TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm interested to see if they trade Rougarou or Gatekeeper for Valravn on the additional FL+ rides. I don't see them keeping five rides on FL+ and from what I've heard, there's really no need to keep the two B&M's on that list.

If they are getting rid of one of them I would venture to say that Rougarou will be the one to go and Valravn will replace it.

Rougarou shouldn't even have been on the list this year if we are talking line length. I know there was some hype, but when I went the line wasn't that bad, and I went on a july weekend. I bet they just slid it on the list so anyone who was buying flash pass would think: well I have to ride their new ride, upgrade!

^I think that is just the sun setting on Millennium Force.

^ I think he's just joking.

At least someone caught on.

^I think that is just the sun setting on Millennium Force.

That seriously made me laugh out loud!!!

------------------

Just in case anyone is worried... Millennium Force was NOT on fire... It was a sunset. I just thought it looked like MF was on fire... even though it was obviously not. . . I also thought it was a cool photo to share.

Here today. Apparently maverick has been closed since yesterday? Anyone know what's up? Sorry if this has been a visited topic already. I just wanted to ask really quick since we are walking around lol

It finally opened a little after 7pm! Waited in a line outside the entrance for around a half hour. So glad I got to ride it!

Today was a fun day. Lots of short lines.

I went to CP on Friday night, and had a great time! Night rides are always awesome, and even though the weather was chilly, it wasn't brutal most of the night, and there wasn't any rain.

Having said that, CP was having some trouble getting their Intamins running that night! MF was fine all night, but both TTD and Maverick were down most of the night, with the latter only opening the last couple of hours. Wicked Twister also experienced extensive downtime. Alas, lest B&M escape unscathed, Raptor went down at some point in the middle of the night, and didn't open again. Not sure what exactly was going on, but it was not a banner showing for CP...

In the end, we didn't get to ride TTD or Raptor, but honestly, that didn't bother me much, as we got two rides on GateKeeper (one on each side), and front seat rides on MF, Rougarou, and Maverick (as the last ride of the night!) Additionally, we were able to ride Blue Streak, maXair, and Magnum.

There were two surprises from the trip for me... Firstly, was how awesome Rougarou was at night! It was lit up great, and along with the fog and sound effects, was a great nighttime/halloween coaster experience! Everybody in my group was pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed it, and while we only rode it once due to time constraints, we all wanted to ride it again. The line was walk-up into the station too, which doesn't hurt! With so many of the other coasters down, MF and Magnum had lines that were probably unusually long for a Friday night.

The second surprise from the trip was that as awesome as the front seat ride on MF at night was (and it truly is an amazing experience), I think I actually was even more enthralled by my night ride on Maverick! Whipping through those twists and turns in the darkness, after Midnight, was a perfect way to end the night!

Sorry I don't have any pictures to share, but I'm not much of a photog, and my phone doesn't take very good pictures anyway. Suffice it to say, however, that the park looked great!

Oh, and one last thing I must say... Having now seen the Valravn track in person, in the natural light, I must definitively say that it is a shade of orange! I don't know where anybody ever got brown from, other than the fact that it's more of a "burnt orange" color than the true orange color that Rougarou is. For what it's worth, my three companions on the trip, including a graphic designer who works with colors as a professional for a living, all said it was orange as well. Just sayin'...

Here today. Apparently maverick has been closed since yesterday? Anyone know what's up? Sorry if this has been a visited topic already. I just wanted to ask really quick since we are walking around lol

It finally opened a little after 7pm! Waited in a line outside the entrance for around a half hour. So glad I got to ride it!

Today was a fun day. Lots of short lines.

Oh man!!! We left around 5:30. We rode all we wanted to. We took advantage of renewing our passes and then getting the free FLP so the combination of short lines and fast lane we hardly wait for anything we wanted to ride. So we cut out kind of early. Lol

I have a better appreciation for those who live in the cold climate after Saturday at CP. My fiancee and I had quite the trip! We flew up Friday morning, we'd never been to King's Island so we made the 3 hour drive from Cleveland down there and that was a great time! Then we spent all Saturday at CP and being from Texas...THAT WAS COLD. It was snowing on us in line for Gatekeeper.

I was really hoping the lines would be shorter because of Ohio State football and being cold but nope, the crowd proved me wrong! Still got great rides on MF, Raptor, Gatekeeper, and snuck one on Dragster waiting out one of it's usual technical failures. Maverick sent 5 test trains Saturday morning and stayed down all day. We went back Sunday morning for Early Entry before our plane left at 4 pm and it was still down. I see someone said it FINALLY re-opened, but Maverick and Magnum had a bad day Saturday. A lot of folks were upset for ERT because the park was having some trouble getting their rides going. Gatekeeper was ready right at ERT time, but nothing else was. I wanted one last MF front seat ride before leaving to catch our flight and was able to get it, but rides didn't get going fully till almost 11:30. The cold was very obviously making them run slower, couldn't tell on MF though, all my rides I got on it this year were fantastic!

My only complaint now that I've been there with some brutal temps for riding rides, I only wish they had more covered/heated food places. We ate at Johnny Rockets but it wasn't really warm enough because people kept holding open the doors and the employee taking names had to keep screaming for them to shut the door. Overall though with King's Island and my 2nd trip this year to CP it was another successful trip!....Oh yes...I managed to pick up the Coaster Dynamix models for MF, TTD, and GK Now the long off season begins...I did score some free park tickets out of the Valravn vending machine! So I'm ready for the new year!

Ants Marching by DMB would be a great tune to play to that video!

Glad to hear that Sandusky didn't get the amount of snow we did over the weekend. Calling for a high of 50 and partly sunny on Friday...I still haven't given up hope yet.

Spent Sunday at CP, and thought I would share a few thoughts.

The morning drive from Erie consisted of slush on I-90, so that was a pleasant beginning, but as we made our way though Ohio the temperatures slowly got above 40, the snow melted, and the sun came out in spots. The crowd was fairly light, but a little surprising how they sustained through the day given how the temperatures were pretty chilly, and Sundays on HalloWeekends typically slow down very fast.

We watched Wicked Twister crap the bed early into the day, but not much of a loss. Maverick did not show any signs of life until the early evening. Even as the day came to a close, Maverick limped to the finish with a harness issue, guest illness, and mechanical issue in pretty much consecutive cycles. At least we got the chance to ride, as Maverick is now a hands-up no-worries experience with new harnesses. Rougarou might be the "new" ride for 2015, but Maverick is the dark horse winner of 2015 in which the ride experience is near perfect.

Best Surprise: Millennium Force was running very forceful despite the cold temperatures that can often make it very sluggish. Lots of airtime and great positive g's on the overbanks.

Biggest Letdown: Blue Streak needs some love, and needs it soon. While no one can expect glass smooth from a 3-bench PTC train, the potholes are becoming more and more pronounced over the past couple years. Considering how CP does most of their track work in-house and Mean Streak being in fairly decent shape this year, I hope some resources are coming Blue Streak's way.

Operations overall were doing well despite the obvious lack of staffing due to school being back in session. However, I must thumbs down the very loud, seemingly intentional, belch into the the microphone on Mean Streak. Hats of to the rest of the staff who was pushing through these very difficult last few weeks.

Spent Sunday at CP, and thought I would share a few thoughts.

The morning drive from Erie consisted of slush on I-90, so that was a pleasant beginning, but as we made our way though Ohio the temperatures slowly got above 40, the snow melted, and the sun came out in spots. The crowd was fairly light, but a little surprising how they sustained through the day given how the temperatures were pretty chilly, and Sundays on HalloWeekends typically slow down very fast.

We watched Wicked Twister crap the bed early into the day, but not much of a loss. Maverick did not show any signs of life until the early evening. Even as the day came to a close, Maverick limped to the finish with a harness issue, guest illness, and mechanical issue in pretty much consecutive cycles. At least we got the chance to ride, as Maverick is now a hands-up no-worries experience with new harnesses. Rougarou might be the "new" ride for 2015, but Maverick is the dark horse winner of 2015 in which the ride experience is near perfect.

Best Surprise: Millennium Force was running very forceful despite the cold temperatures that can often make it very sluggish. Lots of airtime and great positive g's on the overbanks.

Biggest Letdown: Blue Streak needs some love, and needs it soon. While no one can expect glass smooth from a 3-bench PTC train, the potholes are becoming more and more pronounced over the past couple years. Considering how CP does most of their track work in-house and Mean Streak being in fairly decent shape this year, I hope some resources are coming Blue Streak's way.

Operations overall were doing well despite the obvious lack of staffing due to school being back in session. However, I must thumbs down the very loud, seemingly intentional, belch into the the microphone on Mean Streak. Hats of to the rest of the staff who was pushing through these very difficult last few weeks.

You must have caught blue streak on a bad day. We rode it a few weeks ago, and thought it was great! Don't remember any potholes, but wooden coasters do get quite moody depending on the weather.

The difference between the middle seat of any car on Blue Streak and any other row is like night and day. It's much smoother in that seat, now we only ride Blue Streak (or really any 3 bench PTC except Phoenix which is flawless everywhere) in those middle rows.

One thing I've always loved about Cedar Point is the fact that they never throw in the towel on a ride. On Friday it sounds lik Dragster opened for the night around 11:30 pm and they opened Maverick right before park close on Sunday. Good for them... I really appreciate the way they always do things like that.

The difference between the middle seat of any car on Blue Streak and any other row is like night and day. It's much smoother in that seat, now we only ride Blue Streak (or really any 3 bench PTC except Phoenix which is flawless everywhere) in those middle rows.

One thing I've always loved about Cedar Point is the fact that they never throw in the towel on a ride. On Friday it sounds lik Dragster opened for the night around 11:30 pm and they opened Maverick right before park close on Sunday. Good for them... I really appreciate the way they always do things like that.

Agreed, I applaud them as well. Those of us who fly many many miles appreciate it especially! I could see them getting frustrated with TTD if it's being temperamental, but they always try. I was impressed that it had a banner day on Saturday when I was there. Cold and somewhat windy but TTD only quit for about an hour at the most during the day. Even though it's a small observation, I was shocked that the Sky Ride started operating around 7 pm, it hadn't ran one gondola all day. Most parks wouldn't worry about spending the money on the man power to run a ride like that towards the end of the evening, but CP did it. It makes me happy when I get to fly to a Cedar Fair ran park.

Even though it's a small observation, I was shocked that the Sky Ride started operating around 7 pm, it hadn't ran one gondola all day. Most parks wouldn't worry about spending the money on the man power to run a ride like that towards the end of the evening, but CP did it. It makes me happy when I get to fly to a Cedar Fair ran park.

That's not a small observation at all, everything involving Sky Ride is a major observation.

Just looked at the webcam and they just poured a huge footer for the lift! In the renderings it is covered up with sod, I wonder if they'll actually do that?

I think the majority of the huge footer(s) is actually below ground level. So when they fill in dirt around, and over it we will just see a small amount of concrete above the grass.