TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

3 hours ago, DavidB said:

I would be all for a retracking and rehab on The Beast that keeps most of the course identical but updates a bit of the ride.  Maybe shortening or eliminating the brake shed and adding a floater hill and a mild reprofiling of a turn or 2 to allow them to be taken at higher speed and reduce the need for trims currently in place.  Nothing too extensive but enough to freshen up and smooth out the experience.

To most guests, none of that would really matter. It would do nothing to bring more people into the park.

On 7/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, Carrie said:

Thank you for this!!!  I haven't been to KI since the mid-80s (when King Cobra was the big highlight!! LOL).  We are going in a couple of weeks and it's always good to get ideas of how the park is running, etc so we can plan ahead:) 

You can still see the supports! Dm me if you want a tour of the park!

Beast was still down today. Rode it Wednesday and heard it closed then.

Honestly I rode in the front that day and it was way more rough there than it should be. Wonder what's up with it. All trains were off the track, unlike Coasterstock when they had 2 off 1 on. 

There are drone photos going around showing some track work on Beast. Looks like before the 2nd lift. Last week was pretty stormy so it might have been damaged from a tree. Orrrr they could have found something that needed immediate repair during morning walk throughs.

We are planning a trip this next Wednesday.... but before we go, I thought I would ask about restraints.   When we were at CP in 2019,  I saw the restraints on many of the older coasters had changed.  I hadn't been there since 2002 and since then, the bench seats and one-bar restraint for two people was no longer.  Everything went individual since I was there last.  That made for a tighter fit.  At the time, I was doing the walk of shame....it was devastating.  Since then, I have lost 80 lbs...down to 220 (no, I am not done) and a size 0/1 at Torrid (about a 14/16 at Lane Bryant).  In April, we went to Busch Gardens and I had PLENTY (and them some) of room on everything.  I am still concerned about Cedar Fair rides, though.  Is Kings Island very similar with the restraint systems at CP?  And, if anyone is familiar with Busch Gardens, how do they compare? I am just sooo nervous about it..walk of shames are NO fun!  We also considered Great America but I haven't even been there since mid 90s (and before that it was early 80s)...and I think the big one there was Z Force! LOL  

Any insights?  I think I posted this before in the CP area, but am posting here for KI thoughts!

I don't see 220 being a problem at all at KI. You have to think, you're dealing with vest restraints and clam shells. I also don't see many people having problems on Millennium Flyer (GCI) trains. I would only be concerned with Flight of Fear, and even then I think you're fine.

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

I don't see 220 being a problem at all at KI. You have to think, you're dealing with vest restraints and clam shells. I also don't see many people having problems on Millennium Flyer (GCI) trains. I would only be concerned with Flight of Fear, and even then I think you're fine.

That's good to know..thank you!   Mine Ride and Gemini belts didn't even begin to go around  me.  The over the head restraints like MF and Raptor went over me, but the belt wouldn't reach up enough to click into the overhead.  It sucked.....but I am 80lbs lighter because of it!! LOL  

1 hour ago, Carrie said:

That's good to know..thank you!   Mine Ride and Gemini belts didn't even begin to go around  me.  The over the head restraints like MF and Raptor went over me, but the belt wouldn't reach up enough to click into the overhead.  It sucked.....but I am 80lbs lighter because of it!! LOL  

My wife is plus sized, the only rides she hasnt been able to get between CP and KI is Millennium Force, which would also include TTD if it were ever open when were there. The seat belt is the issue there, not the lap bar. Which is annoying because she fits on Ride of Steel at SFDL with seatbelt to spare, which is an identical train. Not sure why MF & TTD belts are so short. She did get on MF 2 years ago, not sure if they made them even shorter. 

Also, when we went to KI we didnt make it to Flight of Fear or Racer so not sure about those, and she didnt try Banshee because our kids were too short so I rode solo.

Edit: She couldnt do Raptor comfortably either. Narrow seats, wide hips. 

16 hours ago, Carrie said:

We are planning a trip this next Wednesday.... but before we go, I thought I would ask about restraints.   When we were at CP in 2019,  I saw the restraints on many of the older coasters had changed.  I hadn't been there since 2002 and since then, the bench seats and one-bar restraint for two people was no longer.  Everything went individual since I was there last.  That made for a tighter fit.  At the time, I was doing the walk of shame....it was devastating.  Since then, I have lost 80 lbs...down to 220 (no, I am not done) and a size 0/1 at Torrid (about a 14/16 at Lane Bryant).  In April, we went to Busch Gardens and I had PLENTY (and them some) of room on everything.  I am still concerned about Cedar Fair rides, though.  Is Kings Island very similar with the restraint systems at CP?  And, if anyone is familiar with Busch Gardens, how do they compare? I am just sooo nervous about it..walk of shames are NO fun!  We also considered Great America but I haven't even been there since mid 90s (and before that it was early 80s)...and I think the big one there was Z Force! LOL  

Any insights?  I think I posted this before in the CP area, but am posting here for KI thoughts!

I'll be at CP, hope you have a great day at KI! Most coasters and thrill rides have test seats, just try them out before you commit to a line. 

With the B&M clamshells it's usually thick thighs that deny rides (but thick thighs do save lives).

14 hours ago, Haymaker said:

My wife is plus sized, the only rides she hasnt been able to get between CP and KI is Millennium Force, which would also include TTD if it were ever open when were there. The seat belt is the issue there, not the lap bar. Which is annoying because she fits on Ride of Steel at SFDL with seatbelt to spare, which is an identical train. Not sure why MF & TTD belts are so short. She did get on MF 2 years ago, not sure if they made them even shorter. 

Also, when we went to KI we didnt make it to Flight of Fear or Racer so not sure about those, and she didnt try Banshee because our kids were too short so I rode solo.

Edit: She couldnt do Raptor comfortably either. Narrow seats, wide hips. 

My problem is my middle..LOL  I was about this weight when we went in 2001...I was able to do Raptor...Had to suck it in a bit.  Also did get on MF.  But, since then, I've had 2 babies, numerous steroid injections for RA (those really pack it on),  and 80 more pounds on me. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the belts were shortened.  They completely did this with Gemini and Mine Ride.  Do you remember when it used to be one seat and one large belt over two people?  Of course, I am dating myself here.....that was back in the 80s.  I wouldn't think tall people wouldn't be able to get on those two.  When they converted it to 2 individual seats, they lost a lot of space.  My knees were nearly jammed into the front.  It is crazy.  Busch Gardens, on the other hand, was not even a question!  They are so very generous with the restraints and life was great down there! 

48 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

I'll be at CP, hope you have a great day at KI! Most coasters and thrill rides have test seats, just try them out before you commit to a line. 

With the B&M clamshells it's usually thick thighs that deny rides (but thick thighs do save lives).

I would be interested in knowing how CP is running!  Post while you are there! 

48 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Can anyone tell me about FLP?  I see they have to be purchased online, but do they limit how many they sell? Due to possible weather issues, we generally like to wait until the night before to buy them.  In Tampa Bay, we were fine doing that (I don't know if they limit the number), but I just want to know how it works with Cedar Fair parks.  At Busch Gardens, keeping the passes on our phone were fine....the employees just scanned the bar code from the phone.  Is that a possibility at King's Island or do they require something physical? 

58 minutes ago, Carrie said:

Can anyone tell me about FLP?  I see they have to be purchased online, but do they limit how many they sell? Due to possible weather issues, we generally like to wait until the night before to buy them.  In Tampa Bay, we were fine doing that (I don't know if they limit the number), but I just want to know how it works with Cedar Fair parks.  At Busch Gardens, keeping the passes on our phone were fine....the employees just scanned the bar code from the phone.  Is that a possibility at King's Island or do they require something physical? 

They do limit the amount sold.  What that amount is, is anyone's guess.  CF parks issue you a wristband that you show at the FL entry at each ride.  At Kings Island, there is a little booth to the left after entry where you redeem your voucher (scanned from phone or paper) for the wristband, or you can do it at any retail establishment that sells Fast Lane (there are several throughout the park).  You should be fine buying a week in advance, at which point you should have a pretty good idea of what the weather is going to be like on your park day.

2 hours ago, tndank said:

Pretty sure you'd be fine waiting until you got to the park if you wanted to.  Don't think KI sells out of FLP all that often.  And it'll pretty much made everything a walk on.

That's how it was at Busch Gardens.  I think the longest I waited was 5-10 mins.   Everything else was on and off.  Probably, realistically, didn't need the passes, as the park was nearly a ghost town, but the in and off was awesome.  Allowed for multiple rides!  

9 hours ago, Carrie said:

Fast Lane Plus at KI is great. We were there for one day and did all the rides as much as we wanted. Never waited more than 20 Minutes, which was for Flight of Fear and Firehawk (RIP). All other rides were mostly walkons.

19 hours ago, Carrie said:

On a Wednesday it likely won't sell out so yes you can wait until the day of to buy. 

I posted about my spontaneous trip on a Wednesday a week and a half ago and had a good time, but the big coasters will still have a 20-30 minute wait and that does add up. It also helps you get in multiple night rides.

If you aren't getting fast lane, do Flight of Fear first, then Stunt Coaster, Invertigo, Bat first since they have the worst capacity. 

The app's wait times have been pretty accurate during my visits.

So, I arrived in Mason around 3 after my 9 hour drive from Delaware. Dropped off my stuff at the hotel and then headed to the park. As it was around 94 degrees ambient, I went right to the water park and spent about 2 and a half hours there. Everything was open.

Made my way over to the rides side around 6, for a one train wait for the back row Mystic Timbers ("Cars" and snake monster ending). The shed was damned hot LOL.  Still awesome though.

Next up was the Beast, with a 5 train wait for front row. Not night, but still great. I noticed brand new wood for the rails at the bottom of the valley after the first hill and at the turn into the 2nd tunnel. I also noticed the American flag in the pre-lift turnaround, which is never noticed before.IMG_20210812_185957018_HDR.thumb.jpg.cd54f8394e30a69589aaa84d1d456837.jpg

After that, I just grabbed a grilled cheese from Tom + Chee (eating now) and will then head out...I'm tired haha. I wanted to go back to the hotel after the water park but needed to get at least one ride on my number one and two here in case the weather doesn't cooperate tomorrow (when I looked this morning they were calling for 40-60% chance of thunderstorms all day Saturday).

More to come.

On 8/6/2021 at 5:22 PM, Carrie said:

There are also two tiers of FL / FLP.  The basic Fast lane allows you front of line access on a short list of major rides.  FL Plus - the list is considerably longer and includes major rides like Orion and Mystic Timbers.  I bought FLP last week on my first ever visit here and got rides in on all the major coasters (Beast was closed), including four rides on Orion.  The investment was worth it.

20210802_124522.thumb.jpg.83e6bb23060fd6a898795eed972ebd9b.jpg

The day of fun starts right here!

20210802_135916.thumb.jpg.ce8f9291cf8a438d9eb005b5a8b031c5.jpg

20210802_165817.thumb.jpg.804413be71ea206fb97869597942e91c.jpg

20210802_153540.thumb.jpg.b44d50edaabbfb80e453e63a4de1788e.jpg

Amazing theming.  Nightly fireworks show and party in this area was a nice bonus.  The park is proud of Orion and it shows.  There are banners advertising it all over the park.  Plus the lighting package at night is amazing.

Next summer I will visit sister park KD but I will definitely be back here again!

^ you're a little backwards.

FL+ offers just 5 more rides (4 coasters and one flat) than regular FL on the Dry side (there are 4 additional FL+ water park rides too)

but they are the four coasters you'll REALLY want to be able to skip the lines on:

image.thumb.png.c8b578bdcbaae2c79cc162f9d7120b5e.png

but pretty much every ride is on FL.. so if you don't care about these 4 particular coasters (say you're a huge Banshee and Diamondback fan and you'll ride the hell out of those?   buy regular Fast Lane)

I think the only two coasters not on FL/FL+ at all, and thus require standby queue wait are:  The Bat & Woodstock Express