TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

1 hour ago, PKI Jizzman said:

The last 2 days have been the most brutal I can remember in Cincy. Tuesday was 103* with spotty storms and yesterday was still really hot and muggy with one of the most intense lightning storms I've encountered. Interested in seeing how many strikes to the ground we got.

Yeah that storm was crazy, we were in line for flight of fear just hanging out when the it went through, and it looked and sounded like the park got struck three or four times in a row lol. One looked like it hit Windseeker and everyone gasped at the same time. Between my Orlando trip and yesterday my luck with weather has been horrible this year, hopefully it gets better soon. I haven’t had a full day of coasters yet this year.

Literally everything from Dragster (a ride with 10,000 drive tires) to Wicked Twister (a ride that uses 100% magnetic brakes) would have shut down in that amount of rain. CP is a s-show when there's the slightest mist, meanwhile I had an amazing time at KI a few weeks ago with off-and-on showers - nothing at all closed down or even went to reduced capacity in the rain. Amazing how two parks owned by the same chain in the same state can have such wildly different rain policies...

• Like 3

While I agree fully, it’s not so much the closing down for rain that’s the aggravation though… it’s the “we need to wait and make sure it’s not going to start raining again so we’re just going to keep everything closed even though it’s not raining anymore” that takes anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. If the rides never close down then you can make your own decision if you want to jump in line and get pelted by rain drops or not. But Cedar Point is apparently content with their rain policy, which they say is in the name of “safety” to the detriment of the entire experience. 

• Like 3

Comparing Cedar Point's rain policy to Kings Island's apparent policy is apples to oranges. I see an easily obtainable middle ground between cycling 80 mph coasters in hard rain and stopping for drizzle. I'd be pissed if I had the opportunity to wait in the station for the rain to pass instead of being advised to saddle up during what Forrest Gump would describe as 'stinging rain.'

• Like 1

Another note from yesterday - have these mobile ordering teasers (can't read it it the picture but the sign says Coming Soon) been around all year, or has Cedar Fair seemingly heard our commentary regarding food lines this season?

image.thumb.png.316cceb40c77b9adf45eed881b98d651.png

Just got back from KI and while there were a few minor quirks (Mystic Timbers seemed to be having issues, Flight of Fear’s FL+ line was out the door of the UFO room and yes, the food lines were  crazy), I still had a great time.  Rode Orion in the front… that was like a religious experience.  Absolutely love this ride.  Glass smooth, so fast and the airtime hill delivered in spades.  Took my first ride of the season on The Beast and man has it gotten rough, even in a non-wheel seat.  And Banshee is actually even worse than The Beast.  And it’s taken 16 years, but Backlot Italian Coaster is sooooo awesome.  I absolutely love the launch, the sharp turns, and the final tunnel is crazy dark.  It has become a must ride for me now, especially since I bypassed a full queue and walked right on with FL.

And one observation. There was a poster in one of the men’s washrooms that was promoting a 2021 season pass.  At the bottom it said that it includes the upcoming Grand Carnival event, the Tricks and Treats Fall Fest, and Winterfest.  Found it interesting that Haunt wasn’t mentioned. 

Oh, and the Blue Ice Cream beer was weird.  Not bad weird, just unusual.  Definitely enjoyed it though!  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BitterOldHag said:

And one observation. There was a poster in one of the men’s washrooms that was promoting a 2021 season pass.  At the bottom it said that it includes the upcoming Grand Carnival event, the Tricks and Treats Fall Fest, and Winterfest.  Found it interesting that Haunt wasn’t mentioned. 

They had Tricks and Treats Fall Fest last year.  That sign is from last year promoting season passes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, southpuddle said:

While I agree fully, it’s not so much the closing down for rain that’s the aggravation though… it’s the “we need to wait and make sure it’s not going to start raining again so we’re just going to keep everything closed even though it’s not raining anymore” that takes anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. If the rides never close down then you can make your own decision if you want to jump in line and get pelted by rain drops or not. But Cedar Point is apparently content with their rain policy, which they say is in the name of “safety” to the detriment of the entire experience. 

This.  Even the slightest and shortest of rain showers also mixed with sun during my visit to CP a few weeks ago shut down 90%+ of the park.  Then they proceeded to stand around waiting in the sun for however many minutes until the SOP said it's "safe" to resume again.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:31 PM, southpuddle said:

which they say is in the name of “safety” to the detriment of the entire experience. 

Kinda like them putting extremely tight seat belts on the Cedar Creek Mine Train.    I think those restraints are honestly a tighter fit on me than the ones on Dragster.  I don't get it.  🙄

3 hours ago, jackinbox said:

Kinda like them putting extremely tight seat belts on the Cedar Creek Mine Train.    I think those restraints are honestly a tighter fit on me than the ones on Dragster.  I don't get it.  🙄

They've changed ALL of the old-school coaster restraints from when I was a kid.  Blue Streak, Mine Ride, and Gemini were ONE seat for two people and one large belt over two people.  They've made the seats individual which means less room, as well.  If you are tall, it's going to suck!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, slither37 said:

Anyone going to Coasterstock this weekend??

yup, there will be some folks from the TPR boards there. . including myself (1st time at the park) &  TeacherKim -  some others too I'm aware of. . not sure if they've posted they are going or not, so not my place to say.

there are some Forum members that will be at the park on Sat - whom are not attending CoasterStock - but planning to meet and hang with as well.

It's gonna be a really fun couple of days!

see ya there!

On 7/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, slither37 said:

Anyone going to Coasterstock this weekend??

Just packing up our stuff! We have about a 6 hour drive so will head out late morning tomorrow. Looking forward to hanging out with everyone.

• Like 1

I'll be there on Saturday! Weather is looking iffy for Saturday so get your must rides in on Friday in case Saturday takes a turn for the worse.

Looking like scattered storms 50% all day with potential to be worse but I'll keep an eye on it. KI/Mason can be it's own weather bubble at times but obviously lightning can shut things down for a while. 

Have a great time, everyone.  I wouldn't get too worked up about Saturday's weather, honestly some rain in the forecast can actually be a good thing as it rarely rains all day, and it will keep some of the crowds away.  I've gone on two separate days this year with forecasts very similar to what Saturday is looking like, and both times it's ended up being great.  

And remember - for the night rides, as long as you're in line before 10 pm, you will get to ride! (even if it's after the fireworks)

Looking to the regulars here for some tips....I plan on visiting this park for the first time on Monday, August 2nd.  Are Monday crowds manageable here?  As I will only have this one day available (I am in town for a convention) I am considering purchasing a fastpass+.  This will also be my first ever visit to a Cedar Fair park.  Naturally I will be hunting coaster credits but I want to see as much as possible what this park has to offer.  I hear lots of good things about it.  I am confident the quality will be a leap up from the Six Flags parks I am used to.  

It's a big, and great park, with a ton of things you're going to want to do, preferably more than once.  Fastpass+ is definitely going to be your friend if you're just getting one day to spend here.  If you can afford it, it'll make your day so much more fun.  Without, you're likely going to have to pick and choose what you want to get in in one day, and there isn't really much you want to skip here.

• Like 1