TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Yes the preview piece was moved and installed yesterday.

I saw it happen around 2:00, they used the yellow crane an a fork lift truck to move the piece.

Also I think that they will need to remove some more trees to finish the brake run.

Well, they just went ahead and put a new piece of track in the preview center.

Does that mean since the inclined brake run is continuosly moving, that it does not act as a block and only the transfer will be counted as so? Or will traditional brakes be alongside the magnetic ones after the intial slowdown area?

I'd assume it would be similar to SheiKra's brake run that uses LIMs to slow the train down quickly and smoothly, and then friction brakes after that. Otherwise that's going to be a really long 1 block brake run.

And for anyone who is curious, this is the new track piece in the preview center. . . Also, it's interesting to me that they have barriers around this piece when they didn't have them around the last piece.

valravn.png.681e03026151881e1b1de3ed66cc9b42.png

^ Yes the preview piece was moved and installed yesterday.

I saw it happen around 2:00, they used the yellow crane an a fork lift truck to move the piece.

Also I think that they will need to remove some more trees to finish the brake run.

Well, they just went ahead and put a new piece of track in the preview center.

I saw that they did that during my afternoon break at work.

This time it looks like they won't let you touch the track, from a picture I saw on Facebook.

Does that mean since the inclined brake run is continuosly moving, that it does not act as a block and only the transfer will be counted as so? Or will traditional brakes be alongside the magnetic ones after the intial slowdown area?

I'd assume it would be similar to SheiKra's brake run that uses LIMs to slow the train down quickly and smoothly, and then friction brakes after that. Otherwise that's going to be a really long 1 block brake run.

And for anyone who is curious, this is the new track piece in the preview center. . . Also, it's interesting to me that they have barriers around this piece when they didn't have them around the last piece.

Eddy current brakes are not LIM. They are "powered" by the induced current caused by moving through the magnetic field. There are friction brakes at the very end of the brake run. All three trains will fit between the brake run, transfer table, and station.

This piece of track appears to be the first out of the station.

The support connector looks nearly level to me. The next option would be the lead-in to the brake run. I would need to look at the renderings/videos to get a better idea. I'm basing this assumption on the track connectors, as they are taller on the "right" end than the "left" end.

We went there last night and it was definitely busier than most of the other Friday night's that we have gone in the past. Maverick and MF both had hour long waits during the night.

Some observations:

* Loved all of the pumpkins in the area by Power Tower, TTD and up to the Magnum - really cool to see these lit up at night!

* Didn't seem to be nearly as many scare actors on the Frontier Trail as I recall in years past?

* Didn't get to ride Maverick with the new restraints as we didn't want to wait the 1+ hour line

* Really enjoyed Rougarou with the new trains! The first drop in the right back row was a ton of fun and I only bumped my head into the restraint once near the first brake run.

* Liked the interactive area for Valravn. We stayed at Breakers Express and had a nice view of the coaster pieces in the lot next door. Can't wait for 2016!

* Noticed a LOT of advertising for Valravn already in the Sandusky and Cleveland areas. I think this coaster should drawn in some record crowds next year.

* Not sure about the length of wait for TTD because we never bothered to look once we saw that they were leaving the last four rows of seats open on each train. Is this due to colder temperatures? I don't recall seeing this during past Halloweekends when it has been colder.

* Didn't bother going today. Might have been a good day to go because it didn't seem like there were tons of cars heading into the park when we left Breakers Express around 10:45. Might have been the threat of rain scared everyone away?

* They really love their 80's rock music at the Red Garter and Lusty Lil's Halloween shows, don't they?

* MF at night - 'nuff said.

* Not sure about the length of wait for TTD because we never bothered to look once we saw that they were leaving the last four rows of seats open on each train. Is this due to colder temperatures? I don't recall seeing this during past Halloweekends when it has been colder.

If it was later at night before closing they usually rope off rows to avoid rollbacks on the lighter trains. Temp doesn't have too much to do with closing rows, because normally the heavier the load, the better.

^ I think that it was fairly early in the evening (say around 7:30) with temps right around 48. The other big coaster lines were reasonably long so assume that TTD's was probably long as well. Should have went over to check the wait time but didn't bother as I knew my partner wouldn't ride regardless of the wait time.

With the season winding down, perhaps a Cedar Point employee can answer this question. Are the Halloween mazes left intact throughout the year, unless they're being re-themed (except Cornstalkers, of course)? I haven't been during the regular season for a few years but I don't recall the buildings being used for anything during that time.