TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So, I was looking through this trip report from Winter Chill Out in (Feb?) 2015, and this really stuck out to me:

. . . They were teasing us with a shot of a rocky mountain coaster. . .

Has this RMC Mean Streak stuff really been going on this long?? I can't believe that it's finally happening. . .

dunno bout the actual teasing from the park but i'm pretty sure everyone has wanted this ever since New Texas giant

That's was one of the best winter tours I have ever went on because of the snow.

But yeah, they had a teaser in the slide show. I believe it was a shot of Texas giant if memory serves me.

So, I was looking through this trip report from Winter Chill Out in (Feb?) 2015, and this really stuck out to me:

. . . They were teasing us with a shot of a rocky mountain coaster. . .

Has this RMC Mean Streak stuff really been going on this long?? I can't believe that it's finally happening. . .

I can confirm from Winter Chill out Feb 2015. Jason McClure & Tony Clark were clicking through slides, going through the slideshow and 1 slide was a picture of Outlaw Runs double barrel roll. They both go "Whoops!" and quickly clicked to the next slide. Later in that session there was a Q&A and if anybody asked about that slide before the people asking could finish their question Tony or Jason would respond with "I don't know what you're talking about"

^That is hilarious. They are having such a great time with this. More power to em!

I'm betting you all money, once the holidays are over and Cedar Point sees an adequate amount of platinum passes purchased, they will announced RMC Mean Streak and market it alongside with Cedar Point Shores.

How much can you bet? Just kidding. That is an interesting theory you have, time will tell!

I'm betting you all money, once the holidays are over and Cedar Point sees an adequate amount of platinum passes purchased, they will announced RMC Mean Streak and market it alongside with Cedar Point Shores.

How much? You have my attention.

I honestly wonder what a 500 foot coaster would be like. The 500 ft tall version of an Intamin or B&M hyper coaster would be awesome. Imagine if it had a drop like Mavrick too.
I did that in FVD++, or at least I started one.

The drop exceeds 500 feet and pitches beyond vertical, though I don't remember the stats beyond that.

Edit: I do know that I design my FVD++ tracks to have reasonable, even if intense, forces.

Edited by BigBad

Oh come on. . . As much as we would all like to dream. . . Let's be honest, when Cedar Point does finally go over 500ft, it's going to be a Polercoaster.

i can only imagine how often a 500 ft polercoaster would be shut down at cedar point. wind 500 ft in the air can get pretty bad, and that's not even considering lake erie being within feet of where the coaster would be, adding even more wind.

With what seems to be a success at Six Flags with Holiday in the Park. Does anyone think Cedar Fair may follow suit at Cedar Point, or is the winter weather just too much in Sandusky? With Cedar Points operating schedule only being from May-Oct it is among the shortest of major amusement parks. I would guess with all the hotel renovations they would want them to be open as much as possible. They could decorate breakers for the holidays and have hot chocolate at the fire pits out back. Even if only a few coasters were open I would probably make a trip out as long as there was one good one open. Maverick seems to run well in cold and high wind situations. Opening week 2015 it was the only coaster open when there was 50 MPH winds and 45 degree temps. Any thoughts? I would love it.

With what seems to be a success at Six Flags with Holiday in the Park. Does anyone think Cedar Fair may follow suit at Cedar Point, or is the winter weather just too much in Sandusky?

Carowinds will start having "Winterfest" in fall 2017 which makes a lot of sense given the NC/SC location. The amount of inclement weather Cedar Point gets would likely not make the best location for a winter event.

With what seems to be a success at Six Flags with Holiday in the Park. Does anyone think Cedar Fair may follow suit at Cedar Point, or is the winter weather just too much in Sandusky?

I don't see any chance of this ever happening. Winters at Cedar Point are cold, snowy, windy and miserable. The average temperatures for the month of December are more than 10 degrees below the averages for parks like Six Flags St Louis and Great Adventure and this doesn't factor in the high winds that Cedar Point is notorious for. Unlike Six Flags, Cedar Fair actually listens to the manufacturers for some reason so if that forecast is correct for the rest of the month then between now and New Years there are a grand total of 2 days where the temperature would allow them to open a coaster.

Maverick seems to run well in cold and high wind situations. Opening week 2015 it was the only coaster open when there was 50 MPH winds and 45 degree temps. Any thoughts? I would love it.

If you opened Maverick you would need to open and staff almost the entire park. I guess you could cut off the the midway at Corkscrew and close the train gate so everyone walks through Frontier Trail which would be awesome for Christmas.. but still, sadly there's just no way. The weather is way too awful. There's a better chance of Cedar Fair expanding this to every other park in the chain before they get to Cedar Point, probably including Wonderland.

To me, the next logical step is Kings Dominion.

With what seems to be a success at Six Flags with Holiday in the Park. Does anyone think Cedar Fair may follow suit at Cedar Point, or is the winter weather just too much in Sandusky? With Cedar Points operating schedule only being from May-Oct it is among the shortest of major amusement parks. I would guess with all the hotel renovations they would want them to be open as much as possible. They could decorate breakers for the holidays and have hot chocolate at the fire pits out back. Even if only a few coasters were open I would probably make a trip out as long as there was one good one open. Maverick seems to run well in cold and high wind situations. Opening week 2015 it was the only coaster open when there was 50 MPH winds and 45 degree temps. Any thoughts? I would love it.

I'd say no because of the lack of non local visitors.