TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

• 5 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, ricklap77 said:

I am just wondering why they did not sell or relocate Wicket Twister instead of demolishing it!?

I'm sure they tried to sell it, and pretty much any of their parks that would've had room for an impulse already have one.

3 minutes ago, ricklap77 said:

I find it hard to believe no other independant smaller park wanted it.  

Independent smaller parks are still, mostly, trying to recover from the pandemic closures.

• Like 1

^ Don't rides with big LIM launches cause a lot of costs behind the scenes as well that a smaller park would balk at? I swear it was on a travel channel show many years ago and they were showing the massive room housing all the systems and electronics, talking about the effect each ride cycle has on the power grid and the costs behind that too.

Just now, Garet said:

^ Don't rides with big LIM launches cause a lot of costs behind the scenes as well that a smaller park would balk at? I swear it was on a travel channel show many years ago and they were showing the massive room housing all the systems and electronics, talking about the effect each ride cycle has on the power grid and the costs behind that too.

They do.  It's why Dorney's doesn't use the holding brake and why Chiller at SFGAdv didn't launch at the same time after the first year or so.

3 hours ago, Garet said:

Its not a LIM launch, but theres this about Hulk:

"In the end a drive tire system was selected, where 230 electrical motors power a set of tires that pinch the train's underside to provide propulsion.[2][14] As this system required eight megawatts of power to propel each train, the park built several customized motor generator sets with large flywheels to reduce the risk of browning-out the local energy grid with every launch."

^ I think this is why I love wooden coasters. Still a design-and-build, right? And mainly based on gravity, yes? No?

I do know tech and computer stuff are now more involved with woodies, as much as steels.

Still - all this stuff about prepulsion, braking, etc. etc... Gives me a headache, lol.

• Like 2