giphy.gif

To get back on topic, I recently learned that Anne Irvine-Ondrey, from Irvine-Ondrey engineering, has accumulated approximately 101 rides, probably far more now. She was kind enough to sit down with CoasterRadio.com and discuss her motive behind the marathoning. Her home park was Cedar Point growing up, and she is the first to break over 100 rides on Steel Vengeance.

Rob, have you interviewed or met Anne at IAAPA?

For those that go to Cedar Point a lot, what would you expect he lines to be like on Sunday, May 20th, Monday May 21st, and Tuesday May 22nd. I figure we will see reports leading up to those days. I figure that weekdays in May have to be the best time to visit this year.

I definitely think the wait on opening will be 6-8 hours. With the hype that the coaster is receiving, i can see the park beating Gatekeepers opening weekend, which is apparently their most successful opening weekend in the history of the park.

That will be one of the new world records for SV - longest line!

I am tempted to go earlier rather than later, but I prefer to get some re-rides. Late summer might be better than the next couple weeks for that?

^^I was actually in line for the back row, my last ride of the night on SV at the First Rider Benefit, and Anne Irvine Ondrey and Brian Ondrey were just ahead of us in line! They were engrossed in conversation with the single rider in-between us, but it was still pretty cool to see them there riding!

Also, to chime in on the FL merge spot convo, it does merge before the ramp, and both the left and right side of the ramp are for anybody.

I am guessing the line will be over 3 hours more like 4 to 5

While it's tough to predict wait times for a ride that's never opened, the park has a brand new ride and (maybe more importantly) it's going to be 70 degrees and sunny for Cedar Point opening day. That never happens. It seems like it's usually 20-30 degrees colder on opening day and usually much windier too.

I would expect RIDICULOUS wait times.

For reference, Gatekeepers opening weekend was horrid. The weather was in the 40s with off and on sleet all day. The park was booming all day with 3-4 hour waits on Gatekeeper, a ride which was nowhere near as anticipated as SV.

So, that being said, the most anticipated ride in years, maybe ever, plus absolutely beautiful perfect weather..... You're looking at some very very very long lines.

the most anticipated ride in years, maybe ever

I know everyone's been saying this and it couldn't be more true for coaster enthusiasts but are we sure it's true for everyone else? I obviously don't have my finger on the pulse of Northern Ohio but is there really any more buzz about this than there was for Valravn or Gatekeeper among non-enthusiasts? Are people talking about Steel Vengeance around the water cooler when they're not busy sh*tting bricks about LeBron most likely leaving again?

gatekeeper.thumb.jpg.2411397acb2cf23532469c66b591db04.jpg

Here is the photo of Gatekeeper's line I shot a couple of hours after opening on the first day. Yes, you can see it stretches all the way down the midway and then comes back. I believe the line was 4-6 hours if memory serves correctly.

[attachment=0]gatekeeper.jpg[/attachment]

Here is the photo of Gatekeeper's line I shot a couple of hours after opening on the first day. Yes, you can see it stretches all the way down the midway and then comes back. I believe the line was 4-6 hours if memory serves correctly.

holeeee crap!

was FL+ a thing at this time? (or was it even offered for opening weekend of the new coaster)?

I know everyone's been saying this and it couldn't be more true for coaster enthusiasts but are we sure it's true for everyone else? I obviously don't have my finger on the pulse of Northern Ohio but is there really any more buzz about this than there was for Valravn or Gatekeeper among non-enthusiasts? Are people talking about Steel Vengeance around the water cooler when they're not busy sh*tting bricks about LeBron most likely leaving again?

I wouldn't say it's a crazy amount of buzz, but more than Valravn and Gatekeeper. People see my SV shirt and ask immediately if I've ridden it yet and asking how it was. It's then usually followed by "Holy crap I can't wait to ride that thing"

And these are mostly people that are as far away from being an enthusiast as possible.

The longest line I’ve ever seen was The first weekend Millennium Force was open where the line stretched all the way back to the entrance of Thunder Canyon.

On a separate note, I hate how Cedar Fair is starting to turn their new coasters into fairy tales. Mystic Timbers and the forbidden lumberyard or whatever it is, Twisted Timbers and the haunted apple orchard and now steel vengeance and the the revenge of Maverick with the 3 characters. It’s all just too corny for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any ideas for what crowds would be like Friday for Ohio state day?

It was packed during the last one I went to. Looked like a typical weekend day.

Edited by robbalvey

I appreciate it. FastLane may be the way to go since they are offering it lol

I wouldn't say it's a crazy amount of buzz, but more than Valravn and Gatekeeper. People see my SV shirt and ask immediately if I've ridden it yet and asking how it was. It's then usually followed by "Holy crap I can't wait to ride that thing"

And these are mostly people that are as far away from being an enthusiast as possible.

A few like-aged coworkers have no idea about this ride. The subject came up when they saw my Fury mug in a meeting, which somehow led to Mean Streak and how they tore it down and such.. They no idea something else was built and it's opening in a few weeks. There was about six of them, nobody had a clue. Some know something is going on with it, but when I tell them about the ride, when it's opening and all that... They are shocked.

Almost anyone I talk to has little idea of Steel Vengeance it seems, which is weird especially in Cleveland. Then I have even seen comments on photos and such how people are concerned how much it will hurt, thinking it will ride like Mean Streak.

I don't think it will have the "star power" at launch like Gate Keeper, Maverick, Valravn... Just because of the conversion and the ride it replaced. Still will be packed, i'm sure... But just from my experience with the "GP" and them having no clue what's going on with the ride, I think it will be slightly more mellow in weird way.

I appreciate it. FastLane may be the way to go since they are offering it lol

Yep. I had FL on the last Ohio Day I was at and I absoultely needed it!

In Buffalo I have actually had a lot of random people mention that they saw the new ride on the news etc. Whether they knew I was an enthusiast or not, it it came up in conversation when I mentioned I was going to pass holder preview a few days ago so Media Day made it's round even here being 4 hours away. Other people just happened to bring it up. They all think the ride is crazy / I'm crazy for going. Everyone on Tuesday when I came back into work was asking how it was, so at least at my workplace there is quite a bit of buzz :-P

PS: ride is nuts. lol.

I know everyone's been saying this and it couldn't be more true for coaster enthusiasts but are we sure it's true for everyone else?... Are people talking about Steel Vengeance around the water cooler when they're not busy sh*tting bricks about LeBron most likely leaving again?

Just outside of DC here and I have had countless non-coaster people, friends, and acquaintances of mine - most of them haven't been to a theme park in 20 years - ask me about Steel Vengeance and if I've ridden it yet. Evidently it is very well talked about here but I have no idea where they're finding out about it. Online maybe? Must be. In fact, it's more talked about than Twisted Timbers... which is only 90 minutes down the road and there are KD commercials playing on TV all the time!!

Steel Vengeance will open many's eyes to the new technologies that are being incorporated in the community.

I will say, it's quite obnoxious to listen to countless uneducated, fanboy garbage (cough... cough... Instagam).

I definitely think the wait on opening will be 6-8 hours. With the hype that the coaster is receiving, i can see the park beating Gatekeepers opening weekend, which is apparently their most successful opening weekend in the history of the park.

That will be one of the new world records for SV - longest line!

I am tempted to go earlier rather than later, but I prefer to get some re-rides. Late summer might be better than the next couple weeks for that?

When valravn opened a few year ago, I went their first week of daily operations, and only waited an 1 and 45 minutes for valravn. But with SV, it'll probably be worse. So I'd wait till like August or so to go out.