TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

In general, the "footer" you see attached to the ride is part of a much larger "foundation" that is under the ground. The water table and depth to bedrock will determine the sizes of these foundations. There are times where the footer and foundation are one single block of concrete, and times when you have several footers on one single foundation.

Even though it's a small observation, I was shocked that the Sky Ride started operating around 7 pm, it hadn't ran one gondola all day. Most parks wouldn't worry about spending the money on the man power to run a ride like that towards the end of the evening, but CP did it. It makes me happy when I get to fly to a Cedar Fair ran park.

That's not a small observation at all, everything involving Sky Ride is a major observation.

Lol, probably bad choice of words. I meant that as in I observed that they actually got it up and running when I would never have expected them too. It's a great ride for the sights for sure!

Just looked at the webcam and they just poured a huge footer for the lift! In the renderings it is covered up with sod, I wonder if they'll actually do that?

I'm hoping the photo below will help clear up any confusion for you. In the main photo you can see what will be a HUGE concrete slab. Coming out of the concrete slab you can see what looks like they will be the "footers" that we see actually sticking out of the ground...

So the main giant concrete slab will end up being covered with dirt, and grass, and the only thing that will be sticking out will be the small "footers" that we see sticking out of the grass on most roller coasters.

Source.

Like you can kind of see in this photo,(leftish bottomish part of the photo) where the main part of the conceret is covered by dirt, while there is the "footer" part you can tell will still sticking out of the grass.

Source.

Then the end result will look like the photo below, with the main "huge" concrete part underground.

Source.

Granted I am not 100% positive this is how that works, but I am pretty sure it is!

Does this make sense?? (I hope it does)

As you see in the animation, and based on other recent B&M installations, the brake run will primarily be magnetic braking, with friction brakes only being used in places that will need to stop the train completely. The slope prevents the train from slowing down to a point where kicker wheels are needed to move it forward at a reasonable speed. Plus, unlike Intamin eddy brakes, B&M does not have the ability to retract the magnetic brakes away from the train.

As you see in the animation, and based on other recent B&M installations, the brake run will primarily be magnetic braking, with friction brakes only being used in places that will need to stop the train completely. The slope prevents the train from slowing down to a point where kicker wheels are needed to move it forward at a reasonable speed. Plus, unlike Intamin eddy brakes, B&M does not have the ability to retract the magnetic brakes away from the train.

Yes, they do. Check out Thunderbird.

Other recent dive machines have used the same.

Yes, they do. Check out Thunderbird.

Other recent dive machines have used the same.

I don't think Thunderbird is a good example as it uses a magnetic propulsion system as well. The brakes would have a different arrangement on the vehicle in that case. I have not seen newer dive coasters recently.