TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If people would say , “The capital originally intended for CGA was repurposed for KI instead”, that makes more sense. But saying a coaster went to park A instead of park B... there’s absolutely no way

Oh yeah, no complaints alright. I just hope all this virus crap doesn't affect our 2021.

Just found out not too long ago the parks in our area can reopen but Santa Clara county is forcing them to stay shut. In other news, scbb might be the first to open under newsoms new guidelines. 

Posted Images

Anyone go to opening weekend?

Went today as well. All rides were walk-on's. Park was empty, felt even emptier after walking by the former sites of Endeavor and Loggers!! They had a cool Top Gun miniature an employee claimed was used to sell the model to the park. It wasn't working today though

IMG_8505.jpg.4794a3412a07ee9b91a4db73ee688bbd.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg.e57d14e802bc4cb12fde789f42e61158.jpg

it'll be interesting to see how much progress will be made on this by next weekend

IMG_8508.jpg.e068277e41e76dd5054bcc07570a2c84.jpg

IMG_8509.jpg.e5c67d817eb4f0dc678d12264e13971e.jpg

Wow! It almost doesn't look real. Amazing looking coaster.

Can't wait for the WCB, deff gunna spend some time in the bay area parks, esp CGA!

Wow! It almost doesn't look real. Amazing looking coaster.

Can't wait for the WCB, deff gunna spend some time in the bay area parks, esp CGA!

It will be worth it! I saw it in person on Saturday and pictures don't do it justice

That model was made with Coasterdynamix (they don't sell the system anymore) which was developed long after Top Gun was put into the park

So funny! He was adamant about it being ‘the way rollercoaster concepts were sold back then- because video POV’s weren’t a thing yet.’

Had a suspicion there was a hint of blah blah blahshyt in there. Either way, would have been cool to see it working. Hope we get some hints on what’s going in the cleared space soon! Rip out the go-carts too!

Since I had to be in the Bay Area yesterday for another reason, I decided to swing by CGA for a couple of hours before 6PM park closing. I wasn’t sure if it was going to be crowded or not because of Spring Break, but it wasn’t at all. Everything was a walk on or a one train wait, and all the coasters that were open were running two trains expect for Patriot. It was a limited operations day, so certain rides and restaurants were closed like Tiki Twirl, Grizzly, most of the kiddie rides, and the rapids. But the good rides and the sky ride was open, so all good. I arrived at the park at 4PM and did a loop around the park doing eight rides in two hours. Gold Striker is still my favorite woodie in CA, though I’ll give Ghostrider another chance next week to dethrone it. I wasn’t crazy about Patriot (my first time riding it since it was Vortex) and although it’s better than Vortex that’s not saying much - it’s got the B&M rattle and I prefer Scream even. Demon was decent though for how old it is, Drop Tower is as great as always, and Flight Deck is still running great. I also got to ride the Sky Ride back towards the front of the park since it was open , and since it was 85°F (which is hot AF for the Bay Area in March) I even rode the splash down water ride (forgot what it’s called) near were RailBlazer is going.

RailBlazer looks sweet - the track is pretty much complete and now they are working on the rock wall/theming, queue path and station. I got some pics of RailBlazer from different angles - here they are.

f0d4d9445fae6486b4c22dea48fc634a.jpg

The first view of RailBlazer I got when walking from Gold Striker and Patriot.

fb5fcdf43c45bbe7aadda4e08b675a54.jpg

The crew was working on the rock work as I was taking this shot. The rock theming is going to add an extra nice touch to this ride.

e18278201628c1b1953d8c7f1fcd39c1.jpg

The right side of RailBlazer and the entrance station.

ed519e009ba41816e71949279b28e13d.jpg

Close panorama of RailBlazer. What a great use of the former Invertigo spot! Will Dorney Park get lucky enough to get one of these?

4ba08c62c96ba35ffaf08c423996cc77.jpg

The best view of RailBlazer is from the nearby water ride which I rode because it was so damn warm (for March) and I got mildly splashed on the face. I’ll definitely be back to CGA when RailBlazer opens to ride it.

39cfbd79783217796720fc08425106e2.jpg

RailBlazer isn’t open yet but the main gift shop by the front entrance already has a RailBlazer section with a ton of their merchandise to sell.

5dbbc28ee358b6fe3ce482b2393b8079.jpg

Guess who already bought a RailBlazer shirt and is going to wear it to Boysenberry Fest next week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Silver Dollar City today and someone was wearing a Steel Vengeance T-shirt when neither the ride nor the park have even opened yet this year. Things happen.

I wonder where they got the Steel Vengeance shirt when Cedar Point isn't even open yet for the season. Which Cedar Fair parks are selling Steel Vengeance shirts? Or is someone selling fan made shirts online?

I was at Silver Dollar City today and someone was wearing a Steel Vengeance T-shirt when neither the ride nor the park have even opened yet this year. Things happen.

I wonder where they got the Steel Vengeance shirt when Cedar Point isn't even open yet for the season. Which Cedar Fair parks are selling Steel Vengeance shirts? Or is someone selling fan made shirts online?

Cedar Point was selling them during Halloweekends last year in some of their gift shops I believe.

^ Yes, Cedar Point was selling them in the fall. They tend to start selling merchandise for upcoming attractions early to get people excited... and make a few bucks. Did they not have Railblazer shirts back in the fall?

RailBlazer looks sweet - the track is pretty much complete and now they are working on the rock wall/theming, queue path and station. I got some pics of RailBlazer from different angles - here they are.

Those are some cracking pics! Definitely a visually stunning ride. The narrow track also makes it looks a lot taller than it really is. I'm really curious to hear the first reviews of these rides, and I hope we see a lot more of them in the coming years.

Cedar Point was selling them during Halloweekends last year in some of their gift shops I believe.

This is true. I asked the person where they had gotten the shirt given the Cedar Point wasn't open yet and they looked at me kind of stupid like: "Really?" He said he had gotten it last year.

I obviously knew where the shirt came from but I was not under the impression they were selling them last year.

^ Yes, Cedar Point was selling them in the fall. They tend to start selling merchandise for upcoming attractions early to get people excited... and make a few bucks. Did they not have Railblazer shirts back in the fall?

I didn’t go to CGA last year but Knott’s didn’t have any HangTime shirts last fall.

Those are some cracking pics! Definitely a visually stunning ride. The narrow track also makes it looks a lot taller than it really is. I'm really curious to hear the first reviews of these rides, and I hope we see a lot more of them in the coming years.

Thanks! I’ll be there to ride it when it opens, if not opening day then as soon as I have an available day to go up there, and I’ll take plenty of pictures and report back here on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true. I asked the person where they had gotten the shirt given the Cedar Point wasn't open yet and they looked at me kind of stupid like: "Really?" He said he had gotten it last year.

I obviously knew where the shirt came from but I was not under the impression they were selling them last year.

I was one of those people who bought a Steel Vengeance shirt during Halloweekends. It's so damn comfortable, I've been wearing it all the time to bed. I wore it to SDC as well but it was too cold to not wear a hoodie (mine happened to be a Lightning Rod hoodie).

Envying your guys' weather right now. It snowed here last night and we're less than two weeks away from KI opening.

I'm going to be in San Fran the first weekend of May so that should put me riiiight on track to continue my 2018 trend of visiting a park a month too early. I'm excited to check out the B&M's and Goldstriker!