TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If people would say , “The capital originally intended for CGA was repurposed for KI instead”, that makes more sense. But saying a coaster went to park A instead of park B... there’s absolutely no way

Oh yeah, no complaints alright. I just hope all this virus crap doesn't affect our 2021.

Just found out not too long ago the parks in our area can reopen but Santa Clara county is forcing them to stay shut. In other news, scbb might be the first to open under newsoms new guidelines. 

Posted Images

There are a ton of reasons why they can go in different orders. Theming can be one, but also the foundation can cause a lot of issues. Depending on the makeup of the ground and the size and depth of the concrete blocks, it can take longer to cure or to support the weight. We had a lot of issues when we were building our slides at the waterpark I used to work at. We were built on a landfill next to a river, so there were a lot of issues with curing the concrete and the sizing.

There are a ton of reasons why they can go in different orders. Theming can be one, but also the foundation can cause a lot of issues. Depending on the makeup of the ground and the size and depth of the concrete blocks, it can take longer to cure or to support the weight. We had a lot of issues when we were building our slides at the waterpark I used to work at. We were built on a landfill next to a river, so there were a lot of issues with curing the concrete and the sizing.

This is all true.

Two other possible reasons: Crane access and staging area locations might be different and might require certain areas to be erected before or after others. Also consider that the RMC install crew may be trying different installation techniques in order to optimize Raptor construction for future projects. We are constantly trying to optimize on-site install time at my waterslide company.

The parts have definitely gone up in different order. I believe GLC began with the final turnaround before the brake run while RailBlazer started with the upward helix leading toward the mid course drop, followed by the midcourse drop...then they began going "backwards" to build the off-axis airtime hill. I guess different contractors... As long as they can get the track pieces in without another interfering/being in the way, then probably doesn't matter too much. I see construction (in person) practically every day and has been fun seeing it go up. With this said I've nearly memorized the order the track segments went in.

Part of the raven turn went up this morning, followed by putting up the cutback. RailBlazer has yet to have the vertical drop installed which I look forward to seeing soon. Yesterday, the off-axis airtime hill was finished and base of the "coming out" of the raven turn was done.

WW obviously doesn't have to worry about plumbing as RR would. WW literally can just be plopped and just have a station build around it.

Isn't WW going to be over water as well?

They've made some quick work of Railblazer this week, amazing how fast these Raptors can be erected.

The parts have definitely gone up in different order. I believe GLC began with the final turnaround before the brake run while RailBlazer started with the upward helix leading toward the mid course drop, followed by the midcourse drop...then they began going "backwards" to build the off-axis airtime hill. I guess different contractors... As long as they can get the track pieces in without another interfering/being in the way, then probably doesn't matter too much. I see construction (in person) practically every day and has been fun seeing it go up. With this said I've nearly memorized the order the track segments went in.

Part of the raven turn went up this morning, followed by putting up the cutback. RailBlazer has yet to have the vertical drop installed which I look forward to seeing soon. Yesterday, the off-axis airtime hill was finished and base of the "coming out" of the raven turn was done.

WW obviously doesn't have to worry about plumbing as RR would. WW literally can just be plopped and just have a station build around it.

Isn't WW going to be over water as well?

They've made some quick work of Railblazer this week, amazing how fast these Raptors can be erected.

I just rewatched the video and you are right! But it is literally just a man-made pond with no interaction with the coaster itself, unlike RailBlazer.

^ Isn't WW is already complete though? We know WW is supposed to open in March but has CGA announced an opening month for RailBlazer yet? So right now I think WW will open first.

Much as I'd love to have it ready by opening day, my guess is that it'll most likely open sometime between April and May. Especially when you consider not just the theming, but also the fact that it's one of the first RMC Raptors being built which will probably take an extensive time for testing and make sure that it doesn't constantly break down or something.

Railblazer may very be the first Raptor to open. WW seems to be taking longer.

Serious question: why does anybody give a sh*t about which of these rides opens first?

Six Flags definitely seems to since they strayed from their usual announcement day. Marketing the world's first definitely has its advantages.

But for me personally, I just want to see either of these two open and hear how they ride.

Do we know what type of restraints these things will have? I think I remember reading it will be an OTSR, but do we know if it’s a belt, vest, bar, etc.? It’ll be interesting to see what RMC develops since they’ve only done lap bars.

Railblazer may very be the first Raptor to open. WW seems to be taking longer.

Serious question: why does anybody give a sh*t about which of these rides opens first?

Because the first one to open can legit claim the world's first operation Raptor. While that doesn't matter to me, to those still playing the whole Six Flags vs Cedar Fair game, apparently it matters.

I absolutely get that the parks/chains would care from a marketing standpoint, because of the whole worlds first thing. That's not what I mean. I just don't get why its such a concern for enthusiasts. It just plays into this whole "Six Flags against Cedar Fair" thing, which goes way beyond just this one instance, that I don't get and don't think I ever will.

Six Flags had better get theirs open first since they claimed it would be the worlds first. I think with all the rock work/tunnels etc that CGA has to do, SFFT will likely open first.

And for the record I don't want it to seem like I'm calling out WestCoasterKing, I just quoted him since it reminded me this is a thing that enthusiasts seem to care about as I've seen it here and elsewhere. It'll be cool to see how they ride once one/both of them open, and its been super cool to see them go up since they're super weird looking, but why is this a race to everyone? Maybe I'm just getting old.