TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

5 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

If it makes you feel better, the B&Ms at Kings Island closed mid-day due to temperature and didn't reopen.  Beast was posting a 3 hour wait on the app.

Oh, a night ride on the beast would of been a wonderful experience and a great way to end the season. They did eventually open Wicked Twister for a few hours and we got to ride that as well. 

We made the most out of it though, got to do a lot of flats we normally skip. Fortunately we got to do a good bit Saturday night which made up for the almost non existent coaster line up today.  I was honestly surprised since almost all of the coasters were fully staffed the entire time, but even the ride ops said even though things could change. It’s likely a wash for the day for any of the major coasters. They worked early on in the day getting Maverick open, but after 20 minute of testing had to close again due to wind. 

After a very cold, windy and at times snowy day. Still had fun and I definitely understand why the park really can’t do a winter or holiday event. Hopefully they lax up a bit on the restrictions for the rides/coasters that don’t have wind/temp issues. 

On 10/30/2020 at 12:36 PM, boldikus said:

OK these are freaking cool. https://cedarpointonlineshop.com/

I got a small Gorilla wooden cutout puzzle thing a while ago from Lootcrate.  They're finicky but the finished product is pretty cool.  I wouldn't spend $200 on one myself but they've definitely been added to my Christmas list this year.

On 11/5/2020 at 7:26 PM, Haymaker said:

Cedar Point blog posted some behind the scenes pics and info on the winter shutdown process

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/the-teardown-process-has-begun

teardown4.jpg

They really could send some of these cars to Holiday Park to create a second train for GeForce. I'll gladly bring them with me back the next time I'm over there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 8:28 PM, KIEnthusiast said:

Winterfest would not work, but could CP, do a Taste of the Season event in the future?

Most of the year the park is filled with food trucks while a good portion of the parks food stands are closed.  Not sure if this would go over well just again due to how far away CP is from population centers.  I for one would have no interest driving in from Cleveland to go to a food truck even where a lot of the trucks are from Cleveland anyway.  

I think it's more likely CP extends the season a few weeks into November and see how it goes first.  

I also think you would need a lot of infrastructure improvements, something like Harmony Hall or Festhaus built before any true December event can be taken seriously.  Plus staffing is always the elephant in the room for CP.  Even on a small scale event.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking into possibly booking a stay at Hotel Breakers for next year on the park website, and May 27th (Thursday before Memorial Day) was the earliest date that you could make a reservation for. Looks like CP could be opening a few weeks later than usual in 2021?

6 hours ago, VF15 said:

I was looking into possibly booking a stay at Hotel Breakers for next year on the park website, and May 27th (Thursday before Memorial Day) was the earliest date that you could make a reservation for. Looks like CP could be opening a few weeks later than usual in 2021?

If you postpone your visit for a week, they'll possibly/probably be running their annual CoasterMANIA! by then. First Friday of June it happens, I remember. Which means it will be on (I think?) June 4th, 2021. 🎢

On 12/23/2020 at 8:15 PM, Nrthwnd said:

If you postpone your visit for a week, they'll possibly/probably be running their annual CoasterMANIA! by then. First Friday of June it happens, I remember. Which means it will be on (I think?) June 4th, 2021. 🎢

If it happens, Bill, IF it happens :(

Cedar Fair stated in a conference call that they may open some parks late this year so it makes complete and total sense that they would consider opening Cedar Point late so they don’t have to invest in the covid safety infrastructure that they already have in place from this season anyway.

I’m not saying it will happen but the fact that they’re even considering it is just the most “Cedar Fair” thing ever.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:44 AM, Pedrinho said:

If it happens, Bill, IF it happens :(

Well hopefully, they'll give enough advance notice about it. One way or the other, hope you eventually have a great visit there. 🎠

• 2 weeks later...

I can see CP opening late due to staffing concerns once again.  If there is little to no foreign help coming in again it just makes sense from a business stand point to reduce operating days before most universities and schools are out.  If they're able to reopen all the parks they won't even have the small pool of full-timers from elsewhere in the chain to help out.  

Does it suck for us?  Yep, but 2021 will most likely be this odd recovery year for most parks.  Things will semi-normalize but at the same time we will see some changes remain in effect like reduction of hours or operating days.  I think the lasting effects of Covid, including travel bans, etc effecting park operations will last longer then we expect sadly.  

32 minutes ago, WolfBobs said:

I can see CP opening late due to staffing concerns once again.  If there is little to no foreign help coming in again it just makes sense from a business stand point to reduce operating days before most universities and schools are out.  If they're able to reopen all the parks they won't even have the small pool of full-timers from elsewhere in the chain to help out.  

Does it suck for us?  Yep, but 2021 will most likely be this odd recovery year for most parks.  Things will semi-normalize but at the same time we will see some changes remain in effect like reduction of hours or operating days.  I think the lasting effects of Covid, including travel bans, etc effecting park operations will last longer then we expect sadly.  

I feel bad because this is all I post about lately but no... if a park has the ability to open and there's demand and they choose to stay closed then they're dumb. Period. Be creative and figure it out.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg, SeaWorld San Antonio and Sesame Place are aggressively pushing out their calendars. Six Flags is doing everything they can to open in some capacity absolutely everywhere and always opens right away as soon as they get the green light from the state. Cedar Fair is the only company that thinks the best way to run a theme park company in 2020 and 2021 is to crawl up in the fetal position and do their best to never actually open their business (Okay, I guess Parques Reunidos is doing the same thing but they're the worst company ever so that's to be expected).

Cedar Point is always understaffed. They need to figure it out. Nobody is saying that they need to be running both car rides on opening day but I'm sick of acting like this park is competent when year-after-year they have no staff but on a day where they have to close B&Ms for staffing they run a crew of about 20 people on Top Thrill Dragster when Six Flags runs Kingda Ka with a quarter of that ("but it would need to be reprogrammed"... okay, so since this happens every year then maybe it's time to do that) . Figure out how to get more staff or get better at running your park with less staff. Nitro was running last weekend with 3 operators with one of them grouping, running Flash Pass and checking 18 seats and they weren't stacking. Is that ideal? No. Is it better than saying "Well, it's almost Memorial Day and we're right on Lake Erie but it just makes sense from a business perspective to not even make an effort and have to credit our passholders for a few months in 2022 and end up giving them 2 1/2 years for the price of one even though Six Flags managed to bill the majority of people every single month that they were closed because they promised to give away an extra skip-the-line-pass each visit once they reopened... a benefit that cost them essentially nothing.

I'm sorry all I've been doing lately is bashing Cedar Fair but they deserve it.

• Like 9

I'd love for them to open on time/early. CF knows how many gold/plat pass holders are out there, and there's a ton of em! Possibly the most they've ever sold? People will be more willing to travel this year and get their annual vacations back on track and eager to visit.