TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I like breakers as well. However, I don't like breakers price tag. Breakers is a once a year hotel for us. Typically if you book it early or later in the year, the price is more down to earth.

We stayed at Breakers express opening weekend, and were really impressed with the updates.

^ Totally understand. If I lived as close to CP as you did,

I would certainly pick lesser priced places to stay, going

as often as you and others do.

And have the car, of course.

Close to the park but not on-Point I like to recommend the Maples Motel. It is on the rural end of Sandusky, right next to the back entrance to the park. Very retro but clean and run by a friendly family. The motel was mothballed and on hiatus last year, but it looks to be open once again this year. Only problem is that it is across the street from a busy railroad crossing, so if train horns wake you up that might be an issue.

There's a 3 bedroom home for $198 a night on Airbnb....

Right next to the parking lot on the beach south of Wicked Twister!!! It sleeps 7, who wants to go????

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7339707?location=Sandusky%2C%20OH%2C%20United%20States&s=MLqrm_yH

What a deal.

1054160359_dabeach.thumb.jpg.030dfb003d5d3afe94ed3b832a0cc594.jpg

Oh hey good morning WT.

house.thumb.jpg.2e20e3fa085003655958643436493948.jpg

Why would you stay anywhere else

We typically look for local rentals rather than hotels. If you book at the right time you can rent a house for less than what the hotels charge. Quite a few places in Sandusky that are 10-15 minutes from the park.

I love the convenience of Breakers but can't afford that every time we go. Lol

Since we're sharing CP hotel stories, I stayed at Motel6 Huron last May. Ridiculously cheap and since their renovation, place was hospital clean.

Check in: Thursday, May 18, 2017

Check out: Friday, May 19, 2017

Guarantee type: AMEX

Number of adults: 1

Number of rooms: 1

Room description:

1 Queen Bed | Non-smoking

Average rate: $38.99 USD

Total w/tax: $43.47 USD

86556648.thumb.jpg.e924eab3958af2ab688161ad175ab8d7.jpg

86556707.thumb.jpg.3084c7e1ce2f65160843689b60e42ca0.jpg

^That's impressive and I never would have guessed it was a Motel 6 after seeing the new renovation pics! Thrillrider's lucky to have made it out alive from the nasty hotel with the taped AC plug. Sorry to hear you went thru that but it's a funny and cautionary tale for after the fact!

That Mo-6 does look decent! I stayed at the Rodeway Inn South when I visited. The location and price were decent, but it's probably one of the most run-down, disgusting places I've ever stayed. I'm fine with roughing it in low-budgets spots, but this one tested my limits.

My grandparents stayed at that motel 6 on two separate visits and it's just as good as it seems. There's really no catch or anything to hide. It's very inexpensive and it looks just like the pics. It's a roughly 10-minute drive to CP, and an easy drive at that. Sandusky's main strip with restaurants and stores (Milan Rd/US-250) is about five minutes away, taking Route 2.

If you're looking for some of the better Sandusky hotels away from the run-down ones near CP, there's a cluster of them on US-250 just south of Route 2. There's a Hampton, Fairfield, Comfort Inn, and a few others. Not luxury, but definitely a step up from some of the hotels in the city. They're about 10 minutes from CP as well.

Since we're sharing CP hotel stories, I stayed at Motel6 Huron last May. Ridiculously cheap and since their renovation, place was hospital clean.

Check in: Thursday, May 18, 2017

Check out: Friday, May 19, 2017

Guarantee type: AMEX

Number of adults: 1

Number of rooms: 1

Room description:

1 Queen Bed | Non-smoking

Average rate: $38.99 USD

Total w/tax: $43.47 USD

This used to be a Fairfield Inn by Marriott. I've stayed there before and it's good. The problem here is the train noise from the frequent crossing nearby.

We have stayed at that motel 6 several times and never had any issues. But thanks to people like you letting the secret out, the rates have climbed quite a bit.

This motel 6 even has an indoor pool and hot tub. They don't serve breakfast(as no motel 6 does), but there is a Mc donalds and a few other fast food places near by.

In all honesty though, when we priced it a few weeks ago, it was $100 a night. For $20 more, we got a better hotel that also included a breakfast buffet. That makes a huge difference when a family of 5 saves on having to buy breakfast that could top $50 or more in itself.

When I went to Cedar Point in May of 2016, I stayed at the Super 8 Milan/Sandusky. The room was clean and the AC did not have any duct tape on it.

I've stayed there. It's definitely one of the nicer Super 8s I've stayed in (it might be the nicest if it weren't for the one near Knoebels). My only complaint is that it's all the way back by the Ohio Turnpike so it's a bit of a ride from the park (usually about 20 - 25 minutes).

There are two Magnuson "Hotels" in the Sandusky area now. The original is located just south of the US250 exit off Route 2 and the second is the former Days Inn on US6 just west of the Causeway. I wouldn't stay at either based on their curb appeal - or lack thereof.

I believe the Magnuson "brand" is similar to America's Best Value Inn. They are mostly former brand-name hotels/motels that have fallen into disrepair and usually don't get much help from their new owners in the way of improvements or niceties. Based on thrillrider's pic of the a/c plug, I can only imagine what other goodies can be found in the room.

It is sad that outside of the CP Peninsula, there are very few nice places to stay in the Sandusky area. You'd think with a world-class attraction in the area, there'd be a lot more hotels that have been built within the last decade.

A few years ago, my sister and I stayed at what's now the Magnuson on the Causeway (it was still a Days Inn at the time) and it was cheap (considering we booked last minute) and run down. The last two times I've overnighted on CP trips, I've stayed at the Breakers (the first time, the Breakers was actually one of the few hotels anywhere near Sandusky to have rooms available due to it being Bike Week in Sandusky)

Hotel costs around CP this year seem higher than in the past. Debating going to the park 8/12 after doing a concert in Cleveland on Friday but the cost of hotel plus admission and fast lane is pretty crazy.

We were looking to stay 2 nights (Fri/Sat) and even the crappy 2 star hotels in the area are $120+ per night. If we stated at a CP property we'd be looking at close to $1000 total for 3 people including tickets/food. Think we might just stay closer to Cleveland, they have Hilton properties for $75-80/night and just bite the bullet on the commute to the park.

Any recommendations on an area halfway between Cleveland and CP that has decent selection of restaurants/bars/hotels?

Hotel costs around CP this year seem higher than in the past. Debating going to the park 8/12 after doing a concert in Cleveland on Friday but the cost of hotel plus admission and fast lane is pretty crazy.

We were looking to stay 2 nights (Fri/Sat) and even the crappy 2 star hotels in the area are $120+ per night. If we stated at a CP property we'd be looking at close to $1000 total for 3 people including tickets/food. Think we might just stay closer to Cleveland, they have Hilton properties for $75-80/night and just bite the bullet on the commute to the park.

Any recommendations on an area halfway between Cleveland and CP that has decent selection of restaurants/bars/hotels?

Use Priceline. Check out the express deals and name your own price and see what they have.

Hotels.com has a bunch of rooms for under $100 for your dates. Use the filter to set the price range you want. Honestly though, anything aroun $80 this time of year is probably going to be a questionable establishment.

Thanks for the heads up, read some reviews and they seen slightly seedy. Think we might just end up scratching CP all together. My friends don't want to pay $200 each for passes and FL+ just for one day.

Haven't been to Cedar Point on an August Saturday in probably 10 years, is it even worth going to the park without FL+ during August?

Honestly, I wouldn't touch Cedar Point on a Saturday without a FL+. And I get in for free*. If you don't want to shell out for fast passes just skip it.

* with season pass

Thanks for confirming what I thought. We're just gonna skip Cedar Point and do something in Cleveland on Saturday. I cant be bothered standing in 90+ min lines with sweaty people when its that hot outside.

Just to chime in here on hotels (since I work in the industry) I'd stay away from Magnusson. They've grown rapidly as a chain by charging less for franchise fees than other chains do, and they have far lower standards. Their franchisees are largely the people who either got kicked off their previous brand for not meeting standards or else just want to not have to meet those requirements anymore. Trust me, you don't want to see a hotel that Super 8 doesn't want to be associated with.

^^ Gear, if you are in Cleaveland and looking for something to do, Waldemeer isn't that far of a drive and totally worth it. We were staying in Avon, made the drive there, had a blast in the park and drove back with no stress. We did that when it was a rainy day up on the north coast and couldn't figure out what to do. Waldemeer has the best rain policy of any park.

Aside from Elyria? There isn't anything. Even that's kinda a crappy 'burb.