TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

23 hours ago, skyrocket010 said:

Planned to go to the park Saturday but the weather is calling for scattered thunderstorms 50% during the day and 40% at night. Would you guys still chance it or reschedule?

Honestly it's been really unpredictable weather in Cincy for the last week or so. Every day it's been breezy and storms pop off at any moment with temps rising to 90 and falling to 75. The storms aren't long lasting but if you get stuck outside you'll get drenched in seconds. Go, but it's still a Saturday and you'll likely need fast lane if you want to ride the big coasters more than a few times. Every day is 50% chance storms.

• 3 weeks later...

for those who wanted the limited edition Squish-mallows - that are sold out in the park (and the Squishmallow store at the gate is shut down). . . some of them are still avail. at the online KI store.

i was disappointed during my visit ~2 weeks ago, that I missed the opportunity, but was able to get Orion, Beast, and Diamondback from the online store  (they are sold out of Blue Ice Cream and flying Pig. . but I got the 2 I really wanted (Beast and Orion) and grabbed Diamondback too :) )

sharing for those who have been looking for them!

Visited the park on Wednesday and while it was 95* I had a great day due to low crowds. I honestly anticipated to ride Orion at opening and maybe Mystic but I was pleasantly surprised to see everything other than FoF at a 20 minute or less wait. 

Yes Mystic has the music working again.

Park music variety is back, it's not just those bluegrass covers all over on a loop. There's actually diversity in the park so idk if they paid up or what but thank goodness. 

Had the best rides on Orion. I still don't gray out at any point on the ride but I never remember hitting the trim as hard as it did. Which sucks but I really felt some airtime on the wave turn (almost took my ray bans off!!!) And the speed hill was epic. You can look back at my posts not raving about Orion airtime but damn it was hauling. No, it's still not better than Fury, though haha in my opinion. 

Racer blue is running better than red but they're both running like new. Especially Red. 

I rode Invertigo for the first time in probably 10 years and it's time for it to go. My head is so skinny how does anyone else fit their head between those padded OTSRs?! Damn that coaster is intense and rough. 

Windseeker is still playing the Harry Potter theme which is hilarious and confusing. 

The blue ice cream beer is so fucking good. How good is it? The brewery that makes it can't keep it in stock or on draft so it's pretty much a KI exclusive at this point. Sonder makes all of KI's beer and is close by and it's one of like 2 locations to get it. 

And on the opposite of good, KI is still experimenting with gourmet popcorn and I think they'll have plenty of chive in stock for a long time 🤣

20210728_131808.jpg

20210728_154522.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Visited the park on Wednesday and while it was 95* I had a great day due to low crowds. I honestly anticipated to ride Orion at opening and maybe Mystic but I was pleasantly surprised to see everything other than FoF at a 20 minute or less wait. 

Yes Mystic has the music working again.

Park music variety is back, it's not just those bluegrass covers all over on a loop. There's actually diversity in the park so idk if they paid up or what but thank goodness. 

Had the best rides on Orion. I still don't gray out at any point on the ride but I never remember hitting the trim as hard as it did. Which sucks but I really felt some airtime on the wave turn (almost took my ray bans off!!!) And the speed hill was epic. You can look back at my posts not raving about Orion airtime but damn it was hauling. No, it's still not better than Fury, though haha in my opinion. 

Racer blue is running better than red but they're both running like new. Especially Red. 

I rode Invertigo for the first time in probably 10 years and it's time for it to go. My head is so skinny how does anyone else fit their head between those padded OTSRs?! Damn that coaster is intense and rough. 

Windseeker is still playing the Harry Potter theme which is hilarious and confusing. 

The blue ice cream beer is so fucking good. How good is it? The brewery that makes it can't keep it in stock or on draft so it's pretty much a KI exclusive at this point. Sonder makes all of KI's beer and is close by and it's one of like 2 locations to get it. 

And on the opposite of good, KI is still experimenting with gourmet popcorn and I think they'll have plenty of chive in stock for a long time 🤣

20210728_131808.jpg

20210728_154522.jpg

Thank you for this!!!  I haven't been to KI since the mid-80s (when King Cobra was the big highlight!! LOL).  We are going in a couple of weeks and it's always good to get ideas of how the park is running, etc so we can plan ahead:) 

I was at the park yesterday and today. I was told by one of the Beast (relocated to Mystic Timbers) rideops that Thursday the general public was complaining about the roughness of the Beast, so they shut it down 2 hours early and relocated the rideops to other rides. Today I was there until 2, and it never opened. There wasn't anyone on the platform either. Maybe the guys were working on the track which you really can't see, even from Windbreaker.

1 hour ago, coasternut said:

I was at the park yesterday and today. I was told by one of the Beast (relocated to Mystic Timbers) rideops that Thursday the general public was complaining about the roughness of the Beast, so they shut it down 2 hours early and relocated the rideops to other rides. Today I was there until 2, and it never opened. There wasn't anyone on the platform either. Maybe the guys were working on the track which you really can't see, even from Windbreaker.

the lighting effects on "windbreaker" are amazing tho

fart GIF

• Haha 1

I would be all for a retracking and rehab on The Beast that keeps most of the course identical but updates a bit of the ride.  Maybe shortening or eliminating the brake shed and adding a floater hill and a mild reprofiling of a turn or 2 to allow them to be taken at higher speed and reduce the need for trims currently in place.  Nothing too extensive but enough to freshen up and smooth out the experience.

Pushaw I say.  The only thing I want them to do Beast is restore the skid brakes and replace the individual ratcheting lap bars with the original buzz-bars and lose the headrests.  You can keep the seat dividers and seat belts if you want.  It's already my #1 wooden coaster, restoring it to its original glory would only solidify that further.

(Edit) As an additional thought, there are dozens of wooden coasters out there that are older than Beast, some nearing or exceeding a hundred years old, that have not had recent substantial changes to their layout - Beast can run correctly as intended, it doesn't need to be modified any further.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DavidB said:

I would be all for a retracking and rehab on The Beast that keeps most of the course identical but updates a bit of the ride.  Maybe shortening or eliminating the brake shed and adding a floater hill and a mild reprofiling of a turn or 2 to allow them to be taken at higher speed and reduce the need for trims currently in place.  Nothing too extensive but enough to freshen up and smooth out the experience.

To most guests, none of that would really matter. It would do nothing to bring more people into the park.

On 7/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, Carrie said:

Thank you for this!!!  I haven't been to KI since the mid-80s (when King Cobra was the big highlight!! LOL).  We are going in a couple of weeks and it's always good to get ideas of how the park is running, etc so we can plan ahead:) 

You can still see the supports! Dm me if you want a tour of the park!

Beast was still down today. Rode it Wednesday and heard it closed then.

Honestly I rode in the front that day and it was way more rough there than it should be. Wonder what's up with it. All trains were off the track, unlike Coasterstock when they had 2 off 1 on. 

There are drone photos going around showing some track work on Beast. Looks like before the 2nd lift. Last week was pretty stormy so it might have been damaged from a tree. Orrrr they could have found something that needed immediate repair during morning walk throughs.

We are planning a trip this next Wednesday.... but before we go, I thought I would ask about restraints.   When we were at CP in 2019,  I saw the restraints on many of the older coasters had changed.  I hadn't been there since 2002 and since then, the bench seats and one-bar restraint for two people was no longer.  Everything went individual since I was there last.  That made for a tighter fit.  At the time, I was doing the walk of shame....it was devastating.  Since then, I have lost 80 lbs...down to 220 (no, I am not done) and a size 0/1 at Torrid (about a 14/16 at Lane Bryant).  In April, we went to Busch Gardens and I had PLENTY (and them some) of room on everything.  I am still concerned about Cedar Fair rides, though.  Is Kings Island very similar with the restraint systems at CP?  And, if anyone is familiar with Busch Gardens, how do they compare? I am just sooo nervous about it..walk of shames are NO fun!  We also considered Great America but I haven't even been there since mid 90s (and before that it was early 80s)...and I think the big one there was Z Force! LOL  

Any insights?  I think I posted this before in the CP area, but am posting here for KI thoughts!

I don't see 220 being a problem at all at KI. You have to think, you're dealing with vest restraints and clam shells. I also don't see many people having problems on Millennium Flyer (GCI) trains. I would only be concerned with Flight of Fear, and even then I think you're fine.

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

I don't see 220 being a problem at all at KI. You have to think, you're dealing with vest restraints and clam shells. I also don't see many people having problems on Millennium Flyer (GCI) trains. I would only be concerned with Flight of Fear, and even then I think you're fine.

That's good to know..thank you!   Mine Ride and Gemini belts didn't even begin to go around  me.  The over the head restraints like MF and Raptor went over me, but the belt wouldn't reach up enough to click into the overhead.  It sucked.....but I am 80lbs lighter because of it!! LOL  

1 hour ago, Carrie said:

That's good to know..thank you!   Mine Ride and Gemini belts didn't even begin to go around  me.  The over the head restraints like MF and Raptor went over me, but the belt wouldn't reach up enough to click into the overhead.  It sucked.....but I am 80lbs lighter because of it!! LOL  

My wife is plus sized, the only rides she hasnt been able to get between CP and KI is Millennium Force, which would also include TTD if it were ever open when were there. The seat belt is the issue there, not the lap bar. Which is annoying because she fits on Ride of Steel at SFDL with seatbelt to spare, which is an identical train. Not sure why MF & TTD belts are so short. She did get on MF 2 years ago, not sure if they made them even shorter. 

Also, when we went to KI we didnt make it to Flight of Fear or Racer so not sure about those, and she didnt try Banshee because our kids were too short so I rode solo.

Edit: She couldnt do Raptor comfortably either. Narrow seats, wide hips. 

16 hours ago, Carrie said:

We are planning a trip this next Wednesday.... but before we go, I thought I would ask about restraints.   When we were at CP in 2019,  I saw the restraints on many of the older coasters had changed.  I hadn't been there since 2002 and since then, the bench seats and one-bar restraint for two people was no longer.  Everything went individual since I was there last.  That made for a tighter fit.  At the time, I was doing the walk of shame....it was devastating.  Since then, I have lost 80 lbs...down to 220 (no, I am not done) and a size 0/1 at Torrid (about a 14/16 at Lane Bryant).  In April, we went to Busch Gardens and I had PLENTY (and them some) of room on everything.  I am still concerned about Cedar Fair rides, though.  Is Kings Island very similar with the restraint systems at CP?  And, if anyone is familiar with Busch Gardens, how do they compare? I am just sooo nervous about it..walk of shames are NO fun!  We also considered Great America but I haven't even been there since mid 90s (and before that it was early 80s)...and I think the big one there was Z Force! LOL  

Any insights?  I think I posted this before in the CP area, but am posting here for KI thoughts!

I'll be at CP, hope you have a great day at KI! Most coasters and thrill rides have test seats, just try them out before you commit to a line. 

With the B&M clamshells it's usually thick thighs that deny rides (but thick thighs do save lives).