TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Just got back from a whirlwind 3 days!  Flew Orlando to Louisville, did Kentucky Kingdom for a few hours, then drove north to Kings Island. Spent about 5 hours there on Thursday (pretty dead and rode everything!) then went back for CoasterStock on Friday and Saturday.  Highlights would be the Beast walk back and the book signing.
If you haven't picked it up yet, you should! 
Also met a few TPR folk along the way.  Weather was great Thurs/Fri, rain on Saturday.
Looking forward to next year and the 50th anniversary of KI!

IMG_1609.JPEG

IMG_1623.JPEG

IMG_1626.JPEG

IMG_1630.JPEG

IMG_1639.JPEG

IMG_1641.JPEG

IMG_1648.JPEG

IMG_1651.JPEG

IMG_1657.JPEG

IMG_1660.JPEG

IMG_1661.JPEG

IMG_1662.JPEG

IMG_1671.JPEG

IMG_1685.JPEG

IMG_1691.JPEG

IMG_1706.JPEG

IMG_1718.JPEG

IMG_1732.JPEG

IMG_1735.JPEG

IMG_1738.JPEG

IMG_1746.JPEG

IMG_1752.JPEG

IMG_1765.JPEG

IMG_1769.JPEG

IMG_1785.JPEG

IMG_1800.JPEG

IMG_1804.JPEG

IMG_1841.JPEG

IMG_1850.JPEG

IMG_1872.JPEG

IMG_1873.JPEG

IMG_1878.JPEG

IMG_1881.JPEG

IMG_1888.JPEG

IMG_1889.JPEG

IMG_1894.JPEG

IMG_1897.JPEG

IMG_1914.JPEG

IMG_1921.JPEG

IMG_1933.JPEG

IMG_1965.JPEG

IMG_1969.JPEG

IMG_1972.JPEG

IMG_1975.JPEG

IMG_1980.JPEG

IMG_1982.JPEG

IMG_1987.JPEG

IMG_1997.JPEG

• Like 7

21 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

There's been a great TPR showing today, even a TPR poncho! I missed what his username is so reveal yourself! 

A something g with letters.   Lol is his username.  

But to follow up On Zach’s post we did find out it was Adam.   Who was hanging out with Stacy Gretchen.   

lol. He just forgot to mention that when we talked to him at blue racer about his tpr poncho

• Thanks 1

Was so great to meet you pianojohn 

and that was such a great ride on adventure express that we all did together 

and of COURSE the carousel ert 😁

im still traveling but will get a a report up in the next few days

but yeah.  Y’all should go

its a great park

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KICoasterkev said:

I will be going either Wednesday or Thursday,  anyone know when the line closes on Orion when they’re getting ready for the fireworks?  Thanks 

They closed it 30 minutes prior and reopened to drain remaining queue 10 minutes after

But no new entry was allowed 30 before fireworks (at 10. They were right at close)

now. This is what we saw last night during Coasterstock. So it’s POSSIBLE that they closed off line to drain it for our ert that started at 10:30.   But I’d guess that standard is they don’t let anyone in the queue for 30 before fireworks (they did not make anyone in the queue leave tho)

I do wanna note that yesterday was kinda an odd day at the park tho. . as things kept going down.   (even Zach noted it was not a good day and something was odd about how many impacted):

Beast was down for most of the day - a good 6 hours
Red Racer went down, then Blue went down, then both came back up but with two trains on blue/ one on red, so not always racing)
Drop Tower was up and down all day
Diamondback got stuck on lift hill for a good 10 or so minutes
Banshee went down in the evening (with maintenance working on the lift hill ~4pm when we were over there in beergarden, but never saw it come back up for rest of night)
Orion was up and down (tho those down times seemed to be only 10 or so minutes each time)
Flying Race Ariel Chase was down all day

Kudos to the maintenance teams for getting everything  (mostly) back up and going tho. . .  it was amazing when Beast reopened ~5pm, and the wait time went from 5 minutes to 55 minutes in literally SECONDS (luckily we had Fast Lane +, so we still only waited ~10 minutes, and they let us wait for front row anyways)

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 2:36 PM, bert425 said:

A something g with letters.   Lol is his username.  

But to follow up On Zach’s post we did find out it was Adam.   Who was hanging out with Stacy Gretchen.   

lol. He just forgot to mention that when we talked to him at blue racer about his tpr poncho

That would be me! It was great to finally meet you two on Saturday. That TPR poncho is definitely on it's last legs. 😉

"Red Racer went down, then Blue went down, then both came back up but with two trains on blue/ one on red, so not always racing)"

To add to the Racer saga, after all that happened, both went down again, then red finally reopened on it's own, running only 1 train.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's strange such a reliable park had issues when it really mattered. Aside from the drop tower (like all drop towers), Wind Seeker (like all Wind Seekers), and of course Invertigo... I've never seen any of the other coasters or major rides go down.

23 hours ago, skyrocket010 said:

Planned to go to the park Saturday but the weather is calling for scattered thunderstorms 50% during the day and 40% at night. Would you guys still chance it or reschedule?

Honestly it's been really unpredictable weather in Cincy for the last week or so. Every day it's been breezy and storms pop off at any moment with temps rising to 90 and falling to 75. The storms aren't long lasting but if you get stuck outside you'll get drenched in seconds. Go, but it's still a Saturday and you'll likely need fast lane if you want to ride the big coasters more than a few times. Every day is 50% chance storms.

• 3 weeks later...

for those who wanted the limited edition Squish-mallows - that are sold out in the park (and the Squishmallow store at the gate is shut down). . . some of them are still avail. at the online KI store.

i was disappointed during my visit ~2 weeks ago, that I missed the opportunity, but was able to get Orion, Beast, and Diamondback from the online store  (they are sold out of Blue Ice Cream and flying Pig. . but I got the 2 I really wanted (Beast and Orion) and grabbed Diamondback too :) )

sharing for those who have been looking for them!

Visited the park on Wednesday and while it was 95* I had a great day due to low crowds. I honestly anticipated to ride Orion at opening and maybe Mystic but I was pleasantly surprised to see everything other than FoF at a 20 minute or less wait. 

Yes Mystic has the music working again.

Park music variety is back, it's not just those bluegrass covers all over on a loop. There's actually diversity in the park so idk if they paid up or what but thank goodness. 

Had the best rides on Orion. I still don't gray out at any point on the ride but I never remember hitting the trim as hard as it did. Which sucks but I really felt some airtime on the wave turn (almost took my ray bans off!!!) And the speed hill was epic. You can look back at my posts not raving about Orion airtime but damn it was hauling. No, it's still not better than Fury, though haha in my opinion. 

Racer blue is running better than red but they're both running like new. Especially Red. 

I rode Invertigo for the first time in probably 10 years and it's time for it to go. My head is so skinny how does anyone else fit their head between those padded OTSRs?! Damn that coaster is intense and rough. 

Windseeker is still playing the Harry Potter theme which is hilarious and confusing. 

The blue ice cream beer is so fucking good. How good is it? The brewery that makes it can't keep it in stock or on draft so it's pretty much a KI exclusive at this point. Sonder makes all of KI's beer and is close by and it's one of like 2 locations to get it. 

And on the opposite of good, KI is still experimenting with gourmet popcorn and I think they'll have plenty of chive in stock for a long time 🤣

20210728_131808.jpg

20210728_154522.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Visited the park on Wednesday and while it was 95* I had a great day due to low crowds. I honestly anticipated to ride Orion at opening and maybe Mystic but I was pleasantly surprised to see everything other than FoF at a 20 minute or less wait. 

Yes Mystic has the music working again.

Park music variety is back, it's not just those bluegrass covers all over on a loop. There's actually diversity in the park so idk if they paid up or what but thank goodness. 

Had the best rides on Orion. I still don't gray out at any point on the ride but I never remember hitting the trim as hard as it did. Which sucks but I really felt some airtime on the wave turn (almost took my ray bans off!!!) And the speed hill was epic. You can look back at my posts not raving about Orion airtime but damn it was hauling. No, it's still not better than Fury, though haha in my opinion. 

Racer blue is running better than red but they're both running like new. Especially Red. 

I rode Invertigo for the first time in probably 10 years and it's time for it to go. My head is so skinny how does anyone else fit their head between those padded OTSRs?! Damn that coaster is intense and rough. 

Windseeker is still playing the Harry Potter theme which is hilarious and confusing. 

The blue ice cream beer is so fucking good. How good is it? The brewery that makes it can't keep it in stock or on draft so it's pretty much a KI exclusive at this point. Sonder makes all of KI's beer and is close by and it's one of like 2 locations to get it. 

And on the opposite of good, KI is still experimenting with gourmet popcorn and I think they'll have plenty of chive in stock for a long time 🤣

20210728_131808.jpg

20210728_154522.jpg

Thank you for this!!!  I haven't been to KI since the mid-80s (when King Cobra was the big highlight!! LOL).  We are going in a couple of weeks and it's always good to get ideas of how the park is running, etc so we can plan ahead:) 

I was at the park yesterday and today. I was told by one of the Beast (relocated to Mystic Timbers) rideops that Thursday the general public was complaining about the roughness of the Beast, so they shut it down 2 hours early and relocated the rideops to other rides. Today I was there until 2, and it never opened. There wasn't anyone on the platform either. Maybe the guys were working on the track which you really can't see, even from Windbreaker.

1 hour ago, coasternut said:

I was at the park yesterday and today. I was told by one of the Beast (relocated to Mystic Timbers) rideops that Thursday the general public was complaining about the roughness of the Beast, so they shut it down 2 hours early and relocated the rideops to other rides. Today I was there until 2, and it never opened. There wasn't anyone on the platform either. Maybe the guys were working on the track which you really can't see, even from Windbreaker.

the lighting effects on "windbreaker" are amazing tho

fart GIF

• Haha 2

I would be all for a retracking and rehab on The Beast that keeps most of the course identical but updates a bit of the ride.  Maybe shortening or eliminating the brake shed and adding a floater hill and a mild reprofiling of a turn or 2 to allow them to be taken at higher speed and reduce the need for trims currently in place.  Nothing too extensive but enough to freshen up and smooth out the experience.

Pushaw I say.  The only thing I want them to do Beast is restore the skid brakes and replace the individual ratcheting lap bars with the original buzz-bars and lose the headrests.  You can keep the seat dividers and seat belts if you want.  It's already my #1 wooden coaster, restoring it to its original glory would only solidify that further.

(Edit) As an additional thought, there are dozens of wooden coasters out there that are older than Beast, some nearing or exceeding a hundred years old, that have not had recent substantial changes to their layout - Beast can run correctly as intended, it doesn't need to be modified any further.

• Like 2